TWO

EGOISM

Sehun wake up a bit early. It only eight in in morning and he know that the silence in the house is normal. Rae In will not going to wake up early if she didn’t have class and Sehun was more than aware of that. She’s not a morning person and he didn’t want to mess up with the grumpy lion.

 

He saw there are few books scattered at the table of living room together with Apple Macbook - his gift for her during their wedding. Rae In must stay up late last night doing her assignment and forgot to shut down the notebook, he thought. His face lit up when he saw the screen saver of the notebook. Their wedding picture. Today he went out with a wide smile on his face.

 

Last night he received a text from his group chat saying that they will have breakfast together at Kyungsoo house today. Even though he didn’t like the idea to gather around early in the morning, he have to do it for his gang. Once his brothers tell him to go, he need to be there. By hook or by crook. They were not related by blood, but their bond are beyond friendship level. The boys are the ones with him through ups and downs, the one that understands him besides his family. EXO are dynamic. They have those members that are super loud and hyper but they also got the members that will tone down the chaotic.

 

“Guys, what if we go to the beach this week?” Chen suggested.

 

Luckily he remembered that he already had a plan. “Sorry Chen hyung. I have plan already. Next time?”

 

“Sehunnie why are you so busy lately? It’s not that you are tied with a girlfriend or something” 

 

He gulp at Chanyeol sudden statement but simply reply with a smile. He then tell them that he have a family meet up this weekend, which is true. He wonder what will their reaction if they know that he is married. Especially to the girl that they know well - Jung Rae In. Sometimes they always argue on this things whether to tell EXO the real truth or not. She is familiar to EXO as well so Sehun thought that it will not be a problem for her. But she always disagrees on that, saying that it will only draw their attention more into her and she hates that. 

 


 

He was surprised as soon as he enter their home. His so called wife at the kitchen startled as well. Didn’t expect Sehun will be out there at this hour. Usually on every Thursday he will wake up late since he only have a class on late afternoon. Living together for six months has enough for both of them to know each other schedule. They agreed on not to meddling to text or give a call to ask their whereabouts every time - it’s enough for them to know their limits that they are married and not to cause any trouble. Simply because they didn’t want to mess with their family.

 

“What? Stop staring at me like that” Sehun stopped his tracks once he enter their house when he saw his wife at the kitchen, with her pyjama. 

 

“I’m not staring, Oh Sehun. It just amazed to saw you wake up early this morning. It’s Thursday anyway” Rae In was being sarcastic.

 

“You too. Are you suddenly having a breakfast now or what?” 

 

Sehun might be not a good husband enough. But he knows well about his wife. Rae In will never have her breakfast unless for a cup of coffee or tea. She also hates sport. They always argue whenever he changed tv channel to sport show. She wasn’t a picky on her foods but she always put aside seafood because she’s allergic to it. One of the reason that Sehun will choose chicken pizza instead of seafood pizza whenever they order it.

 

He wasn’t that type of guy that will wish you good morning every day, or asking on how your day goes, he don’t know how to do that. All kind of romantic things wasn’t his nature. He simply just watch her and if she shows up with different moods, he already knows that something bothers her. He didn’t care much about her at the beginning, but slowly build down his walls for her. At least he’s being nice - one of the question that he kept asking himself. Why he keep doing that to her.

 

“I cook lunch for us earlier than usual because I have to leave early for my substitute class at 12” She said while remove her apron from her body. She was done with all the cookings.

 

“You don’t have to cook for me if you are in hurry okay?” He meant what  he said, Sehun did not wish for Rae In to go all out only for him.

 

As always, she will refuse it, “And you know that I’m still going to do that right?”

 

“Yeah yeah you’re stubborn as hell, Rae In” 

 

He sat at the kitchen counter watching her cook. Sehun was more than grateful to have her as his arranged wife. But he will never admit that. His wife shouldn’t even know about his feelings. Even though he knows before that she is cold person but she didn’t act like brat in front of him. They are too cold to be pointed as the romantic couple but she never failed to do her job as a wife. She know that Sehun didn’t regard her as his real wife but she’s doing this as part of her responsibility. She will cook for them, clean the house or even wash his clothes. She didn’t need attention from him, for her it enough for her to receive a simple ‘thank you’ every time.

 

He was an when they first met for their arrangement. They knew each other before in university, but they never know that parents are business partners in real life. It happened in Jung family house. They was shocked at time, when told that both of them are going to be engaged during the tea party. Being a rebellious kid at that time, he stormed off the living hall to drag Rae In outside. He was beyond mad to his family. Sehun just yelled at her said she was nowhere close to his ideal type to be his wife. But she was expressionless. Nothing that she could replied.

 

“! Say something girl! Don’t you hate getting pairs up with someone you don’t know?!” He yelled at her.

 

“I hate it” The fact that she said it without any expression made him more furious.

 

He his hair backward frustratedly. “Damn it can you just give me cooperation instead of being this stupid?! At least give me some reaction!” 

 

“Yes I’m such a stupid” This girl is crazy, he thought.

 

“God what’s wrong with you! Just tell your parents that we are not going to get married to each other! Tell them that you disagree”

 

“I can’t. I can’t do that”

 

“WHY?!!!” At this point, he might go nuts dealing with her.

 

“Because my dad is going to kill me”

 

That’s the moment that Sehun realized that this world didn’t only revolve around him but also others. Rae In is such a strong women in his eyes. She never cry, even for once. Not even during her mother funeral. She was there stood beside her mother grave with a white lily in her hands. Her mother favorite flower. Everyone has left, but she refused. Sehun was there watched his fiancée. Saw her being expressionless made his tiny heart aches. He can’t just let her like that. He wasn’t sure whether he made a right thing at that time but all he want is just to being there for her.

 

He came closer and hug her to comfort Rae In. She didn’t said anything, knowing that at least someone care about her at that time. They opened up to each other for the first time and that the time Sehun found out that her mother died due to depression, cause by her abusive father. Physical and mentally abuse - she used to it. And that day also became the day that Rae In begged him to stay, while Sehun more than willingly to promise that he will never leave her.

 

“I don’t care if you can’t love me but please just don’t leave me Sehun” She pleads.

 

“Shhh Rae In....I promise that I will stay” He whispered it slowly to comfort her.

 

Three months after her mother passed away, Jung Rae In got married to one of the popular guys in her campus, Oh Sehun. As much as she hate the idea, she couldn’t do anything to fight her father decision. It was all decided for her. The only way to escape from her evil father is to get attached with Sehun.

 

During five months of engaged, the times that they spend together can be count by fingers. Their story aren’t that romantic as other couple. They met through their family and everything is arranged. Rae In still remember her fiancé bitter face when he found out that she was the chosen one.

 

Their wedding is simple and attended by their family. Since they decided to keep this marriage secret, Sehun didn’t invite EXO and as for Rae In she didn’t have to invite her friend since she don’t have any. Sehun looking so fine at the altar with his black tuxedo waiting for his soon to be wife.

 

He didn’t need to say much about Rae In that day - she was indeed beautiful and he already noticed that since the first time he looks into her, first girl ever that dare to grab him by his collar. They changed their vows and the moment the priest announced that they are married, everything suddenly became so real. And Rae In realized that she couldn’t back off anymore when Sehun leaned in to kiss her.

 

Her very first kiss.

 


 

Grab her pair of Vans, she sprints as fast as she can to the campus. She was late to the class. Thanks to Sehun who didn’t wake her up this morning. Usually he will do that in case Rae In forget her alarm but unfortunately, he overslept today. Being a gentleman, he offers her for a ride. But as usual she declined it afraid that everyone will see them together. While every girl dream would be riding a sport car drive by a very handsome rich guy to campus, she’s here just turned down the chance. That is Jung Rae In, being opposite from how typical girl would be.

 

"God dammit I forgot my book!"

 

She made her way to the locker but stopped by a group of girls. By only looking at them it make her feel disgusted. Those ‘fck off from my oppa’ faces are too pretty to be punch. She would do that do them, but they wouldn’t worth for her fists. Telling other girl to back off from their crush - aren’t that only happens in high school? That’s why she despises most of the uni girls. They are just too stupid.

 

Rae In used to this kind of treatment in the campus. Being the only girl that EXO cares, she received a lot of stares and hates. But today it was different, she got a threatened letter in her locker. It was directly told her to back off from Sehun or her life will be miserable as hell. It’s weird since nobody know about her relationship with Sehun. Even in campus, they all knew that these two are too good to be together. They rarely have interaction compare to the other EXO.

 

She made her way to the lecture hall and all heads turn to her as soon as she open the door. Despite of hearing all those people whispering bad words to her, she managed to get a seat at the edge of the hall. Nobody cares to sit besides her and she didn’t mind about that. It’s not that she would make effort to have a friend, she’s here to study not to associate with people. Later, she found out that there are rumors spread said that she’s a .

 

EXO, they all heard about it. They are so furious especially Baekhyun and Chanyeol. Rae In is one of purest girl that they ever meet, they are not that close but enough for them to know that she wasn’t like that. They knew that she always being outcast but this is the first time they saw that she’s being bullied.

 

“Stop spreading the rumors about Jung Rae In or you guys will never saw any of EXO in the campus anymore!” Baekhyun especially, he felt so annoyed that people trying to talk bad about his friend.

 

“Al—alright Baekhyun sunbaenim”

 

Along the way to the cafeteria, Sehun saw all of it. He saw how the girls pushed Rae In make her fall into the ground, he saw how she make it to stand by herself and leave the place. She was strong, but she’s just a girl. He wish he could be there and help her instead. But he couldn’t, knowing that it will only make thing worse. The fangirls will use that as an excuse to go against her.

 

The classes has ended. Most of students has gone back to their dorms and houses. After the cafeteria incident happened earlier, Sehun didn’t see Rae In at all. This is not normal for him. Usually she will show up to class no matter what happens. Well unless she decides to ditch it.

 

To make it worse, he made several phone calls but there is no respond. Feeling uneasy, he went to her last lecture hall to find Rae In. She wasn’t there. And her fellow classmates told him that she wasn’t around. The last time they saw her is the time before she went to out to the toilet. They passed her bag before they left, in case Sehun will meet her after this.

 

"Where the hell that you been going Rae In?" He unable to stay calm.

 

His worries fades as soon as he saw her walk out from the sport store room. Hell no, he was freak out when he saw her. She was drenched all her clothes are wet. Rae In was locked inside the store after got a text from anonymous. He was so furious at her for believing that. He hope that she will at least pick up his call or tell him beforehand. Luckily there is a store keeper went there and save her. He managed to thanks that person in return. Sehun have a lot to say to her but was cut when she stares at him silently. All she did was nothing but look into his eyes.

 

“Sehun” She called him.

 

He relieved when Rae In finally said something. He’s afraid when she didn’t utter any words before. Sehun well aware that even though she didn’t said thank you to him, but she felt grateful that he found her there. She told him that her clothes are wet because after she got in, a basket of water was poured into her. There’s no one there but she knows someone set her up. Sehun didn’t took any longer before give her his jacket to cover up her see through white blouse that she wear.

 

“Get in my car” His face void nothing but anger.

 

“No Sehun. I’ll just walking. I don’t want anybody to see us” She rejected him.

 

“Nobody is here Rae In. Even if there’s a person, I wouldn’t care. I’m not going to leave you here like this. Now shut the fck up and get into my car!” Unable to find any other excuse, she obeyed him. 

 

The ride was silent. None of them dare to start a conversation. Rae In aware that her husband was mad at her. It wasn’t even her fault that it happened but she knows that she wasn’t supposed to make him worried like this. After her mother left her, she didn’t have anyone else besides Sehun and his family. His father is still alive, but after she got married she move away from his life.

 

Oh family, they are too nice at her especially Sehun. He hate this marriage more than she is, but he stay as he told her in his promise before. She has became his burden since earlier. That became a reason why she felt that she didn’t deserve any love from him. At least not from someone like Oh Sehun.

 

“I'm sorry, Sehun. About the other day at the rooftop too. I shouldn’t burst at you just like that. You know how much I hate when a guy yelled at girl like that. You know it reminds me a lot about my—”

 

“Just shut up Rae In” His respond shut her right away.

 

She’s hurt. The feeling is back. She was used to violence because of her father. His father is a workaholic businessman and her mother works at her own art gallery. Because of his bad temper, he always accused her mother to cheat of him when the reality is not. Her life was controlled and she never have a friend back then.

 

Rae In witnessed every bruise that her mother got whenever they got into fight. She was beaten too sometimes, as a punishment for her wrongdoing. From that moment, she become introvert and hates everybody. Sehun is the second man that appear in her life, even though she scared of man but she trust Sehun because she saw how he genuinely cares about her even though he was forced.

 

The ride that seems longer than usual finally ended. They reached their house and made their way inside. Rae In take her steps towards her bedroom but stopped by Sehun in the hallway. He took her wrist and lead the way to her bedroom. He brought along first aid kid and a towel.

 

She can't deny that his touch are soft and his gaze soothes her. He silently put a bandage at the place she was hurt and took the towel to dried out her hair. It was gentle and almost make Rae In tears fall down. But she was quick to snapped it and pushed Sehun hand right away.

 

“Stop being stubborn will you?” He took both of her hands again. Sehun had so many patience when it comes to his wife.


She was too tired to argue with him. All she need is a peaceful sleep. After done with the first aid kit, Sehun make her body lying down on the mattress. He knows she was too exhausted. He pull the blanket into her and soon after that she fall asleep. He didn’t move right away but choose to stay by her side for awhile. He watch her sleep, feel calm when he saw her soft face.

 

“I’m not mad at you Rae In. Good night”  Before leave, he managed to kiss her forehead. He can only do this when she’s asleep. He cannot let Rae In see this side of him. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Quick question, did I put too much angst in this chapter? Help! I don’t want to make this story into melancholy genre ㅜㅜ 

 

Subscribe so that you won’t miss the update! Thank you :)