SIXTEEN

EGOISM

It could be Rae In most heartbreaking emergency case experience that she ever faced in her entire career as a doctor, when she had to save her own best friend who almost dying in front of her eyes. She saw a friend or relative of the patients cry all the time, but she will never forget the screaming of her other best friends crying by the transparent window of Baekhyun ICU room. 

 

Rae In was making her night shift round when she saw Suho trying to calm Chanyeol from sobbing too much in a corner of the floor, hugging each other for support, which what they need the most. She saw them and had to pull over because she was in tears. It such a heartbreaking moment. 

 

It’s a strict reminder of the need for a doctor like her to practice good self care in the face of devastating loss and when to deal with the cases involving someone they knew. She had to keep the professionalism. No choice but she have to tuck all those sorrow feelings away to deal with later on so she can keep helping other patients in the moment.

 

She lifted up her head slightly from the desk, looking out at the screen of her mobile phone when it started to ringing. Her face changed immediately, blood rushed to her head when she saw the numbers of the caller, it was the ICU department, where he had been transferred after the surgery— something must be happened to Baekhyun. 

 

“Dr Rae In, we had an emergency situation right here!” 

 

“I’m coming!” She knew that she couldn’t hold any more minutes for the calls.

 

As soon as she hung up the phone, Rae In runs as fast as she can to the intensive unit care, to look for him. It could be fatal for the delays and she couldn’t bear to risk it for the life of her best friend. They told her that Baekhyun was in sudden cardiac arrest and they are in their best to give him CPR at the moment. 

 

After three more minutes she arrived and quickly jumped on his bed to take over on CPR, pumping his heart to bring him back. Most of her veins are started to visible and the cold sweats are formed in her forehead, focusing on putting all her efforts in order to save him. 

 

She still didn’t get any responds from him, this couldn’t be happen. Her yelled could be heard across the room, “Prepare the defibrillator now!”

 

One shock to another, making his unconscious body jumped out of the sudden impact, but still no respond. The situation was so tensed that every medical assistant in that room are freeze, getting the anxiety from the sight of Rae In act. 

 

This is not a proper time to admire her but she really, really look cool right there with her knees on both of his body, kneeling with the machine to bring back his life. They not only saw a doctor putting all of her energy to save a patient, but also a friend who will never give up on her friend life.

 

“Come on Baek! You could do this!” She keeps calling his name out of his unconsciousness. 

 

“You can’t be die Byun Baekhyun!” The defibrillator movement has been pause for awhile. Her tears are started to form, indicating she almost give up. 

 

No signs of his heart beat will come back again, everyone started to make a preparation. Another doctor who’s in charge come and grab her arm, “I’m sorry Dr Rae In but there’s nothing that we can do” 

 

“No! I will not give up on him! He have to be alive!” She sheds her tears and get the defibrillator again. No matter what happens she can’t just let him die. She have to try, even if it for the last time. 

 

“I will announce the time of his death...” 

 

Baekhyun always be the most cheerful, strongest heart among all. The one that will do all his best just to keep his friends happy, to always make the situation into a fun moments that everyone will remember.  That kind of friend will never be replaced by anyone else. He wouldn’t leave his friends. 

 

He has a strong will. A strong will to live...and he came back. 

 

That one last shock Rae In made that make his heart back into normal rhythm. She quickly thrown the machine aside and check for his pulse and heartbeat, finally relieved on the sound of the beeping sound that keep moving. Jumped out of the bed, she collapsed by her back on the ground. Battling with the defibrillator for awhile, it required 20 shocks over 40 minutes to get Baekhyun back.

 

The messed are all over and he is more stable right now. It was one of the most crucial hour in her life when she have to put her life in line just to save him. Cost her to be drenched in sweats, worried and anxiety but it’s all worth it. Just for her best friend. 

 

She moved to the head of the bed to checking his condition, which she had done for numerous times and secure his head position. As she looked down at his body – head bandaged, covering in blood, bruises all over, it seems like she could hear his inner voice say, ‘Rae In, don’t let me die’.

 

“I tried my best Baek. But you have to be strong to keep alive” She said to the body in front of her. “Please....we need you” 

 

Other day, when he was admitted in the ER, a few minutes before he lost his consciousness, she promised him she wouldn’t let him die. Although Rae In knew that in spite of the very best care, his injuries were severe and promising his survival was beyond anything she could guarantee. 

 

But as a doctor, she believe in the miracle. Life matters, that’s all God works. We could just show our efforts and pray the best. She said that because during all her times in the hospital, she have seen too many people die who should have lived but didn’t, and too many die for no reason. 

 

“This is not the end for you Baek, wake up soon. We all need you” And she stayed with him for the entire time. 

 


 

The boys has been there since earlier, never left even for awhile. From the moment they got a call regarding Baekhyun accident, they immediately rushed to the hospital to meet him. Even though its been more than 24 hours he’s been laying on the bed, unconsciously, they still wait for him. EXO need him to be back. 

 

When they reached to the emergency room, Rae In saw nothing but heartbroken expression on their faces. It felt like a pang on her heart when Chen come and immediately collapsed on the floor, fainted from too much shocked when he saw his best friend condition. The others were crying as well. Trying their best to control their emotion considering the place they were at, the hospital. 

 

Sehun was the worst. He only come when Baekhyun already in the operation room ready for his surgery. She saw the devastation on his face, regrets and angers that he hold, which Rae In herself didn’t understand why he had that. As if he felt so guilty on him. But for sure she knew that he’s the most affected from this. 

 

She told them to go back first, said that she will personally monitor Baekhyun while they are taking their rest. They didn’t bulge a bit. The earlier surgery has been successful but they want to stay, in case something bad happened to him. Just like the sudden cardiac arrest just now.

 

“Guys.....” Rae In just come out from the ICU to meet them. She need to update them his latest condition. It just so heartbreaking when she saw how worried they were when Baekhyun almost lost his life earlier. 

 

“How about Baekhyun? What happened to him?” Kyungsoo the first one to asked. All the boys are approaching as well, eager to know about their best friend.

 

“He’s stable now. However he’s still in coma. He need a lot of rest so I pleads everyone to not disturb him. Let’s just pray a lot for him” She explained. 

 

Sehun suddenly pushed Kyungsoo away to confront Rae In. Everyone were stunned when he suddenly grab her right arm, harshly that it make she gasped. “What’s wrong with you Sehun?!” 

 

“DON’T LET HIM DIE!!” 

 

“All the doctors and everyone are trying our best for him” She replied. “We will save him”

 

“YOU SAID THAT YOU WILL MAKE HIM AS NORMAL BEFORE BUT WHY HE STILL LIKE THAT?!! AND YOU DARE CALL YOURSELF A DOCTOR?!!“

 

He burst like nothing could ever stop him at that time. He lost his control, it seems like he even forget that the doctor that he hurt is his wife. His queen that he will never hurt on his own will. Rae In could feel her arm are getting hurt from his tighten grip, but she won’t blame him on that. Kai has explained everything to her about everything. Sehun was still regret of not be able to talk to Baekhyun after their fight the other day, the one that he left the house abruptly. 

 

She wish to wipe away his tears, to vanish his worries on Baekhyun condition, to tell him that she making everything that she could as a doctor to save him. Indeed she is. Even though she wasn’t the one who perform the surgery on him, she’s using her powers in the hospital to call all the experts, the best surgeons in Seoul just to perform that surgery to him. 

 

She was abusing her powers as the Vice President for her own needs, it was totally unacceptable medical ethics but she didn’t care about that. As much as her husband and others want, she want Baekhyun to be save. 

 

He were completely wrecked during the surgery, his intestinal contents were almost coming out from wounds in his abdomen so it was a very complicated situation. He lost a lot amount of bloods and he died two times in the operation room but they brought him back. They didn’t give up on him, they didn’t give up on him at all for the entire 16 hours of the surgery. He made it. 

 

Rae In softened at his tearful face. “He will be fine, Sehun. Trust me” She reached out her hand for him. 

 

“You are lying! He should be awake now!” Sehun pushed her hand away. Still sobbing uncontrollably. 

 

“Listen to me!” She hold his face tightly. Staring at his eyes. “He. Will. Be. Fine. If you can’t trust me as your wife, then trust me as a doctor” 

 

Sehun was snapped at her statement. But before he able to reply her, Suho already dragged him away. If no one dare to pull him away, then the oldest member had to play his role to calm him down. 

 

“I’m sorry on behalf of him” Chanyeol trying to make things better by apologizing to Rae In. “I hope you understand his condition” 

 

She sigh but still remains calm, considering that her husband must have a hard time too. “It’s okay. Do you guys want to see Baek right now?” 

 

“Can we?” Kai couldn’t hide his excitement. He knew that he shouldn’t be that happy, but he just wanted to see his best friend face. 

 

Rae In let them to see Baekhyun, but restrict it to only two person at one time. When they walk in, both Chanyeol and Kai let out their frustration sigh as soon as they saw the laying body of their friend in front of them. A boy that once be the most energetic, cheerful guy that always be the group joker-man, a happy vitamin is helplessly unconscious with various of medical aids machine attached to him. 

 

How they wish that all of this didn’t happened to him and how they wish they could see Baekhyun be healthy just like before. No one could describe on how they felt right now, on how their heart broken when they heard about his accident. At that moment nothing are more important than being sympathies with the sufferings of their best friend, and stay till the end.

 

When everything went worst, they are the people who stand by him without even flinching a bit, all of them. They are more than to call as his best friends. EXO are his family. And a family will never leave a family behind. They are all they have to get us through this life and they are the only things from this world that they could hope to see in the next.

 

“Dude wake up. You promise me that you will defeat me in bowling match” Chanyeol spoke to him as everything is normal. 

 

He added, “I probably regret saying this but I will buy you that customize Skittles machine that you want and put it in our office”

 

“Baek......” His voice almost turned into whispers, voice shattering in holding tears. “Why are you keep quiet? You never been this silent Baek”

 

Kai had to in and hold his friend. “Chanyeol.....”

 

“I missed him, Kai. I missed him so fcking much”

 

Kai didn’t wait long before taking Chanyeol closer and hug him. He knew exactly how he felt, it same for everyone. They all missed him. But as for now, the only thing they could do is to give each other support, and pray so that Baekhyun will be fine. 

 

“We have to be strong for him....we have to” Unknowingly, Kai also failed to keep his tears from falling down. 

 


 

While Chanyeol been comforted and showered with Kai affection, which probably the first time that he ever received from that man, Sehun already got his first punch from the leader of the group. It was happened when Suho dragged him away from Rae In at the ICU earlier. To prevent him to speak nonsense again. 

 

Along the way Sehun didn’t stop at his groaning, but to keep continue with his regretful remarks about his best friend condition. He started to put the blame on himself for everything, regretting every single words that he intentionally hurt Baekhyun during their latest argument. The worst part when he’s trying to connect everything together. Including putting his wife as one of the factor, like they only got into fight because of her. 

 

That’s when Suho couldn’t hold his anger anymore and let his fist landed on his own best friend face. “If this could make you realize, I don’t even regret that I punched you!” 

 

“What the fck hyung?!” Sehun could feel the pain on the side of his face. 

 

They said that there are three stages when a man trying to solve problems with each other. First one, they talked. Second stage— well they skip and go straight to the last stage which is, using their fist. It is the simplest way when words are no longer useful. Irrelevant as it is, but it worked in some other way. Even though sometimes it just could lead to another fight. 

 

Sehun pale face has obviously made the bruise visible. A mark that his hyung could probably proud of, he sure that this youngest member of EXO will be in pain for few days. Luckily, Sehun didn’t punch him back at his pretty face. Well, he still thinking that using his fist towards someone that he respect is not a good decision. 

 

“If you both done with so called self reflecting, then how about a hug?” They both had to look up for the voice, who obviously being sarcastic at his remarks. 

 

“Kyungsoo, this is not funny” Suho said firmly. Remind to the man in front of him that he wasn’t in the mood for a lame joke. 

 

“And do I look like I’m in a mood for fun?” Kyungsoo maintained his expressionless face but with a slight concern in him. “For the God sake, our friend are battling with his life upstairs but you both are fighting over each other? Seriously?” 

 

If his real intentions is to make those two getting back on a good term, then guess that he have already succeeded. They broke the silent between them and surprisingly Sehun was the the first one to make move and said sorry to Suho. He admitted his fault, saying that he’s in the messed state and shouldn’t said that in front of his own wife. 

 

Not only that, the other members who later come and join them reassured him that Baekhyun accident definitely not his fault. That everything already written by God, and that they should only focus on their sick friend instead of looking for another trouble. Xiumin already said it for twice on that day, that he don’t want another fight between EXO, well at least not at this moment. They need to be together, because brothers don’t let each other wander in the dark alone.

 

“Remember that 5 years ago accident, during winter?” Chen recalled back their moments together. “Sehun made a snowman and Baekhyun knocked it down....”

 

“I was so into Frozen at that time” Sehun couldn’t help but to laugh when he thought about the silly things he made with them before.

 

Chanyeol immediately remembered that. “He got really mad and knocked him down but then the next hour we saw them having a warm chocolate together”

 

“And not even asking us to join” Kyungsoo smiles, but then it slowly faded when he noticed that something is missing. “......It wouldn’t be fun without him” 

 

As if their switch has been , their face automatically changed to the sorrowful mood. They had to admit that no matter how much they’re trying to be strong, hiding their worries and sadness, they still couldn’t stop thinking about Baekhyun. Especially when it comes to they sit together in a group, they could feel the emptiness. 

 

Sehun could feel the heaviest steps that he took when he come to the ICU room, to visit Baekhyun. For the times that he’s been admitted there, he never once step on that room due to the guilty that he felt before, that he thought he should blame himself for not be able to apologize to him. Only to monitor him from the transparent glasses that separated him with the closest person in his group. 

 

He took his right hand, where the IV drips are attached and hold it tight. He remember that this the hand that always tapped on his shoulder, telling him that he should lowering his ego. That he told him before that his ego could lead to a big troubles in future, which Sehun has to said that it was indeed true. Being in his denial state, he never realized that Baekhyun been telling him the truth all this while. 

 

Never in a million years that he would trade his friendship with him for anything. Sehun might never express his gratitude for Baekhyun help all this while, but he really love him. Not only as a best friend but also as a brother.

 

“Why did I do to deserve a friend like you Baekhyun?” he asked. “I don't deserve it. I've never done anything for you”

 

Having him as his best friend itself is a tremendous thing. He remembered that for these amazing 7 years, his friend right here who helped him a lot with Rae In. But the last time they talked to each other, Sehun once again accused him of having a feeling towards his wife. “I’m so sorry, Baekhyun...”

 

“For everything.....” His last words suddenly stopped, when he felt a movement from the hand that he hold. His tears were sheds immediately and he rushed to call the doctor in charge. Baekhyun has finally awake. 

 

The news has bringing the joy to everyone as it was the most awaited thing that they wanted to hear, that their friend has finally awake. Baekhyun woke up with a good condition, even though his body are still sore from the coma but luckily he’s fine. And for the first time in a few days, the boys felt so relieved and able to go back home without any worries. Baekhyun has passed the critical phase, that should be more than enough for everyone. 

 

Her steps are getting slower at the sight of a man that waiting in front of her office. She didn’t expect it but she doesn’t want the person to leave. “Sehun?” She called him. 

 

While everyone has gone home and getting their rest after camping in the hospital for days, Sehun left alone at the hospital corridor. He waiting for someone. With Baekhyun case, he have learned something. That we will only appreciate that person presence only when they’re not with us. It makes he realized that, he should fix his problem. 

 

He didn’t say anything, only to stand still with his eyes softly stares at her. Tears starting to form, showing his emotion. He has been missing him too much. That he thought it could almost make him suffocate. He shouldn’t hesitate on his move. That’s because Rae In felt the same way as he is. As a proof, she didn’t wait long before pulling him into a comforting hug. 

 

“I’m sorry. I really meant it. I’m so sorry Rae In” He nuzzles his face on the crook of his neck, inhaling her scent that he could never forget. “I promise you that I will never leave you but I was the one who broke it”

 

Still sobbing, he didn’t stop at his words. “Just please Rae In, don’t leave.....please stay with me forever baby” 

 

She didn’t care about the possibility of people passing around and saw them in this condition, because as much as he feel the pain of getting apart, she was suffering as well. Rae In longed for him calling her with her pet name again, craved for his soft touch that will make she felt like she is the most expensive possession that he got, she missed everything about her husband, Oh Sehun. 

 

“We will be together forever, I promise” And she stole a kiss from him, which he glad to make it last longer. 

 

“I love you Rae In” He said in between kisses. “I love you so much” 

 

“I love you too Sehun” She said and wipe his remaining tears. “Now Baekhyun is getting better, it’s my turn to take care of you”

 

He just nodded. Agreed that he didn’t feel good for these days and he could feel that he will be falling sick in anytime. He got his wife back, there will be no reason left to not going back home. His favorite place in this world. 

 

“Oh! I forgot to tell you this...” Rae In stopped midway and faced him. “When I met Baekhyun just now, he asked me to tell you that you really look ugly when you crying on his bedside” 

 

“That punk I’m going to—“ Sehun snapped and already had a plan to attack him right away. 

 

“Uh-uh no babe. He’s too tired and had lost so much energy. I’ve given him medicine, he wouldn’t get up from sleep not until the next 10 hours” She said. Sehun already disappointed that he can’t smack his best friend right away. “I’m warning you to not disturb my patient! Do you hear that Mr Oh?” 

 

“Alright, Dr Oh! I got it!” He winked and continue to tighten his grip on his wife waist, walking together to leave the place. 

 

“So happy that I got my boolster back” He winked.

 

 

 

 

 

 

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT THE LAST CHAPTER LOL

 

A/N: I made this chapter focusing on more into friendship theme and since it will be few chapters before the end, this chapter will the be the last sad scene in this story (well I just feel bad for making everyone feel sad anymore) hehe so please anticipate for the next chapter!