Chapter 17

Untouchable Face

She's always been a fan of drinking; it's been a part of her life since she went to her first high school party at 16 and tasted one of Seunghoon's cocktails. A cocktail which later became infamous as its alcoholic content surpassed that of other drinks. To this day she's not even sure what he put in it, he would never reveal the secret but it was most certainly alcoholic and achieved its objective of getting you drunk.

As she's grown up, her taste in liquor has matured somewhat from haphazardly thrown together cocktails, with the exception of the shots of tequila last night.

She squeezes her eyes shut even tighter at the memory of tequila and tries to suppress the feeling of nausea which has suddenly made an appearance.

She rubs her head before attempting to open her eyes, hoping that the sudden brightness of her bedroom won't cause them to shut automatically. As she embraces the searing headache that is overcoming her, she remembers the one thing she doesn't like about drinking.

The lowered inhibitions, the higher level of confidence, the drunken laughter and drunken are all well and good but they don't make up for the hangovers she endures the morning after a heavy night of drinking.

She's always been susceptible to them. After her first high school party and one too many of Seunghoon's cocktails, she had unpleasantly thrown up in his back yard due to the fact that the bathroom was occupied at the time. Hayoung drove the pair of them back to her house since Bomi's parents would not have taken too kindly to the drunken state their daughter was in and Bomi spent the rest of the night in her friend's bathroom, never too far from the toilet.

Whilst she has always suffered from hangovers, Hayoung seems to be immune and therefore, the tall woman revels in Bomi's suffering, taking joy in every hangover she's had. No matter how much Hayoung had to drink the night before, she can still wake up ready for anything and uses her early morning to throw an onslaught of teasing taunts in Bomi's direction.

Bomi doesn't think it's a coincidence that every time she has a hangover around Hayoung, her friend decides to cook an impromptu fry up. Somehow the smell of greasy food always ends up wafting in Bomi's direction.

At least she's not here right now; she'd be relishing in Bomi's misery.

She summons up the courage to actually leave her bed and places her feet on the cold, wooden floorboards and for a moment, she contemplates just going back to bed. Deciding against it she stands and walks towards her bedroom door which is slightly ajar. The smell of coffee wafts in her direction mixed with the smell of toast.

Hayoung couldn't possibly be here could she?

Bomi frowns at the thought before her frown deepens as she notices her dressing gown which usually hangs on the back of her door is missing. She shrugs it off and heads towards the kitchen, the smell of coffee is only solidifying the fact that she is in desperate need of a strong black coffee right now.

She squints slightly as the sunlight streams into her apartment before running her fingers through her hair.

"Good morning sunshine."

Bomi whips her head around at the voice to see Naeun resting against her kitchen counter, a slice of toast in her hand. Bomi emits a low chuckle; of course it wasn't going to be Hayoung in her apartment. Her eyes move from the piece of toast in Naeun's hand to the steaming mug of coffee next to her. "I would say make yourself at home but it appears you already have."

Naeun smirks and eats some of her toast. "I'm guessing you're not a morning person."

"I am a morning person, as long as it isn't the morning after drinking."

Naeun nods. "Are you alright? You look quite pale," she points out, and Bomi can tell that the dark-haired woman is genuinely concerned for her. "You don't need to be sick do you?"

"As long as you don't make a fry up, I'll be fine."

"Good, because I cannot cope with vomit," Naeun explains. "Besides, toast is about as far as my culinary skills stretch so I think you're safe."

As she glances at Naeun, Bomi feels a flood of envy rush through her. The dancer is wide-eyed and awake and looks as good as she did the night before, there's not one hint of a hangover. She takes a seat on one of her kitchen stools on the other side of the counter from Naeun. "Don't tell me you're one of those people."

"What people?"

"The people who never get hangovers, no matter how much they drink."

Naeun shrugs. "I guess I'm just lucky."

"I hate you," Bomi mumbles before placing her head on the kitchen counter. "Will you make me a black coffee? Please."

"No problem," Naeun tells her and obliges automatically.

"You're wearing my robe."

Naeun glances down at her attire, even though she knows she is wearing Bomi's robe. "I know. I'm sorry, do you want it?" Bomi shakes her head against the counter. "When I woke up I was freezing and I just saw this, I didn't think you'd mind."

"I don't mind," she tells her. "So you came into my room, pinched my robe and I didn't even stir. Either you have a future in cat burglary or I was dead to the world."

"Toast?" Naeun asks, placing a piece of bread into the toaster when Bomi bobs her head. "Technically, I sneaked out of your room and pinched your robe on the way. But you didn't stir once when I left bed so I think you were dead to the world. It's a shame; I think I'd make a good cat burglar."

Bomi raises her head slowly. "You were in my room?"

"Wow, is your memory a little foggy there Bomi-ah?"

"Memory impairment is just one of my many glorious hangover side effects, alongside a painful headache and nausea," Bomi tells her sarcastically. "Speaking of which, there's some advil in that drawer there," she says, pointing to one of the drawers behind her. "Will you pass me them please."

Naeun opens the drawer and pulls out the tablets, handing them to Bomi who immediately takes two and swallows them, washing them down with a sip of Naeun's coffee. "Last night, did we…did we have ?"

"Am I that unforgettable?" Naeun says holding her hand against her chest. "I'm hurt."

Bomi's eyes widen, she had not meant for that to happen between them at all. She opens to speak again but Naeun interrupts her with a burst of laughter. "I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. Although, should I be offended that the thought of us having caused you to worry that much?"

"No, not at all. I just –"

"I'm joking Bomi, relax."

Bomi smiles softly. "So we didn't have ."

Naeun shakes her head before smirking. "If we'd have , you would have remembered."

"So what exactly happened last night?"

Naeun pours Bomi's coffee into a mug. "Sugar?" She asks but Bomi simply shakes her head, eagerly accepting the offered mug. "What do you remember?"

"I remember drinking," Bomi states as she recalls the previous night and as she allow the memories to run through her mind, Chorong constantly makes an appearance. She closes her eyes as she remembers kissing Chorong.

So much for trying to move on.

Her eyes snap open as she remembers something else. "Did we play strip poker?"

Naeun chuckled. "A very poor attempt at the game yes. It took several hands for both of us to realise that neither of us knew how to play therefore the game was pointless."

"Was that all?"

The dark-haired woman bobs her head. "Pretty much. You told me to sleep in your bed rather than the spare bedroom because you were cold and needed the extra warmth."

Bomi flushes lightly. "That doesn't sound like me."

"What? You're not a softy deep down? I'm disappointed Bomi."

The toast pops up in the toaster and Naeun grimaces slightly at the fact that it's burnt but Bomi tells her not to worry, she'll still eat it. "I'm sorry; I doubt that was how you wanted the date to end."

Naeun shrugs her shoulders and places the toast on a plate before passing it to Bomi, pushing the butter closer to her if she wanted it. The blonde doesn't seem to bother about adding anything else and takes a bite of her toast. "I don't really know how you're feeling about the possibility of us right now but I don't really feel a spark with you."

"Okay."

"That being said, I really like you Bomi. I think this could be the start of a beautiful friendship," she says, and Bomi immediately recognises the Casablanca quote. "I'm pretty sure you don't feel that spark with me either because you clearly want that brunette."

"What brunette?" Bomi asks lightly, trying to contain her facial expression.

"The one who was waiting outside your apartment last night when we came back," Naeun clarifies. "Is she the person you're hung up on?"

Bomi exhales heavily, there's no point in lying to Naeun, the other woman's figured it out. "Yeah."

"Isn't she the one who interrupted our conversation at the dance recital?"

"That's her."

"She's cute."

"That's one way to describe her," Bomi replies quietly. Personally, she'd choose beautiful but cute is appropriate as well.

"Why aren't you together?"

"She has a girlfriend," Bomi explains and a feeling of relief washes over her. This is the first time she's been able to talk about Chorong since they met. She obviously can't tell Eunji and even though Namjoo and Hayoung are her friends and they'd support her, she knows they'd both be a little disappointed that Bomi is acting on her feelings. Even with her mom, she has to disguise the identity of who she's talking about.

Talking to somebody who doesn't know Eunji is like a weight has been lifted off her shoulders. There are no secrets; she can be open and honest.

"Who happens to be a friend of mine," Bomi adds and pauses to gage Naeun's reaction. The raven-haired woman doesn't even flinch.

"Love can be a sometimes."

Bomi scoffs before shaking her head slowly. "I appreciate the sentiment."

"If it's any consolation, I think she likes you too."

The blonde tilts her head, interest piqued at that comment. She's not blind, she knows that Chorong must feel something for her otherwise she wouldn't have kissed Bomi; she wouldn't have let Bomi kiss her last night, but she's interested to know what Naeun saw. "What makes you say that?"

"You mean aside from the obvious jealousy that was seeping out of her every pore at the sight of me? Seriously, she glared at me Bomi," Naeun tells her with a smirk. "At the dance recital she didn't seem fond of me either and now I know why. Honestly, I only needed to see how she looked at you to realise that she has feelings for you."

"It doesn't really matter whether she does or not, it's not going to happen," Bomi replies.

"Why do you say that?"

"Her girlfriend," Bomi starts before cutting herself off. "She's a really close friend of mine, if anything substantial were to happen between us, I'd lose our friendship. Plus, Chorong, that's her name by the way, doesn't want to hurt her girlfriend any more than I do."

"Sometimes even the best intentions pave the way to hell," Naeun states. "I understand that neither of you want to hurt anybody but honestly Bomi, why would she show up at your apartment at nearly 11 at night if she didn't want anything to do with you?"

"She wanted to talk."

"At 11 at night?"

Bomi sips her coffee. "Maybe she's a night owl."

Naeun quirks her eyebrow at the ridiculous answer Bomi has just given her. "Seriously?"

"I don't know," Bomi replies feebly. "She told me nothing else would happen but…things keep happening and I don't know what to do."

"What's your head saying?"

"To stay away."

"And your heart?"

Bomi sighs at the cliché question but finds herself answering anyway. "The complete opposite."

"If her girlfriend is really your friend, surely she'll forgive you eventually. I mean, if Chorong's in love with somebody else, then if anything you're stopping your friend from throwing herself into a relationship that is completely one-sided. Being cheated on is terrible," Naeun says. "It's a horrendous thing and I wouldn't wish it on anyone and being in a relationship when your partner wants somebody else but is staying with you, hurts even more because at the end of the day, you know you're not the person they should be with. The person they want to be with. You're second-best."

Bomi tilts her head again and observes the other woman curiously. "Are you speaking from experience?"

"Wouldn't you like to know," Naeun says lightly smiling before grasping a box of eggs in her hand. "Now, do you want me to make you my infamous hangover remedy? It's certain to do the trick."

Bomi smiles widely. "Why not."


 

She sits down on Eunji's couch and scans her friend's apartment. It's been the first time she's been in the apartment since the dinner party and even though nothing structurally has changed, everything feels different.

When Eunji first moved into this apartment, Bomi had preferred it to her own and had in turn chosen to spend a large proportion of her time at her friend's place. They'd painted Eunji's bedroom together and Bomi had given her input in the wallpaper for the living room. Before Chorong entered the picture, Eunji's apartment felt like a second home to her, maybe even more of a home than her own apartment but now, sitting in Eunji's apartment fills her with utter guilt rather than happiness.

It doesn't feel like a second home anymore.

Not only have her feelings changed but scattered around Eunji's apartment are little things that do not belong to her.

Chorong's things.

Like how her sweater, the one that she had worn when they kissed in the theatre, rests on the back of one of the dining room chairs. Or the packet of raisin cookies beside the fridge. There's also a fresh bouquet of flowers sitting proudly on the coffee table and Bomi can only imagine Chorong has bought them for her girlfriend.

The thought causes her to feel jealous and weirdly amused. She didn't have Chorong down as the type of woman to buy flowers; she seemed more like the person who received them.

She clears before taking a sip of her wine. Luckily Naeun's hangover cure, no matter how disgusting it had looked and tasted, had worked and any remnants of a hangover disappeared hours ago. Sharing a bottle of wine has always sort of been hers and Eunji's thing. They would share a bottle of wine and gossip about their respective work colleagues, telling each other details about people the other didn't know but still found to be delicious titbits.

"You've been here for half an hour and I've not even asked yet," Eunji says as she sits on her feet on the couch next to Bomi. "How did your date with Naeun go? I was actually going to pop round this morning but I didn't want to disturb the two of you."

Bomi chuckles. "If you had popped round you would have met her."

"Why does that not surprise me?" Eunji says lightly, she grew accustomed to her friend's one-night stands a long time ago.

"I'll have you know that nothing happened between us."

"Really?"

"You could try to sound a little less surprised."

"Sorry," Eunji says before speaking again. "Really?" This time, her voice doesn't contain any surprise and it causes Bomi to laugh.

"Aside from probably drinking too much, I was the perfect gentlewoman," Bomi boasts proudly.

"Are you seeing her again?"

Bomi bobs her head. "Only as friends though."

Eunji looks sad for a moment before collecting herself. "How come?"

"The date went really well, we had a great time and she can drink as well as me which I like but everything about the date felt more like friends catching up rather the start to a potential relationship. She feels the same so it's a mutual decision but I really like her, I think we're going to be quite good friends."

"She best not replace me," Eunji says seriously.

Bomi smiles sincerely at her friend. "You'll always be my best friend Eunji-ah, no matter what." She tries to convey how much she means those words because if Eunji ever finds out about her and Chorong or if she decides to follow her heart, she needs Eunji to know that in her eyes, she is still her best friend.

Even though Bomi's being a best friend to her.

"It's a shame there's no possible romance," Eunji says. "I want you to have somebody Bomi."

"I will," Bomi replies and the thought of Chorong immediately enters her mind. "One day."

Eunji beams at her friend before topping up both their wine glasses and Bomi turns her head to the front door at the sound of a key turning in the lock. The door opens slowly and Chorong walks in holding a bag of groceries in her left hand, her right hand struggling to remove the key from the lock. Bomi makes to stand to help her but Eunji beats her to it. The auburn-haired woman takes the bag of groceries from her girlfriend before giving her a light kiss as Bomi settles back onto the couch.

"Is there supposed to be a doomsday or something?" Chorong questions as she closes the door behind her, oblivious to Bomi's presence. "Everybody was going crazy in the store; people seemed to buying things in bulk."

"I have no idea," Eunji tells her before looking over at Bomi. "Bbom, do you want something to eat?"

Chorong spins around at the mention of Bomi and a soft smile fills her face at the sight of the blonde on the couch. "I'm sorry," she says, whether it's to Eunji or Bomi she's not sure. "I didn't realise you had company."

This time Bomi stands up and heads towards where Eunji and Chorong are standing. "It's okay, you're not interrupting anything."

"Good to know you enjoy my company that much," Eunji jests playfully. "Do you want something to eat though?"

"I'm okay, thanks."

Eunji nods. "Babe?"

Chorong shakes her head. "I'll let you two get back to whatever it was you were doing, I don't want to intrude."

"You're not."

Both Bomi and Eunji say it at the same time and whilst Eunji chuckles, Bomi flushes. "See babe, it's fine."

Bomi watches as Chorong swallows nervously. "I guess I don't really have a choice," Chorong says lightly. "Excuse me," she says before heading towards Eunji's bedroom.

Bomi watches her go, her eyes momentarily dropping to Chorong's before she collects herself and spins back around to look at Eunji. Eunji's eyebrow is quirked at her but the other woman quickly drops it and a smile fills her face. "You don't mind if she stays do you? I know you said she wasn't intruding but I know you wanted to catch up."

"I don't mind Meungji."

"Great."

She tugs her bottom lip between her teeth as she watches Eunji put away the groceries. "She has her own key?"

"Of course she does," Eunji tells her. "We've been together over a year now; I gave her it a couple of months ago."

"Do you have a key for her place?"

Eunji nods her head. "I'm thinking the next step will be asking her to move in with me."

Bomi stiffens at her friend's statement. "Move in with you?"

"Do you think it's too soon?" Eunji asks and Bomi can detect the hint of worry which suddenly laces her voice.

Yes, she does think it's too soon but of course she doesn't say that.

"Are you sure it's the right time?" Bomi asks. "I mean just yesterday you were worried she was cheating on you and now you're thinking about moving in with her. It's a pretty big step."

"Will you keep your voice down; she's only in the other room," Eunji admonishes her softly before opening the fridge and placing the milk inside before closing the door. "I didn't say I was going to ask her right away, I just said it was the next step."

"Well do you still think she's cheating on you?" This time Bomi whispers because she doesn't want Chorong to hear this conversation any more than Eunji does.

"Yesterday –" Eunji begins before pausing. "I guess I was having a bad day yesterday so I wasn't thinking straight. You're right, she isn't cheating on me. I was just being paranoid."

Bomi nods her head slowly and sips her wine, waiting for Eunji to say something else.

"I thought about asking Namjoo about the bracelet and whether Chorong really stayed there the night of her mother's birthday."

The thought that Eunji is close to digging into Chorong's lies causes panic to wash over Bomi. If Eunji starts digging, she's going to find out the truth. Even though Eunji has every right to be suspicious, Bomi can't have her friend finding out the truth.

"Why would you want to do that? If Chorong found out you didn't trust her –"

Eunji holds her hands up in surrender. "Whoa Bomi, I said I thought about it. I decided not to. No need to jump down my throat there."

Bomi mentally berates herself. She needs to keep a calmer persona when the topic of conversation is Chorong otherwise she might as well point a sign at herself stating she's the one Chorong's cheated with.

"How come?" She asks, this time as nonchalantly as she can manage.

"The foundation of a successful relationship is trust. If I start questioning what she tells me then when does it end? I'll end up questioning everything she says and if that happens, the relationship is over. You can't have a relationship if you don't have trust."

"So you do trust her?" Bomi asks slowly.

"Yeah I do," Eunji says. "What reason has she got to lie to me?" She asks before trailing her finger round the rim of her wine glass. "You don't know anything do you?"

"Why would I know something? I barely know Chorong."

Now that's a lie.

"I don't know, it's just –" Eunji starts before glancing in the direction of her bedroom. "Sometimes outsiders can have a better perspective on things than somebody in the relationship, you're not biased or blinded by love."

"Sorry Eunji, I don't know anything."

There's another lie.

They both turn their head at the sound of footsteps coming from Eunji's bedroom. "Did I miss anything interesting?"

"Not really," Eunji tells her before sending a smile her way.

Chorong returns the smile before fidgeting lightly on the spot. Throughout their year relationship, Eunji's apartment has always been like a second home to her, she's always felt comfortable here but now, the presence of Bomi is making her feel uncomfortable.

It makes her feel like she shouldn't be here.

Not because she's interrupting anything between Bomi and Eunji ,but because she doesn't deserve to be here with Eunji.

She doesn't deserve Eunji.


 

She scours the recipe book, flipping through the pages harshly and she wouldn't be surprised if she manages to rip one of them. Maybe the one she rips will be the recipe she makes. She needs some way of deciding what to cook.

Cooking has never been her forte, she much prefers eating to cooking.

Now looking at all these different recipes, she hasn't got a clue what to cook because she's pretty sure whatever she makes will turn out horrible.

That's what usually happens.

"You do know that I'm cooking tonight babe," Hayoung states as she drops a kiss on her fiancée's bare shoulder. "Not that I don't enjoy your cooking," she adds as an after-thought. "But since it's my parents coming to visit, I feel like I should be the one who cooks."

Namjoo whirls around so she's facing Hayoung. "I thought it might be a nice surprise if I cooked, that way you're not doing as much."

Hayoung's heart warms at the declaration and she kisses the redhead briefly. "I love you."

"I love you too."

"It's a really sweet idea but I've already bought all the ingredients," Hayoung tells her. "We can cook it together if you want?"

Namjoo beams. "We haven't cooked together since we made those cookies for the kids in my dance school."

Hayoung's eyes glaze over with lust as she remembers the time Namjoo is talking about. They had to make a second batch of cookies as the first batch somehow burnt to a crisp, nearly setting their kitchen on fire in the process. In Hayoung's defence, Namjoo had wanted to bake wearing nothing but an apron, Hayoung's attention was always going to be on something else rather than the cookies.

"We haven't got time for that," Namjoo scolds gently. "Your parents are coming in a couple of hours."

"Time for what?" Hayoung asks innocently. "I never said anything."

Namjoo tilts her head to the side. "You didn't have to, I can read you babe. You started staring at me like you always do when you want something more and as much as I want too, we need to cook."

Hayoung chuckles and steals one last kiss before grabbing the chicken from the fridge. "Will you dice some mushrooms for me please babe?"

Namjoo nods and gives the mushrooms a rinse before starting to chop them. "Naeun called me earlier."

"How did her date with Bomi go?"

"They didn't have ."

"Bomi actually managed to restrain herself," Hayoung says, her voice laced with surprise and pride.

"She said they weren't going to have another date but they were going to be friends," Namjoo tells her fiancée. "I don't think Bomi's going to be a sad panda for much longer either."

Hayoung pauses from cutting up the chicken s. "What makes you say that?"

"If Bomi doesn't want to be with Naeun, it has to be because she likes somebody else. Naeun's amazing and beautiful; I don't understand how anybody wouldn't want to be with her."

Even though they're talking about Bomi, Hayoung stiffens. "You've not been with her have you?"

Namjoo laughs and shakes her head. "Of course not, she's amazing and everything but I have you. I don't need anybody else."

"I meant before we met." She receives another shake of the head and her body relaxes. "Who does Bomi like?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

Hayoung sighs because it was obvious. She had noticed the longing looks Bomi had sent in Chorong's direction when she thought nobody was looking and how flustered Bomi became when Hayoung had accused her of having feelings for the brunette.

"Chorong."

Namjoo nods her head. "I think Chorong likes Bomi too."

Hayoung tilts her head to the side. "I didn't know Chorong felt the same."

When she thought that all Bomi had was a crush, it was simple and something she could friend for but to know that there are feelings involved makes everything more complicated.

"What about Eunji?"

Namjoo shrugs her shoulders. "I don't think they'd do anything whilst Chorong was dating Eunji would they?" Namjoo asks lightly. "That wouldn't be fair and Chorong isn't like that. Or you think they would?"

Hayoung tugs her bottom lip between her teeth. The chicken and mushrooms remain forgotten on their respective chopping boards as the couple stand in silence.

"Babe?"

Hayoung turns to face her fiancée and sends her a comforting smile. "I honestly don't know."

But she does know.