Little More

Remember Me
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Kikwang’s POV*

It’s been a few weeks now and Doojoon is still more intrigued with his work and is trying to keep me in the house. He’s trying to lock me up again, but I refuse to stay home alone while he’s not paying me any mind. Our relationship has been pretty strained lately, so my only relief is when I hang out with Keomi.

“Where is she?” I asked walking around. She wasn’t at the usual spot where we met up.

I walked towards the orphanage, thinking that she probably got held back there when I suddenly heard a dog whimpering, followed by sniffling.

I backed my tracks and peaked into the alley not too far from the orphanage. There was a dirty German Shepard trying to comfort a little girl, who sat in the corner.

My eyes widened, “Keomi?”

She was huddled in a corner, her face buried in her knees which were hugged by her small arms. “Keomi.” I walked up towards her only to be stopped by the German Shepard, who growled at me. I tried to reach out towards her but the dog barked threatening me. This was getting frustrating. Who was this dog anyway?

“Keomi. It’s me Kikwang. What’s wrong?” I spoke gently.

The dog growled even more intimidating, stalking towards me. “Lola, it’s okay. He’s a nice man.” Keomi sniffled. She was crying.

She reached out and pet the German Shepard’s fur and the dog backed down.

I sat down right next to her. “Keomi…” I said, but she didn’t respond.

“Keomi, can you please tell me what’s the matter?” I urged, really wanting to know, even if it wasn’t my business, she’s alone. She can’t possibly cope with everything she’s dealing with herself. She’s only 8.

The 8 year old remained silent.

I sighed nodding, “Okay. I’ll just sit here and wait until you’re ready to talk. But please don’t hold it in. It’s not healthy, you can really hurt yourself that way.” I said truly worried for her well-being. I reached out to gently pat her hair, but she suddenly tensed at the touch and began to tremble in her now stiff body.

“Keomi?” That’s when I noticed the fresh cuts and bruises on her arms and legs.

I was lost for words. How can this…who could…?

I looked back at the orphan. “Keomi, what happened?” my tone was now firm and serious.

Once more she still didn’t answer. I felt anger boil inside me.

“Come on. I’m taking you to the hospital.” I grabbed her arm and pulled her to her feet.

“I don’t want to go to the hospital.” She protested. “It doesn’t matter whether you want to go. You need to go.” My voice was stern mixed with anger. “I don’t need to go.” She said sharply.

“Fine. I’m going to take you back to the orphanage and show them what happened to you and then I’m going to report this to the police.” I said getting angrier at the situation.

“No!!” Keomi screamed, yanking out of my grip. The dog began to growl at me again.

I stood there stunned not expecting such reaction.

“Don’t you see? If you take me to the hospital or tell the police….they’ll just send me back to the orphanage.” Tears were streaming wildly down her cheeks. “Who do you think did this to me?” her voice cracked.

I ran my fingers through my hair in shock as realization hit me. “I hate it there!” She cried viciously.

I looked back at her with wide eyes. “Ms. Kim just stood there and watched as they hurt me.” Keomi sobbed, sinking back onto her knees.

I knelt down beside her. “The…kids did this to you?” I asked almost hesitantly. She nodded.

“I-I…didn’t even do anything wrong. I-I kn-know they don’t like me. B-But I was just st-standing up for a b-boy they kept picking on.” Keomi sobbed between her tears.

I rubbed her back gently in an attempt to comfort her. “You didn’t do anything wrong. You did the right thing.” I assured her.

She just sat there crying, rubbing her eyes with her tiny fist. “Let’s go to my place and get you cleaned up.” I said picking her up. “Wh-What a-about Lola?” She sniffled through her tears.

“The dog?” I questioned looking down at the canine who stared back at me. “Yeh. Her name is Lola.” She said.

“But…he’s a stray dog. He can have rabies.” I told her.

“I can’t leave him. He’s just like me. He has no family and nowhere to go.” She insisted.

I sighed, giving in, only because I know she wouldn’t come with me if I left the dog here like this. “Okay, fine. We’ll drop her off at an animal hospital where they’ll clean him up and all that good stuff.” Keomi nodded a tiny temporary smile on her face.

 

I kept my word and dropped Lola off at the nearest animal hospital before heading home. Keomi had stopped crying by the time we dropped Lola off, but she had remained silent the entire trip. I don’t know exactly what happened, but I have a gist of it, and I felt terrible for her. A kid shouldn’t go through something like this. She doesn’t have any support or anyone to go to. My heart sank just thinking about her situation. It’s just terrible.

 

“Wooow~. This is a ginormous house.” Were the first words that came out of when we arrived. She was in complete awe, her eyes wide and her jaw hanging. “This is…a mansion. Or-Or a really tiny castle.” She blinked a couple of times.

I took out my keys and unlocked the front doors and entered the home, closing the doors behind us.

Keomi rubbed both of her eyes not believing them at all. “Am I dreaming?”

I chuckled, glad that she was distracted for the moment.

“Kiki, are you a prince?!” She suddenly asked, looking at me with large questioning eyes. I laughed a little before answering.

“No~, I already told you that I live with 5 other people.”

“Oh~ yeah~. Those vampire people. But you never said that you lived in a mini castle.” She was still starstruck.

“Haha, sorry. I’m not really all that proud of it. It’s too big to me.” I said, walking further into the house. She peered over my shoulder, observing everything we passed. “Yeah…it seems like you can easily get lost.” She noted.

I went into the kitchen and sat her down on a stool by the bar. “Stay right here.” I ordered before dashing off to get the first aid kit.

When I returned, Keomi had her head hanging down again, messing with her fingers. She was back to her gloomy state.

I opened the kit and rest it on the counter. Then I immediately started on cleaning her cuts and bruises. I was about to bandage a cut when she suddenly stopped me. “Don’t…” She said quietly. “If I come back with Band-Aids on she’ll definitely find out.”

I sighed, nodding in understanding. “Well, it’s a tiny cut, so I guess it’s okay.” I said. “You should clean up at least. Come on.” I said.

Keomi slid off the stool and followed me to the bathroom. “Here is a towel and wash cloth. I’ll get you some clothes.” I said taking out the two toiletries out of the cabinet.

“Thank you.” Keomi said quietly. I smiled and left the bathroom, closing the door after me.

 

“Hhmm, what can she wear?” I rummaged through my closet and drawers in hopes to miraculously find something small enough to fit her…but I was out of luck.

I sighed finally picking out a black fitted shirt. “Maybe she can wear it as a dress?” I said without much confidence.

I slipped the shirt in the bathroom and sat on the couch waiting for her to finish up.

 

Minutes later I heard the bathroom door creak open. “I can’t wear this.” Keomi said walking into the family room. The shirt dragged a little on the floor. “I don’t even have any pants.”

“I thought it would fit as a dress.” I confessed.

She looked at me as if I were crazy.

“Hold on.” I quickly said. I ran back into my room and grabbed a stylish white belt.

“Here.” I said when I returned. “Try this.” I got down on my knees and buckled the belt around her waist.

“Tada~, that’s more stylish.” I tried. She just looked at me with a raised eyebrow, not convinced. “No? Fine be that way.” I said pulling out my phone.

“Yoboseo?” Yoseob answered when I called him on his phone. Keomi watched me carefully.

“Hey Yoseob. Where are you now?” I asked him. “I’m actually on my way home with Junhyung. Why? Do you need something?” He asked.

“Um, can you stop by the store real quick and pick up some little g

Please log in to read the full chapter