Letter 5

To The Man I Love

To Mr Xu Minghao

I had a shift at the café today. I had to rush after school because one of my colleagues could not make it and I was a little upset for you see, usually I would see you when I left.

Usually, I had time to watch your last interactions of the day before we went our separate ways.

I would be able to try and convince myself that one day, that would be me approaching you with all the confidence in the world.

Unfortunately, I missed that chance today.

The café was quiet and bubbly and warm as always- an atmosphere I had slowly come to love from all the times I worker there- and as per usual, I was expected to keep a constant smile.

I didn't mind. It was a little difficult a lot of the time of course.

Many of the customers are often problematic, claiming they did not order what I have given them when I have the proof that that was indeed what they have ordered, or requesting something free because I was working poorly.

Often, I had my coworkers fending for me- my manager as well- because they knew me better than the customers.

Sometimes work can be a bore, though. When its just me and new workers training out. I never interacted with them.

Sometimes it can be annoying too, mainly due to the customers we had.

Today, work was worth it.

Today, I lifted my head after hearing the bell, ready to greet with my most brightest smile and most cheerful tone.

When I lifted my head, I seemed to freeeze.

I saw the most beautiful and handsome human being I have set my eyes upon, approaching the counter.

You walked in with such confidence and I almost greeted you casually instead of brightly like the way I used to.

Almost.

As I was about to, I noticed it.

I noticed that you weren't alone. You walked with the person that was always around you as of late. The person I still refused to learn the name of simply because he was lucky to be around you.

My eyes analyzed you both as quickly as it possibly could and if I wasn't frozen enough, my entire being stiffened when I saw the way your hands were enclosed within one another's.

But then, you were the next customer - we were practically empty so I didnt really understand why you guys had taken so long to get from the door to the counter- and before I could even utter a greeting, you were smiling.

Those were your first words to me since back then.

It may have been a simple "hello" but it warmed me up from the inside out.

I missed your voice.

I didn't really realize how much until you spoke.

Your eyes, I noticed were as soft as your features.

"Good day and how may I be of service?" I remember asking through my flustered self.

You smiled and gave me your order and for a moment, I was naive.

For a moment, I believed that something was happening between us. That you and I- this wouldn't be our last encounter.

For a moment, I believed this was our bridge back to normality. Even if things weren't normal back then.

Of course, the moment was shattered.

You turned to your friend- Junhui, as you called him- and he gave his order as well.

It took me a while to snap out of my daze and till it up for you.

When you handed me the money, you told me to keep the change.

I thought you were pitying me for a moment. Nobody tips people that much, Xu Minghao.

But there was a genuineness to your tone and to your aura that I couldn't help but thank you.

Written to you
With Love,
Lee Jihoon.