Breaking character

A love through time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Breaking character
Chapter 15

Moonbyul's POV

I would love to tell you that we immediately fell in love and lived happily ever after. But in the 3 weeks I've been in scenic 1869, I pretty much gotten nowhere. All I've managed to accomplish is get is a blister on my right foot and proven to myself I can play the part of dutiful servant girl continuingly and only go slightly crazy. 

I'm not going to go into all the 21st century luxuries that I have to deal without. I've cleaned every square inch of that house and inn no less than 5 times in my estimation. My iPod, kindle and phone have kept me from going completely nuts. 

After a long day, I collapse in bed, listen to some music, watch a movie or attempt to beat the latest level of angry birds. Note to self: Strangle Jackson when I get back, for getting me addicted to this utterly stupid game. 

Actually it was Seulgi taunting me that I couldn't beat the stupid game that got me so worked up. I ended up taking her stupid challenge just to spite her. I'll deal with her too. 

As I said, I only got slightly crazy. 

As far as Solar goes, We can hardly best be described as friendly acquaintances. I see her every day and my heart jumps every time I do. I will admit I steal glances of her whenever I can. She's so beautiful, I can barely restrain myself sometimes. But she's a member of the upper class and I'm just a servant. Not that she treats me poorly. In fact, she's very nice and we menage to talk. But there is this line that she won't cross. I can't even get into the dreaded "friend zone". 

About a week after my arrival, I read in the journal that she had gone riding one afternoon. It was my day off and I thought that if I happened to be by the barn, I could ask to go riding with her. I know that the journals haven't changed with my arrival, but I hoped that was still true. I know what you're thinking, it is a bit stalkerish and you're right off course. But I'm doing this for a good cause. On the path she is on, she will die a painful and lonely death in little over a year's time. I can't just let that happen. 

I've seen Eric on a few occasions, but I've played the part of servant and held my tongue. 

I found her on her horse as she was walking out of the barn. 

"Hello Moonbyul, what brings you out here?" She asked with her normal friendly smile. 

"I was just walking around, I've been working so much, I haven't had much time to enjoy the local scenery. I see you're going out for a ride, can I join you?" 

For a split second, there was a hopeful look in her eyes, but then she quickly looked to the house and a nervous indecisive look came to her face. She then gave me a rather sad and embarrassed smile. 

"I think it's best that I ride alone, no offense."

I couldn't help but frown, "None taken, see you around then."

I quickly turned to leave as I couldn't hold the look of extreme hurt off my face much longer. Yeah, I know it's just riding, but being rejected stung rather badly. I've come all this way and my heart burns for her. I know she dies lonely and in pain. Walking home, I burst into tears. Perhaps I'm expecting too much too fast, I just don't know. 

I went home, had a good cry and spend the rest of my day off in bed listening to music. Very sad music I may add. 

The next day I put on my game face and did my work as if nothing was wrong. Since then, I don't feel like I've made any serious inroads. The wedding is less than 2 months away and I'm starting to get a bit frustrated. I'll add that I am a bit homesick, I would kill for a coffee from Jetbrew, cruddy food from Nozu or even a ing shower. 

Today is Sunday, May 23rd 1869, it's early in the evening and the inn is full. On Saturday and Sunday nights, a very limited meal is served while the food lasts. It's normally some kind of stew or soup with some bread the cook makes. It's very popular and the place is always packed. 

I'm working the tables, delivering drinks like I always do. Solar is her normal happy self, taking with the various towns people who have joined us tonight. 

It's the normal crowd, with one exception. There is a group of 4 soldiers, being loud, drinking heavily and gambling in the corner. Unlike the normal soldiers who frequent this establishment, these man look a bit different. They appeared much tanner than the other ones and their uniforms look a bit more worn. They also have a look of hunger in their eyes and it's not for food. They just look kind of rough. I'm guessing that their regiment has probably just arrived back from India, Africa or some other far off place.

I ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter