Knock Knock

A love through time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Knock Knock
Chapter 16

No one's POV

Moonbyul's heart dropped instantly when she saw the tall form of Mr. Ferrer standing on her doorstep.

"May I come in?" he said quickly. 

"Please do," she said with a nod of her head.

Mr. Ferrer walked in and turned around, waiting for Moonbyul to close the door. As soon as she did, he began to speak. 

"I heard what happened tonight. Both from Solar and one of our regulars, Eddie McMaster. He witnessed the whole thing."

Moonbyul found herself unable to look Mr. Ferrer in the eyes. Instead, she lowered her head so she was looking at his shoes. Moonbyul knew she was dead. 

"I take it I'm discharged," Moonbyul said, wanting to get it over with. 

"Is that what you think I'm here for?" Mr. Ferrer answered, sounding a bit surprised. 

Slightly confused, the Korean rebel looked up at Mr. Ferrer. "Frankly Sir, yes. I treated that sergeant rather roughly, not to mention I pretty much humiliated him by doing it in front of his men. My father thought me how to fight. He wanted his girl to be able to handle herself."

He smiled slightly and shook his head. "No Moonbyul, you are not discharged. In fact I wanted to thank you."

"What?"

"I know Solar wanted to handle things her way, but these soldiers from the sound of it just arrived back from somewhere. I've seen men like that, especially after a long posting overseas. Men like that are capable of nearly anything. You preformed above and beyond your duty as a servant."

"Thank you," Moonbyul mumbled quietly. 

Though the last part of what he said, stuck in her mind. As if he were somehow reminding Moonbyul of her place. 

"In gratitude, I will increase your salary by 2 pence a week. You've done very well so far." 

Moonbyul bowed slightly, "Thank you ever so much Sir. How is Solar?" 

"She's a bit upset, but will recover. Thank you for your concern," he said in his usual polite, but military like manner. 

"You're welcome Sir." 

Mr. Ferrer moved towards the door, "Well, I have to attend some business before I turn in. I will leave you alone for this evening. Good night, Moonbyul." 

"Thank you Sir, have a good night." Moonbyul responded as she walked him to the door and closed it behind him. 

A few moments later, Moonbyul was alone. While she had kept her job, Solar was probably still mad at her. Plus there was no telling when and if Solar would ever talk to her again. Moonbyul felt about as defeated as she did before. Sighing, she sat down and tried to figure out how to get back into Solar's good graces. 

Moonbyul was still sitting there a half hour later when there was another knock at the door, "What the hell?" 

Puzzled as to who was now at her door, Moonbyul pulled it open to see Solar standing on her doorstep. Unlike before, she did not look angry; in fact she looked somewhat humbled. 

"Can I please come in, Moonbyul? I would like to speak with you if I could."

Not quite sure what this was about, Moonbyul gestured for her to come in. As before, she waited until her guest was inside and shut the door. 

As she turned to Solar, she quickly noticed the half Latina, half Korean fumbling with her hands in a rather nervous manner. "Thank you for seeing me." 

"So what can I do for you, Miss Solar?" Moonbyul addressed her as she would normally while she was working. 

Still a bit upset at being yelled at, she decided to keep it a bit formal. 

"I've come to apologize, I'm sorry of how I acted earlier. My behavior was dreadful. You were trying to protect me and I reacted badly." Solar said quietly as she lowered her head towards the floor, much like a child that had just been scolded. 

First, Solar's father thanking her and now Solar was apologizing. Moonbyul wasn't sure what to expect next. She was still in the game, but in the back of her mind, she wondered if it were the gods, just playing more tricks. Letting her just a bit closer, before yanking her all the way back again. Though she wasn't sure if it was a good idea, M

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter