A new job

A love through time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A new job
Chapter 3

Moonbyul's POV

My funds were running low so I most certainly needed a job. While my college was paid for and I had saved enough for my room and board, I had little else to spare. My purchases of things belonging to Solar, used up a good sized chunk of the cash I had.

I had spotted a note advertising a job for a lab assistant. It was a strange note stating that the job had long hours and had lousy pay, but possibly great rewards. So I called the number, but got an answering machine. I left my name, number and e-mail address and said I was interested in the lab assistant position.

I got an email 2 hours later.

'come today at 12 in the afternoon to my lab for an interview. It's an old factory on the east end of London. 320 Black Church lane.'

Looking at my clock I realized I needed to leave that instant to get there on time. I didn't even have time to change into something more presentable. I was dressed in black jeans and a black lace shirt.

"Oh well. You didn't give me enough time to change. What you see is what you get."

I mumbled as I grabbed my keys and headed out.

I made it down to the tube station in a record time. Fortunately luck was with me and I managed to arrive at the address with 5 minutes to spare. The building looked very old and appeared to be a small factory once. The erea had several old factories that appeared to have been converted into lofts and small businesses.

The front seemed to be remodeled at some point and some storefronts put in. There was a dry cleaners and a Chinese restaurant that seemed to be the only two occupied at the moment. 320 Black Church lane. Was at the end and I noticed immediately that the glass was painted over. But over the doorway in faded letters read 'Atlas Records and Tapes.'

I began to have a bad feeling about this job and reached inside my leather jacket to make sure my trusty pair of scissors were present. I knocked at the door but I got no response, so I tried the knob. The door was open so I walked in.

The front room was obviously a record store at one point in time. I saw a counter, and racks with boxes of what appeared to be electronic parts. Other boxes held papers and reference books of some technical nature. The whole place looked chaotic and unorganized. In one corner sat a cluttered desk that was covered with papers.

Before I could do anything, a man who looked about 40 burst out of the door in the back. The door itself said Keep out. His hair was unkempt and dressed kind of like a hippy.

Holding something in his hand he rushed up to me with an excited expression. "Tell me, what is this?" I noticed right away he was a American.

I took a quick look at the object in his hand. "Um... It looks like a socket wrench that is half melted."

He huffed and looked at the thing rather strangely. "I thought so too. At least it didn't completely melt this time."

He then pulled out a can of coconut milk from his pocket opened it and took a sip while lookin me over carefully. "Dressed in Goth clothing, hasty judgemental expression. Do you like science fiction?" 

I shook my head "Only when people die."

"Are you a patient person?" 

"No!" 

"Let me guess. You love horror movies and all kinds of morbid things."

"Yes."

"Are you a student?" 

"Yes." 

"What is your major? Please tell me it's not physics, mathematics or history." 

This was the strangest interview I've ever had. He didn't seem menacing just a bit odd. "I'm majoring in Theater, with a minor in writing." 

He then leaned in and gave me a very suspicious look. "Jacob Foster didn't send you, did he? He's always spying on me." 

I searched my mind for who that was and came up empty. "Who's Jacob Foster?" 

"what's your name?" 

"It's Moonbyul." 

He then smiled and extended his hand, "Well Moonbyul. You're hired. The pay is 300 pounds every two weeks. The working conditions are messy, I may call you at odd times and have you do odd things. But thanks to an arrangement, meals are included. In courtesy of the Chinese restaurant two doors down. We have an arrangement. There are two rules at present."

"What are they?" 

"The door in the back has a hallway. You will find the bathrooms there. But at the end of the hallway is another door. There is some very dangerous equipment in there. Until I say so, you must stay out. Second rule is that you must not discuss what you see or do here. Deal?"

I'm going to regret this. "Sure." I said as I shook his hand. 

He handed me a wad of pound notes. "Great

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter