An old photo

A love through time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1
An old photo

No one's POV 

Moonbyul was in her second month of her first year abroad in England when she stepped in the shop that would change her life. Recently having graduated the Los Angeles high school of arts, she won a scholarship to attend a prestigious private arts school named Broadlands college. It was located in a small community, called Herford which was located just outside of London. 

Things had gone well and she had settled in her small flat that was over a bakery. Besides spending her time involved with school work, she would frequently explore the town in her spare time. A town which prided itself on a small town feel, being located so close to London.

On this particular Sunday afternoon, she wandered into an antique shop that was located just off the downtown. She hoped to find something gothic looking to decorate her rather plain flat with. It was a small shop and was packed with antiques floor to ceiling. Moonbyul wondered just how they could fit so much in.

But on this visit, not much caught her eye. Well, the antique end table did. But once she saw the price of 300 pounds, her interest quickly waned. She had only about 55 pounds to spend.

"Nothing caught your eye yet Miss?" asked the elderly shopkeeper in a cockney accent. 

"No" Moonbyul said with a shake of her head. 

"Are you looking for something specific?" 

Moonbyul shrugged, just decorating my flat, seeing if anything looks interesting. "

"Well just let me know if you have any questions." the man said, leaving Moonbyul to her task. 

Eventually Moonbyul wandered over to a table with a sign, 'newly arrived.' 

She was about to turn away, when a small photograph in a gold frame caught her eye. It was a very old picture of a young women in a long white dress covered with lace. She was holding a bouquet with flowers and her hair was done up with a flower in it. It appeared to be a wedding or some kind of formal portrait. 

Moonbyul would have to put it down, if not for one thing. The women's face. It was the most beautiful she had ever seen. She looked somewhat Korean and had cheekbones, perfect lips and a set of dark eyes that caused her heart to beat like mad. 

Moonbyul found herself unable to look away from the women. Tough one thing bothered her about the photograph, the woman in the picture looked sad. Loneliness was the first word that ran trough the Goth's head. 

"Why do I think she's lonely." Moonbyul mused. 

In any case it bugged her that this beautiful creature was unhappy. Moonbyul who was openly lesbian since high school, couldn't remember ever seeing such a beautiful face. 

"Who are you?" murmured Moonbyul quietly. 

Thinking she opened the back of the frame so she could examine the back of the picture for a name. Moonbyul just had to know woman's name if anything. But luck was on her side, as written on the back in pencil was; 
Yongsun Solerea Kim Ferrer - July 1869

"Solerea?" Moonbyul said as she thought. 

"Spain is not far off, perhaps she's part Spanish."
The thought that this lady would have Spanish blood - but also looks Korean... It only deepened the mystery. Moonbyul put back of the frame in it's place, turned it around and smiled. 

"Hello Yongsun. Would you like to come home with me?" Moonbyul said to the picture. It was labeled 7 pounds. 

Moonbyul wasn't sure why, but she just had to have this picture. It was more than the fact that this woman was stunningly beautiful, it was much more. But Moonbyul just wasn't sure why. 

Picture in hand, Moonbyul walked to the cash register and put it down. 

"Found something I see." He said as he looked at the frame.

Moonbyul smiled "I think she needed a home. Do you know where this picture is from? I got from the table of new arrivals."

The man appeared to think for a moment and appeared to have remembered something. "Ah yes. Last week they tore down the mansion, on the old Nam estate, the house had been falling apart and was empty for ages. The land has been sold to a developer who's going to build a new Tesco supermarket. My nephew who was on the demolition team found this and a box full of old junk in the basement. Looked like no one had touched it in over a 100 years. The bankruptcy court had sold everything and wanted the rest disposed of, but he knew that I may make a few pounds with this stuff so he passed it to me. It was going to get thrown out otherwise. I'm glad you're giving this lady a good home. That will be seven pounds."

Moonbyul handed the man a 10 pound note, got her change and left with the picture in her hand. 

As she walked the 5 blocks to her flat, she felt a strange giddiness to get her new addition home. It was like she wanted to show Yongsun her new home. It was strange since since she's probably been dead for decades. In her small one bedroom flat, Moonbyul immediately thought of where to put Yongsun. Only one thing came to mind. Her very small bedroom. 

After a few moments of thinking, Moonbyul hung the picture of Yongsun on the wall next to the bed. Over the next few nights as she was laying in bed reading, as was her habit before going to bed, her attention would frequently move to the picture of Yongsun. 

Moonbyul would sit there and wonder who she was, what her voice sounded like. What color where her eyes. Actually Moonbyul was obsessed with that. Were they dark brown? Of course Moonbyul wondered, why was she so unhappy. Moonbyul found herself loving to look at the picture. She even moved it closer to the head of the bed so she could see it better. It had a str

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter