Roughing it

A love through time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Roughing it
Chapter 11

Moonbyul's POV

"Right this way, Moonbyul" Solar said as she led me through the inn.

I followed her to the far right corner, near one end of the bar where there was a door. I followed her through the door to a small hallway. To the left was a kitchen to the right was a door where she knocked on. 

"Yes?" Said a stern voice from within. 

"Father, it's me Solar, may I enter?"

"Yes come in."

Solar opened the door and I followed her in. The room was a small office. In the center sat a large wooden desk cluttered with paper of all sorts. Behind him were some shelves with various books. The office had other things, paintings, a sword hanging on the wall, but I didn't pay much attention to that. 

Instead I focused on Solar's father, he appeared to be a man in his late 40's-early 50's, with graying hair and piercing blue-green eyes. Upon me walking in, he immediately eyed me with a strange look. 

"Father, this is Moonbyul. A Korean-American, from Los Angeles, in California. She is traveling, seeing England and heard about Cecilia's resign. She's looking for a job." 

For a moment his eyes narrowed, "Come forth please." He said, "A most unusual manner of dress. If you don't mind me saying so."

I guessed that may be one of his comments, "I have been traveling so I wear clothes that can take some wear and tear. That and dressed as a man, I tend to get bothered less. The coat, hat and boots were my late father's."

"He served in your recent Civil War? I'm a military man myself, retired of course." 

I could tell he was once an army officer. His bearing was stern and serious and he sat up straight. His eyes, never diverting from me.

"Yes, my father Jun Myeon did serve in the Civil War. We had moved west to California in 1858. When the war broke out, my father returned to his native city Michigan and signed up for the 5th, Michigan Cavalry Company E. Serving from 1862 to 1865 and rising to the rank of sergeant. He fought in numerous battles, including Gettysburg."

My father is Jun Myeon and he was born in Michigan, that much of it is true--- but he relocated back to Seoul which was his ancestors country, raised a family and decided to finally settle in Los Angeles. While he obviously didn't serve in the civil war his great great grandfather did serve in that very regiment. In reality, my father is an executive at an insurance company. 

He looked mildly impressed and seemed to think for a moment before nodding, "I see, you are traveling and seeing England."

"Yes. My father died about a year ago. Since then my mother sold the family business, for a good sum of money. We sold horses. I've always wanted to see some of the world. My father had a huge library in our home; I've read about all these places in the world and thought I might  go see some."

"What did your mother think of your little trip?" 

"Actually she was fine with it. Her family is originally from South Korea and has some distant relatives there. I promised I would visit them before I returned. Her father raised her to be very independent and thus she did with me." 

He took it all without changing his expression, "You mentioned you read in your father's library. You are literate I take?" 

I couldn't help but smirk at this point, "Yes Sir, In both English and Spanish. Though I'm more familiar with the Mexican dialect--- Korean also. My father got me the best education that was available." 

Solar who has been standing next to me suddenly lit up, "You speak Spanish? My mother was from Spain, but she was also originated in far east side of Asia. Since my sister has gotten married. I've had no one to speak it with."

I turned to Solar with a smile, "Estaría mas que feliz de hablar a español." 

I do actually speak Spanish fluently. I took it in school and it also made me know pretty much every Spanish swear word and insult in existence. 

"Muy bien, gracias." she answers back with a grin. 

Turning back to her father. "I told your daughter, I can't promise I'll stay forever, but I am a very hard worker and can stay for several months until you find a more permanent replacement. Herford is a nice town and I wouldn't mind staying a while."

"Good, good. You seem quite suited. You've come right in time. I am in need of a servant as Cecilia has just quit. She has just gotten engaged and will be moving up to Yorkshire when she marries. The duties will be split between maintaining the house which is immediately behind the Inn and helping in the Inn itself. When working in the house you will report to my housekeeper, Mrs. Bailey. Working her you will report to either me or my daughter. I can pay you 3 Schillings, 6 pence a week. Is that satisfactory?"

I nodded, "Fine, perfect. I do have one question."

"Go ahead." 

"Are lodgings included? If not, do you know of a room I can rent somewhere nearby?" 

"Well in the house itself no. Cecilia lived just up the street with her parents, so she didn't live in the house."

Solar then interjected, "Sorry to interrupt father. But what of the old gamekeeper's cabin?" 

He quickly nodded, "Perfect. My property along with the park adjacent, was once part of a larger estate, belonging to the Leeway family. At the far end of the property, about a half mile back, there is a small cabin. It used to belong to the gamekeeper that they once employed. I do not employ a gamekeeper so it has gone unused. The cabin itself is sturdily built and remains in good condition. How about I let you stay there, and we adjust your salary to 3 schillings, 3 pence a week. If that is not satisfactory, I believe Mrs. Currie has a room to..."

"No, that will be perfectly fine." I said cutting him off. I just wanted the job. I would have even slept in the stables, that's how much I wanted this. Though, I'd would rather sleep closer to Solar, like in the same bed. Being in a cabin may be a good thing, it would give me some privacy. When not working, I can entertain myself by listening to music or watching movies on my kindle. 

He nodded with a smile and extended his hand, "Excellent, welcome aboard. I'll have you shown to your quarters and you can then start tomorrow. You look both tired and wet and I'm sure you would like to unpack your things. Mrs. Bailey will fill you in."

He then turned t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter