A new world

A love through time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A new world
Chapter 28

No one's POV

After the tender moment, Moonbyul got serious. "Okay, I need to go over some things with you."

"Okay."

"Now first of all, tell no one you are from 1869. The time machine that we used was one of a kind. Most people do not believe it's possible to travel trough time and would think you had lost your mind. Another reason we don't want people to know, as some may want to use it for evil purpose.

Solar nodded, "What do I say then?"

"I have a friend named Margaret, who is going to get you some identity documents so you can pass as someone from this time. We have come up with a story that explains things; Your parents were both English-Korean, Benjamin and Leah Kim. They moved to the remote Scottish island of Eilean Nan Ron before you were born. They were the islands only inhabitants. Your parents rejected all forms of technology and preferred to live a simple life, away from other people...

They only came to the mainland 2 or 3 times a year and only for supplies. You grew up on the island and were kept very isolated from the modern world. You've recently decided to rejoin the modern world and sadly were attacked in London shortly after you arrived. I know it's a lie, but it will explain you not knowing what a lot of things are. Do you follow?"

"I understand."

"Okay, as I said you're in a hospital. You'll see lots of strange things, but the doctors and nurses here want to help you. In fact, they've been ordered to give you extra special treatment. This room you're in with the nice carpeting and tan walls is the best one here. Don't be afraid of them."

"It looks strange, but it is nice."

"Okay, now that we have that straight. The doctor told me you should be out of the hospital in 5-7 days."

"Then what?"

"I told your father I would take care of you and in any case we can be together, you can stay with me in my appartement in Herford."

While the prospect of being with Moonbyul all the time had a giant thrill element for Solar, the prospect of actually living in sin made her uncomfortable. She felt very torn about it. But as to not offend Moonbyul and knowing she didn't have any choice, Solar smiled. "That sounds nice."

Moonbyul then leaned over and kissed Solar on the cheek, "Just you and me."

Then a loud knock at the door broke the momentarily quiet of the room.

The Korean rebel made a fist and growled at the interruption, "Come in."

The door quickly opened and walked in Southwark, shopping back in hand. "She's awake, good to see that."

"Who is this?" Asked Solar.

"I— uhh... this is—"

Before Moonbyul could even answer, Southwark immediately walked up and shook Solar's hand. "I'm professor Southwark, inventor of the time machine. Not to mention super genius." He playfully boasted.

Moonbyul just shook her head and muttered something about a runaway ego.

The Victorian patient smiled politely and gracefully grabbed his hand, "Very much pleased to meet you, I'm solar."

"I am so sorry Solar, that things turned out as they did. I'm just so glad that we were at least able to get you in to the hospital on time."

"Thank you, professor."

The Korean rebel suddenly thought for a moment, "Hey, how come it's professor Southwark instead of doctor Southwark like you were calling yourself earlier or did I screw up your time line too?"

"No, professor just sounds more impressive. And Moonbyul, did you explain where she is?"

"Yes, she is in London in the 2018. She's taking it in rather well."

Southwark looked at Solar and studied her polite expression. Sadly, he very much doubted she had even begun to accept anything. Not wanting to ruin the moment, he said nothing.

"Hey, what's left of the machine? How does it look?"

The said professor pulled up a chair, sat down and shook his head. "Junk, total, junk. Every circuit, relay and every other part of it is totally roasted."

He then looked apologetically at the Victorian patient, "I am terribly sorry, but to put it simply, the door between your world and mine is closed and will be so for some time. I wish I could give you a different answer but I can't."

"I understand, professor." Solar said with a note of sadness in her voice.

Moonbyul then remembered her promise to the Korean-Latina's father, "You can rebuild it, can't you?"

He nodded, "Yes, but I'm afraid it may take some time. It took me 10 years to build it as some of the components were very hard to find."

Again, Solar just helplessly nodded.

"Southwark, I still don't get how you remember the old time line. I understand I did as I was the one that went back, but you remember the old one too. I don't get it."

"Well, I remember the old one, you were upset because she married him and all that and you went back to stop it. I think it's because my close proximity to the machine. I was shielded to speak. So were all the journals and other items of Solar's that you had. They are as they were in the box that you stored in the lab."

Moonbyul next pointed to the shopping bag which Southwark was holding, "What's in the bag?"

He pulled out two small green books and placed them on the table next to the Victorian patients bed, "Moonbyul once mentioned to me you like to read so I ran down to one of the largest book stores in town and found this. I was looking for something you may be familiar with and was in luck. I found bound volumes of the 19th century literary journal; 'All the year round.' I believe Charles Dickens founded it and ran several of his stories in it. I have volumes for the years 1869-1874. I'm not sure if you've read it, but I thought it may help you to have something to read that you were familiar with."

Solar carefully picked up one of the books and paged trough it, "My father was a regular reader, I'm very familiar with this publication. Thank you." 

He next pulled out a tan book, "I saw this and it looked interesting, the author is from your era." 

Solar examined the book and smiled the title read; 'The complete poetical works

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter