22: Minghao

To The Man I Love

Minghao P.O.V

I was sitting on the bench right in front of the school when the three of them drove past on their bikes.

I had wondered where they disappeared to; they were all absent today which was unusual.

Unlike Seungcheol and Jeonghan who pulled their brakes, Chan swung his leg over and jumped off, his bicycle skidding across the tar and stopping just before it hit a car.

My eyes were probably a little wide.

Chan was in front of me before I could process anything, gripping the material of my sweater tightly as he shook me, tears falling from his eyes.

My eyes only grew wider.

Never in all my life of knowing Chan, had I ever seen him cry.

It was a sight that broke you more than it broke the person crying.

He was taking deep breaths but each time he got close enough to being able to speak, a sob would break through.

Before I knew it, my arms were around him and I was hugging him.

But he wouldn't let me.

He shoved me off and threw something at me before he stormed off- straight into Seungcheol and Jeonghan's arms, the two leading him away while I lowered my gaze to the envelope in my lap.

It reminded me of him.

And as I opened it and pulled out twenty neatly folded pages, I understood why.

* * *

"Myungho-ssi! Myungho-ssi, are you here?" His voice called my name like a broken record.

My fingers twitched as I wanted to go and see him but I couldn't.

They had removed my cast and I was to recover here at the hospital, but father moved me to another room.

I couldn't understand why.

I was in the room right next door and his calls broke me.

"Myungho-ssi...will come... Right Eomma?"

"I'm sure he will," his mother says to him and I have to bite my lip and shut my eyes.

* * *

"Myungho! Myungho, you came!" He yelled excitedly as I came over and greeted him.

I climbed onto the bed and hugged him as tight as I could.

He was confused, but he still returned the hug, a small grin forming as he did so.

I whispered into his ear, "I'll come back, so don't you ever die on me okay?"

He didn't get any time to respond when my father called for me.

I released the hug and jumped off the bed before making my way over, flinching when my father said loudly - I'm sure he was hoping you would hear, "Don't ever play with that boy again, understood? You'll become sick like him."

I knew my father.

He wanted you to hear this. He knew I couldn't say no to him.

"Yes, pappi."

And we left.

Like I told you, however, I came to see you. My mom finally got back home and I'd convinced her to drop me off.

But when I reached your room...

You were gone, Lee Jihoon. 

There was no trace of you.

It was like growing up. It was like a child's world being shattered when they encounter reality for the first time.

My child-brain kept telling me you were dead and I cried for hours on end.

But I moved on. I had no choice.

And four years later, stepping onto high school ground, there you were.

Older.

And more beautiful than ever.

"I'm sorry, J... JiJi."