The circle

A love through time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The circle
Chapter 25

No one's POV

With a broken heart, Moonbyul quietly slipped out of the church in the confusion caused by 8 separate woman fainting all at once. 

"It's the best way." thought the Korean rebel sadly. "We're from different worlds and in any case, she doesn't know the real me anyway. I completed my mission, stopped the wedding and destroyed Eric. He won't hurt Yeba or anyone else for that matter. It's best to simply return home and mend my broken heart."

Then suddenly Moonbyul heard a female voice behind her, calling her name. "Moonbyul!" 

For an instant her heart leapt as she thought that it might be Solar coming after her, but her spirits fell again when she saw it was only her fellow servant, Emily, running up to her. 

"Emily?" 

"Oh Moonbyul, I can't believe it. I thought that Eric was such a good man but instead he was stealing money and all that. It's a miracle you were able to stop the wedding before Miss Solar married that blackguard." 

The Korean-American smiled weakly, "He fooled lots of people. The only person he ever cared about was himself. I merely exposed him for what he was." 

"More then that, I've never seen a woman do that to a man before. Certain it may be a sin, but I enjoyed watching you make short work of him I think you could teach my brothers a thing or two about fighting. Where did you learn that?"

"Back home, which reminds me. Could you do me a favor Emily— actually two favors?"

Emily nodded, "Of course."

Moonbyul pulled out a letter from her bag, "Could you give this to Mr. Ferrer the next time you see him? It's my resignation letter. I'm sorry to give such short notice, but I've learned that my mother has fallen ill and I need to return home immediately. I'm going to pack and leave today."

With a shocked look on her face, Emily took the letter. "It was a pleasure to know you Moonbyul. I'm sorry your mother's ill."

Moonbyul nodded, "Thank you, and it was a pleasure to know you as well. But before I go, there's something I wanted to tell you. I don't think you've noticed but, Michael Turner? The farmer's son who delivers the milk every morning. I'm pretty sure he likes you. I've chatted with him once or twice. He seems like a decent sort, you should talk to him sometime. Maybe you'll like him back as not all guys are like Eric."

Emily's eyes went wide, "He's so handsome, I didn't know. Thank you ever so much Moonbyul. What else did you need?"

Moonbyul than pointed to her horse, "I borrowed the horse from the stables and I rode him pretty hard and he's tired. I'm going to walk home trough the fields and take the long way. If you could have Robert take him back to the stables, that would be great."

"Of course. Thank you, Moonbyul. I'll miss you."

She smiled, "Take care, Emily."

With that, Moonbyul turned and began the walk home. She could have taken the horse, but she wanted some time to walk and think. That and she went to cry her eyes out.

The no longer to be held wedding, soon broke up and the various guests exited to return home. Today's incident would be spoken about for some time; how a mysterious Korean-American exposed Eric Nam as a thief and charlatan on his wedding day. Then when he insulted the bride, she proceeded to beat him senseless.

Solar who had been revived, was still somewhat in shock and had to be helped to the wagon by her father and Mrs. Bailey.

Eric on the other hand was dragged out of the church semi-conscious and dumped into the back of Constables Hill's wagon. He had a pair of shackles to keep his prisoner secure and locked him up until they reached the county jail.

A few minutes later, all the wagons departed and headed their different ways. It was about  2 miles down the road, when Constable Hill heard Eric starting to groan.

Ignoring it at first, Constable Hills soon heard the moans getting louder.

"Aieeshh... It hurts." 

"Nah, be quiet." The constable snapped back. 

But Eric kept groaning louder and louder as if he was in great pain, "I think she broke half my ribs. Please look at it. Urghh... I— I think I need a doctor." 

"Alright," said Constable Hill as he brought the wagon to a halt. The constable quickly got off the front and got in the back where Eric was curled up in a ball on the floor of the wagon looking like he was in pure agony. 

"Alright now, let me look at it." Said the constable as he walked up to him. 

That's when Eric, though shackled, hopped up and kicked the constable in the groin. Before he could even react, Eric jumped on top of him. 

Unaware of what happened to the constable, Solar and her father arrived home a short while later. Still very upset and in shock, Mrs. Bailey helped her out of her wedding dress and into bed for a rest. Solar barely knew what to think, she had honestly thought Eric was a decent upstanding man. She had been so angry at Moonbyul for accusing him for being a thief and the Korean rebel just might have done it out of jealousy. 

But today it became painfully clear that he was a thief, liar, gambler and a womanizer. Not to mention it was obvious that he didn't care for her in the slightest. Another thought came to her as she layed in bed. Where was Moonbyul? 

Emily who had arrived a short while later in a second carriage, with Mr. Bailey and Robert, sought out Mr. Ferrer right away. 

She found him in the upstairs hallway.

"Mr. Ferrer, Sir."

"Yes, Emily?"

Emily handed him the letter, "I saw Moonbyul outside of the church. She told me to give you this."

"I wanted to speak with her, and what is this?"

"She said it's her resignation letter. She said her mother has fallen ill and needs to return home right away. She apologizes but said she needs to leave as soon as she may. She will be leaving this night." 

He opened the letter and read the contents without expression. 

"Thank you, Emily." He said quietly as he put the letter down on a table in the hallway. 

Mr. Ferrer was quite perplexed by the recent turn of events and frankly didn't know what to make of them. Leaving the letter where he put it down, he walked to his study to think. 

Solar had fallen asleep, but slept fitfully. After about two hours she awoke and went to find her father. However as she walked into the hallway she spotted a piece of paper. Curious she picked it up and read;

"Dear Mr. Ferrer, 

This letter is to formally announce my immediate resignation. I'm truly sorry for not being able to give more notice but I have gotten word that my mother has fallen ill and must return home immediately. I will be packing my things and leaving as soon as I can. Thank you very much for giving me a chance to work in your household, I found it an enlightening experience.

Moonbyul."

Solar read the letter with disbelief, then read it again. First, Moonbyul swoops in and saves her from marrying Eric then she simply quits and leaves. She couldn't have that, she had to see Moonbyul. Her heart heart would not allow this to go unresolved.

Putting the paper down, Solar quickly put on a dress, closed the door to her room and left. No one saw her leave.

Not more than 2 minutes after she left the back of the house, there was a knock at the front door. Being nearby, Mr. Ferrer answered to find it was Mr. Buckland, one of the townspeople.

"Mr. Ferrer, Sir. I have urgent news. That Mr. Eric Nam, who was to marry your daughter until he was exposed as a thief, has escaped."

"What?" Exclaimed Mr. Ferrer, suddenly looking very worried.

"He beat poor Constable Hill, nearly half to death. Must have tricked him or something. Even worse, Mr. Howard the farmer who lives near there, reported that someone broke into his house while he was out. Some money and a pistol was stolen. We're organizing a search party to find Eric Nam and apprehend him. In any case, we're warning everyone to stay indoors until he's caught."

Mr. Ferrer took a deep breath and in a urgent tone said, "I'll get my pistol, Mr. Bailey, Robert and I will join you. Wait here."

Rushing into the house he encountered Mrs. Bailey, "Mrs. Bailey, that rouge Eric has escaped from Constable Hill's custody and nearly beat him half to death in the process. He also stole a pistol and is now armed. Now, Solar is sleeping up in her room, so leave her there. I'm getting Mr. Bailey and Robert and we're joining the search for him. You lock the house and stay indoors until we return, that's an order. I would advise you and Emily to stay in your rooms. Understood?"

Mrs. Bailey nodded quickly, "Yes Mr. Ferrer, Sir."

Mr. Ferrer quickly rounded up Mr. Bailey and Robert then set out with Mr. Buckland for the search. As requested, Mrs. Bailey locked up all the doors and windows. She was tempted to check on Solar, but decided to leave her alone and retire to her room.

Moonbyul had taken her long tear filled walk and upon arriving immediately, was changed into her traveling clothes and began to pack. She had seen no one in her long walk trough the country and was not aware of Eric's escape.

Finally, Moonbyul had all her things packed and just wanted to get going. She wanted to get back to London and then back to 2018 so she could at least try and get on with her life. To only see Solar again would make things harder, Moonbyul just wanted to go.

She had packed all her things except for her modern devices which she left sitting on her bed. Having to go to the bathroom, Moonbyul went to the outhouse, and was glad that this will be the last time she would ever have to use that smelly horrid place.

Just after she entered the outhouse, a now frantic Solar ran towards the cabin. She was so afraid she would miss Moonbyul. 

Solar then burst into the cabin, "Moonbyul?!" 

But there was no answer. Afraid she had missed the woman who so stirred her feelings, she quickly ran into the bedroom to see if her bags were there. 

Much to her relief, Moonbyul's belongings were sitting on the bed. A second later, she spotted some other strange looking objects which were laying on the bed. 

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter