Chapter 31

Untouchable Face

There was a girl in her high school who had a scar above her right eyebrow. It wasn't incredibly noticeable so Eunji never paid any attention to it. She didn't even see it. One day Jeonyul explained she obtained the scar from falling off a wall when she was younger, thus drawing Eunji's attention to it. After that, her eyes always seemed to land on her scar whenever they talked.

Somehow, it became the only thing she could see.

That instant is remarkably similar to how she feels right now.

She hadn't noticed a relationship forming between Bomi and Chorong, she hadn't realised how close they had become, and she never thought they would have slept together twice.

Yet now she knows, everything has become amazingly clear and she is incapable of seeing anything but the two of them together.

The faceless stranger she wondered about earlier now has a face and all those questions she had pondered are now phrased differently.

Did Bomi know about Chorong's weak spot?

Did Chorong feel y and confident around Bomi?

Her heart constricts suddenly at the thought of Bomi touching Chorong. She thought it hurt knowing Chorong had cheated on her but now, knowing it was Bomi, well that hurts more than she could ever have imagined.

She allows herself to play the last few months over in her head, silently connecting the dots. Now she knows, everything is starting to make sense.

Bomi organised an audition for Chorong, not out of the goodness of her heart as she said, but because she did have an ulterior motive. Even if she didn't truly realise or understand it, her intent was not completely pure.

Eunji had watched Jinsol grow up and the young girl always seemed somewhat wary with strangers. She has always been shy around people and it takes a while for her to become friendly with them. Yet at Jinsol's birthday party, Jinsol hugged Chorong immediately which leads Eunji to believe they can't have just met once, they must have met a couple of times.

If that's the case, then Chorong has been secretly meeting Bomi for God knows how long.

She wonders how many sordid meetings the two have had and what exactly happened between them? Did they have dates? Did they talk about her?

Every smile she's seen pass between the two of them, she wants to know whether they were simply platonic or something deeper.

Everything has been right underneath her nose for months but she's failed to see it.

Maybe because she didn't want to see it.

Maybe because she didn't want to think Bomi could be that person.

Maybe because she didn't think Chorong was capable of cheating on her.

After Chorong unwittingly told Eunji the other woman was Bomi, Eunji had moved closer to the window, creating even more space between the two of them and turned her back to Chorong. Since Eunji doesn't want to talk or look at her girlfriend, all Chorong can do is listen as the woman cries, her shoulders shaking every now and again.

She just wants to give Eunji a hug or squeeze her hand and tell her how sorry she is.

Eunji hasn't said a word for about ten minutes now, she's just cried.

When Chorong was little, she used to play the 'would you rather' game with her parents. Her parents offered her hypothetical situations and she would choose the option she found the most exciting. Of course, most situations were things which wouldn't happen in real life, for example, 'would you rather travel forward or backwards in time?' She never needed to worry about what she would actually do in such a predicament.

Now Chorong is playing a game of 'would you rather' in her mind. She's questioning whether she'd prefer Eunji to scream at her, to actually show some form of emotion or for her to remain silent.

If she's being completely honest, she doesn't want either option to occur.

She wishes they never had to be in this predicament.

Not that she can blame anybody but herself.

"Please talk to me Eunji."

Eunji wipes her eyes furiously, ridding them of tears. Chorong releases a sharp sigh as she hears Eunji sniff before trying to catch her breath. It absolutely kills Chorong to hear Eunji cry and it kills her even more to know she's the cause of those fragile tears.

She keeps her back to Chorong when she speaks. "What exactly do you want me to say?"

"Anything," Chorong breathes out. "Shout at me, hit me, tell me you hate me just please, don't stay silent."

"I don't hate you," Eunji reassures quickly. "And I would never hit you."

"I deserve it."

"I'm not going to disagree with you."

"Do you –"

"I'm trying to process this," Eunji interrupts. "It's not every day I find out my girlfriend has been sleeping with my best friend so excuse me but I need time to deal with everything."

"Can you at least turn around so I'm not talking to your back?"

Eunji holds her hand up. "I can't really look at you right now Chorong."

Chorong bobs her head in understanding even though Eunji can't see her.

"If I look at you, I see Bomi."

The name sticks in and she feels nausea surfacing at the thought of the two women together.

"If I look at you, I don't see the person I fell in love with," Eunji continues. "You know, I think I fell for you the moment I saw you. As soon as I looked into your eyes, as cliché as it sounds, I think it was love at first sight. You can fall in love in a second but you can also fall out of love in a second."

"Eunji –"

"You slept with Bomi."

It's not a question; it's a statement so Chorong chooses not to answer. Eunji doesn't need to hear a 'yes' right now, she just needs to think thing through.

"You slept with Bomi knowing full well she was my best friend. I really didn't think you were the type of person who would do something so unbelievably cruel."

"No." Chorong is quick to interject. "I didn't know who she was when we met."

"Right, because Bomi is such a popular name."

"Well, it's not exactly the rarest of names either," Chorong replies. "Obviously there will be some people who have it as their name. It's actually quite an easy name for a nickname. The likelihood of the Bomi I met in the bar being the same Bomi as your best friend was rather slim and –"

Eunji spins around to face the other woman. "God Chorong, can you just answer a question with a simple ing answer for once!"

Chorong's eyes widen ever so slightly before she ducks her head. "I'm sorry."

She sighs heavily once Chorong ducks her head and guilt surges through her. She's the one who has been cheated on yet she's feeling guilty for shouting at Chorong. "I told you about Bomi." This time when she speaks, her voice is gentle.

"Actually in our conversations you normally referred to your best friend as Bbom," Chorong tells her, wondering whether she should continue to speak or if a longer answer will only annoy Eunji. When Eunji tilts her head a little, Chorong continues. "I'm sure you called her Bomi a few times when we first met but like I said, I had no idea the Bomi I met was your Bomi."

Eunji scoffs. "She's not my Bomi."

There it is, the first sign her friendship with Bomi is over while Bomi remains completely unaware of what is happening.

"If you didn't know who she was when you first met, when did you realise?"

"Hayoung and Namjoo's Halloween party."

Eunji rubs her eyes harshly, preventing more tears from appearing. "The party I convinced you to go to. If I had never suggested that –"

"We still would have met eventually," Chorong tells her. "She's your best friend; we were always going to meet. The only thing which was questionable was when we were going to meet."

"She's not my best friend."

"Eunji, don't you think you're being slightly too hasty in making that decision."

"Hasty?" Eunji spits, taking a step closer to Chorong. "She slept with you, Chorong; I don't think I'm being hasty in the slightest."

"It wasn't just her choice," Chorong argues. "You're acting as if she controlled the entire situation. She didn't force me to do anything. Every decision we made was a mutual one."

"I trusted Bomi. I told her things about us," Eunji explains slowly. "I talked about you to her all the time since we started to date. I told her how beautiful you were and all your little quirks which made you endearing to me. I confided in her about us and our relationship. When I started having worries about us, she was the first person I turned to. I told her I thought there might be somebody else and she said you would never cheat on me. I believe her exact words were 'she's devoted to you.' She knew she was the reason our relationship was deteriorating. She must have loved having me confide in her when she knew the reason all along. I bet you both did, did you have a good laugh at me? Stupid, naive Eunji!"

"Don't be ridiculous," Chorong tells her harshly. "She didn't enjoy a single minute of what happened. Neither of us did."

Eunji raises her right eyebrow. "I find that hard to believe." Eunji curls some hair behind her ear. "The whole time you two were enjoying your little affair."

"No," Chorong replies firmly. "It wasn't like that, I told you Eunji, we didn't have an affair."

"But you had already slept with her at that point."

"Yes, I had already slept with her."

"How many times have you been with her?"

"I told you, twice."

"No, I'm not talking about ," Eunji clarifies, sniffing lightly. "I mean, you must have been meeting up in secret while we were dating. How many times has that happened? How many times have you kissed her?"

"Eunji, knowing the specific details isn't going to make this any easier for you, if anything, it will make it more difficult to deal with."

Eunji closes the space between the two of them and dabs Chorong in the chest with her finger. "Don't you dare tell me what is better for me! I want to know."

Chorong flinches at the venom in her girlfriend's voice or perhaps it would be better to call her an ex-girlfriend, a friend or something else entirely. She's not sure what to call her anymore.

"We've kissed a couple of times," Chorong confesses. "I can't remember how many times."

"Let me get this straight," Eunji says, her voice calmer than earlier. "You slept with her in October, met her again at the Halloween party where you figured out who she was." Chorong nods along as Eunji places their movements, their moments together, on a timeline. "We had the dinner party where she told me you seemed lovely; I guess we both know why she said that. We saw her at Christmas -" Eunji trails off before widening her eyes. "Is that why you wanted to go watch It's a Wonderful Life?" She questions. "You wanted to see Bomi."

"Yes."

Eunji remains silent for several seconds before clearing . "You're the reason she flew to Cheongju for New Year's Eve as well."

"Yes."

"She organised an audition for you," Eunji continues, returning to her timeline of events. "I started talking to her about my doubts and worries and then you both went to Gwangju. Have I missed anything out?"

Only the times she and Bomi have had too much to drink and turned up at the other person's apartment and the stolen kisses they have shared.

"No."

"Is she the reason you started to flinch every time I touched you?"

"I didn't flinch," Chorong defends. "I quickly realised my feelings for Bomi surpassed a friendship. I really liked her and things just didn't feel right between you and I anymore. I didn't want to lead you on by being intimate with you."

"Lead me on?" Eunji repeats. "You were dating me and all the while falling in love with my best friend. By keeping that a secret, you were leading me on. For the past few months I've thought we had a future but clearly we didn't and you knew that. Chorong, you may as well have slept with me because you have been leading me on for months anyway."

"I didn't know what was going to happen," she replies honestly. "I thought there might be a chance for us."

"Liar."

"I'm not lying."

"If you thought there was a chance for us, you would have worked harder in this relationship. You pulled away Chorong. I tried, I was willing to fight for you but you, you were ready to give up. You didn't want us to work."

"That's not true."

"Why didn't you just break up with me?" Eunji asks, her voice breaking as she speaks. "After you slept with her the first time, why didn't you just tell me? Why keep it a secret for months?"

"I didn't want to hurt or lose you Eunji."

"And you thought lying to me for months was going to ensure that didn't happen?"

"In hindsight, I know I should have dealt with everything better. I've never been in this situation before."

"That's the understatement of the century right there Chorong." Eunji fiddles with her fingers nervously. "You know the irony of what you've just said, the whole I didn't want to hurt you thing, you've hurt me more now than you would have if you'd just been honest from the start."

"I know and I deeply regret that."

Eunji pinches the bridge of her nose as a fresh wave of tears well up in her eyes. She takes a seat on the bed and buries her head in her hands. "What did I do Chorong?" The words are mumbled against her hands but Chorong manages to make them out.

"What do you mean?"

"What did I do wrong?" Eunji clarifies, raising her head. "I must have done something to push you away."

Chorong's breath catches as she witnesses how heartbroken Eunji looks, with her bloodshot eyes and flushed cheeks.

"You didn't do anything wrong," Chorong confirms, hoping to quash Eunji's doubts. "I met Bomi completely by accident and things soon spiralled out of control. Feelings appeared even though neither of us expected them to and eventually, they began to grow. It wasn't anything to do with what you had or hadn't done."

"Something must have been wrong in our relationship though."

"No, Eunji I told you –"

"If we were completely okay, you wouldn't have disappeared to drown your sorrows in some bar. I know we argued but you should have come back to me on the anniversary of your mom's death. Do you know how worried I was about you? When you stormed out, I had no idea where you were going. I kept ringing you and if you really cared, you would have answered. You would have come back, even if you were drunk, you should have come back."

"I know."

"When I have a bad day, do you know what I think about?" Chorong shakes her head. "I think about coming home to you and having a conversation about nothing, eating junk food while you scold me for being unhealthy. No matter what is wrong, you always manage to make things better and that's why I think about coming to you when I'm upset. Clearly you don't share that sentiment. "

"I went to the bar because I wanted to see if Namjoo was right when she said alcohol makes things better," Chorong says, repeating what she had told Eunji a couple of months earlier when Eunji had asked. "I never lied to you about that. The truth is, when I left your apartment, the bar was the first thing which came to mind."

"I think that speaks volumes Chorong."

"The next morning, I wished I'd gone back to yours or gone home but you can't change your past Eunji. I couldn't change what had happened, no matter how much I wanted to."

Chorong sits beside Eunji on the bed, waiting for the order to move away from her but Eunji remains silent.

"I understand why you were tempted to cheat. I mean, everybody faces temptation. I faced it the other week but I didn't act on it because of you. You wouldn't have acted on it unless you wanted to, so clearly; you don't care about me as much as I care about you."

"Please don't put how much I care about you on some sort of scale. It doesn't work like that."

"Let's be honest though, I have always cared more about you than you have for me."

"No, I'm not going to play this game with you Eunji."

Eunji shifts suddenly and nuzzles her nose against the crook of Chorong's neck. Chorong inhales sharply at the action but doesn't move. "Do you love me?" Eunji places a light kiss on Chorong's pulse point.

"Yes."

Eunji pulls back slightly before kissing Chorong. Chorong can feel Eunji's desperation but she can't do this.

She places her hands on the other woman's chest and pushes her away softly. "I'm just not in love with you anymore, Eunji."

Those nine words bring an end to what would have become an incredibly bittersweet moment.

"I'm sorry."

Eunji sniffs once more. "Were you ever in love with me?"

"Of course I was. Don't ever doubt that."

"Don't ever doubt that?" Eunji questions. "I've just found out our entire relationship has pretty much been an entire lie and you're asking me not to doubt whether you loved me? I think I have every right to do that. I mean...just how long have you been lying to me Chorong?"

"Too long."

"Do you want to know what bothers me the most about all of this?" She speaks again before Chorong can offer an answer. "I get it."

"Get what?"

"I know why you wanted to be with Bomi. She's gorgeous and she always knows exactly what to say, plus, she's an amazing flirt. I'm not surprised you slept with her, she can charm anybody into bed." Chorong swallows, feeling slightly annoyed by that comment because she isn't anybody, at least, she doesn't think she is yet she allows Eunji to speak. "When we were 15, I started looking at her in a slightly different way. She'd blossomed from this nerdy, chubby girl to a stunning teenager who people desperately wanted to know. I'm not going to lie, I thought she was hot."

"You did?"

"I've always been envious of Bomi," Eunji admits. "She's always had it all. She can click her fingers and have anybody she wants whereas I spend time trying to make things work with somebody I love only to watch it crumble around me." The auburn-haired woman clears and wipes her eyes. "Let me tell you something though, you are not the first person Bomi has swept off their feet and you certainly won't be the last."

"I don't think you can lump me together with everybody else Bomi has been with. I'm not like them and she's not the same with me. Do you really think I would have fallen for her if she treated me like a one-night stand? If she didn't feel the same way about me?"

"How do you know she's not the same with you?" Eunji asks.

"I know her a lot better than you think."

Eunji's voice breaks once more as she speaks. "Evidently."

"I didn't mean it like that. My relationship with Bomi isn't the same. She's told me about her past."

"Are you sure about that?" Eunji questions lightly. "One thing I can safely guarantee about Bomi is that she loves the chase. That's where the thrill is, not in the capture."

"Stop it."

"Why? Are you worried you were just a game to her?"

"I was – I'm not a game to her."

"Are you sure about that?" Her eyes glance at the bracelet Chorong's wearing on her right wrist, her original charm bracelet. The one Eunji bought her has disappeared.

"You never left that at Namjoo's did you? I mean, if you never stayed there, you can't have."

"No."

"Did you leave it at Bomi's?"

"Yes."

Eunji laughs dryly. "So she had it fixed for you, how very thoughtful. Did you buy the charm?"

"No, she did."

"Of course she did. Everything has been so obvious, neither of you have been subtle about this little secret yet I haven't figured it out. I feel like such an idiot, how could I have been so blind?"

"You're not an idiot."

"You and I both know that's a lie."

"I really am sorry Eunji; I wish this had never happened."

"Was it worth it?" Eunji asks incredibly quiet, almost as if she's afraid of hearing the answer. "Everything you and her have done, was it worth it?"

"I wish things had been different and you never had to be hurt in the process."

"That's not an answer Chorong," she says quietly. "If you had the choice to do it all again, would you?"

A knock at the door interrupts the pair of them and Chorong's answer remains on the tip of her tongue.

"There you two are," Namjoo enters the room with a wide smile on her face. "We're about to do some of the photographs and we kind of need our bridesmaids."

"We're coming," Eunji announces, standing up quickly.

"Is everything okay?"

Eunji nods fervently. "Perfect, don't worry."

Namjoo hovers for a second, sensing Eunji is lying to her but she doesn't press the matter anymore. Their business is their business. "See you down there." She sends a fleeting look in Chorong's direction but Chorong's gaze hasn't wavered once from Eunji.

"What are you going to do?"

"I'm going downstairs for the photos," she replies with an impressively stoic expression. She checks her reflection in a mirror and prays her eyes aren't a giveaway she's been crying. "You did just hear Namjoo right? We're needed downstairs."

"That's not what I meant and you know that."

"What exactly did you mean?"

Eunji's calmness is ridiculously unnerving, not because Chorong wants Eunji to lose her temper but because she knows that at any moment, something is going to trigger her reaction and she's basically going to detonate.

It's the waiting which is unbearable.

"I know you're really angry with me and Bomi right now and you're upset but please, don't do anything rash."

"You lost the right to tell me what to do the minute you slept with Bomi."

"Eunji, what are you going to do?"

Eunji looks over her shoulder. "Like I said Chorong, we're needed for the photos."


 

Bomi finishes her glass of champagne, her gaze darting every couple of seconds towards the house. Ever since she watched Eunji and Chorong walk inside, she's been curious as to what they're talking about. What is so important they had to leave the wedding and be alone?

Her stomach flips with nerves at the sheer curiosity. Chorong had agreed to wait another day before they told Eunji about what had happened between the two of them but they've been away from the wedding for too long for it to be a normal conversation.

Even though she's only been gone for about half an hour, Bomi has missed her.

For somebody who hasn't allowed anybody to get close to her in years, being this dependent on somebody is rather scary.

Yet at the same time exciting.

"Are you alright?"

Bomi looks up as Naeun sits beside her. Her head tilted to the side with a worried expression on her face.

"Do you ever have that feeling something bad is going to happen?"

"What do you think is going to happen?"

"I don't know." Bomi scratches a non-existent itch above her eyebrow. "Nothing good."

"Have another glass of champagne and come dance with me," Naeun suggests, handing over her own champagne to her friend. "I'm tired of dancing alone."

Bomi chuckles. "Nobody taking your fancy at this wedding?"

Naeun smiles. "Right now, you're looking pretty good as a dance partner."

Bomi beams at the other woman. "Fine," she agrees, standing and heading towards the dance floor with Naeun. "I know weddings can bring out the romantic in people but hands above the waist Naeun, I don't want any funny business."

Naeun laughs loudly before pouting playfully. "You're no fun."

"We need you two," Hayoung says as she brushes past the pair of them. "Photographs."

"I guess you're going to have to owe me a dance sunshine," Naeun comments as they both follow Hayoung.

"Where are Chorong and Eunji?" Bomi questions.

Hayoung shrugs before she throws the words over her shoulder. "I don't know. Namjoo has gone looking for them," she explains quickly before gesturing her head towards the house. "Speak of the devil."

Chorong follows slowly behind Eunji. Only a short while ago, they walked into the house hand in hand and now they're walking as far away from each other as possible while Eunji tries to control her tears. As soon as they walk into the backyard, it's as if nothing has happened. Everybody is still dancing, cheering, laughing and drinking, enjoying Namjoo and Hayoung's special, unaware of what is happening with her and Eunji.

Somehow Chorong doesn't think that unawareness is going to last very long.

She watches as Eunji brushes past Naeun and heads towards the photographer, her hands fidgeting at her sides.

"Where have you been?"

Chorong brings her gaze away from Eunji at the husky voice and can't help but smile when she sees Bomi. Bomi has her head tilted to the side, sending a lop-sided smile in Chorong's direction.

"You were starting to worry me."

"We need to talk Bomi. It's important."

Her smile disappears and she straightens up, frowning as she takes in Chorong's flushed expression. Perhaps her nerves were justified. "Are you okay?"

"Bomi, I –"

"Right can I have the bridesmaids all together please?" The photographer shouts so he can be heard over everybody's conversations.

Bomi makes no sign of movement but Chorong stops her just in case. "This can't wait," Chorong starts and Bomi bobs her head, silently waiting for the other woman to explain. "I've just –"

"Did you not hear him?" Hayoung barks as she passes them, pushing them both in the direction of the other bridesmaids. "He's getting antsy and the sooner these photos are taken, the sooner we can go back to enjoying the party."

Chorong sighs heavily as Hayoung guides her to her position between Naeun and Yookyung, watching as Bomi is guided to her designated space beside Eunji. Her stomach flips with worry at the mere sight of the two of them side by side, Bomi blissfully unaware that Eunji knows everything now.

She tries to step forward when she sees Eunji move closer to Bomi but a glare from Hayoung forces her to stay still.

"Are you going to try and catch the bouquet?"

Bomi scoffs lightly at Eunji's question. "Why would I try to catch the bouquet? I'm in no rush to be married."

"Do you mean you don't like the look of anybody at the wedding?"

She has to stop herself from turning to look at Chorong. "No, not really."

"Nobody?" Eunji repeats.

Bomi frowns. "What's with all the questions?"

"I just find it difficult to believe that the woman who sleeps with anything with a pulse isn't interested in anybody at this wedding."

"What's –"

"Smile ladies," the photographer asks and all six bridesmaids smile dutifully as he takes one photo.

"Take a look around, there are plenty of single women here," Eunji announces before smiling as another photo is taken. "Then again, you prefer attached women don't you?"

Bomi's stomach jumps with nerves and she feels terror wash over her. "Eunji."

"And another smile please."

Bomi plasters an unbelievable fake smile on her face as she feels Eunji move closer.

"Do you draw the line at married women?" Eunji questions. "I mean are Hayoung and Namjoo safe from you now they've got a ring on their finger?"

"What the hell is your problem Eunji?" She says through gritted teeth. She doesn't exactly want everybody to know what's happening between the two of them.

"Can you give me one final smile please ladies."

She feels Eunji's breath on her ear as a hand wraps around her waist. "I know about you and Chorong."

The colour drains from her face at the admission and she turns her head to look at her friend's face. "I –"

"Smile Bomi," Eunji orders sternly. "Apparently you're amazing at putting on appearances for everybody else's benefit."