Triumphant

Remember Me
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Youngjae’s POV*

Jun K had us stop by a store to buy some new clothes and help our identity before officially setting off to Chantelle’s aunt’s home.

The entire time I was worried. I kept glancing back over my shoulder in fear. Chantelle and her group were to be the last ones to leave. I was worried that they might get caught by the police. Plus, they’re all so young.

I was confident that Chantelle would easily protect them, but I didn’t like the idea of being separated from Jaehwan especially at a time like this. Jongup was gone. Yongguk is dying. What if…what if…

I unconsciously shut my eyes and bit my bottom lip, not wanting to think about it.

“Youngjae?” A warm voice called my name.

I slowly opened my eyes to see him walking besides me, a worried look on his face. “Is everything okay? Sooyoung…didn’t do anything to you either right?” I could see the fear in his eyes. I shook my head at this. He relaxed in relief. “…but I am afraid…” I confessed.

The two of us lagged behind the four members in our group. “Everything is happening so fast. First Jongup…now Bang…what if she-,” I didn’t dare say it. My fear was too strong to even imagine it.

Daehyun got the idea and slid his hand into mine, interlocking our fingers. “She’s after all of us, but it seems like she’s going after BAP first…” his teeth gritted as he spoke, sounding as if the thought physically pained him.

“Youngjae…I’m sorry…” he suddenly apologized, his expression suddenly turning into sadness. “There’s nothing right now…that I can say that will comfort you, because…I’m hurt as well.” He confessed.

I gave him a soft smile. “Don’t be sorry. It’s okay, it’s tough.” I felt bad. How selfish was I to come out being all afraid again! And not even consider how he was feeling. Of course! All of us are afraid.

By me saying so is just adding a burden on him.

It’s my turn to comfort him. He’s always there for me when I’m feeling uncomfortable, now I have to do that for a change.

“We’ve been through hard times before and we’ve always pulled through in the end. But now this is another level…uh, erm…like those video games you and Jaehwan and Zelo play. You know when you reach a hard level and you fail several times until you beat it?” I said. It felt weird comparing the situation to a video game.

Daehyun let out a small smile at this, making him look like an adorable kid. “So, right now these are just bigger obstacles that can be fixed. Like right now, we’re going to Chantelle’s Aunt who can help Bang, and Jongup, I’m sure we’ll find him. And…” my voice trialed as I looked at him.

“…if anything happens to us, then that can be fixed too.” I said after mustering up some confidence.

“But just know, no matter what happens I’ll always love you. No matter what. So always remember that and don’t give up if something bad happens.” I told him, “…because…I’ll do the same.”

He looked away from me, smiling uncontrollably to himself as he swung our arms back and forth. “I don’t know what I’d do without you Youngjae.” He finally said.

“Don’t say such things.” I told him.

“I can just look at you and feel better, like everything is going to be okay.” He wore a gentle smile as he spoke. I blushed lightly, not expecting that response. “That’s why I’m going to do anything to protect you.” He said. Although he said this with a smile I could tell that he was serious.

“Daehyun.” I protested. “Don’t make me a burden. I can hold my own, don’t forget about yourself.” I said, not wanting him to think that way.

“Youngjae, you’re the only person I care the most about. I will never forgive myself if I lose you.” He said.

“Well what about me? How do you think I’d feel if I lost you?” I retorted, feeling slightly upset.

“Youngjae…you also have a younger brother to take care of, so absolutely nothing can happen to you.”

I went silent. I’m the only family Jaehwan has. I can’t leave him alone.

“Awe~, Youngjae, don’t frown.” Daehyun said, pinching my cheeks. I pushed his hand away. “Daehyun, why do you do this to me?” I sighed.

“Do what?” he asked innocently.

I just shook my head, “Forget it. I don’t want to talk about it anymore. Come on. We’re losing the others.” I ran off, taking the elder with me. There was no convincing him out of it. All I could do was leave it at that and do my own thing to make sure he and Jaehwan are okay.

 

After walking for another hour we stopped by a park and sat at a picnic table under a tree to rest up a little bit. “Okay…I have a plan.” Jun K said. We all gave him our attention.

“We’ll walk for a little bit longer…” he began.

Yoseob whimpered at this, interrupting the hybrid.

“Is everything okay?” Jun K asked a bit confused.

“Yeah, but I’m tired of walking. My feet are killing me.” The vampire squeaked.

“Do you want me to give you a piggyback ride then?” Junhyung asked, forcing Yoseob to blush. “A-Aniyaa~!” he hit the elder’s arm in embarrassment. “I didn’t say I couldn’t walk.” Yoseob murmured under his breath in embarrassment.

I chuckled quietly, Yoseob and Junhyung were a cute couple.

“Anyway…” Jun K continued, “We’ll walk a little further and take two bus rides out of the city. Once we leave the city we can stay the night at a hotel.”

“Wouldn’t that put us behind?” Junhyung interrupted.

“No not really. Because we’ll take the first train to Inch’on, and we should get to Chantelle’s aunt’s home a little before sunset.” Jun K finally finished.

Himchan nodded, remaining silent as he did. My heart went out to him. I’m still hurt by the fact that Jongup was taken away and he’s only a close friend of mine. I can only imagine what Himchan is going through.

“Great! Should we get going then?” Daehyun was the first to jump out of his seat.

“Now?” Yoseob asked, his eyes wide.

Jun K just smiled, “I guess we can rest another 15 minutes for the Princess.” He said.

Yoseob’s face turned red at this as he jumped to his feet. “I’m not a princess! Fine. Let’s go…I can handle it.” The younger was flustered. Junhyung only chuckled.

“No, no…it’s okay. My feet are a little sore as well. We can rest.” Jun K said, waving the vampire to sit down.

Yoseob sat back down with a huff, his arms folded, “I’m not a princess.” He grumbled.

 

*Jaehwan’s POV*

We walked through the city for hours. My feet began to ache. “Can’t you just teleport us there since you know where it is?” Ravi asked, also getting weary. The only people who remained energized were Hakyeon and Chantelle. Taekwoon didn’t show any signs of weariness either.

“Nope. We can’t enter my Aunt’s house through magic. The only way to get in is if she allows you in. And plus it will be hard to teleport without getting caught.” Chantelle explained.

I was nervous. I really hoped that Youngjae will be okay. He should be fine. It’s only three days or less, and he’s with Daehyun, and I know Daehyun will keep him safe.

I looked up at the bright sky, smiling a little. “Don’t worry about me Youngjae. I’ll be fine.” I said, knowing that he’d be worrying about me. “Besides I have…” I stopped, my eyes landing on Taekwoon.

He was right in front of me, scanning the area. He was really focused on the war situation. And nothing is wrong with that…I should be doing the same thing. But I just can’t help feel distant from him. It made me sad. Does he still see me as that 10-year-old kid he has to babysit and keep secrets from?

I unconsciously let out a loud sigh. Now isn’t the time to think about such things.

My sigh caught Taekwoon’s attention, causing him to look back at me. He seemed to have wanted to say something, but backed out of the idea.

“Shall we stop to eat?” Chantelle gleamed.

We all gave her a strange look at the sudden cheerful suggestion. “Sounds like a great idea!” Hakyeon cheered.

“Will that be okay?” Hyuk asked uneasily.

“Just trust me.” Chantelle winked, leading the way.

 

We stopped by the closest restaurant and ordered ourselves a couple slices of pizza.

“Oooh! I haven’t had pizza in such a long time.” Hakyeon cheered, immediately digging it.

“It does smell really good.” Hyuk agreed, unconsciously drooling.

Hongbin chuckled at the younger, handing him a napkin. Hyuk blushed in embarrassment as he gave a week ‘thank you.’

“Eat up. It’s on me.” Chantelle said, grabbing her own slice of pizza.

Ravi, however, just watched us. Ever since he decided to help and join us, he’s been very quiet. Which I guess I can understand. It would be awkward to work with a bunch of demons when your entire life you’ve been taught to hate and kill them.

“Come one hunter boy. Eat up. Who knows when your next proper meal will be?” Chantelle teased, elbowing the younger.

The human flinched, scooting away from her, only to bump into Hakyeon, whom was happily enjoying his food. Chantelle playfully pouted, “Am I really that scary?”

“Actually, you were terrifying at first, but you seem pretty cool.” Hyuk answered.

We all looked at him, not expecting the honest response. “Um…Hyuk, I think that was a rhetorical question.” Hongbin said.

“…oh…” the maknae awkwardly returned to his eating.

I just smiled, glad that Hyuk was beginning to warm up to everyone…well at least to us.

“Hey, what’s that?” Hakyeon suddenly said, looking at the TV. We all did the same.

“Breaking News! A single village of werewolves was completely destroyed by a hex unit team lead by Mr. and Mrs. Kim.” The screen then flashed the scene of the invasion.

I froze seeing the poor innocent villagers run away in fear. Parents were killed right in front of their children. Mates were dragged helplessly from each other. And the Kims were shown, slicing the throat of the Alpha. The female reporter then re the screen. “Looks like the heathens will be exterminated soon, as more and more people join the fight with the Hex hunters to eliminate the world of this evil.

The six of us turned away from the TV screen, not wanting to hear any more of it. Chantelle, however, continued to listen with curiosity.

We could hear people at the other tables cheer with excitement.

“Those were…Ravi’s parents…right?” Hongbin said quietly, breaking the silence between us.

Our eyes turned to Ravi who was looking out the window. “Do you guys…trust me?” He finally asked, still not bothering to look at us due to shame.

“Of-Of course we do. You’re our friend and you said you’ll help us. Just because your parents do something else, doesn’t mean you’re like them.” I said. Ravi looked at me in shock.

“Yeah. I know I don’t know you very well, but you seem like a loyal friend who’d always keep his word.” Hyuk added shyly. “exactly.” Hakyeon hung his arm over Ravi’s shoulders, squeezing him. “My Ravi wouldn’t do anything to hurt his friends.” He said.

Ravi’s ears grew red. “I’m-I’m not yours!” he said with embarrassment trying to push the incubus away, but Hakyeon refused to let go.

I looked over at Hongbin, who didn’t say anything, which was strange. I hadn’t expected Chantelle or Taekwoon to say anything because they obviously don’t know him. But Hongbin, he and I have known Ravi most of his life. Unless he doesn’t…

I quickly shook the thought out of my head. Maybe he’s still in shock. I shouldn’t make any conclusions…a lot is already going on.

Chantelle finally turned away from the TV and continued to casually eat her pizza. “Looks like they’ve finally got bold enough to take down a demon village.” She said. We all went silent, listening to her carefully.

“But they have no idea what they’ve started.” She chuckled, sipping her soda.

“What do you mean?” Hongbin asked for the rest of us.

“Do you really think that demons are just going to sit and watch? The vampires are possibly going to team up with the werewolves. And they will kill anyone in their way…no matter who they are.” Chantelle said.

I thought about the night the vampires attacked BAP’s mansion.

“We have to stop them too…or else they will fulfill the overall plan blindly.” Taekwoon said.

Chantelle nodded. “That makes our job a lot harder. Now we have the hex and vampires after us.”

“Vampires too?!” Hyuk was surprised, “but why??”

“They’ll notice that the leaders of Beast and BAP haven’t showed up, so they’ll think of them as traitors and will go after those clans if spotted.” She explained.

“What about you? Aren’t you a vampire too?” I asked.

The elder shrugged, “I’m a hybrid. The vampire community is stricter than it looks. They despise hybrids, so they don’t like me coming to their conferences. Even though I go every now and then anyway. But they probably want me to come now, since all of this is happening. So I may be on their hit list! Oh! How exciting!” Chantelle clapped, “Hopefully they’ll be a challenge.”

Hyuk suddenly sighed, “I feel useless.”

Chantelle raised an eyebrow at this. “I don’t know how to do anything. I can’t fight. I can barely shoot a gun. Neither am I smart enough to create plans and stuff like that. I feel like a burden.” He confessed.

“Me too. Everyone is so experienced, and we’re going against dangerous people…we’ll only get hurt.” Hongbin added. I couldn’t help but nod in agreement. Even though I try to help out I still feel too inexperienced to be able to do much.

Apparently this was amusing to Chantelle as she laughed and laughed for at least a good two to three minutes before she spoke, “You guys are very useful.”

“Who cares about how experienced you are? You guys are young, so you have an advantage.” She winked.

We gav

Please log in to read the full chapter