SEVEN

EGOISM

Melancholy were the sounds in their apartment on that morning. Sehun was hesitant to open the door of her bedroom, scared of what she might react. Last night he got home to saw his wife trembling and shivering, probably effects from getting soaked in the rain as he noticed her drenched dress. He asked her what’s going on, worried something bad might just happened to her. ‘I’m tired goodnight’ the only words that she managed to said before loudly slammed her bedroom door.

 

Slowly he turns the door knob peeking through her bedroom and tip toe to get closer not to wake her up. Rae In was helplessly lying on her bed, still sleeping but her condition looks so bad that it make Sehun heart sinks. A warm comforter was already wrapped into her body but she still shivering from the coldness. The room temperature is normal for him and he didn’t feel a bit cold being there at that moment.

 

Fck she’s hot’ That’s what Sehun could feel right now. 

 

He didn’t lie about that. In fact, she is way too hot that Sehun has to take back his hand from touching her forehead. All regrets come to him as he jump into conclusions that she might getting this fever from last night. He caresses her face  before leaning in to give a quick peck on her cheeks, saying sorry for whatever he have caused. Rae In move around slightly uncomfortable from his actions and wake up minutes later. 

 

She didn’t say much but keeps her eyes on Sehun as he took a small tower that been dampened in warm water to clean her face. One hand on her neck to support his other hand to do the job. He then went to her drawer to take out a tiny hairband tie her hair into a messy hair bun. She stop him when suddenly he lift her up, going somewhere. 

 

“Wait stop. What are you doing Sehun?” 

 

“I’m taking you to the bathroom. Do everything that you need and get ready. I’m taking you to the clinic alright dear?” He smile and put her down. 

 

Meantime Sehun has prepared simple breakfast for both of them before leaving the house. She shake her head as a sign that she didn’t interested with the meals. She was not in a mood for foods or even to talk to him. She just want everything to get settled quickly so that she could rest. Rae In are ready with her long sleeve shirt and white washed jeans, pale and sick face to go the clinic. It was his idea to get there since her fever was so bad that it need to get a better treatment from doctor rather than only taking a paracetamol at home. 

 

“Your wife is fine. Just a severely fever and she will be fine after 2-3 days. I noticed that she was too stress past days. Please take care of her”

 

“I will. Thanks Doctor” Sehun bids his farewell. 

 

Rae In walks ahead leaving him behind in the clinic. She went to his car leans at his door waiting it to be opened. She groans in pain, hoping that he will be there faster as the headache getting worse. 

 

“Are you okay Rae In? Is there anything you need? You want to eat something?” 

 

Sehun keeps asking her the same questions along the way back to their house, only to make Rae In more annoyed with him. For the whole day she could only give cold stares and humming, purposely avoid any interaction with him. He couldn’t expect her to be normal with him after everything that has happened last night. He literally broke her heart without he even realized. 

 

“You can’t be stress like this Rae In. You heard what the doctor have said”

 

Silent

 

“You have to eat something. I’m worried about you Rae In” 

 

Sehun getting angry with the silent treatment she gave.

 

“I’m your husband for God sake! I know you are sick as fck but can you not being brat and act like this?! Talk to me!!”

 

“Huh husband? Are you still my husband Oh Sehun?” She smirks. 

 

“What— what are you talking about?” He was shocked.

 

“I had enough Sehun. Stop pretending to be a good husband and just live your life. Don’t ever bother about me!”

 

Sehun was shoot by her words. His grip on steering was tightened and he speeds off the car aimlessly. He noticed that Rae In has fidget a bit in her seat probably scared by his driving. He then slow down, calming himself. 

 

“I’m sorry. I missed how we used to be before. It just— what is happening to us Rae In?”

 

“You should ask that to yourself Sehun. Why all of this happened” The awkward conversation leads two broken heart back to their apartment.

 

Rae In buried her head under the darkness of the pillow and pretended it was night. She couldn't see the point of getting up, she had nothing to look forward to. Her fever didn’t get better and it make it worse as she felt exhausted and lethargic. 

 

‘Can I just sleep all day?’ She sigh. 

 

Wake up with unfamiliar scents, she rub her eyes wide open only to realized that she wasn’t in her bedroom. To be precise, she was in Sehun bedroom. Sun rays from the windows slightly make her vision blurry and a hand slipped across her wrist reminds her to reality. Sehun was sleeping on the chair next to the bed, holding a small tower on his other hand. Rae In had a nightmare last night and it bothered him somehow. Despite of having an argument yesterday, he still took her into his room and stayed up to take care of her. 

 

It didn’t make sense on how she ended up being here but a sight of Sehun sleeping while take care of her make Rae In heart softened. But she didn’t want to trouble him more as she always thought that she’s a burden to Sehun. She decided to get out of his bed, moving to her bedroom but her body denied it. She feel as if a big rock are place in her shoulder, prevents her from getting anywhere. Her legs are too stiff to move and her eyelids getting heavy. Give up, she finally leans back and drifted to sleep again. She was too sick.

 

“You awake Rae In? You look so pale. I hope you recover soon” 

 

Sehun lean forwards with his hand to her forehead but she shifted as to avoid his touch. Rae In didn’t utter any words, slowly climb down the bed to make move from his bedroom. 

 

“Stop. I know you don’t want to see my face but please eat this okay? I brought you chicken porridge that my mum send this morning” 

 

He slowly give up on her. She’s not only giving him silent treatment but also refused to eat anything. He bought several types of foods but she wasn’t touched it at all. It worried him since Rae In fever wouldn’t get down if she didn’t consume any foods, she will be only getting more weak. His last hope will be the porridge that made by his mother. However, she remains quiet. Her body is stiff without any movement and were shut. Sehun understand the situation and he had to leave if it could make Rae In feel better.

 

“I know you hate me Rae In. I’ll be giving you some space. I’m going out to the campus, if you need anything just give me a call okay? Be safe and take care”

 

With a long sigh he made himself out of their apartment. His heart is way too hurt but he knows that he deserved that. All he wanted is Rae In to be healthy as always.

 


 

Rae In having her mind wanders somewhere thinking about her mother in law words. It still echoed in her head. Yesterday she managed to thanked her for a delicious porridge that she made. She wasn’t fully healed yet but at least the homemade remedy is working for her to gain her appetite back. She didn’t said any words about their marriage problem to her, but a mother instincts knows it all. 

 

“Remember, everyone deserved to be loved and so as you. Sehun love you so much. He might didn’t tell you yet but don’t worry he is” 

 

Sehun family especially his mother are too nice to Rae In and she wonder if she still can call her ‘mom’ after this, she doesn’t know for how long their marriage will last. With this kind of relationship, she don’t know if she could save it. For these two days that she’s been sick, she saw Sehun side that missed. A caring husband that take care and protect her, just like he used to be before. She couldn’t help but to feel guilty over the cold treatment that she gave towards him. If he could make efforts to get back like that, maybe she could lower her ego to forget everything and start a new chapter.

 

It is a sunny day in Seoul on Tuesday, April 12. She remembered on this date two years ago, she met a man that has captured her heart for the first time. It was a chill evening in the bubble tea shop. She was having her usual cup of bubble milk tea and she heard a group of boys sang a birthday song to one of them. He were surprised with the celebration and he looked shy when s asked him to blow candles on the cake. Later she found out that the boys that called themselves as EXO is her senior in the campus. They incidentally changed a gaze and he flashed a smile - enough to make her heart beats faster as it could be, made it as one of the best day she ever had. 

 

“Can you deliver the butterscotch cheese cake to my apartment? Yes? Thank you!”

 

She feel extremely happy to hear that her favorite bakery can do a special delivery for her today. It is Sehun birthday and she want surprise him with simple celebration in their apartment. Rae In still sick but it didn’t stop her make a plan on everything. From a cake reservation to foods take out, she ordered everything according to her husband likes. She would love to cook it by herself but she knows that her condition will only make it worse. This would be a great start for her to build up their relationship again. 

 

Rae In aware that Sehun had a full day classes today and she used that chance to prepare everything back in their apartment. She decorated the dining table with scented candles and beautiful fresh flowers. She make everything look pretty for tonight. It is six in the evening and everything is done. All she need to do now is to wear something nice and touch up her face, puts some makeup to cover her pale sick face. 

 

I hope you will like it Sehun, happy birthday’ She said to herself.

 

The club in Gangnam is loud as always. EDM music are played by the DJ, this time Hello es by CL is choosen; give a party vibe in the space. Some of them are drown in the crowd dancing to each other, enjoying themselves and some of them having their own drinks at the bar. At the corner of the club, some of EXO maknae line members were spotted having their drinks while jamming to the music that been blast through the speakers in high definition mood. Giving an eargasm to everyone. 

 

“Who’s the fck going clubbing on Tuesday?” Seolla that just arrived asked that to one of them. 

 

“Hmm— Kim Jongin and his friends? Haha! Hey you Sehun my man! Happy birthday!” 

 

Kai who was a bit drunk make a noise as soon as he saw Sehun walking behind Seolla into their table. 

 

“What are you doing here Sehun? Bacon tell us that you are having a birthday celebration with Rae In at home?” Chanyeol asked, he’s confused. 

 

“I just came back straightly from campus and she didn’t tell me anything so I join Seolla to meet you guys here, you know to celebrate my birthday” Sehun defend himself.

 

“You stupid fck. It supposed to be a surprise! These 2-3 days usually you will straightly going home because you wife is sick but why today you decided to follow her? God Sehun she’s been so excited asking me on what to do for your birthday. Even though she was damn sick but she remembered it! Now stop being a fcker and go back to your wife!” 

 

Sehun was snapped at Baekhyun words and quickly storm off the club going back home. He want to be there as soon as he can for Rae In so he speeds off. Later, he arrived at the their apartment area. He didn’t pay attention at all to anything along his way, that’s when he didn’t realized that actually Seolla been following his car from the club earlier.

 

“What— what are you doing here Seolla?”

 

“I need to talk to you Sehun. It’s your birthday. Can we go talk somewhere else?”

 

“I’m sorry but I had to go home. Can we just talk about it next time?”

 

“You— you love her, did you? Your wife, you love her more than me right? Sehun, I came back in Seoul just for you. We could be back together, like we used before”

 

“I know that you came back for me. But I tied to Rae In now. I don’t know, I’m confused Seolla”

 

“I will help you to get rid of your confusion...” 

 

She stopped her words and crashed her lips into him. Sehun was freeze, shocked due to her sudden action. His body stiff not even respond to the kiss, only to pushed her away afterwards.

 

“We’ll talk about this later. I need to go now” He left.

 

The day has ended. It has passed 12 am, four freaking hours that Rae In waited for him in the dining table. With the icings that melted, slowly ruined the cake. The rib eye steaks that she ordered from the famous Michelin restaurant was also getting cold. Sipping her third glass of champagne, she’s getting bored waiting for the sight of her husband. 

 

Taking a night breeze in the balcony of their apartment, she spotted her husband car parked outside of the building. Wonder why he didn’t park it at the basement. Just then, she saw a familiar girl came behind him. Everything seems to crashed on herself when she saw that girl pulled Sehun into her embrace before kiss him, on his lips. The lips that she once felt the warmth on the day that they got married and the night that they went for glamping, now in front of her own eyes she saw it was locked with other girl lips. 

 

Prrranggg’ She threw his framed picture off her bedroom just to hear her heart break. 

 

As soon as he got into the house, he saw everything was dumped into the dustbin. The cake that he thought maybe supposed to be the surprise that Baekhyun mentioned earlier was smashed just like that. He’s too late. Sound of broken glass made Sehun rush to find where the sound came from - realized that it is from Rae In bedroom. Picking up his wedding photo frames from the floor, he move closer to sit at edge of her bed. 

 

“I spoilt everything right? I hurt you again Rae In. I’m sorry” 

 

Sehun said at his worst condition ever. He looks guilty and frustrated with himself.

 

“I saw she kiss you. Did you still love her?” He surprised didn’t expect that she saw everything. 

 

“That— I can’t tell you now”

 

“Tell me so that we can proceed to divorce!”

 

“What?!— You want to get divorce just because of the kiss?! Why are you being like this Rae In when at first we agreed that there will be not string attached between us....when this is only an arr—“

 

“Arranged marriage? Fck that Sehun! I’m getting tired with all of this! Let me go and you can be free with the love of your life!”

 

“I’m not going to let you go Rae In. You know that! I promised you before!”

 

“Everything because of that promise! I’m such a stupid Sehun. I was too stupid in love with you till I can’t realized that you didn’t actually lov—-“

 

Rae In in shocked when Sehun forcefully place a kiss into her lips, leaving her stunned for seconds. She tried to push him but he way to strong compare to her. The kiss wasn’t soft like she had before, it was fierce and strong as if Sehun tells her that she was his. 

 

Pang!’ A slap landed on his cheek.

 

“What you think you are doing?! Everything that come from your mouth is a lie Sehun! I hate you!”

 


 

Sehun eagerly getting up and running to the living hall and the surprise on his face when he realizes his wife wasn’t in her bed as well. She had gone to campus with her sick condition just to avoid him. The rainy sound coming from the street confirms his horrible suspicion – their fight is going to be real this time. 

 

“You are sick Rae In! Love is never supposed to hurt. Love is supposed to heal, to be your haven from misery, to make living fcking worthwhile”

 

“I don’t want to talk about this again Baek. I have class, see you later”

 

Rae In quickly made her way to the lecture hall before Baekhyun able to ask her more questions. She decided to avoid Sehun and his friends at any cost, prevent any possible interaction especially that can add to her heartbroken. Her body getting more worse than ever, her fever is still burning up. Her body temperature wasn’t in a good state but she still insists to go the classes. She need something to distract her to think about her problems with Sehun. 

 

Meanwhile, everyone in EXO noticed the tense between Baekhyun and Sehun. All of them having their lunch together at the rooftop but the silence was unusual especially when the most talkative one decided not to speaks at all. 

 

“If you two have a problem, then talks to each other” Suho the leader spoke on behalf of others. 

 

“I don’t have any problem with him hyung” Sehun retorted. 

 

“Yes but you have a problem with your wife Sehun! Heck don’t you see she’s suffering from all of this?! I thought you care about her!”

 

“She’s my wife Baek. I don’t see the point you getting mad because of her. Or perhaps you like her?!”

 

“What the hell Sehun. I’ve been friend with you for so many years not to be labeled as traitor like this! I’m no one to talks about your marriage problem but cut the crap Sehun. Rae In miserable as right now. I can’t just simply let her be like that. Especially when I knew that my own best friend who caused it! I know you love her Sehun, you know that too but you are too ego to admit it! Don’t be a coward you !”

 

In a way fighting was just like using magic. People will said the words, and the words will give impacts to the listeners. By merely speaking its either create damage and pain, cause tears to fall, drive people away or it can make yourself feel better and heal the broken friendship. In this case Sehun glad that Baekhyun made him realized something and he apologized to him after the argument. 

 

That’s what always happened in EXO, whenever they felt something was wrong with them, they will talks to each other to solve it. There is no point to keep to yourself and make it become a huge deal when you can actually be frank and speaks the truth. A real friend should never tells lie. Truth can be hurt but it helps us to be someone better. They can argue all day but the next day everything will back to normal as if nothing has happened between them.

 

“Daebak! Did you know that Oh Sehun got married to Jung Rae In!”

 

“Woah no wonder he cares about her when she got bullied the other day!” Random students gossiping.

 

A quiet morning in the business faculty building would set the mood perfectly to break the news. One of the biggest secrets of Sehun and Rae In life was on the tabloid news. Their marriage news was leaked out. It was the photos from his company previous new branch launching, the night where Seolla found out that truth. Today, the whole SNU finally know that their ice prince and princess are married to each other. 

 

It was all over the campus before they got a chance to explain things. There is a lot of mixed reactions from it, some said that they are just suitable for each other but some even question whether their marriage is it only based on business purpose? Is it arranged - another secret that yet to be revealed. For now, what they saw through the media is the marriage is build in the name of love.

 

“Look, that’s the home wrecker. How come she come back here when Sehun already married to Rae In?”

 

“Gosh if i were her, I will leave this place. Didn’t she feel ashamed to be with the guy that didn’t love her anymore? Get a life girl!”

 

For many of people, it’s the silence of being friendless and alone that causes the pain. That silence can be just as loud as a group of girls indirectly insults her in the cafeteria. Getting attention for the wrong thing can be just as horrible as being left out. However all the bad words, insults that she got only make her feel less than like her existence there doesn’t matter, like she should just roll over and die already. Seolla couldn’t pretend as if she didn’t heard everything. The fact that those words that the girls said are almost true only make her feel more worse. 

 

Now that everyone aware about Sehun and Rae In relationship, she felt she was outcast already, getting thrown by everybody. She’s only known as someone that he used to like, not his priority that once he care most. Sehun has changed and the moment that she know that Rae In was in his life, Seolla realized that she have lost him. Someone that she love more than everything. If she could change the past, surely she wouldn’t leave him before. It hurt more when her own best friend, EXO has more attention to Rae In compare to her. She is nobody now. 

 

“Seolla, we— we need to talk” Rae In meet her halfway.

 

“I love him. Sehun, I still love him like I used to before” Seolla start the conversation.

 

“I know. That’s what I want to discuss about. I— I will back off. But I need some time to settle everything, to get divorce with Seh—“ 

 

“But he love you Rae In. He didn’t love me” She cuts Rae In from continue her words. 

 

“What?— wait, no. You guys should get back together”

 

“I can’t allow myself be with someone who have their heart to someone else Rae In. It hurts”

 

“I’m sorry Seolla but I think we should talk later. My head— it hurt so bad. I—“

 

“Rae In are okay? Rae In?!—“

 

Everything stopped, people were stood like statues all around them, girls who eavesdropping from earlier, guys on their way to class all lifeless, frozen in time. There’s one girl who waves her arms and shouts something instead. After everyone approach Rae In and Seolla to see what’s happening, the girl get out of the tutor room and yells, “Rae In faited!

 

It happened that she fainted during her discussion with Seolla in the tutor room. Her body couldn’t take it any longer and she fall to the ground. It was too fast that Seolla can’t even react to it. She had no idea what to do. The room is nearby to the lecture hall that Sehun attend, only takes few minutes for him to be there with EXO joined behind. 

 

“Oh my god Rae In! Are you okay? Hey wake up” Chanyeol in worries slowly shake her body to wake her up. 

 

“Move— I’ll take her from here” 

 

Everyone gasps when Sehun suddenly bend down and carried her in bridal style, exit the place. 

 

Seolla left there with the cold stares that she received from everyone. Most of them looks her with the hidden message that they hate her for everything she had done to Rae In. Eventually it wasn’t her fault. Rae In was sick for these days and it happened in a bad timing that she fainted when they met. But that wasn’t the real factor that her heart broke into a million pieces there. She saw how Sehun immediately run to Rae In and get her away, he don’t even realized that she was there as well. Too immersed to save his wife. She know that is the limit, the crucial sign that it was over between them. Sehun wasn’t hers anymore. 

 

“Remember Seolla, never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option. Move on, you will fine someone better than him. You deserve to have a good life too” 

 

Baekhyun advice her before make his way with others join Sehun to go to the hospital.

 

Bear it for awhile Rae In. Please be fine. I need you’ Sehun whispers hoping that his wife will be safe.

 

 

 

A/N: Something goes wrong with my editor and I couldn’t use the italic style for few lines. Sorry if the format messed up ㅠㅠ