Trouble in paradise

A love through time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Trouble in paradise 
Chapter 30

No one's POV

As if Solar weren't freaking out enough on the patio, that appearance of a helicopter above nearly sent her over the edge.

"It's a monster!" The Victorian patient shrieked, as she pointed to the helicopter as it zipped by.

Moonbyul immediately took Solar's hand and assured her it was not a monster but a flying machine. Seeing that she had enough, rolled Solar back to her room, all the while trying to explain the various forms of modern transportations. The Korean-Latina only half listened, as she was still quite rattled.

After Solar was eased into bed, she quickly fell asleep, having been worn out by her little trip to the patio.

The Korean rebel at that point lowered her head and slumped into a chair. Moonbyul was most certainly getting the feeling that things were not going as well as she had hoped.

"."

Solar slept for a while, than waking just before lunch. Lunch was fine, save for the fact that the Korean-American was forced to explain what Jello was. Moonbyul hated Jello more than any other food in existence, her mom made it all the time for dinner when she was growing up. That wobbling food substance constantly reminded her of tense, quiet and uneasy dinners in her household. It's never easy growing up in a house where your parents hate each other.

"So as I explained, it's called Jello. It comes in many flavors and can be used in different ways like in salads, as a dish by itself, and many say it's fun."

Moonbyul explained, in a rather matter of fact tone of voice.

"Oh...." Solar mumbled as she put some on her plastic fork and watch the red colored substance wobble. She then shoveled it in .

"I like this Jello. Do you like Jello?"

The Korean rebel shuddered and glared at the rather innocuous looking half eaten square of Jello on Solar's tray, "No, I hate it. It's evil."

"So, I shouldn't eat it then?" Solar asked puzzled.

"No eat it if you like it, just keep it out of my sight. I can't stand to eat or even look at Jello."

The Victorian patient quickly finished off the Jello and continued with her lunch. Solar had calmed down slightly since this morning, but still felt very uneasy and scared about what she had seen. Strange looking buildings and flying machines, she understood none of it.

Just after lunch, Margaret arrived to see how Solar was doing. Moonbyul had previously explained to her who Margaret was and how she had helped the Korean rebel. Solar greeted the elderly woman with utmost courtesy and thanked Margaret for her generosity.

Once Margaret expressed her desire to hear more about the Victorian age and what it was like, the Korean-Latina seemed to perk up a bit.

Moonbyul at this point excused herself to take a break and get something to eat. Though things weren't going so well, she hoped once they got home things would go better.

Solar and Margaret spoke for more than an hour and Margaret very much enjoyed the 1st hand descriptions of life in the Victorian era. Solar enjoyed speaking of her time and what it was like. Margaret just before she left, thanked the latter for the wonderful talk and invited her to come over and have dinner sometime after she got settled.

For the next three days, Moonbyul did her best to acclimate Solar to the modern world.

The next day, Moonbyul went to the library and got some children picture books. She figured children's books would be the best way for Solar to learn. One book was of various types of houses and buildings. Another book was all types of transportation and the third was just a pictorial book of various places in the world.

The Victorian patient would look trough the books and Moonbyul would explain what everything was. Solar politely noted each thing and did her best to keep it all straight. But with so many new facts, pictures and stories of the modern world, Solar felt even more disconnected and isolated. She however kept those feelings to herself as she could she Moonbyul was trying hard. Though at times, the Korean-Latina felt as if she was trying too hard.

The only place Solar put down her ever increasing feeling of isolation and loneliness was in her journal. Even her "relationship" with Moonbyul was being affected, as Solar just wasn't sure if she really knew who her lover really was.

The next day, Moonbyul planned to demonstrate the TV and radio. She had brought in a small portable radio and placed it on the table next to her bed.

"Now Yeba, this is a radio. I told you music and sound could be recorded, but it can also be transmitted over great distances trough the use of radio waves."

"Radio waves?" Solar asked, adding yet another thing on the ever growing pile of things she didn't understand.

"They're in the air and always have been. I don't understand how it works, but it does. There are a lot of stations and each station puts out  different kinds of programs. Some play music, some talk about sports and have peop

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter