Happiness

B & R (Black&Red)

"Ohhh. You sure have a huge luck with women Yeonwoo, she's a beauty."

"Actually, it was me who was lucky sir. Yeonwoo is everything." Nancy steps in.

 

Yeonwoo smile at her remarks. Holycow, I won't mind saying cheesy things if I can see her smile everyday.

 

"I know, that's why she's my favorite."

 

"Aheemmm"

Nayun clears and now she have our attention. Now what? Tss.

I know it's not right to hate  people you just met, but if Yeonwoo doesn't like her then I don't like her too!

 

"Sir"
"Ooh congratulations on the engagement Nayun and Taeha."
"Thank you so much sir, we'll be expecting you at the wedding."
"Ofcourse, Taeha. I will be there." He smiled at the engaged couple.

"Anyways, I have to go. Goodluck on the investment. You two we're on fire in getting it." The man was referring to Yeonwoo and Nayun. Now what was the investment about?

 

"Thank you sir" we bow and then bid him goodbye.

 

"Investment huh, so you're also after it?" Nayun.

"Ofcourse honey, I told you that Yeonwoo will be starting a new business soon" there is no hint of mockery in Taeha's voice, instead she sound happy for Yeonwoo.

 

"Hah. Aren't you being too ambitious, Yeonwoo?"

 

Yeonwoo just glared at Nayun. Nancy wonders why Yeonwoo is accepting all this insults when she know the girl as a strong and independent woman who can save herself from anything. But the Yeonwoo right now is like a puppy being bullied and she don't like it.

 

"Someone like you have no place in the marketing industry, you should stay at that club giving orders and seducing rich men and women."

 

Yeonwoo closed her fist strongly. She don't really like getting involve in a conversation with them, because she know she will have to restraint herself. She's gritting her teeth when a soft hands made their way to her rough hands, hold her and entertwined their fingers. It was Nancy. Nancy has been giving her support tonight, it's like the girl know exactly was she's feeling. It's weird.


"Nayun!" Taeha called her out. "That was rude."
"Don't tell me you still love her?"
"What the heck! Im marrying you and you still think of that? For christ sake, Yeonwoo is our friend. Can you atleast cut her some slack?"
"Whatever. Anyways, I always win over her so I'm really not worried."
"Ugh! You're unbelievable. Im sorry Nancy, Yeonwoo" then she storm off.

 

"Taeha! I'll see you at the corner Yeonwoo, probably crying." She laughed and followed Taeha after leaving the two of them.

 

"Wow, that was so immature." Nancy utter those words like she can't believe that happened


"You tell me."
"Must be so frustrating at your part." Nancy look at Yeonwoo, she's back to her normal self. Stoic. She look so good smiling though. Yeonwoo just hum agreeing.

 

"Why didn't you told me about the investment?"
"I didn't want you to get involve" ofcourse, I am just a pretend girlfriend who needs to know her place. Tss.

 

"Why does it feels like you know everything?"
"I eavesdrop the day Taeha came to the apartment and you ask me to be your pretend girlfriend, I assume the rest."
Yeonwoo just nods.

 

"Why are you letting her belittle you, I'm questioning my respect for you now. Should I just go to Nayun instead and ask for her help?" Nancy humored but instead of laugh , she earned a deadly glare from Yeonwoo. Pain, fear, worry, angry, Nancy can't tell all the emotion there is in Yeonwoo's eyes. Her eyes always speak a lot of emotions, a job her lips failed to express.

 

"Don't you dare!"

Yeonwoo didn't like that.

 

"I'm sorry, I was just kidding. I'm so sorry. I will stay with you as long as you wanted me to stay. I promise you, I'm sorry."

Nancy was sincere, how can she forgot how sensitive her joke is. She don't know if her assumptions were precise, but what she know is that Taeha is her ex who was taken away by Nayun and she still can't accept it but also cannot do anything about it. Nayun must be so powerful.

 

"Tsk."
"Hey.." Nancy was poking her cheeks.
"I said I'm sorry"
"It's alright, just don't say things like that."
"Why? You're afraid you'll lose me?" And then there is the glare again.

 

"Fine. I'll stop.psh."
"Good"

 

"Ahemm.. goodevening everyone."

 

A voice on mic from the prepared stage called everyone's attention.

 

"Thank you for coming at the company's Annual Party. I hope you all we're enjoying the night." Everyone agrees.

"And as you all know that the company was deciding for an investment, so may I present you the candidates for that investment. They are the people trusted fully by the company."

 

"Here we have.... Ms. Nayun Kim. The leading entrepreneur of the country."

 

Everyone clapped at Nayun as she and Taeha walk to the stage smiling.

"And Ms. Yeonwoo Lee. She contributed alot in the success of the company, one of those people behind the continuing growth of the firm".

 

The company was like a home to Yeonwoo but she left since her break up with Taeha. Taeha was working their too and so she choose to let go of both. But she still helps specially when her boss was asking for suggestions, the company still acknowledges her well though.

 

She was nervous, so nervous. She don't care if the only people clapping for her was the one who knows her like her co-workers and the company's staff or even if she's getting a lot of distasteful glares. All she need is Nancy's hand holding her tightly while making their way to the stage. Just that and Yeonwoo feels a little at ease. Ofcourse, there was still alot heck of nervousness. Who is she compared to Nayun anyway.?

 

So this is why we have to look good, for we will be judged. Nancy thought. She was holding tightly Yeonwoo's trembling hand.

 

Nancy can feel how little and unpowerful Yeonwoo treat herself at the moment. So Nayun is the leading entrepreneur now? Psh. This must be so important for Yeonwoo that she have to go through all those insults and this judgements in the peoples eyes. Nancy take note of that.

"I know you all have someone in your mind right now, but trust me they both deserve it."

 

 Yeah right, obviously everyone's attention is in Nayun right now. This is why I hate the people in those big businesses, they think they can control everything. Nancy thought.

 

"Sadly, only one will be able to get it for now. The President wants the decision to be decided through a.... racing"

 

Everyone clap their hands and seems like enjoying the idea, except Nancy. What the heck is that? Is that how people in businesses decides now?

 

"As expected." Nancy turn her attention to Yeonwoo like the girl was already expecting this would happen. Well, everyone seems to be expecting something, is she the only one surprise?

 

"What's happening?"
"The president. He likes having fun". Nancy wonders why Yeonwoo is smiling now confidently, when she still can't take in what's happening.

 

 

Yeonwoo's confidence boosted. If there is one thing she's good at, well except from being unlucky, it was racing. She almost spend her youth on roads. From bicycles, bikes, big bikes to cars. Yeonwoo loves the adrenaline when she race. She and Taeha used to race alot. They spend most of their free time racing.

 

"But to put some twist in it, Ms. Taeha suggested that why not the girlfriends of the candidates do the racing and the candidates will ride with them backride. Since it seems like the candidates have someone special beside them. Sounds good?" The crowd cheered.

 

In an instant, Yeonwoo's world crumbled down upon hearing that. So that's why Taeha wants her to have a date at the party? Wow, she feel betrayed. Maybe Nayun was right, she don't have a place in this field.

 

Yeonwoo wants to cry. Her eyes were tearing but she's trying to fight it. Maybe it was the right time to put a stop on everything, maybe she is supposed to settle for less. Afterall, she don't really have anything worth being proud anymore.

 

Nancy was shocked, damn, she's shooked to the core. First it was the decision being decided through a race now she have to go racing? Okayy.. that was quiet unexpected.

 

She look at Yeonwoo for some explanation but what she saw broke her heart. Yeonwoo, fighting back her tears though it was so evident through the tears forming in her eyes, Nancy feels a pity towards the tall girl, gone was the confident Yeonwoo awhile ago and back was the Yeonwoo she never expected she is. Yeonwoo was so warm,soft,sensitive and kind behind that strong,independent and cold facade.

 

"They will race around the city through bigbikes. They will have to follow the gps and the finish line will be in the same place where they took off."

 

"Now everyone, please gather outside and let's start this race on. Yohooooo "

It's all over now. After failing to get her shot at an investment last time, Yeonwoo thinks sometimes it is tiring too. Maybe  it wasn't meant for her.

 

Am I too ambitious? A lone tear escape from her eyes. She quickly wipe it thinking no one saw it but she was wrong. Not far away from her, someone is watching her. Nancy was dying inside watching her new found reason fall apart infront of her.

 

She come close to her and hug her. Yeonwoo froze at the action from the shorter girl.

"I'll do it for you." 

This will be her first time driving again after that fateful night. I'm scared, but it will be okay. I can face my fears if it means helping you. Your happiness is mine too.