Chapter 34

Untouchable Face

Since working for the Hankook Ilbo, Bomi has written hundreds of articles. But Bomi started from the bottom of the ladder, writing the obituaries. She's written obituaries for mothers, daughters, fathers, sons, siblings, grandmothers, everybody. She's written an obituary for a hundred year old woman and another for a two year old child.

When a name used to be placed on her desk, she immediately started to put their life in chronological order. She's grown so accustomed to thinking about how to sum up a person's life in a few words, she finds herself mentally writing her own obituary. Except it isn't the end of her life she's describing, it's the end of her and Eunji's friendship.

Yoon Bomi and Jung Eunji (1999 – 2019)

A twenty year old friendship died a sudden death tonight. The cause of death was betrayal and dishonesty. Having faced troubles before, both Bomi and Eunji fought for their friendship and although it recovered to a certain event, things were never quite the same. Unfortunately, life can be unfair and this friendship paid the ultimate price.

She scratches a non-existent itch above her eyebrow and silently contemplates what her own obituary would say if she died tonight. Whether the person writing it would analyse her life. Would they wonder what kind of person she had been or would she receive a generic message. Would they judge her for her behaviour?

She will be remembered for her ual promiscuity and her cowardice.

If there's one thing you can say about Yoon Bomi, it's that in the face of confrontation, she's a coward. She doesn't like confrontation, she doesn't know how to act during a confrontation and the only thing she ever wants to do is run away.

She left Chorong at the wedding, abandoned her, and walked away, unable to deal with everything.

She went to the only place she knew she wouldn't be pressure to talk.

The only place she knew she would have some form of an escape.

She went to her sister's.

"Here you go," Sunmi says as she holds one of her old, tattered jumper for Bomi to take. "I know it's old but you look cold."

Bomi accepts them gratefully and shrugs the jumper over her dress. "Thanks sis."

"Do you want a drink?" Sunmi asks, rubbing the back of her neck. "I have wine or something stronger, whisky maybe?"

"Why do I everything up?" Bomi states, ignoring Sunmi's offer of a drink. "I mean, I always mess things up."

"What's happened?" Her sister pours her a glass of whisky and places it in front of her. "I expected you to be celebrating until the early hours of the morning but here you are, at ten o'clock in my living room with puffy eyes and a distinct look of heartbreak disguised by your usual strong façade."

"Would you rather have the long version or the short version?"

"Whichever is easier for you to say."

Bomi exhales heavily. "I'm in love with Eunji's girlfriend and we've sort of been having an emotional and occasionally physical affair for months. Oh and the kicker, Eunji has just found out about it during the wedding."

"You're in love with Eunji's girlfriend?" Sunmi breathes out slowly; she's not used to hearing Bomi talk about love.

Growing up, Bomi hadn't really been good at showcasing her feelings. When their grandfather died, Sunmi cried for days but Bomi didn't cry, at least not in front of anybody. She held her feelings together inside and that's how Bomi copes.

She's stoic when it comes to feelings so hearing her talk so freely and openly about being in love is a rather nice change.

"I know you probably find it hard to believe but yes I do."

Her sister smiles lightly. "I don't find that hard to believe, you're human Bomi. Being human means you are capable of loving another person."

"Yeah, I guess I just didn't choose the right person to love."

"Who says?" Sunmi remarks quickly.

"Mom isn't best pleased and I'm sure once she's told dad everything, he won't be exactly jumping for joy." Bomi says sadly

"When I brought Taemin home to meet mom and dad, they didn't like him. They thought he was rather pompous and I could do better."

"Really?"

Sunmi nods slowly. "At the end of the day Bomi, it doesn't matter whether it's the right person for everybody else; it only matters if they're the right person for you. Is she?"

Bomi swallows and raises her head. "Yeah, she is."

Sunmi places her hand on Bomi's thigh. "Then don't worry about anybody else."

"How can you say that? You've always treated Eunji like a little sister and now I've broken her heart."

"I may have treated her like a little sister but you are my little sister, I will always side with you, no matter what you do," Sunmi reassures her quietly. "Okay, the situation is difficult and what you've done isn't the best thing but there's nothing you can do about that now. You can't go back in time and make sure you don't fall in love with her."

"I know that."

"I know you probably hate yourself right now but I will always love you," Sunmi tells her softly. "That will never change, no matter what you do. Even if I don't agree with what you've done, you'll always have me."

"Thank you."

"Anytime." Her sister curls some hair behind her ear and raises her right eyebrow. "So, what is she like?"

Bomi finds herself smiling at the mere thought of Chorong. "She's absolutely perfect; she's the complete opposite of me and I think that's what I need. For every bad trait I have, she sees two good traits. I...For years I've been somebody who sleeps with anybody, never caring about them, but she makes me more than that person. When I'm with her, I feel…I couldn't imagine going back to being the person I used to be. It's as if nothing will ever be as good as when I'm with her."

"Well don't you sound smitten?"

"I am," Bomi replies, her cheeks flushing pink. "But once again, I've monumentally ruined everything."

"What do you mean?"

She picks up her whisky and swallows the contents in one go. "After everything blew up at the wedding, I walked away from Chorong. I told her I needed to go for a walk and I wanted to be alone. I could see it on her face; she looked devastated that I was running away from her, she thought I didn't want her. She didn't say that but I could see it on her face."

"Do you want her?"

"Of course I do, I…I just…I'm not great at dealing with relationships."

"I think you're better than you know."

"Chorong's said that to me before," Bomi replies. "I said I wasn't good at feelings and she told me I'm better than I know."

"There you go then."

Bomi tugs her bottom lip between her teeth nervously. "What if I'm not? What if she sees something in me because she wants to, but it's not really there? What if, after all that's happened, I mess it up?"

"Bomi –"

"What if I'm not good enough?"

She never hears Sunmi's answer because before her sister can answer, they're interrupted.

"Auntie Bomi," Jinsol shouts as she runs down the stairs and jumps into Bomi's lap, nearly knocking the empty glass over.

"Jinsol," Sunmi says firmly. "How many times have I told you, don't run down the stairs?"

The young girl ducks her head bashfully. "Sorry mom."

"You're supposed to be in bed young lady," her mother continues.

Jinsol raises her head. "I heard Auntie Bomi and I wanted to see her."

Sunmi raises her right eyebrow. "Five minutes, you can't mess up your sleep pattern."

"How are you JinJin?" Bomi asks, tickling Jinsol lightly in the ribs, causing the young girl to emit a squeal of laughter.

"I lost another tooth," she replies, opening wide so Bomi can see the gap.

"You're not going to have any teeth left at this rate."

Jinsol grins. "Why are you sad?"

"I'm not sad sweetie."

The little girl tilts her head to the side. "You look sad, you're not smiling as much as usual."

Bomi chuckles dryly, amazed that this six year old can read her like a book. "I've done something wrong and I've hurt somebody."

"What have you done?"

Bomi glances at Sunmi but her sister merely stares at her. "Do you remember at Christmas, you asked me if Santa Claus had brought me a girlfriend?" Jinsol bobs her head emphatically. "Well I think he might have finally brought me one."

"But it's not Christmas."

"Yeah, I guess I'm just lucky," Bomi replies. "He made a special exception for me."

"Is it Chorong?"

Sunmi furrows her brow lightly. "Chorong?"

Bomi turns to face her sister and mouths the word 'Eunji's girlfriend' before turning her attention back to Jinsol. "Yeah, it's Chorong."

"Is she here?"

"No sweetie, she's busy," Bomi tells her. "But I'm sure you'll see her soon."

"If Chorong's now your girlfriend, you should be happy."

"It isn't that simple JinJin, it's a lot more complicated than that."

Jinsol frowns. "Why?"

Bomi opens to answer but Sunmi beats her to it. "It just is Jinsol and it's far too complicated to explain to somebody who should be in bed. Come on, let's go."

Jinsol pouts but when she sees the look her mother is sending her way, she nods but doesn't move. "Can Auntie Bomi read me a story?"

"Of course," Bomi stands up, keeping a hold of Jinsol and heads towards the stairs. "Sis, I wouldn't mind another drink if one is going."

"There's always an offer of a drink at my place," Sunmi replies with a laugh.


 

Four hours.

That's how long it's been since she watched Bomi walk away from her at the wedding, with the promise that she'll call her.

Three hours and fifty nine minutes.

That's how long it's been since she started waiting for a phone call from Bomi.

She stayed at the wedding for about an hour more after Bomi left before she asked her dad to drive her to their rental home for this weekend. There's only so many times she could stand Eunji glaring at her or feeling her heart break every time she saw her ex-girlfriend's tear-stained eyes.

Nothing has been made official but she can't call Eunji anything other than her ex-girlfriend now, not after what has happened between them.

Besides, sometimes you don't need to actually hear the words to know something is over.

Her dad places a cup of hot chocolate in front of her and she smiles gratefully at him. She knows he's itching to ask her what happened at the wedding but he's biting his tongue and she's thankful for that.

"As a child, you always loved a mug of hot chocolate when you were upset," Jongin comments. "I prefer something stronger myself but hot chocolate has always been the best cure for you."

"Thank you." Chorong taps her fingers impatiently against the back of her cell phone. "Dad, would you be able to do me a favour and call my phone?"

"Sweetheart, you are aware of the saying 'a watched kettle never boils'," her father replies but regardless, he starts dialling Chorong's number. Once her phone starts ringing, Chorong sighs heavily through frustration and Jongin disconnects the call. "I take it your phone isn't broken then."

"No," Chorong says quietly. She feels unbelievably ridiculous waiting for this call from Bomi. She's acting like a love-struck teenager who can't function until she's spoken to the person she's in love with.

It's nerve-racking, the not knowing.

She doesn't know where Bomi is or what she's doing. Chorong prefers to talk things through but clearly Bomi doesn't share that sentiment. Obviously Bomi prefers to handle things alone.

"Are you expecting somebody to ring?"

"I was," Chorong admits. "However, I am starting to believe that a call is not coming."

A knock at her front door causes her attention to shift from her father to the door.

"Should I get that?"

Chorong shakes her head. She's willing to put money on the fact that the person behind the door will either be Eunji, come to talk about everything once more, or Hayoung, come to berate her for her behaviour and scold her for ruining what should have been the happiest day of her life.

Neither person is better than the other.

She stands from the couch and heads towards the front door, wringing her hands nervously. She glances towards her father who walks towards a bedroom, clearly expecting the same person as Chorong.

Taking a deep breath, she opens the door slowly and her worry dissipates when she sees Bomi standing in front of her.

"Hello."

She tries to keep her voice calm and steady but she can't pretend she isn't delighted to see Bomi. She wanted to believe Bomi when she said she'd call but waiting has been far from pleasant. Seeing Bomi at her apartment has certainly lifted her spirits.

"Hello."

Chorong isn't sure who steps forward first but before she knows it, Bomi's arms are wrapped around hers. Bomi's wearing a tattered sweater over her bridesmaids dress and Chorong can smell the stale stench of cigarettes clinging to Bomi's clothes and along with the scent of alcohol on the woman's breath.

"You've been smoking and drinking," she whispers against the woman's neck.

Bomi chuckles lightly before pulling away. "You seem to have a nose like a bloodhound."

"Well, I do have a highly acute sense of smell. I always have."

"I had a couple of cigarettes," Bomi says quietly. "I told you, they calm me down."

"And the alcohol?"

"I may or may not have drunk copious amounts of whisky."

Chorong frowns. "Did you go to a bar?"

"No, I went to my sister's." Bomi scratches the back of her head nervously. "I'm sorry I walked away from you earlier today."

"It's okay."

"Can I come in?"

"Of course you can." Chorong gestures for her to come inside before she wraps her fingers around Bomi's wrist, stilling her. "My dad is inside."

Bomi freezes and steps back over the threshold so she's in the corridor. "I suppose I should leave then."

"I don't want you to go," Chorong confesses quietly. "I want you to be here with me."

"I don't think your dad will want to see me," Bomi replies just as quietly, she's not sure how close to the front door Chorong's father is and she doesn't want him to hear. "I'm the person that's just destroyed his daughter's relationship."

"I destroyed my own relationship Bomi and he doesn't treat me any differently."

"You're his daughter, I'm this entity who has just appeared and ruined everything."

Chorong entwines her fingers with Bomi's. "I understand that you're cautious of meeting my dad but I'd really love it if you stayed with me, although I don't know whether you'll want to be here if my dad is."

The corners of Bomi's mouth curl upwards in a lazy smile and she steps forward, brushing her lips against Chorong's in the most delicate of touches. "I want to be with you. If that means I'm going to meet your dad, then I guess I'm meeting your dad."

Chorong grins widely. "I love you."

"I love you too."

"Come inside." Chorong tugs on Bomi's hand and guides her inside, closing the door behind the pair of them.

"Who was it?"

Bomi swallows hard when she sees Chorong's father emerge from one of the bedrooms.

"Dad, this is Bomi."

"It's lovely to meet you Mr Park."

Jongin furrows his brow and it's enough to make Bomi's palms grow sweaty. She feels Chorong give her hand a comforting squeeze.

"How about we sit down and I'll make us something to eat," Chorong suggests. It takes a while but eventually Jongin nods.


 

Bomi pushes the leftover food around her plate nervously. She's felt Mr Park's eyes on her since the moment she sat down at the table.

"Where's Sana?"

"Momo booked a spontaneous weekend trip," Chorong explains. "Naturally Sana was thrilled."

"If you'll excuse me for a minute, I'm just nipping to the bathroom," Jongin announces as he stands up.

Once he's a safe distance away, Bomi exhales heavily. She didn't even realise she'd been holding her breath.

"When dad comes back, I'm going to start clearing away the plates," Chorong whispers into Bomi's ear, giving her thigh a gentle squeeze. "Give you some time alone with him."

Bomi frowns and whips her head to face Chorong. "Don't."

Chorong smiles softly and pecks the woman's cheek. "He wants to talk to you."

Bomi glances towards the bathroom to check whether Jongin is returning yet but the door is still closed. "Chorong, he's not going to like me..."

"Just be you and he'll love you like I do."

"You have a lot more confidence than I do," Bomi replies honestly. She leans forward and rests her forehead against Chorong's. "I don't want to mess this up."

"You won't."

When she hears the distinct sound of a door unlocking, her eyes close subconsciously. "Don't hate me if I say the wrong thing."

"I could never hate you."

Chorong stands once Jongin walks over to the table and starts collecting the plates. Jongin takes his seat at the table.

"So Bomi," Jongin starts, taking a sip of his wine. "What do you do?"

Bomi frowns and watches as Chorong walks away from them and towards the kitchen, leaving Bomi and her dad alone. She had expected an interrogation from Chorong's dad but she had been expecting questions like 'why did you sleep with Chorong even though you knew she had a girlfriend?'

"I'm a sports columnist for the Hankbook Ilbo."

"Is that what you want to do?"

Bomi shakes her head. "I'd rather be a sports reporter but you have to start at the bottom and work your way up in life."

"Yes, you do," Jongin agrees. "That's an admirable way of viewing work."

"My father drilled that little nugget of information into me from a young age."

"I'm not going to beat around the bush with you Bomi and I certainly don't want to give you the wrong impression," he states and Bomi looks up quickly, clearly this is the interrogation she has been waiting for. "I'm not happy you slept with Chorong knowing full well she had a girlfriend, a girlfriend who just so happened to be your best friend."

"I know what I did was wrong."

"I'm also not happy that this probably isn't the first time you slept with somebody who was unavailable."

"No, it's not."

He holds his hand up to silence her but he does it in such a polite manner that Bomi finds it hard to be offended. "Nevertheless I've seen the way you look at Chorong and I've seen the way she looks at you. It's obvious you're in love with her and she feels the same way about you. All I want is my little girl to be happy and I've seen how she lights up around you so that causes me to feel a certain amount of relief. However, I am worried."

"Worried about what?"

"I'm worried that since you slept with her while she was attached and you've slept with other attached women, you don't care about the concept of right and wrong. You do what you want to do, regardless of the consequences. As a result, who is to say you won't cheat on my daughter?"

"I won't cheat on Chorong, Mr Park. I know it probably doesn't mean much coming from me but I'm telling you the truth."

"I want to believe you Bomi but you and I both know I can't," he explains. "I don't know you but Chorong really sings your praises. Ever since Christmas, she's been talking about you and I knew she had started to have feelings for somebody other than Eunji. She didn't tell me who you were but I think she's been in love with you for a while." Bomi feels her cheeks growing hotter. "I trust my daughter's judgement but I can't have you hurt her."

Bomi glances to the left where Chorong is washing the plates. Although Bomi guesses she's probably listening intently to their conversation.

"I've hurt a few people in my life," Bomi answers honestly. "Women I've slept with and then left without a second thought but the truth is, that never really bothered me before. I know that is a horrible thing to see and probably dampers your already poor opinion of me but I want to be honest. I don't know you sir but I have a feeling you'll respect me a little more if I'm honest with you. I've only been in love once and it didn't end well, she broke my heart. After that point, I didn't care about who I slept with."

"I see."

"Then I met your daughter and it will sound cliché but everything changed," Bomi continues. "Eunji has been my best friend since we were four years old and today, I broke her heart because I'm in love with Chorong and I chose her over Eunji."

"There's no guarantee you won't choose somebody else over Chorong in the future."

"No, you're right. There is no guarantee because nobody knows what is going to happen in the future," Bomi tells him and his eyes narrow suspiciously at her. "But I'm more worried she'll leave me instead of being worried I'd cheat on her."

"Why's that?"

"Because as you probably already think, I'm not exactly the perfect catch," she says quietly. "I can imagine that the person you imagined Chorong bringing home to meet you is someone respectable, smart and who is completely devoted to you daughter, not somebody that has notches on their bedpost. Somebody like Eunji."

"Well –"

"I'm not really respectable, I like to think I'm smart but I am completely devoted to Chorong."

"Bomi –" Jongin tries once more.

"I might not be your favourite choice for Chorong's girlfriend and I understand that but I want you to know that I am in love with her and even though I want you to like me, you not liking me won't change how I feel about Chorong. I've hurt too many people already; I'm not going to hurt Chorong. If I do, you have my permission to smack me."

Jongin releases a dry chuckle. "I don't think that will be necessary."

"I give you permission anyway."

Jongin sips at his wine and Bomi mimics his actions. "You're right you know," he starts and Bomi's eyes widen. "You're not my favourite choice for Chorong's girlfriend. When she brought Eunji home to meet me, I was over the moon because I could tell Eunji loved her. I would have been quite content for Chorong to marry Eunji."

"I –"

"But Chorong wouldn't have been content to marry her and what Chorong wants means more to me than anything. Since my wife passed away, Chorong has been my rock. She's the person I love the most in this world and I can tell that what she has with you and what she had with Eunji is different. She loves you, so at the end of the day, it doesn't matter whether you're my first choice for her girlfriend because you're hers."

"I understand that Mr Park."

Bomi takes another sip of her wine, feeling slightly calmer now. "So, just how many notches are we talking about?"

She splutters and coughs as the question leaves his lips. "Not too many." He raises his eyebrow suggestively and she feels unnerved by the action. "A few." If possible his eyebrow rises even higher. "A lot but none of them were important." When Jongin frowns she shakes her head. "I mean Chorong is, but nobody else…most of them were one-night stands that didn't mean anything and I'm going to stop talking right now."

She buries her head in her hands and closes her eyes. She thought she'd won him round but now; any progress they'd made has surely just been undone by her constant rambling.

"Dad, leave her alone," Chorong announces as she takes a seat beside Bomi. "Are you okay?"

"She's fine," Jongin answers for the woman. "I'm not the big bad wolf Chorong."

"I know you're not but Bomi wasn't exactly expecting to meet you tonight, I'm sure it's rather overwhelming for her and I just want to make sure she's okay."

"Your dad's right Chorong."

Jongin smiles before standing up and grabbing his coat from the back of the couch. "I suppose I should be leaving and I have to admit, I would have preferred to be in bed a little earlier than this but obviously, you'll always come first Chorong."

Chorong grins. "I'll see you to your bedroom," she tells him, squeezing Bomi's thigh gently before standing.

"It was a pleasure to meet you Bomi," Jongin replies and it might be Bomi's nervousness but she's pretty sure she can still hear a hint of distain in his voice.

Obviously he's not going to love her straightaway.

"You too Mr Park."

"I'll be right back," Chorong tells Bomi. "Make sure yourself comfortable and help yourself to drinks if you'd like."

Bomi smiles gratefully and watches as Chorong and Jongin leave the room. Immediately she stands and starts walking slowly around the apartment.

She picks up a photograph that is obviously one of the few personal items in the vacation rental, placed there to make it cosier, and beams at the child Park Chorong grinning back at her, standing in front of a woman Bomi assumes is her mom.

"I wish you could have met her," Chorong announces quietly over her shoulder, causing Bomi to jump. "Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."

"It's fine," Bomi replies, placing the photograph back down. "You look like her."

"I like to think I look a little like both of my parents," Chorong tells her.

"Well I'm sure she would have been just as wary of me as your dad is."

"You can call him Jongin you know."

Bomi grins lightly. "I'll stick with Mr Park I think. I don't want to push anything, I mean; he doesn't really like me so I'll try to be as polite as possible."

"He does like you," Chorong tells her honestly as she leads Bomi towards the couch and sits beside her. "I mean, you're right, he is incredibly wary of you but that's only because he's protective of me. I'm his little girl. He did really like Eunji but in time, he'll love you like I do."

"I doubt that Chorong."

"I'm sure your father is going to be wary of me, every father is the same. Protective of their daughters."

"Both my parents are going to love you," Bomi replies lightly, grasping blinding for Chorong's hand and holding it. "How could they not, you're like the ideal daughter-in-law and you like playing Clue. They'll want you to be their daughter instead of me."

Chorong widens her eyes at the mention of the word daughter-in-law but neglects to say anything. "I am pretty lovable."

Bomi chuckles and cups Chorong's cheek. "Yeah, you are." Chorong feels her cheeks growing hotter. Bomi smiles for a little longer before growing serious. "Did you see Eunji before you left the wedding?"

"No, Namjoo advised me not to try and find her."

"I was thinking I might call her tomorrow," Bomi says after a few moments of silence." Try and explain to her, I mean, she might have calmed down."

Chorong sighs sadly. "I don't think she'll have calmed down Bomi, it isn't exactly something she'll get over after a night's sleep."

"I can't just leave it."

"Please don't think I'm asking you to do that. I would never dream of suggesting you leave your problems with Eunji as they are but I don't think tomorrow will be the right time. Maybe a couple of days."

"Do you think she'll forgive me?" Bomi asks quietly, almost as if she's afraid of the answer. "Answer me honestly; don't try to spare my feelings."

Chorong ducks her head before raising it again and her eyes meet Bomi's. "Honestly, no I don't."

Bomi releases a short gasp before bobbing her head. "It's what I deserve. I'm a bad person Chorong."

"A lot of people do bad things Bomi; it doesn't make them bad people." Chorong curls some of her hair behind her ear. "If you were a bad person, you wouldn't be feeling like this way. You wouldn't care about Eunji's feelings."

"Do you remember when we first met; you said we had different definitions of nice?" Bomi asks and Chorong nods her head. "I think we have different definitions of the word bad as well."


 

She exits the cab, after haphazardly throwing some money in the driver's direction, and stumbles towards the front door of her childhood home. Just as she reaches the door, one of her neighbours exits and she slips inside quickly.

Seconds after entering her house, she drops her keys on the floor and walks towards her bedroom, accidentally kicking her keys in the process. She throws herself onto her bed and turns her head to the side.

Any drunken sensation she had previously felt is washed away the minute her eyes land on the picture of her and Chorong on her bedside table.

It was taken at Chorong's dad's birthday party and they both look so happy.

She has to wonder how much of their relationship has been a lie, whether that smile on the photograph was a lie.

Eunji was definitely happy but maybe Chorong wasn't.

She just doesn't know anymore.

She had been unable to tell that Chorong had been lying to her for months so for all she knows, Chorong has been lying to her for as long as they've known each other.

Eunji picks up the photograph and fingers Chorong's face lightly. It's a bittersweet moment, knowing that this will be the last time she'll be able to touch Chorong and it's through glass.

A blockade between her and Chorong.

Just like Bomi had become during their relationship.

Before coming home, she asked the taxi driver to take her to Chorong's rental home. It was a foolish decision and she knew the minute she asked, she should have told him to ignore her but she wanted to see Chorong.

No matter what Chorong had done, Eunji still wanted to see her.

You never know when the last time you're going to see somebody is, when the last time you're going to share a kiss with somebody will be because if you did, you'd make sure it counted.

You'd make it last.

She wanted to see Chorong again because, if she was never going to talk to her or be with her in an intimate manner again, she wanted a chance to make it count.

The cab has just pulled up outside the building when she witnessed Bomi leaving her own taxi and entering Chorong's rental apartment.

Once again, Bomi managed to be there for Chorong before her.

Tears start streaming down her face as she hurls the photograph across the room, hearing it shatter as it makes contact with the wall.

It's a perfect representation of everything she had with Chorong, their relationship, their friendship and their trust; everything has been broken, quite probably beyond repair.

She sniffs heavily before reaching blindly for her phone. She scrolls down her contact list, her eyes widening every now and again in an attempt to receive a clearer look at the number. Once she reaches the intended number, she hits dial.

It only takes a few seconds before the person on the other end answers.

"Hello?"

Eunji sits up slowly. "Hey."