SEVENTEEN

EGOISM

Drenched in sweats, she hurriedly make her way to the kitchen and grab a bottle of cold water to tone down her heated body. Rae In just got back from her morning jogs, which already became the daily routine. She can say that this fitness activity really help to maintain her fit body and it actually very good for her health. 

 

She always a big fan of nature and having to breath in this fresh air on this morning really made her day better, especially thinking that it will be a good start for her one week break from work. These few weeks has been the worst that she ever felt in her career. Having a conflict with her husband and then suddenly with her own best friend admitted for critical accident, she definitely deserved some rest.

 

“Ahjumma, did Sehun wake up already?” She asked her maid. 

 

“Sir Sehun said that he didn’t go to work today, he told me that he’s not feeling well” A woman in her mid 50s replied to her employer question.

 

It just tug at her heartstrings like crazy when she heard that her husband is sick. When she went upstairs to their bedroom, she saw her husband helplessly laying on the bed, curling himself and shivering. Being a doctor didn’t help her but to quickly check on his pulse and temperature, making sure that nothing serious happened to him. After all she didn’t wish for another closest circle in her life admitting as her patient.

 

Still worried on her husband condition, she took her medical box that she owns and sat on the bedside. As a medical doctor it was normal for her to carry it everywhere. She took out the LED ear temperature checker and hold it slightly into his ear, sigh as soon as she saw the results. He indeed having a fever, 38 degree celsius to be exact. But relived that it wasn’t that too bad. 

 

It was understandable how he got the fever. Having a stress week over everything that has happened, with the addition of his works load and lack of sleep nights, it is normal that his body couldn’t cope with it anymore. She glad that she decided to take some days off this week, at least she could take care of her sick husband and being his personal doctor. 

 

With a decent amount of sleep and a good rest, she guaranteed that Sehun can generally shake the fever in just 24 to 48 hours. He will be just fine, but he is acting like he just diagnosed with some sort of chronic disease. 

 

“Babe, are you okay?” She chuckles at her husband behavior. 

 

He hug the pillow on the bed, looking at her with a frown on his face, “I’m sick baby.......I need a hug” 

 

Rae In swear that she couldn’t take his aegyo anymore, he’s just so cute that she would melting again and again. She quickly come to give him a hug. “As your personal doctor, I will prescribe you with with a lot of hugs....but only if you promise to take your medicine first”

 

“But these pills is not even yummy” He pouted. “I need you to prescribe me with some kisses too. And a lot of your attention”

 

She didn’t exaggerated when she said that her super macho husband has turned into a 7 years old boy. He did it every time he sick and after so many years being together, Rae In couldn’t be lied anymore. He hate to take any medicine and always come out with excuses. But too bad she knew all his tricks. 

 

In her experiences as a doctor, guys are reluctant to take medicine and everyone knows that in general, they can't handle pain or sickness the same way like women do. While we mostly, experienced with the pain of period cramp and the pain when giving birth, men don’t usually feel the exact feeling. That’s why they would whining and over-exaggerating their pain even though it just a plain fever. 

 

When everyone in their circle like to assume that Sehun has that cold guy heartless aura, he actually totally opposite from that when he sick. He loves to whines most of the time. Like he will just roll on the bed, writhing in agony and calling out for his wife help even for small matter. He could be really annoying sometimes but Rae In shake it off considering his condition. She would just probably kill him if he still did it when he just got better. 

 

Not to mention that he actually revert to a child like state. Yeah, he just act like giant baby who need someone to feed him foods. “Feed me please? Pretty please?” He pleads to his wife. 

 

Of course Rae In would gladly did that for him. She love her husband and surely didn’t mind to the the little favors. She actually make an effort by calling her mother in law for a chicken soup recipe, which actually his favorite foods every time he fall sick. With full of loves and dedication she finally succeed in making it. She just couldn’t hide the proudness when Sehun praised her for that. 

 

Her face will not get a smile till she get to know Sehun are feeling better. That’s why she trying so many things to make her beloved husband to be healthy again. Even though she pretty pleased with the clingy and overly attached Sehun, she have to said that she actually missed her caring and talkative husband that will ask her about her day. She just want to hold him, hug him, kiss him and pamper her husband until he feel better.

 

“What if you catch a fever when I kiss you?” It suddenly popped up in his mind. Surely he didn’t want his wife to be sick as well. 

 

“A kiss won’t cost a virus to be spread. I’m a doctor, of course I would know that” She stated a fact knowing that Sehun will beat her speech. “But if I fall sick, I will gladly to be babied by you” 

 

“But I’m not a doctor” He pecks her on her lips. 

