The garden

A love through time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The garden
Chapter 20

No one's POV

Solar, her father and Moonbyul entered the ball. From what Moonbyul had read, there was a certain formality to how things were done. Such as, one could not ask a woman to dance without a proper introduction. 

Mr. Ferrer promptly went off and returned a few moments later with a small card and handed it to Moonbyul. 

He also gave her a pencil 

"Here your dance card, Solar is engaged so she is not likely to be asked to dance as it would seem not in good taste. But in case you are not familiar, it is a list of all the songs and dances they will play and a line to put down who you plan to dance with."

"Thank you," she replied. 

Moonbyul had heard the term dance card before, yet never actually had seen one. But that was how things were done, so she decided to play along. 

Moonbyul's little play was not due for another hour so she, Solar and Mr. Ferrer walked around and mingled. Moonbyul was introduced to several well do to people; Young man, Old man, proper ladies, etc. They were are all engaged in polite conversation with many asking about America and what it was like. 

Though she had no interest in men, she quickly noticed several of them were interested in her. Several of the young man were struck by her beauty and just by the fact that she was so different. After a short while, Moonbyul had been asked to dance by at least 6 men. Not wanting to be rude, she graciously accepted and penciled them down on her dance card. 

Solar wanting to eat some food, pulled Moonbyul aside and took her into the adjoining room where a buffet of light finger foods was presented in a most elaborate manner. The table had tea, coffee, an assortment of ices, biscuits, cakes, cracker bonbons and small sandwiches. All of them were on a silver trays and each of the food looked delicious.

Moonbyul chuckled at herself for the sheer fanciness of it all. She couldn't help but think of some of the parties she attended back in high school. A half barrel in one room, A DJ in another and sometimes a few bags of potato chips to munch on. This was light years ahead of that.

After nibbling on a few sandwiches, it was time for her to dance with some of the men who had requested. She had explained that she didn't really know the steps, but the guys didn't seem to care.

Moonbyul of course, pretended to enjoy the rather formal dance. She did so for two reasons, first not to be rude and secondly maybe it would make Solar just a bit jealous. 

Solar then spent a lot of her time, with her father or talking to some of the older ladies in attendance. All the while, she kept an eye on the mysterious Korean-American beauty, as Moonbyul danced with the young man. Solar found herself not liking it one single bit, much to her surprise. 

Finally it was time to prepare for the small play. Moonbyul and her co-star quickly changed into their costumes as Sir Miles announced that for his guests he was going to have a couple of short scenes from Shakespeare presented to them. 

The little play was presented on a small stage that had been constructed in one corner of the ballroom. 

As they were about to go on, the Korean-American girl found herself a bit nervous. Though she was loathe to admit it, she did suffer from stage fright on occasion. 

Seeing her nervousness as they were about to take the stage, Charles looked sympathetically at her. "Stage fright?" 

She nodded, "I shouldn't. I know, but it happens sometimes. I want to put on a good show for my friend and I'm nervous. I'll bet that it is something you don't have to contend with." 

Charles laughed then leaned in close, "I'll tell you a little secret. Stage fright, I suffer from terrible stage fright. Always have."

Moonbyul did a trouble take. From what she knew of Charles Green he was cool as a cucumber before he went on stage, "What? I never suspected. How do you deal with it?" 

Charles paused for a moment, as he listened to their host introduce them. He then looked back to Moonbyul with a wry smile, "I just act as if it doesn't bother me at all. I do believe it's time. After you my lady." 

The pair hit the stage and Moonbyul simply acted as if the stage fright didn't bother her. Soon they were in the scene and all was going well. 

Solar quickly moved to the front and was impressed by Moonbyul's acting skill. It was amazing how the Moonbyul she knew vanished and was replaced by sinister Lady Macbeth. Solar was more than impressed. 

As the performance went on, Solar found herself wondering about the tattooed roses on her shoulder. Roses signified love and from what Solar knew about tattoos is that they were of great significance to the person with them. 

"Roses with huge thorns, someone must have broke her heart. It has to mean that. Who gave her the roses with thorns? Someone had to have," She whispered to herself, as she further mulled it over.

Moonbyul and Charles green's performance, though short, was very well received. They got a quick and vigorous round of applause from the assembled. 

After they were done and changed back into their clothes, Sir Miles came up to Moonbyul and Charles looking pleased. They also noticed he was carrying two glasses of wine. 

"You've both performed beyond my fullest expectations. I'll be sure to pay you both a bit extra. But in the meantime, while you mingle with the impressed crowd, have a glass of my finest wine, Chateau Yguem 1796."

Moonbyul smiled, took the wine and had a sip. Her mother was a huge wine snob and Moonbyul reveled in the fact that her mother would die of envy if she knew that her daughter was drinking wine form 1796. The best part was the wine itself was pretty damn good. 

For a time Moonbyul basket in the adulation of the crowd. She was dying to know what Solar was thinking of it, but she hadn't spoken to me yet. 

Finally, Moonbyul felt a tap on her shoulder, she turned around to see a smiling Solar. 

"Moonbyul, your performance was marvelous. I was quite imp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter