Ready or Not

Remember Me
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Jaehwan’s POV*

“Again.” Ravi said.

“Ravi~, we’ve been doing this for hours now. Can we do something…fun?” I asked, breathing heavily. “We’re in a gym after all. Let’s play basketball.” Hongbin agreed. “A game sounds nice.” Hakyeon perked up, down for the idea.

“Not now. You guys have to perfect his. Or else what are you going to do when you’re attacked?” Ravi said.

“Ravi, Ravi, Ravi…Can I call you Wonsik?” Hakyeon said slinging his arm over Ravi’s shoulders. Ravi gave him a strange look. “No.” He said sounding disgusted.

“Well, anyway, I know you care about our well-being, but we’re not going to perfect what you say in a week.” Hakyeon went on. “Not if you work hard.” Ravi said, peeling the elder’s arm off of him. “Yes, if you work hard you’ll get it sooner. But not in one week. Stuff like this takes years to master.” The incubus said knowingly.

Ravi gave him a suspicious look. “You talk as if you know.” He said. Hakyeon shrugged, “Because I do.”

“Tch, you seem more like the type to talk it out with a person over a tea party and then become best buddies.” Ravi scoffed.

“You already know me so well and we’ve only known each other for a few weeks.” Hakyeon said, a smile never leaving his lips.

The Hunter-in-training rolled his eyes. “Fine. Don’t believe me? Then let’s spar. If you win then we keep training. If I win we play basketball and then get ice cream afterwards.” Hakyeon suggested.

Ravi thought about it for a bit before slowly nodding. “You underestimate me.” Ravi said, taking off his hat. “Aren’t you doing the same thing by accepting my challenge?” Hakyeon countered, rolling up his short sleeves.

Last week Ravi demanded that we learn to fight so that we can “protect” ourselves from demons that may attack us or be able to at least hold them off until help came. We honestly didn’t really want to do it, since we weren’t against demons, but Ravi was so concerned about our safety that we eventually gave in. We didn’t feel comfortable training in the Hex facility so we decided to train at the public gym. So we’ve been doing this pretty much all week.

“Hongbin, tell us when to start.” Hakyeon said. The werewolf nodded. Ravi cracked his fingers and neck, preparing for the friendly fight, while Hakyeon fluffed his red hair.

“This will be interesting.” I stated. Hongbin nodded in agreement. “Ready~…Go!” Hongbin announced.

Ravi was the one to act first. He threw a quick left hook which Hakyeon easily ducked just in time. Ravi took the opportunity to kick at Hakyeon while he was bending down.

Hakyeon read this and back flipped, landing on his feet gently.

Ravi looked confused but continued to fight anyway.

He threw many swift attacks that would easily hit someone…else. Hakyeon dodged the human’s attacks with much ease, not even breaking a sweat.

 

“Hakyeon is very patient.” I said seeing as the fight has been going on for 10 minutes now. “Ravi is getting frustrated.” Hongbin added. An angry Ravi wasn’t a good Ravi, but he is one to get frustrated easily.

Hakyeon raised an eyebrow finding the perfect moment. He dropped down and spun kicked on the ground, tripping the younger human off his feet. Hakyeon stood back up and held his hand out to Ravi, to help him up. “Do you want to be on my team?” Hakyeon smiled, claiming his victory.

Ravi swatted away the elder’s hand in frustration and pushed himself up back on his feet. Hakyeon just pouted.

“Yay! We can play basketball!” I cheered happily.

Ravi looked at me.

“Wh-What?? I wasn’t going for anyone if that’s what you think. I’m just glad that we can play basketball.” I said innocently. The younger didn’t respond and just sighed. “Where’s Hyuk?” I asked.

“Oh, he’s at the High school right now with Himchan to get a transfer.” Hongbin answered. “Oh yay!” I clapped happily. Hongbin nodded a large grin on his face.

“Oh? He’s going to our school?” Ravi asked, overhearing our conversation. Hongbin nodded. “Cool.” The hunter said. “He’s been through a lot. So make sure you guys take care of him.” I said to the two younger teens.

“I’ll do my best, but he’s always clinging onto Hongbin.” Ravi teased. “He likes you better.” He said a sly smirk on his face. A light blush fell on Hongbin’s cheeks. “N-No, it’s probably because h-he’s scared of you. You don’t always come off friendly you know.” He defended. Ravi just kept his teasing smile.

Hakyeon and Hyuk were a great addition to our small group of friends.

Hakyeon is a really cool, caring, and funny kind of friend. He’s very affectionate too, maybe a little too affectionate. But we enjoy his company a lot, even though Ravi doesn’t seem to like him. They have strong and opposing opinions, especially when it comes to demons and humans. They’re two complete different people; however, Hakyeon seems to like hanging around Ravi. Ravi can’t seem to stand how carefree and open he is. Ravi is more on the conservative side.

Hyuk had moved in with Jongup, Himchan, and Hongbin, since he doesn’t have a place to stay that’s safe for someone his age.

Hyuk on the other hand is more shy and quiet, but when he feels comfortable he’s a chatterbox, he’s almost as talkative as Hakyeon. He seems to be most comfortable with Hongbin, but he seems to be afraid of Ravi, since his parents are pretty much master hex hunters. And Ravi isn’t the friendliest person in the world, until you get to know him.

“You should really fix that Wonnie.” Hakyeon said.

“Don’t call me that.” Ravi aid distastefully. “You should turn that frown upside down and smile more. You’ll be just like me.” Hakyeon flashed a bright smile.

“Why would I do that? Now I’m definitely not gonna do it.” Ravi scoffed.

Hakyeon took his fingers and upturned Ravi’s lips into a smile. “Awe~, look at that.” Hakyeon said.

“Y-Yah!” Ravi shouted pushing the elder away. “Don’t touch me!” Ravi spat, wiping his mouth. Hongbin and I busted out laughing.

“H-Hi guys I’m-I’m here. Sorry I’m late.” Hyuk ran up to us.

“Hi Hyukkie~!” Hakyeon cheered, hugging the young hybrid tightly. Hyuk smiled awkwardly. “Hi N.”

Hongbin didn’t seem too pleased about Hakyeon hugging Hyuk so closely, but he didn’t say anything because that was just Hakyeon’s personality. Matter of fact Hongbin doesn’t really like it when anybody hugs Hyuk. “Hhmm~,” I studied the werewolf closely, rubbing my chin.

Hongbin noticed this, “What?” he asked. “Hm? Oh, nothing.” I played off.

“What did I miss?” Hyuk asked once Hakyeon finally released him. “Just training, and N kicking Ravi’s .” I answered.

“Oh, I guess I missed the hardest part then?” Hyuk said, trying hard not to smile, but failed miserably.

“Haha yeah. We’re about to play basketball now and then get some ice cream afterwards.” I said. “Oh yay! Ice cream.” Hyuk smiled softly. I couldn’t help but smile at him, he’s a cute soft-spoken little guy.

“Okay! Let’s choose teams.” Hakyeon said, bouncing a basketball that he got from who knows where. “It’s uneven. Should we do 3 against 2 or have subs?” I asked.

“Oh, I’m not very good at basketball. I’ll just watch.” Hyuk said. “Awe~, are you sure?” Hakyeon asked. “Yeah, I’m positive. I don’t mind watching.” Hyuk smiled, “I’ll be in the bleachers.” He said walking off towards the seats.

Hongbin watched as Hyuk walked away until he was seated. Hyuk waved at him as if to assure him that he was okay. Hongbin smiled warmly before turning back to us.

Hakyeon and I looked at each other after witnessing the same thing. “Hmmmmmmmm~,” We hummed in unison, thinking the same thing. “Are you two a team?” Ravi asked, interrupting us.

I looked back at Hakyeon who just shrugged. “Yeah sure.” I said. “Alright, then it’s Hongbin and I. We’ll go first since we’re the younger ones.” Ravi said. “Naw. We’ll go first. We’re older, and I have the ball. Let’s go!” Hakyeon said, immediately starting the game.

 

 

The game was actually way more fun than I thought it would be. We spent an hour playing 5 games. They were pretty intense but funny at the same time. Even Ravi was laughing and playing around a little with Hakyeon.

“Yeah!!” Hakyeon and I hi-fived each other after winning the last game. “We won~! We’re the champs~! Oh yeah~!” The two of us sang and dance.

“What? You guys aren’t the champs. We’re the ones that won 3 games, you two only won 2.” Ravi said. Hongbin wiped his sweat off with his shirt. “Yeah, yeah, yeah, but it’s the last game that counts.” Hakyeon said. Ravi just scoffed, “We still won. You guys can think what you want.” He said.

“Oh! I’m so tired, I can barely feel my feet.” I said sitting down beside Hyuk. “You’re not in shape.” Hongbin teased, poking my stomach. “Yah, Yah! Not all of us can be Jongup’s prodigy.” I remarked. Hyuk chuckled in agreement.

“You guys ready to get ice cream? It’s on me, my treat.” Hakyeon said, he and Ravi walking up to us. “Yea. Let’s go.” I said standing back up, as well as Hyuk. The five of us left the gym and walked together to the ice cream shop.

I walked up next to Hakyeon, having a question that’s been on my mind for a while now. “Um…N…” I said quiet enough for only him to hear. “Yeah?” He responded. “This is kind of embarrassing to ask, when I should actually know the answer since I’ve been living with him for pretty much a century now.” I said.

The eldest member raised an eyebrow. “Are you talking about Tae-erm…Leo?” He asked.

I nodded.

“Ah~, well he is kind of a mysterious person, so it’s okay if you don’t know things about him that you feel you should know.” he assured me.

“But I really feel like I should already know this. It’s pretty much just as important as knowing his name.” I said. The incubus scrunched his brow. “What’s your question?” he asked with much curiosity. “What…What is he?” I finally asked.

Hakyeon’s eyes slightly widened, looking more confused than shocked. “He didn’t tell you?”

“No. I’ve asked him before, many times, but we either get interrupted or he says it doesn’t matter.” I explained.

“Hm, that’s strange. Maybe he doesn’t want to scare you, or creep you out.” He said.

“How? Why? I mean we live in a world filled with different creatures.” I said. “Well, I don’t go around telling people what I am, unless they ask, because regular humans find me more creepier and scarier than compared to a werewolf or vampire.” Hakyeon said, using himself as an example.

“I guess you’re right. I would have never guessed that you were an in-…um what you are. You’re not y at all.” I said being careful not to expose what he was, just in case Ravi overheard.

Hakyeon just laughed. “Those are just stereotypes…that are proven to be true, but everyone is different.”

“I just don’t understand why he won’t tell me. I understand demons and he knows that. So, I’m pretty sure whatever he is won’t be anything new to me.” I sighed.

“Sometimes I don’t understand Leo. Actually, I don’t understand him a lot. Like he absolutely hates my hugs but I know he likes them.” I chuckled lightly.

“I can’t tell you what he is. It’s something he has to do. He most likely has a reason for not telling you. But he will come around, eventually.” Hakyeon promised with a reassuring smile. “Thanks N.” I smiled back at him. “No problem.” He said ruffling my hair.

Minutes later we finally arrived at the ice cream shop. Luckily there wasn’t a line, so we were able to order our ice cream immediately.

“Haha look, you guys got the same flavor.” I pointed out to Ravi and Hakyeon. Hongbin laughed, noticing it as well. “Looks like you guys actually have something in common.” He said.

“N-No, French vanilla is my favorite ice cream. He…he copied me on purpose.” Ravi quickly said.

Hakyeon furrowed his brow. “What are you talking about? French Vanilla is my favorite, that’s why I got it. Plus I ordered before you.” He said. “Yeah~, and since when was French vanilla your favorite? I thought it was strawberry.” Hongbin added.

“…since today…” Ravi said quietly.

Hongbin and I busted out into laughter, laughing at the hunter for a second time. “Yah! It’s not what you think. It’s the first time I had it…so I liked it. Is that so wrong?” Ravi defended. Hakyeon stared at him with a wide smile, slowly his ice cream with great exaggeration. Ravi’s face turned bright red. “What are you looking at?” He tried to sound threatening but failed. “Mmm, nothing.” Hakyeon hummed.

 

We stayed at the ice cream shop for a half hour more until Sir Ravi announced that it was time for us to go home. “But it’s only 4pm.” Hakyeon said. “And it’s a Saturday.” Hongbin added.

“Just please go straight home before five.” Ravi said. Wary was prominent in his eyes. “My parents told me to be home before 4 o’ clock because something is supposed to happen and they don’t know what the outcome may be. So I’m telling you guys to do the same because I don’t want anything to happen to you guys.” He explained, knowing that we wouldn’t listen without a full explanation.

We each gave each other worried glances at the mentioning of his parents. Were the hex hunters up to something?

“What’s…going to happen?” Hyuk asked almost hesitantly.

“I don’t know.” Ravi sighed. “But don’t go out alone either or at all tonight. Just from the s

Please log in to read the full chapter