The box

A love through time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The box
Chapter 2

Moonbyul's POV

Call me obsessed if you wish, I will wear the label if you choose to hang it on me. But I can't stop thinking about her. Like a ghost, she constantly haunts my thoughts. That mysterious women from 1896. A young beautiful thing that makes my damaged heart move every time I see her. Today as I leave my flat and head to school on a rather foggy morning, I think about her. From the old church that's across the street from my flat, to the point I sit down in class I still think about her. 

I want to know her more. Half way through my costume design class it hits me. The old guy at the antique store said there was more stuff from the Nam estate. Perhaps there was something more that belonged to this Yongsun. As soon as classes were done for the day I headed straight to the antique store. 

Entering the store. I found the older gentleman waiting behind the counter with a friendly smile. 

"Hello may I help you?" 

"Ah... yes. I was here more than a week ago. I bought a old picture from the Nam estate. You said that it had some stuff that had been forgotten in basement." I asked letting some of my eagerness show. 

He thought for a moment and then seemed to remember. "Oh yes. That picture of the pretty young woman. I remember now. You don't want to return do you? All sales are final I'm afraid."

I shook my head, "No... actually, I'm interested in what else you may have."

The man tapped his fingers on the counter for a moment as he appeared to think. "Hmm... let me see. I sold most of that stuff the other day to some collector. Some old candlesticks and an end table... Oh--! I do have something left. Follow me."

As followed the man I asked, "What do you know about the estate itself?" 

"The Nam family was once quite prosperous. One of them was even part of the parliament for a time, ages ago. But over the last century or so, their fortunes declined. Some scandal there was, some time back. Uhm... one of the main heirs, a rather promising young fellow I heard, was killed at the battle of Somme in 1916. The family died off and the last of them passed away in the 1980's. The estate was completely bankrupt by then. The old house, sat unoccupied for years as it wound trough the courts. The land was sold off  to pay off the depths to some developer who as I said, knocked it down and is currently putting a supermarket in it's place." He recalled as he rummaged around in a dark corner. 

"Ahh... here it is." he said as he pulled out a small wooden chest. 

It was plain, it appeared to be made of maple and seemed about 2 feet by 2 feet and about a foot high. "This is the last piece. A small wooden chest."

"What is in it?" 

He shrugged, "haven't the foggiest idea. It's locked and no key was found."

I had no idea what was in it, but I had know if there was something of Yongsun was in there. "How much?" 

He put a hand on his chin "40 pounds. " 

I cursed silently as I had only 31. "I have 31, how about that?" I said as I put my hand on his shoulder. Just a casual touch brings wonders sometimes. 

It must have worked as he nodded "31 pounds it is." 

I reached over and picked up the chest. It had something inside as it had some weight. But I was able to carry it. After paying  the man I happily heaved my bounty home. I could only thank my lucky strars that he accepted my offer. I half expected to have to leave and scrape together some more money. 

Speaking of money, I need to find a job. At least a part time one. I made a mental note to start looking the next day. The chest itself started to grow heavier the longer I carried it. But I finally managed to drag it home and put it on my kitchen table.

But now I had another problem. It was  locked and I had no key. I could use my scissors and spend hours trying to jimmy the thing Open. But instead I took a hammer and the front of it. No point in wasting time.

Having destroyed an antique chest to get at it's contents-- like the violent Korean-American I don't deny being, I opened up the lid. On the top was the faded remains of a ones white silken dress. It practically fell apart in my hands, but I could tell it was once beautiful. I felt a stab of sorrow seeing the once beautiful dress, crumble in my hands.

I tried to imagine Solar (yeah I'm gonna call her that assuming it was her nickname, ) wearing this on some fancy occasion. I could feel my heart flutter as I held the remains of once elegant dress in my hands. I think, it was just knowing that she, Solar, once wore this

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter