TEN

EGOISM

Ever since she was ten, Rae In have always liked to surround herself with her favorite things, one of it is by doing a charity works. Back then she love to follow her mother to this kind of event and it always make her happy to be able to help those who are in need. Today, in the name of her mother charity foundation, she able to open a new orphanage. As a home for those unfortunate kids who needs shelter and financial helps.

 

It is unfortunate how these children are in a young age but have already lost a significant part of their childhood. They had no one to understand and care for them, no one to take them out, and no opportunity to go to school. These children that were chosen to live in this house are either orphans or those who were left by their parents, due to family financial struggles. They are just too young to even understand the living difficulties faces by the adults in this cruel world.

 

“Did you miss them?” She asked one of the boy.

 

"I do. I miss my family so much. I know if there was any choice at all, they wouldn't have left me alone. They would have made sure I was taken care of” He sounds so sad. 

 

"My dear” Rae In said. “I believe they did. And I want you to remember that they always love you” 

 

Perhaps there are those who are able to go about their lives unrestricted by such concerns. But for those like them, their fate is to face the world as orphans, chasing through long years without their parents. As she watched them playing around the orphanage, Rae In would think of their lives as the blank pages of a book in which would be fill with the initial chapters of wonderful stories in future. She believed that these children could change their fate and she hope that this little help from her company will be a good pathway for them. 

 

Meanwhile, at one corner of the place there is a guy stood looking at her with a full of admiration for a moment. There is a look in his eyes. It seemed to her that it was the look of someone who had thought of her every day of that year. She surely had the best time of her life with her husband being so in love with her. In the bright afternoon light through the windows, he still look beautiful, shirt open at the collar and streaks of hair falling into his eyes and it makes him appear even more handsome.

 

She had no need to ask why he had come. She knew as certainly as if he had told her that he was here to be where she was. “So did you miss me or miss me?” 

 

“I guess I just have to admit that I miss you baby girl” He gave her a quick peck on her lips. 

 

“We are in public place Sehun” She was slightly embarrassed.

 

A voice from behind interrupted them. “It’s a good thing that you could remember that lovebirds” 

 

“Just admit it that you are jealous Chanyeol” Kai said.

 

“Jeez. Stop back up them dark-skin-guy” He retorted.

 

Baekhyun interrupted. Making them stop “Yoda yoda. You should learn how to keep your temper down okay? Be cool like me, see every kids here are in awe with my handsomeness” He said proudly.

 

Sehun has brought along his minion with him. Chanyeol, Kai and Baekhyun was dragged here because he said that they were doing so many bad things in their life and it’s time for them to do some good deeds towards society. Another way to repent, he told them. This savage maknae has always something sharp to said to them. Since the hyung line graduated, these guys has become more closer than they already been. They were the only members left in the SNU and they are so inseparable. 

 

What makes him more annoyed is these guys always crash into his apartment without even considering a perfect time for visit. They will come whenever they feel too. Sometimes they just ring the bell and said, “We are hungry feed us some foods” even in the morning. There is a time when Sehun need to chase them out just to have his private time with his wife. But today he didn’t regret that he invited them. At least they could lend some helps in the orphanage. It such a rare sight to see them doing this kind of works. 

 

The launching event about to start soon and the VIP has arrived to venue. Rae In fidgeting in her seat, nervous as she is going to deliver a speech as the founder of the orphanage. She catches glimpse of her father among the guest. It only make her scared. Unlike others who always receive compliments from their father for their efforts and achievements, Rae In never get that. Even when she was doing well in studies, her father didn’t said a single ‘congrats’ to her. The only thing that made her father proud of her was when she got married to Sehun and both families company business are merged.

 

“.....lastly, I would like to thanks everyone who came today and I hope that everyone sincere efforts in helping these kids will be repay with joy and happiness in your life” Rae In received a round of applause with her meaningful speech.

 

“Sincere efforts in helping these kids? Are you trying to mock me in front of everyone Jung Rae In?!” Her father said as soon as he met her. 

 

“I didn’t dare to do that father. I’m sorry if I have hurt you in any way” Rae In couldn’t even titled her head up to his level. She was too scared.

 

“You are useless just like your mother. Weak women!” He yelled right in her face. Thankfully they weren’t in the open space.

 

It was enough for Sehun to hear all the crap. He has been secretly eavesdropping their conversation since earlier because he knew that his father in law must have something bad to said to his own daughter, he already aware of his personality. The door in the room busted open and he walked in, making the old man startles with him. He’s determined to defend Rae In. If he didn’t protect his wife, then who else will?

 

“I’m sorry to be rude but you cannot said that to my wife, father” Even though he was mad but he still have to be polite in front of his father in law.

 

“I was arranged to your mother and we didn’t happy. It was a failure marriage and all she left is you! I bet that you guys will be the same!” Her father didn’t step back.

 

“We are not the same, father. My wife and I we love each other. She might disappoint you by not continuing your business legacy. But one day, Rae In will prove to you that she will became a good doctor and manage the family hospital as well. And at that moment, I want you personally recognized her achievements. From this moment, I, Oh Sehun will never let anyone despise my wife even her own father!” Sehun dragged his wife away.

 

Trying to change someone is like throwing paper into a fire. It is nearly impossible to change someone unless they want to. She has been getting the same treatment from her father for several years. No matter how much tears that she labored or even with her mother death, it never changes him. He still be the same person that will never love her as his own family, all the cares is wealth. After all, maybe he was meant not to change for better. 

 


 

That night was full of stars when they walked into the garden. It was full with cherry blossoms everywhere accompany them throughout the night walk. She took the same seat she always does. Back then she always went here alone to clear out her mind but this time there is someone beside her. Sehun looked at her and that's how she knew, that he is the only source of her joy.

 

He kiss her forehead to make her feel better. “One day your father will realize he is and was wrong. But that’s for him to figure out. It doesn’t matter anymore as long as you got me. I will protect you forever baby”

 

Sehun always thought that his wife like to play a strong woman, but a strong woman can also be very fragile and vulnerable at the same time. He bet that everyone will said the same things about her, being an arrogant brat but she never be the one to him. She was cold, yes he admit that but he saw more than that. For him Jung Rae In will always be a little girl that he need to protect, no matter how much she act like she could do anything by her own, she still need to be taken care like a fine fragile porcelain.

 

He remembered how Rae In was during the period that they got engaged. He saw how a strong woman who recklessly throws away her strength, begged him as if her life depended on this, asked him to accept this marriage and take her away from her misery life. Jung Rae In, a heiress to Jung Empire with her famous cold attitude not supposed to be like this but at that moment she look worst like a weak woman who has never had any strength to fight. 

 

He recalled the conversation between them during one of their date back then. “I don’t know what happened to you but you need to tell me everything so that I could understand why you can’t back off from this, our engagement” 

 

Looking out of his car window, Rae In was in a deep thought. “That day, I already told you my dad is going to kill me” She added.

 

“But why the hell that he have to do that? He’s your father after all” He sounds demanded. 

 

Not received any response from her, Sehun keep pushed her to spills everything out. 

 

“Your silence will not protect you girl” His tone softened when he saw her like that.

 

“My father...he never love me. He always thought that I was such a burden to him and he told me that if I opposed this marriage then he will never regard me as his bloodline. I’ll be kick from the house” 

 

He stared at the girl continuously before leaning closer and took her hand. “Let’s do this. This marriage, I will agree. I will help you”

 

Sehun don’t even understand himself. He was the one who really hate the idea of this engagement but he still did it till the end. He could just ignore all her requests and leave her straight away - the only way to save himself from getting married to someone he doesn’t love. But a part of him always telling him that he have to be someone that his fiancee could rely on, especially when her mother had passed away. He knew that Rae In was lonely and got no one at that time. 

 

He couldn’t help but to be responsible on her. His heart ached when he saw her during her mother funeral, she was lost in her own world. He was surprised with him too when suddenly he went to her and hug her. Give her full support and comfort even though he never labored any feelings towards her. From that moment also Sehun realized that he need to be there for his fiancee. Few days after her mother funeral, Rae In still locked herself in her room. And that makes Sehun worried about her. 

 

In her room, she found him carefully studying her, his lips in a thin line. “Beside your mother, has anyone ever taken care of you?” He asked quietly.

 

“No” The only thing that she could answered. 

 

“Jung Rae In, you are so fragile. You have to be healthy and learn how to love yourself. Your body, mind, and soul need to be protected and cared for. Please remember that you have me now. I promised you that day, did I?” 

 

She didn't need to understand the meaning of life, or how her should be, really. It was enough to find someone who are just there for her and then fall asleep in his arms. Just sleep as a child sleeps, without any worries, knowing that someone stronger than her is protecting her from everything. Rae In life was full of challenges and hardships but she glad that God has sent her someone like him. Past or now, Oh Sehun still be her protector. 

 

The sky went darker and the neighborhood was getting more quiet as the night has passed some times. Both of them still walking, hand in hand. Each time he held her hand, Rae In often reminded that she wasn’t alone in this world and there is somebody cares for her, someone who will be ready to rescue her for whatever trouble will come in her way. The atmosphere was so good that she felt as if she was in the romantic drama scene. With the street lamp seemed brighter with her standing underneath. She looked at him and there is just the two of them.

 

“I love you. I can't remember when I fell in love with you but very naturally, I had fallen in love with you before I knew it. The first time I met you, you were a strong and kind boy. You always protected me”

 

”I love you too” He kissed her and the lamp post has become a witness of their greatest love. 

 


 

When they were arranged, agreed really, they never expected it to last till this moment. They weren’t like the other marriage couples who have their romantic story to be told, but they were proud that they could hold into this marriage and build the love between them. She loves how they are right now, the way that they freely express their love towards each other, how they was there for both of them and the way she woke up in his embrace every morning. The moment when he rolls over puts his arm around her and pulls her closer in his sleep, this makes Rae In life complete.

 

“Good morning beautiful”

 

She loves when her husband calls her beautiful like it’s her name. Rae In had to admit that she wasn’t used to all this kind of cheesy lines that he likes to said but she wouldn’t denied that she like that. Scratch that, she loves that. It makes her heart pounders every time. Sometimes it even give her a heart attack. One thing that Sehun good at is, making his wife falling in love with him everyday. His hair was in messed but still looks good to her. Sehun slightly rubs his eyes, staring at his wife.

 

“Wake up, baby” She whines when Sehun tried to wake her up. 

 

“I need to sleep more” She said. “It’s Sunday”

 

He smiled to her reactions. He knew that Rae In wasn’t a morning person but he like to at every chance that he could get.

 

“Five more minutes, please Sehun?” Only to tighten her grips on Sehun waist. 

 

“Alright...but with one condition” He have a better idea. “I need my morning kiss first” He grinned.

 

Love has made him surprise himself. He would never have believed it possible, but it's turned out that now he is a man who trying his best to make a breakfast for his wife on a cozy Sunday morning where he could just sleep, with his iPhone on his hand scrolling several recipes, even though he never cook in his life. He can do this and not think twice, just the way he can spend hours playing football, he thought that this will be easy as well for him.

 

It always felt great to be at your own house. Rae In can be categorized as a homebody and she just love to be at home. Especially when her relationship with Sehun has become more better, she always glad to have him as the first person that she saw in morning and the last person she met before she sleep. She always dreamt to have a beautiful marriage life where she will feel comfortable to be at her own house with her lovely husband and now she believed that it has been achieved.

 

Tip toe quietly in the kitchen, she slipped her arms into his waist and pressed her face behind him inhaled his body scent that she always loved. He was way to tall for her to put her chin into his shoulder, just the way that Sehun always did to her.

 

“Babe you cook?” She was surprise to the sight of Sehun cooking in the kitchen. “Are the boys coming over?”

 

“I would put the poison in this foods if they are coming” Sehun laughed just when he thought about that. It must be funny with Baekhyun dramatically chocking on his foods or Kyungsoo probably smack him using his favorite spatula.

 

She was laughing too. It will be epic if it was real “You are so mean Sehun. They love you! Anyway, what you make for breakfast? I never saw you cook before” 

 

“I’m still trying..to make a kimchi fried rice for you” He said while chopping onions on the chopping board. “Just wait. It will be deli— oh its hurt!” 

 

He stopped and let go the knifes that he hold right away. “Bloody hell. I cut myself!” 

 

“Oh my God are you okay?” Rae In looks so worried over her husband. She blows off his finger that was injured. “Please be careful next time. I don’t want you to get hurt babe”

 

It was actually only a small cut on his index finger but he made it as if his whole fingers were cut into pieces. Rae In find it cute for him to act like that with her. He always be the guy that everyone amazed with his masculinity, strong football team captains with a very handsome face, but almost crying when he got a cut in his finger. 

 

At the end he left everything in the kitchen to his wife, said that he absolutely had no talents in cooking and he will only make either him loosing all his fingers or get the kitchen burned. Weekend in their apartment will always spend by both of them resting, sometime not even bothers to go out. If they didn’t have any plan, Rae In usually used the time to do some revision for her studies. She will keep doing that for hours.

 

Major degree in medical will never be easy for her. It was tougher than her previous major. She had to studies a lot of things and she just had to it if she want to success. Memorizing the facts is something that she hate and it getting worse when Sehun always distracted her and make her lost her focus. 

 

Even with simple “My finger is hurting so bad! Someone call the doctor!” or he could just put some drama like “My wife is memorizing all the medical terms that I think one day she will even forget my name”

 

He’s annoying he’s hilarious, and even sometimes he makes Rae In yell, he drives her crazy, he’s out of his mind but he’s everything that she want in her life. Give up with her revisions, she make her way to the living hall joining Sehun watching the movie.

 

“Sehun?” Rae In looks down at Sehun who was lying under the blanket, “Hmm?” His eyes still focus on the television.

 

“I can’t just sit there alone while you are watching this movie here. You know I hate this kind of horror movie”

 

Sehun groaned and open up his blanket for her to popped up beside him. He puts his arm out as a pillow and wrapped her arm around Rae In, to cuddling with her. Unlike his wife, he didn’t easily get scared from watching a horror movie so he asked Rae In to be close with him giving her chance to hide her face to him when the scary scenes appear. He always jokes to her that If we watch a scary movie with someone else, then the scariness is cut in half. But for her, there is no such a thing. No matter how many people are there, she will keep screams and still got scared.

 

“Rae In, I know it’s kinda late for us but I always wanted to do this with you” Sehun broke the silent after the movie was finished.

 

“What is that?” She asked.

 

Lower his head slightly up to the level or hers, Sehun whispered “We are going for a honeymoon”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: The flashback scenes is extended story from chapter 2. I hope everyone didn’t get confuse. More and more cheesy chapters ahead so stay tuned!

 

 

I need your help to give more votes on this story please please please hehe thank you :)