 

She chuckles and pinched his both cheeks. “Yes but you are my husband. That should be enough babe” 

 

“Awwww my cutie” If being this sick could buy his wife time to this cute and lovely, he wouldn’t mind to get sick again.

 

Sehun wouldn’t trade his wife for anything else in this world. He feel like the luckiest man on earth for having a wife like her. She never complained even once. Despite his ridiculous tantrums when he sick. She still keep a smile on her face, he knew that she actually just want to boost he spirits when he's under the weather.

 

Imagine how good a massage feels when we are in perfect health, then multiply that by a trillion when we are all weak and tired and unable to move a muscle. If he could describe how heaven feels like, it would be  like this. Even he surprised that Rae In can give a good massage like that. The way she scrub a eucalyptus scented oil softly, it really help him to breathe better. At the end of the massage, he'll be convinced his wife have hands made of magic.

 

He admit that he need everything to be done for him. He desperately looking for sympathy. The fever might have tone down a bit, but he still need her to look him in the eyes, hold his hands, and tell him that he will not going to die. 

 

He wanted her to entertain him, so she did. 

 

When her husband is stuck in bed for a hours, he got bored quickly. So she surprise him with a batch of movies that he's been wanting to see. Even though it just a cartoon series. It doesn’t matter on what movies they should watch but the best moments come when they are together. She used the time wisely to curl up next to him and watch the movie together to keep him company.

 

Cuddles, he always love that. 

 

“Rae In...” He called her softly. His left hand already became a pillow for Rae In, while his other hand tighten his grip on her waist. “I love you, you know that?”

 

“I love you more Sehun” Didn’t know what getting her that night but out of sudden she felt very emotional. “Please don’t leave me again. I just can’t live without you”

 

His gaze are soften, into her hair with his forehead resting on her. “I broke my promise. I told you that I will never leave you but then..........” 

 

“We both at fault, Sehun” She stopped his words. “The ego in ourselves. It only harm our relationship” Her eyes clearly shown that she was genuinely admit her mistakes. 

 

“You might don’t aware about this but you help me regain that part of me that I lost when I experienced one of the toughest challenges of my life, which is being apart with you. It drive me crazy I swear” He paused. Recalled the moments that they didn’t see each other for almost 2 weeks because of the misunderstanding. 

 

He then added, “But then you didn’t leave my side while I tried to push you away. You helped me see that there’s a bright future waiting for us, and you made realize that there’s still a way to solve everything in this world. Thank you for never giving up on me, and thank you for loving me the way that you do” 

 

Rae In has sheds the tears that forming on his eyes. This is not the first time that she saw how vulnerable her husband is. It only make her feel bad. “We have come this far Sehun, I wouldn’t give up on us” 

 

“Me too baby, I won’t give up on you”

 


 

On the next day, he surprised her with a date that she never thought that they will have. She dressed gracefully in her knee length floral short sleeve dress, a cute yellow flat shoes that she just bought last month pair up with small Gucci sling bag. Simple yet minimalist, Rae In didn’t even need to put on so much makeup. As she already look pretty with her natural beauty. 

 

She just thought that it was amazing that Sehun could remember almost every details that she told him before, like how she like to go to the museum. Even it didn’t sound really romantic as what other marriage couple would do for their date, Rae In are more than grateful. Her husband just put a little bit more effort on bringing her to her favorite place. What could be more exciting than that? 

 

He let go his hold on her hand for awhile, to let her go and roaming around the entrance of the museum. Sehun slightly chuckles looking at her jumping around with so much excitement on her faces. He knew that he just made a perfect choice when choosing this place. 

 

“I could see that you are excited, don’t you?” He asked Rae In. 

 

She nodded with a smile plastered on her tiny face. “I’m so happy Sehun! Shall we go inside now?” 

 

In a minute she had lost herself drawn by all the attractions in the museum. Not even a single artifact that has been left not to be looked by her. Every single details like where it comes from, how long has it been on the museum or even the history of it are acknowledged by her. She observed with full of admiration. Unlike Sehun who mostly distract himself with secretly staring at his wife. 

 

Sometimes the silent also sparks a conversation like she suddenly stopping in front of a piece of artwork and asking him, “What do you think about this?”

 

“This paint you means?” Sehun then shift his attention to the painting that she pointed at. He started to scratch back of his head.

 

It was actually a paint of two toddlers playing under a umbrella, made by a famous local painter. He looks into that for quite sometime, trying to connect every single cell in his brain to come out with the most impressive answer as to amaze his wife. While he pressure his brain to work at his best, Rae In on his side already laughing looking at him. 

 

“You don’t have to be that serious Sehun“ She beat him before he able to speak. “I also don’t know about this. But is it pretty?” 

 

“You like that Rae In?” She just nodded to him before continue her exploration. 

 

His wife has been a big fan or arts, mainly on painting. That’s when he heard that there will held a painting exhibition in this museum, he decided to bring the art lover herself. While Sehun, he have to admit that he never have his interest on such things. He remembered when he literally goes blank during his first visit to Rae In mother art gallery in Daegu. 

 

Beside that, he thought that this kind of date is the most perfect idea for their date. He does considering other choice like amusement park or even zoo date but surely he didn’t want to imagine them to be like teenagers shouting over at the top of roller coaster ride! They are turning 30 next year and with both well respected in their career, he have to consider about their image as well. 

 

Plus, he actually like the idea too. Museum always have that vibe that engaged you into a romantic and calming mood. It also make him bored but he didn’t mind that. He can use that to enjoy his time slowly with her. While Rae In was busy looking out for the arts in the museum, Sehun thought that his wife herself are the most beautiful art that couldn’t be compared to anything in this world. 

 

“Why did you like arts?” His question suddenly caught her attention. “You know....all these paintings” 

 

She make her move closer to him with her arm hugging Sehun big one. She lead him to the next section of the exhibition. “Because art is undescribable...and it used to help me distract myself from my own negative thoughts” 

 

“Like what?” His curiosity are just getting there. He stopped to look into her face. 

 

“I used to think that I’m alone in this world...that nobody love me” She paused, “But now knowing that I have you, I got nothing to worry about”

 

He her hair and cupped her side face. Not to forget to give his best smile. “You have changed so much over years. I’m so proud of you Rae In” 

 

If people ask again, he will gladly repeat that he really proud of the changes that happened to her. She had it worst during her entire teenagers ages. Jung Rae In that she knew was someone who never believe in herself, much to said to have self confident. She lives with so much negativity and self insecurity that she probably learn from the abuse experience in her family. 

 

In this few years also where he witnessed how she changed from someone that hardly shown her emotion to be more thoughtful in every way. Even though he probably didn’t be the best for her throughout this marriage, but he managed to make her feel appreciated, loved and to be take care of. Most importantly, she learn on how to love herself. 

 

“Rae In..” He called for her attention. When she turns around, he quickly pull out her phone on her. “Stay there. Let me take your photo”

 

She puzzled. Her eyebrows slightly furrowed. “But the background are not even pretty” 

 

“Nah— But you are looking stunning right now. That should be enough” He smiles proudly looking at the results of the photo. It really came out beautifully. 

 

“How on earth I still managed to not cringe to your corny jokes over the years Sehun” She pinched him and grabbed the phone from him. “We should have some selfie too babe”

 

Their date didn’t stop at the museum but Rae In had dragged him to go to Namsan Tower after that. She said that she really wanted to go there again, and that she actually have something that she need to show to him. Something that very cliche but yet very meaningful to her. Back to the night that they went here during the first year of their marriage, which could say the first proper date they ever have. 

 

When both of them still haven’t figured out what they are towards each other, when both of them are playing pull and push on their feelings, when everything seems so unclear despite of the title marriage that they hold. How come they forgot that, when it already become one of the best memories for them. Maybe, if Sehun didn’t eager to make her go with him during that night, she probably wouldn’t do that. 

 

Like when she had to traced back what she had left there few years ago. “Like seriously Rae In, what actually you looking for?” He asked her for the second times. 

 

“Wait give me few minutes” Her replied was quick. 

 

She still with the her position slightly bend over, tentatively looking one by one, the locker pad that she lock back then. It almost sound like a crazy mission when there was actually thousands of locker pad was there. After all, that is the main attraction of the tower. It is for the lover to lock their love over there. Cliche but she have to said that it was actually worked! Their marriage has lasted for so many years. 

 

Still searching through the same location, she positive about remembering the exact place she put it. “Oh! I found it! I found the lock that I put for us!” She almost shouted due to the joy. 

 

“Wait— isn’t this from...” Sehun gasped when he thought the possibility. “I thought we didn’t buy any at that time”

 

Again, he was surprised when she told him that she was the one who secretly buy it during that night. She had been told by Sehun that it was so childish to buy that locker pad that she glad that she actually did that! Their name was engraved into the locker pad, with a small heart between them. To be able to find it back among thousands of it, she got emotional instantly.

 

Sehun hug her and they both sat at the bench nearby. Its been awhile since they have time like this and he couldn’t hide his grins when he saw how his wife happy about the date. It suddenly comes to his mind that he might have archived everything. He is a successful CEO of a big company, he built his own name, his wealth but somehow he realized that he had lost his precious time with his wife. 

 

And he knew that he have and he should continue to make his wife happy. Fulfill her needs and agree to her request, just like when she asked him, 

 

“Can I buy another locker pad for us?”

 


 

Baekhyun had the ugliest reaction on his face when the doctor in charge waking him up early in the morning. The doctor even make sure that all the curtain are tied up to give him sufficient light from outside of the window. He’s getting used to this kind of treatment from this specific doctor. He just thought that that person probably dislike him. Slightly annoyed, he push his face back to the fluffy pillow. 

 

“Good morning Byun Baekhyun. How are you feeling today?” 

 

“Stop playing a doctor Rae In. I need my sleep!” He hissed. 

 

She chuckles looking at this patient. Or should she say, best friend. “I’m not playing, I’m a doctor Baek” She move around his bedside to take a morning report on him. “Are you excited? About to get discharge today?” 

 

“Couldn’t wait for any longer Doctor” He winked and smiles back.

 

“Byun Baekhyunnnnnnnnnnn! You are going back today!” 

 

Rae In sigh. She really need to remind the boys again that hospital isn’t a place for them to shouted around. They had been informed about the news and all of EXO was there to bring him home. Even though they came almost everyday but they just act like they haven’t met him for a long times. They really need to learn how to chill more. 

 

Big balloons, with each of them bringing a bouquet flowers for Baekhyun, this VVIP room has turned into a flower shop in a blinks of times. They are care for him, she get that. But what she couldn’t understand it why they have to be that ‘care’. Maybe, it just true that they can’t be separated. 

 

“Baekhyun...” Sehun came closer and sit on the edge of his bed. “I know I’ve been saying this for many times but... I’m sorry okay? For being rude to you and—“

 

“Calling me a traitor?” Baekhyun eyes were tensed. He resume his words when Sehun didn’t speak anything. “I will always be your middle man Sehun. It my job to tell you if you are doing wrong, for your own sake. That’s what friend for” 

 

Sehun relieved when he heard that. He knew that Baekhyun was so right. “I know now. You guys are that friends who hold my hand to never let me astray”

 

“I guess we're really brothers, aren't we?” Suho wrapped up their emotional session with a group hug. 

 

These are the rare moments that they shared together, letting out what they hold in their heart. To let everyone know that each one of them hold a significant position in their life. Don't know what that could lead, except it means that same path that they will be together forever.

 

“Okay guys no more drama or I will not letting Baekhyun discharge today” Rae In just teased them. What they didn’t know was she already cried behind the door when she overheard their conversation earlier. 

 

“Wait— what? I can go home right? Rae In? Doctor Rae In? Please let me go home!” Everyone just laughed at the sight of desperate Baekhyun.

 

After almost two weeks been admitted to the hospital, he finally get to discharge today. Baekhyun are getting better after the treatments. He was not fully healed but as to see him able to walk and move as usual are enough. Through few more follow up he should be able to be back like he used to. He was eager too, said that he have a wedding to resume. 

 

Speaking of that, through his stay in the hospital Rae In finally met with his fiancée.   He surely hit the jackpot, she thought. She is tall and pretty, polite, and have a stable career too. A lawyer with good physical package? Baekhyun is so lucky to have her. Rae In also found out that she actually pregnant with his child. That’s another reason that making Baekhyun so impatient about fastened his wedding forward. 

 

Rae In remembered when she first met her, she was sobbing was bad. “Please save my Baekhyun, doctor. We need him” She shouldn’t begged her actually, a doctor would just do anything to save her patient. Especially when the patient itself are her own best friend. “I’m pregnant with his child......and he didn’t know yet” 

 

“Oh my God” Rae In quickly apologized to her for her shocked reaction. She just....don’t expect it. “Miss, please be strong. You have to take care of yourself...and the baby too” 

 

“I know. I have to but without Baek....I just can’t...” Her tears just won’t stop. “He always wanted a baby. He said that it will be the best gift that I can give to him. It would be a proof to our love”

 

Rae In patted her back, “I’m sorry to ask but are you okay of being pregnant?” Her sudden question caught the lady off guard. “I mean.....you look young. Are you ready yet?” 

 

“Ready or not, it doesn’t matter. As long as I believe in myself that I could do it, I think I can just go through it. My fiancé really want a baby, and I think by giving him his happiness....it will make me happy too” 

 

It shake Rae In from her thought entirely. It seems like she just woke up from her own insecurities and like finally, she finally understand the whole concept of giving each other happiness. And she would do anything just to make him happy.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Next update will be the final chapter. Please please please help me to comment doen below thank you ;)