EIGHT

EGOISM

The nurse station in Jung Hospital was buzzing as their VIP patient rushed to the emergency room. It’s none other than Jung Rae In the only heiress to Jung Group, who owns several building and this hospital is her late grandfather possession, one of their hospital in South Korea. Jung Hospital is one of the most luxurious private hospital that give you a full services at the best.

 

“Relax dude. She will be fine. She just fainted after all” Chen said to Sehun.

 

“Yeah it’s easy to say when its not your fcking wife in the ER hyung!” Sehun couldn’t control his anger. 

 

“Language Sehun! This is hospital guys not just any random place to fight” Suho shakes his head is disagreement with them.

 

For the whole time Sehun wandered aimlessly through the hallway of the department seeking any form of distraction. He couldn't think of anything but his unconscious wife. His worried face slowly faded as the doctor who’s in charge of his wife told him that she was fine and placed in the VIP ward for further treatment. Rae In didn’t diagnose with any chronic disease that requires surgery or stuff, it just a high fever. According to the doctor that treated her, she only have a low blood pressure and the stress make it worst for her body to cope. 

 

Being hospitalized in her own family hospital gave a lot of benefits to them. She got her own spacious ward at the top floor of the hospital - with a balcony outside the room with a magnificent view of Seoul city. She have the whole room to herself. Thus, all the visitors can just simply stay there without getting cramps with the medical equipment and stuff. It even have a mini living hall and extra single bed for guest to sleep. EXO been there since earlier to accompany Sehun, who’s probably didn’t get any rest at all. His waiting finally ended when after few hours, Rae In wake up. 

 

‘Am I in heaven? What happened to me?’ She said to herself when she saw the unfamiliar view. 

 

It was the smell that hit her first. It was a sterile, antiseptic and very distinctive medical smell, a smell with a hint of blood or anything related that she couldn’t recalled. Disturbing as it was, Rae In wasn’t necessarily shocked. It was a hospital, after all. Just like schools had a tendency to smell like chalk dust and sweat and cafeteria meat, just like auto shops stank of gasoline, hospitals had an odour reflecting their whole purpose. 

 

“You are just fine Rae In. Don’t worry I’m here” Sehun said, squeezing her hand and kissing her forehead. 

 

It's not every day you wake up with an IV drip attached on your hand and a husband by your side of the uncomfortable hospital bed. It’s like the medicine that she’s took before do a magic to her, all the pain slowly faded and her displeased on her husband also slowly cured. All her anger and disappointment on him has back to zero when she saw his sincere eyes worried about her. She know that he genuinely care. Even though she didn’t fully trusted him but at least for now, at this moment, in this hospital, she want to enjoy her time with Sehun.

 

The room that once felt so quite has become more alive. Sehun family has come visit and EXO are still there as well. They started their lame joke to cheer up Rae In. It works since she finally laughed and it makes Sehun relived to see the she’s having a good time after a while. 

 

“Sehun, I’m hungry” Rae In voice was so slow that it almost turns into whispering. 

 

“What you want to eat baby? Just tell me and I’ll get it for you” 

 

“Jajjangmyun and.....bubble milk tea” 

 

He didn’t wait any longer to drag EXO along with him getting out of the room to give Rae In more time to rest. His family also has left, leaving her alone on the bed.  She was supposed to get some rest but her body has become numb from too much of sleeping earlier. She decided to sit at the chair by the window, enjoying the view. This hospital wasn’t a foreign place to her, all this while she was here for weeks take care of her sick mother. 

 

All the structure of the hospital has been memorized by her, by how chaos the ER will be, the never stop ambulance sirens in the lobby, she used to all of this. One of the fascinating a hospital can be is there’s two types of people; those who are in a huge hurry and those who are too slow to get out of their way. She always wanted to be a doctor, with her mind on to help people who’s in need. But her father never approves it and insists her to take a business major as a preparation to take over their business one day. 

 

She was in her deep thought when suddenly the phone on the nearest table beep, a sign of incoming message. It was Sehun, apparently he forgot his to bring out his phone. She tried her best not to bother about the notifications but of course, a woman instinct (well most of it) can never denied the desire to check it out. 

 

Sehun, I just need to see you for one last time. Please I’m begging you - Seolla.

 

Rae In let out a long sigh. 

 

She probably have the best foods that any patient could get right now. She only ordered for a jajjangmyun but being Sehun he always wanted the best for his wife. So he bought other foods such as topokki, spicy chicken stew, and chicken cutlet with extra side dishes such as kimchi and radish to feed Rae In. 

 

“Are you kidding me Oh Sehun? I never saw a sick person can eat such this much” 

 

“Hey I just want you to have the best okay? Come on I’ll help you to finish it!”

 

Later at night, Sehun took her to stroll around the hospital garden to have a fresh air. He slowly push her wheelchair forward, make a way to nearest bench there. They sit next to each other enjoying each other presence under the moon. It was the brightest in the month. Its been awhile since they have a proper conversation among each other. For these past week of the cold relationship, both of them missed a lot of important things to talks about. But none of them dare to says anything about the other girl that has become the cause of their marriage conflicts. 

 

Rae In made a brave move by placing her head into Sehun lap, settling herself comfortable lying there. She been battling with herself whether to do it or not. It is awkward enough for her to make the first move. It almost shocked him as she never shown this side of her especially after their fight for these past week. As much as she missed his touch, Sehun craved for the same thing too. It was soft and warm - just like she thought it will be. She took a moment to stares directly into his beautiful eyes before reaching her hand to softly touch his cheek. 

 

“Thank you Sehun, for being here with me”

 

“Anything for you baby. I’m sorry for everything. I really am” He changed the direction of his eyes, unable to looks her. 

 

“Hey look at me Sehun. You are the best husband for me. I’m sorry too. I promise that you will be happy after this” 

 

She tilted his head, forcing their eyes to meet and not long after that their distances are getting closer until their lips touched. Enjoying each other taste. The night getting cold and Rae In has requested for him to take her back to her room. She told him to get back to their apartment to change and get some rest since he’s been here since beginning. He need some rest too. 

 

“Are you sure you don’t want me to sleep here Rae In? There’s even an extra bed in this room”

 

“Hey it’s okay. You go back and rest. I need to sleep too. Without any distraction especially from you, Oh Sehun”

 

“Alright alright I got it. Take care Rae In. Give me a kiss before I leave” He playfully smirk at her. 

 

“One last kiss, Oh Sehun. Last kiss”

 

After she has closed the door behind the last visitor, Rae In leans her head slightly against the wall until she feels the cold touch of its surface and blinks several times, as dazzled. Her right hand is sore and her lips are swollen from so much kissing. Slowly, tears drop from her eyes. People said that love can sometimes be magic. But magic can sometimes just be an illusion. For her, Sehun is the most precious illusion that she ever had. She need to let go of the illusion and carry on with the reality. 

 

As much as she love Sehun, she have to let him go to pursue his happiness with the one that he truly love. The person is not her, its Seolla. He can’t choose either one so Rae In decide to made a decision for him. She’ll be the one who leave. Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it.

 

‘Goodbye Oh Sehun’ Rae In last note. 

 


 

It’s been two months since Rae In left him in the hospital. Her phone number was inactive, she wasn’t there at her family house and she even dropped her business studies in SNU. There is no traces of her at all. Sehun had been at his worst during his wife absence. He totally lost his focus on his degree, only to sort out where is Rae In could be. He remembered the day that he went to hospital to meet her, with bouquet of flowers only to disappoint by an empty bed and a note that she wrote. By the time he reached the room, she was gone.

 

To my husband Sehun, 

I’m sorry that our ending have to be like this. I want you to know that you are the best that happened in my life and I never regret every single minutes that we spend together. I hope that when I leave, there is no more barrier for you to be with someone you love. I always wanted the best for you. Take care and have a good life. Goodbye, Oh Sehun.

-Jung Rae In

 

Sehun always put all the blames in him for everything. If only he could turns back time, he surely will use it to treat his wife better. It is true what people have said that we will only appreciate that person when he/she gone. He regret every single bad things that he had done to her, he wish that he still can express his feelings towards Rae In. Screw all those ego he have, he just want her to know that he love her more than everything. Only her, the only women in his heart. 

 

“I don’t want you to loose your hope son. I believe that one day you will find her back” His mother reassured him.

 

“I know but when omma? When?! I’m tired to live in this misery. I just— I need my wife back omma” 

 

“Look Sehun you shouldn’t be like this. Please my little brother. Rae In would be sad to see you like this. Here, take this ‘cutie’ and go somewhere. You need to clear out your mind” His sister told him.

 

Sehun sigh. Since Rae In had left, Sehun decided to stay with his family. He willing to travel back and forth to his campus as long as he didn’t have to live in the apartment alone. The house itself have so many memories with her, every single details in the house will remind Sehun of his wife. Its not that he want to forget her, it just so painful for him. He missed her so bad but he had no idea where she is. Once in awhile EXO will crush to his family home to hang out with Sehun. They also help him to find Rae In using every single information and connection that they could used but nothing happened. 

 

The cemetery complex was rather quiet on her visit. The last time she went here is during preparation of her wedding, when Sehun surprised by bringing her here. He said that they should get her mother blessing as well for their marriage. Carries a bouquet of lily flowers on her hand, she slowly put it down to her late mother grave. Is it irony that she brought the flowers that associated with a funeral to visit her late mother grave? No matter what the meaning behind the flowers is, she always remembered that it used to be his mother favorite. She once told her that lily could means royalty, rebirth, and purity. 

 

“Hi omma. I’m sorry for not coming earlier. How are you? Your daughter is having her good life as always, oh maybe not the best but I’m adjusting myself well”

 

The summer breeze brushed past her sundress as she walked down the park. She was tired along the journey back by the KTX rides from visited her late mother earlier. Rae In to walk in the nearby the park to have a fresh air. For these two months her routine will be the same, its either painting or study for her new degree course. She now living in a studio apartment near to her mother art gallery, in Daegu. It’s a good place for her when she just needed a peaceful town to stay for this moment, to be apart from the busiest Seoul city. Indeed, Daegu is a perfect place where nature and modernity collide. 

 

She sat on the bench under the tree enjoying her moment alone. The park was quiet during the weekdays and the atmosphere is suitable to relaxing your mind. She close her eyes ready to take a nap but a sound of dog barking around interrupted her. The fluffy puppy that she believed from a bichon breeds, is now staring at her from her the ground. 

 

“Awww you’re cute! Why are you lonely puppy ah— let’s see if I can know your name from the dog tag” She ruffles the puppy hairs.

 

“Vivy—- his name is vivy” A sound of a man from behind surprised her. 

 

Rae In hair stood on end, a shiver raced down her spine and a lump came to . It was him, the owner of the voice that she heard, it is very familiar. Sometimes it's easy to forget how much you miss people until you see them again.

 

“Oh Sehun—-“

 


 

Three hours drive from Seoul is really worth it for Sehun. He never expect to meet his wife in this town. Out of all places that he labored all his efforts to find her, never once come cross in his mind to bumped into her at this day. The day that he almost give up. It just a random decision he made to go on road trip to Daegu, with a puppy with him. Vivy is having his good time around the park and that’s when it surprise him when he saw a figure of Rae In, playing with the puppy. 

 

“Vivy? I thought that he is she. Your new pet?”

 

“Nah. My sister puppy. He’s so feminine that she have to name it like that”

 

“Ah— I see”

 

A ‘hello again’ after the final goodbye is sometimes harder than just keeping the goodbye as it was. This unexpected reunion was so awkward. It’s just not a normal thing to go to park and suddenly we sit besides the person that we left before. She took a glance at Sehun, he looks nervous as much as she is but with relieved on his face. She wonder how he’s been doing for these months that she wasn’t there by his side. Did he look for her? Did he eat well? All the questions been played in her heads the whole times since the day that she decided to step out from his life.

 

“How are you Rae In?” Sehun the first one to broke the silent. 

 

“I’m good. How about you? Did you eat well? You look skinnier than before Sehun” She slightly touch his side of face, staring into him with concerns.

 

“Oh— I’m sorry Sehun. I didn’t mean to touch you like that—“

 

She said when noticed that she just unknowingly caressed his face for awhile. She was so ashamed of what she did and quickly remove her hand. 

 

“I missed you so much” He said while stopping her hand from moving away. 

 

“I felt like my life been in hell when you gone Rae In. It was so miserable that I thought I should’ve just died. The day in the hospital, Seolla texted me. I know you read that. She met me just to tell that she’s going to China. She’s going to stay with Lay hyung and others. I told her that I can’t be with her because the only person that I love is you, Jung Rae In” 

 

Sehun exhaled everything to clear out things. It’s been awhile since he wait to tell her everything but he never got the chance.

 

“Sehun wait— Hey let’s take things slowly okay? Want to walk me back to my house?”

 

It’s amazing to walk around at night. Especially with someone you love walking by your side. At that moments, they felt as the entire world seems different. The silence is soothing as they made their way back to her apartment. The driveway was rather quiet at that time with everyone has gone back to their place to get some rest before resume their daily routine the next day. 

 

She walks a little bit faster leaving Sehun in a few steps. Without her consent, he already took out his iPhone secretly taking her photos. He saved it as a visual keepsake of their romantic walk that he can cherish forever. A walk on a clear night where the stars are clearly visible, shining trough out the night. But for him there is another star that outstanding the most, in front of him.

 

“We’ve arrived. Thanks— for walking me back home” 

 

“Sure. Have a good rest. Goodnight”

 

“Goodnight Sehun. Goodnight Vivy. Be safe on your journey back to Seoul”

 

“Hey wait— can i visit you again?”

 

“Of course you can. I’m promise that I won’t be running around anymore”

 

He smiled while watching Rae In get into her apartment. The day has finally ended and he need to go back to Seoul. He didn’t mind if he have to take a 45 minutes train or three hours drive to Daegu for her. Someone that he promised to himself that he will never let go. 

 

“Come on Vivy. Time to get home” He pat the puppy head before start his journey.

 


 

Early in the morning the art gallery has opened the door for the visitors. The gallery was inherited to Rae In by her late mother, who was the first owner of this art gallery. She always went to her mother others gallery back in Seoul but she never knew this place existed until she met with one of the worker. She was told that her mother secretly opened another gallery in Daegu, her birth place. It was first built as the non-profitable art gallery for public before it turns into a place to buy paintings for charity purpose.

 

Rae In wasn’t a painter or art maker. She didn’t know anything about canvas, all types of brushes or even the variation of colors used but instead she can be categorized into someone who’s just know how to appreciate art. For these two months that she’s been here, she’s in charge of marketing to promote the paintings to the public and to find the charity event that needs a fund. Using her business knowledge in SNU for almost two years, she voluntarily help the art gallery to grow. 

 

“Unnie, let’s display the new painting up in this section. Is that okay?” Rae In said to her co-worker.

 

Sehun watch his wife with full of admiration. He steps into the art gallery but for him her existence itself is a piece of art. She is pretty, nothing can compare to her appearance. But the importantly is her passion. He saw how she determined on decision that she made, and once she made up, she will do her best. He always thought that she is so clever and very focus on her studies despite her lonely life in campus. But today he saw another side of Rae In. She is so hardworking and humble at the same time even though she was born into a rich family. He couldn’t be more proud than that. 

 

“Hey sir. Welcome to our art gallery! May I help you?” A woman probably in her mid 30s approach him. 

 

“Ah, it’s okay Hana unnie. I can take it from here. This visitor is someone special to me” She smiled. 

 

Rae In couldn’t hide her excitement as soon as she saw Sehun in the art gallery. She just met him two days before and she didn’t expect him to come back soon. 

 

“Aww someone special? I felt so honored Jung Rae In”

 

“You are special because you are my first ever visitor that related to me! Well congrats!” He noticed sarcasm in her words.

 

She took him for a tour around the art gallery explained each of the painting meaning which something that he couldn’t concentrate at all. Well said, everyone knows that Oh Sehun and art didn’t mix well. 

 

“Ugh Sehun. At least show a little excitement about these paintings”

 

“I don’t know how. All I could see is just a mix of colors in one canvas!” 

 

“Yeah yeah I should expect that from you”

 

“Rae In, why you choose art?”

 

“Because for me art and love are the same thing. It's the process of seeing yourself in things that are not you. It also enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time. You wouldn’t understand it. Come on let’s get some coffee outside. This place totally wasn’t for you” She sigh and drag Sehun out.

 

“Have fun on your date lovebirds!” Hana the co-worker shouted at the back.

 

They went for a brunch in the coffee house in front the art gallery. They are not that awkward compare to the other day the met, they can comfortably talks to each other just like they used to do before. At first, Rae In had mix opinions about getting back with Sehun. She thought that all her efforts to move on by leaving him will be in vain if she just treat him friendly as usual. But a part of her just tell her to screw everything she had decide before and to enjoy this moment with him. 

 

“I’m changing my major to medical. I never tell you this but I always wanted to be a doctor. I will start my new degree semester soon in Seoul Medical University. I’m a bit late to get started again but yeah I think that’s the best for me” 

 

“I’m proud of you Rae In. You stood out for what you think the best for yourself and I think that is the coolest thing ever. I’ll support you. Fighting!”

 

“I’m changing myself for a better, Sehun. For me, for everyone and for you. I determined to be a better Jung Rae In”

 

Indeed, she was determined. Rae In has promised herself to be someone better. Someone that she could be proud and that is one of the reason why she left, she want to come back to Sehun as someone stronger and he could be proud to call as his wife. Well she shouldn’t be worry about that because he did it already. He is proud enough of his wife. Not only that, she started engage herself with others as to improve her social skills. She don’t want to be the introvert anymore and that’s why she learn how to treat people more nicely. Goodbye, ice princess.

 

The biggest decision of her life is to change her major from business studies in SNU to medical studies in SMU. She had gathered all her spirit and met her father to talk about this. She was scared for sure but she need to overcome it. It almost gave her father a heart attack when she said that she quit her studies. After a long discussion her father finally agreed but only to said that she can only be a doctor at the Jung Hospital and have to take over the medical business line. Once a heiress, she will always be heiress. 

 

“I can’t believe that you willing to travel from Seoul just to meet me Oh Sehun. We have technology these days. You know that you just can call or FaceTime me right?”

 

“I’m more than willing to do anything for you Rae In. I need you in my life”

 

“You can always find someone else Sehun. Someone better than me” 

 

“At the end of the day, what the hell does it matter who I end up with if it can’t be you?”

 

“You— did you ever thought about me when you alone?”

 

“Your memory feels like home to me Rae In. So whenever my mind wanders, it always finds it’s way back to you”

 

“Me too Sehun. Me too”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: I think the plot is somehow too fast, is it? Well I’m supposed to make this as another sad/angst chapter but I don’t want to torture my readers anymore so hey let’s just enjoy this okay? Btw happy 6th anniversary EXO!