Stranger in a strange land

A love through time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Stranger in a strange land 
Chapter 29

No one's POV

Moonbyul stayed in the shower a lot longer than she needed. 

It was more than just the wonderful feeling of the warm water as she felt like she was washing away her 1869 life and persona. 

Stepping out of the shower, steam rising from her body and she felt like herself again. 

Wanting to be back to her old self, she put in a streak of orange in her hair and got dressed. 

Back in her place, she realized she had many things to do. First of which was call her mother and tell her she was home. Typically her mother would not answer the phone and Moonbyul had to deal with the rather modern annoyance of leaving a voicemail message. 

Next, she opened up the windows and aired out her apartment. After that she had to run some errands, first of which was going to the post office and picking up her mail. 

Walking to the post office, she wondered if there were any major changes to the timeline at all. The town looked as it had before. 

A minute later, she turned a corner and stopped dead in her tracks. 

The Korean rebel stood there and with much disbelieve found herself staring at the still standing '3 bells inn.' The inn that Solar's father owned, the same one she had her pinched so many times when she worked there. 

"What the?" 

Thinking back, Moonbyul remembered that the inn in the original timeline had been torn down in 1917 and their house which was behind it was torn down in the 1950's. 

Forgetting the post office, she walked towards the inn. It was painted red and looked like it had been expanded at least one or two times, but none the less it was still standing. As she approached, a happy looking couple came out.

"Hey," Moonbyul called. "How long has this place been here?" 

The man who heard her turned, "Since the 1860's or something. Best fish and chips in town, always has been."

"Thanks."

Moonbyul then realized that she had changed something that kept the inn open. It was a much welcome sight and better looking than the drab looking houses that were there in the other timeline.

Curious, she stepped inside. It looked much like it had in some aspects. The old bar was still to her right, but now extended further as the back seemed to have been expanded. The little dining room was gone and replaced by a few more tables and some electronic dart boards. The stairs up to the upper level were still there, but instead of rooms were more tables for patrons.

Of course a major difference was a sound system as Moonbyul could hear 'Train in vain' by the Clash spilling out from some speakers around the room. It was late afternoon and a few patrons were drinking and talking, much like they had some 149 years ago.

The Korean-American was tempted to stay, but had things to do. So she turned around and left, making a mental note to find out who currently owned it.

Exiting the inn, Moonbyul did note sadly that though the inn was still standing, Solar's old house was not. In its place was a parking lot.

After stopping at the post office, she went to the small grocery store and grabbed some food as she had none in her kitchen.

After running her errands she almost felt like a normal person again, almost. The memories and guilt stemming from her experience in 1869 remained fresh in her mind and she knew that they weren't likely to go away anytime soon.

Worn out after her ordeal, she watched some TV with a bowl of soup and went to bed. As much as she thought she might, she didn't sleep well. She kept dreaming about the ever expanding circle of red on the front of the Victorian patient's dress, when Solar got shot.

In her dream, the circle keeps getting bigger until it covers everything in sight. All the while, Solar keeps saying;

"It's your fault..."

Visiting hours at the hospital began promptly at 8 AM, so Moonbyul got up early, got dressed and headed out. For her, it felt good to be out of a dress. Today she wore boots, black shorts and a black top with black lace sleeves. 

The previous day, she was wearing simple blue jeans and a somewhat baggy shirt, which got a strange look from the Victorian patient. This outfit will sure get a bit more of a reaction from Solar. 

"Morning," Moonbyul greeted as she casually walked into Solar's room, just a minute after 8.

Solar then took one look at her outfit and nearly went into shock, "Oh my— you're a e?!"

The Korean rebel, somewhat offended looked at her own outfit then growled at her. "NO, I'M NOT!" 

Solar next pointed to her outfit, still looking very shocked. "Then explain those clothes, only a woman of the night would dress so provocatively. You're showing your legs, no decent woman would do such a thing. I had no idea."

Moonbyul quickly fumed and walked up to the Korean-Latina, "I am not nor have I ever been a e. Styles of clothes have changed in the last 149 years. I like dressing this way." She then smirked and poked Solar in the chest, but still very careful to avoid her wound. "They can look all they like, but only you can touch."

Solar's mouth closed to a thin line, while her eyes indicated that she was trying to process what she had seen and heard.

While the latter then playfully slapped Solar on the leg, "While you're thinking that over, the nurse told

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter