One day down

A love through time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One day down
Chapter 14

Moonbyul's POV

Fortunately I had gotten away with my little transgressions.

I just need to remember that servants need to serve and not be jealous smart asses. 

After lunch was finished. Solar, Eric and her father retired to the parlor to talk. I and the other kitchen staff, cleaned up and ate our lunch, which consisted of beef sandwiches. 

After lunch, I was allowed to go to the dry goods store that Mr. Ferrer operated. It was down the street a small way from the inn. I had told Mrs. Bailey that since I was new in town I needed to get some things such as some candles, coffee, soap, etcetera. 

I found the store and purchased some items I thought I would need. Some basic food for the few days I'll have off. Normally I eat with the staff, on days off I am on my own for food. I bought some candles, some oil for one of the lamps, coffee beans, some canned food, rice, beans and some other things. 

I found a blank journal similar to the one that Solar writes in. So I purchased that, along with some ink and a pen. I found myself wanting to document my time here and keep my thoughts straight. Also as I already had an idea for a horror story that I want to get on paper. 

After dropping those items off at my home, I returned to the Ferrer home and arrived back by 2:00. By this time, Eric had left and Solar had gone to pay a social call on some neighbors. Mrs. Bailey told me that I would be spending the rest of the afternoon at the inn/tavern and would work there until supper. 

Arriving at the Inn, I reported. myself to Mr. Ferrer who was in his office. He would spend most afternoons in his office going over his accounts and other businesses. 

Though he made no mention of the incident at lunch, he looked mildly annoyed. He told me to clean the 2 vacant rooms and then report back to Colin, who runs the place day to day. 

I found the cleaning materials and cleaned the rooms as instructed. For the next couple of hours I got to play waitress as a number of people had come in to have a good time. There are some army barracks a little way out of town and usually there are a few soldiers lingering about at any given time. 

I quickly found out that the men of this period are quite bold, as my was pinched more than once. Many of them were also very fascinated by the pretty, raven haired Korean-American who was the new barmaid. But much to my credit, I stayed in character and laughed it off each time. A few of the men and other towns people were nice. 

Colin, the man who ran the inn from day to day, was a friendly but rather simple guy. I learned from him, that Solar came in several days a week, to act as sort of a hostess. Her mother did that when they first opened the inn. She would chat with people and made them feel welcome. After a while, Solar would do it along with her mother when she was a little girl. 

When her mother died, Solar kept up the tradition. While it may seem like something unworthy of a person from the upper class, I learned that Solar's mother was considered very beautiful, charming and was very well liked by everyone she met. 

So out of respect for her mother, no one ever dared to say a word about Solar essentially working in a bar. The most she ever does is bring a glass of beer to someone on occasion, or anyway. Colin told me that Suzy didn't like work of any kind and hated the tavern/inn as she thought it was beneath her. 

Around 4:00 o'clock in the afternoon, I felt my spirits lift as I could hear Solar coming in from the back. 

"Hello Colin, How are you today?" She asked in a cheerful tone. 

"I'm fine Miss Solar, Thank you. How are you on this fine day?" I could hear Colin reply as I returned to the bar with some empty glasses. 

"I'm good, thank you." 

Solar then looked at me with a smile, that warmed my heart. "And how are you doing so far?" 

"I'm doing fine, thank you Miss Solar."

Colin than spoke up, "she has done a fine job, Miss Solar." 

Solar nodded, "Very good." She then noticed an elderly man enter the inn. 

"Ohh... There's Sir Ian McCulloch. He was decorated for bravery by King George the III for bravery at the battle of Waterloo. He's one of our regulars. Moonbyul get him a pint of our best ale. I'll greet him." 

And so it went, while I loved working in close proximity of So

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter