FIFTHTEEN

EGOISM

Love isn’t when there is no fights between two— all relationship must have problems, it only to make them stronger. As they said the strength of your relationship is defined by the ability to overcome them, but how is it going to be solved when neither of them willing to break down their own ego.

 

That feeling when Rae In can sense a fight coming on with her partner is when she got that knot in her stomach, her blood starts to boil and her mind races thinking about so many possibilities. She hold into this law in their marriage; which is to never make the one you love feel alone and the important of communication between them. But now, where is her husband? 

 

Two days has passed but he didn’t care to go back home. He did but only when Rae In wasn’t there, purposely to avoid her. She had no idea what’s wrong with their relationship, wonder is it just because of that child issue? Or something else bothered him? Either way, fights that involve lies or this kind of sensitive topic can really be a big problem— even if they're not about huge deceptions, like affairs.

 

She heard a familiar car engine sounds come from the car porch, it only means one thing; Sehun has finally come back home. “Where are you came from?” Rae In asked as soon as he entered their house. 

 

“Have you eat your lunch?” No answer were spoken. He just simply walks passed her, leaving his wife dumfounded just like that.  

 

This is not how Rae In want it to be. They need to talk, to solve the problem arises between them. Giving her the silent treatment, making passive-aggressive jabs or keeping frustration pent up inside himself isn't going to fix whatever is bothering him. Sehun have to talk to her, telling her exactly what he need. 

 

“For God sake Sehun! Talk to me!” She raised her voice. 

 

He keeps packing some clothes into his backpack. “I don’t have anything to say to you” He just come back to get his things. “I’m going out” 

 

“Where did I go wrong?” Rae In let out a heavy sigh, tugging to her husband shirt prevent him for leaving. 

 

“What about you do some self reflection?” He said. “Think about everything Rae In, we need...we need times” Sehun continue to leave their room. 

 

Being in a relationship isn't having someone to read your mind. It's saying what it is you need and want, allowing your partner to know what bother you, what you desire, what pleases you, to really be able to share that. He should at least tell her what’s going on and listen to her explanation. 

 

Tired and disappointed— that’s what she felt right now. Where is Sehun that once promised her not to leave her? To be the most understanding husband and her protector? After 7 years of being together in this marriage, is it the time for him forget everything? Or worst....to leave her? 

 

She scoffed. “So now.......you are going to leave me?” It caught Sehun attention right away. “Perhaps, you have found someone else?”

 

“Excuse me?!” He yelled. “What the hell that you are talking about!” 

 

“Then tell me Sehun! Tell me why are you so mad about!” 

 

“Fine!” He stares into her directly. “I was so damn frustrated! Why? Because everyone been asking me why the hell that I still don’t have a child....7 freaking years Rae In! I waited for that long! Only to found out that you don’t want to have a child with me!” 

 

He added, “All this while after you finished your studies, I kept telling myself that it was fine to wait....maybe it wasn’t our luck yet, or maybe we don’t really healthy to have a child.....but then I found out that you are purposely taking pills not to get pregnant. Tell me how am I supposed to feel right now! Am I really your husband?! Are you that disgusted to have a child with you Rae In?! Tell me!” 

 

“Enough!” Tears started to form in her eyes. “You know that I love you more than everything in my life. More than everything Sehun! Do you still need to question all of that?! There is none of married woman in this world don’t want to get a child with her beloved husband, everyone does!” 

 

“But have you ever ask me why I did that? I come from a broken family Sehun! My dad hate me, my mum died because of depression! Did you know that my dad once told me that my born was a fault! Do you think I’m ready to have a child? How am I supposed to have a child, to give them loves, when me myself wasn’t raised by a love from my own family?!” 

 

“All I need is your support Sehun.....to tell me that I can go through this.......with you” She ended her long explanation.

 

Sehun was speechless. He could felt the pain goes directly to his heart. He couldn’t bear to see his love in this condition. All he wanted is to give her hug, to stop her tears from flowing. 

 

“Just leave” She said. “Go away Sehun! Go away!” 

 

“Look at you! I’m trying to make up things but you chase me away!” He said. “Maybe....you are just giving so many excuses”

 

“Are you trying to say that this is my fault?” She asked, getting furious at him. 

 

None of them trying to make things better but instead pointing out their fingers, to put blame on each other. Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.

 

And his ego defeat him once again, where it diminished all his abilities to listen to his heart— to just forget everything and go to his wife. With a heavy painful heart, he leave the house, again. 

 


 

A kind of day that Sehun get up and he already know that things aren't going to go well. These are the type of moods when he should just give in, cancel his meetings in the office, put his pajamas back on, make some hot black coffee and scroll to his phone in bed with the covers up until the world looks more encouraging.

 

This young CEO, in his late 20s can choose to stay in the luxurious suite room of the most expensive hotel Seoul city ever have, but rather than that, he choose to stay over at his best pals crib. His chosen place was not bad either— a penthouse with a very nice view in one of the top condominium of elite neighborhoods in Cheondamdong. 

 

“Good morning!” The loud voice really made Sehun annoyed. “Another day of not-going-to-work mood?”

 

Sehun moved back and leaned into the bed headboard, looking tired. “Why? Are you going to kick me out from your house now?”

 

“Damn Sehun! How did you know I am going to do that?” Sehun throw the pillows at his direction right away. “Dude that was a joke! Come on, get up. The boys will come in 30 minutes” Kai said. 

 

Sehun surely one of lucky guy on earth to have a back up squad like EXO. The ones that he believe will never turns their back at him, that will stay with each other even when the sky is falling down. Like when he was so desperate of getting a support and most likely a temporary place to stay, they welcome him with an open arms. This brotherhood that he will never trade for anything in this world— that he pray they will be next to him till forever. 

 

Maybe this so called brotherhood aren’t even mens who grew up in the same household as him, but they are incredible friends that he met in his life who have always made his day better, reliable and trustworthy in all circumstances. Sometimes they don’t necessarily have to say anything to each other, with Sehun the most quiet person in their group. They just sit in a room and be together, just be completely comfortable with each other.

 

Kai had called everyone to chill at his place, having a wine session and eat lunch together. Well, thanks to Kyungsoo amazing cooking skills. They did nothing but just play VR games that Xiumin just explored. He way too immersed into the game and excited while playing it, causing a laughter fiesta among the boys who watched him. While everyone having a good time teased the oldest member in the group, Sehun just sat quietly in the couch didn’t even bothered with their business. 

 

They all knew what’s going on with him and his marriage problem. it just no one dare to ask him directly. Until someone decided to break the wall. 

 

“So are you feeling better now?” Chanyeol asked him.

 

“We had the biggest fight ever” Sehun sigh. “I don’t know what to do anymore” 

 

Suho come closer and pat his back. “There’s nothing that can’t be solved in this world. Talk to Rae In nicely”

 

“I did hyung but nothing happened. Rae In and her ego....this is not going to work” Sehun leaned back, his fingers taping on leather material of the couch.

 

“How about yours? Do you ever lose the ego?” Baekhyun asks him. “Yeah...I think so” Sehun admit that every time his wife goes soft with him, his ego flies out the window.

 

Baekhyun didn’t stop at that but keep pushing him with few questions to doubt Sehun, as if it was all his fault. He keep throwing fact that was indeed true, but hard for Sehun to accept it. Like he should be more understanding with Rae In, that he shouldn’t snap at her about this child issue when he’s the first one to agreed to give her more time. 

 

The first two years of their marriage, both of them are still adjusting their life getting tied to each other in this arranged marriage and which they are busy with college life in SNU. It surely not the best time to have a child. Then, the storm that takes over their relationship with the presence of third person in their marriage, the time when Rae In had to run away because of the heartbroken— they start over their new life with she busy with her 5 years medical studies. 

 

It’s all about the perfect timing. As much as Sehun want a child, so as his wife. But he forgot all his promises about being the most understanding husband to her and got blinded when everyone starting to pressure him about the heir issues. Baekhyun advices that night only made Sehun clenched his fist. His anger has rising up from the bottom of his consciousness, triggered when his own best friend didn’t took on his side. 

 

“I don’t get it why you always on her side Baekhyun!” He yelled. “Did you really like my wife?!” 

 

“What the fck Sehun! This is not the first time that you doubt my loyalty!” Baekhyun replied. 

 

He added, “I’m going to married soon Sehun...I thought you already know that I only wanted the best for both of you.....but you don’t trust me” Baekhyun lowered his head in disappointment.

 

The rest of the boys was shocked when suddenly Baekhyun get up from his seat and leaving the house. They look into Sehun, he was miserable as hell. It’s not that they wanted to put all the blame on him but they knew that Baekhyun has the right points in his words. For years, they have been friends with each other and for that long too, they had to tolerated with Sehun ego— which they thought that Rae In has slowly breaking most of it. 

 

“Sehun, if someone corrects you and you feel offended, then I think you really have an ego problem” Suho tapped his shoulder. 

 


 

It was simple— in every story, there are only two different sides. One side is another reason to let go while the other is a reminder of the love that we have promised to give to each other. It is our own decision to either flip it to decide and choose what side we want to look at. Because at the end of the day, we can either focus on what’s tearing us apart or what’s keeping us together.

 

Rae In had enough and she was tired with everything that has happened past days. She wanted to reconciled with her husband, so bad that she already missed him like crazy. But somehow she got herself stuck in the same page. Like as if she was looking for something— to improve what she lack most, just to make Sehun come back to her. Rae In wanted to be the best wife for him and she is putting her best efforts in it. 

 

He didn't call. Rae In had been waiting all week, but he didn't call back. At this point, she didn’t care about anything else but Sehun. Her husband that she waited the most. Forget about whose fault it is, forget about all the ego that they have in themselves. Heck, she just missed him so much. 

 

“Excuse me Miss, may I take your order?” The barista asked her again. “Miss, hello? Miss?” 

 

Realized that she had been daydreaming at the counter for awhile, Rae In clear . “Sorry. Give me Ice Caramel Macchiato, in venti size please” 

 

Starbucks was crowded as always during this time, the peak hours for workers to grab their daily dose of caffeine at the morning. She was so embarrassed with the accident that happened just now. Caught in a daydreaming by only earlier in the morning, she felt so ashamed with the others customers who already getting mad at her for holding the queue. With the lack of sleep and the stress about her relationship and also work pressure, it almost make her lost her sanity. 

 

Checking her phone with numerous work emails notifications, she scrolled one by one to not miss any important details. Rae In is a perfectionist in her works and she have to work hard to keep up with her reputation. The clock is ticking and she getting impatient as she waited for her drinks to be done. “Calling for Caramel Macchiato for Miss Rae In!” A barista in her green apron screamed. 

 

She smiled when she read the phrase that the barista wrote on her cup. Don’t forget to smile :) — how she wish to have a positive mindset to go through her day ahead. She was about to leave the place when she bumped into familiar faces. 

 

“Rae In! Hi there!” It was Chen and Chanyeol. Probably went there to grab their coffee too. 

 

“Hi boys! What a good way to start my day” She smiled. “By meeting you guys, I mean” 

 

“Ah! Are you going to the hospital now?” Chen asked. 

 

“Yes I am. I can’t just simple skip work like you guys, big company CEOs” She teased them. 

 

“Oh come on Dr Rae In! Your husband are just like us! He’s been staying in Kai house for days and he—“ His friend had to pinched him to make Chanyeol stopped at his words and realized that his big mouth just slipped some unnecessary words. 

 

Rae In smile awkwardly seeing the two of them getting flustered. “Oh I see...he was in Kai place all this time” And she sigh. 

 

Somehow she felt relieved to know that her husband are staying over his best friend house instead of....well Rae In had a doubt on him that he will cheat on her or worst having her replacement. She quickly shoved the negative thought right away. It wasn’t her fault to have a thought like that, he used to cheated on her before and she couldn’t help but to recall back the past. People said that we can forgive but it’s hard to forget. But luckily he has changed, Sehun is a good husband and she should believe in him.

 

She cant just give up on her husband just because the situation is not ideal. Rae In remembered that her mother in-law once said; great relationships aren’t great because they have no problems, they are great because both people care about the other person and they will eventually find a way to make their relationship work again. It just that she have to wait for Sehun to cool down a bit and give him some space before discuss about their marriage problem. 

 

Back in the Jung Hospital, Rae In and her team of the hospital development department had a small meeting to discuss about the marketing and growing plan of their institutions. Despite her young age, she have been recognized for her passion and determination in order to help the growth of her family hospital. Her alter ego is Dr Rae In— a strict and full of discipline Doctor and Vice President that make all the staffs respect with her. 

 

“We’re not going to increase the fees for the treatment. That’s my final decision” She said to the team. 

 

The manager of hospital marketing looking uneasy in his seat as his superior has just declined his idea. “But Dr Rae In, this will help to increase our hospital profit” 

 

“Yes Dr Rae In. I believe that your father will have the same thought. We have to maintain our reputation as one of the hospital that offers the best VIP services” Another representatives said.

 

“This is hospital! Not a freaking business empire! Listen here, there are so many people out there didn’t afford for treatment fees and now you are going to increase it?! For God sake, hospital are meant to help people!” They were shocked as she slammed the proposal file on the table. 

 

She added, “Plus, my father had nothing to do with the hospital operation. My grandpa had given all the power to me to make decision. Now if you have nothing to said, just leave. We’re done”

 

Those people literally just come to meet her in a wrong day. Remember, Rae In used to be the ice princess when she was in SNU before, don’t make her old self make a comeback. Entire week her life was miserable enough, she doesn’t want to add on that anymore. Her head are hurting from thinking so many problems and she had no time to deal with another bull. 

 

She turns her chair into the window direction, looking outside to calm herself down. Once in awhile she massage her temple to relived the stress. Her eyes are close slowly, taking a break from the hectic day she had. Knock. Knock. She heard a knocking on her door. 

 

“What else do you want?!” She blurted out without looking at the owner of the voice. 

 

“I’m sorry Dr Rae In” A nurse quickly bow her head. 

 

“Sorry I thought it was someone else” Rae In said correcting herself. “What’s the matter?” 

 

“Mr Byun are in emergency room right now” She nervously said. “We need you to be there quickly” 

 

Didn’t surprise with the news that the nurse just told her, she simply replied, “Tell Mr Byun that I don’t have time for another false alarm anymore. I’m not going to fall for his prank” She referred to the time that Baekhyun visited her last time. 

 

The nurse didn’t move right away, trying to convince her one more time. “Unfortunately this is the real situation Dr Rae In. He just had a car crash and it was critical. Red code!”

 

“WHAT?!” Rae In felt like her world has stopped moving around her. Never crossed in her mind to have someone close in her cycle as her patient, her best friend to be exact, specifically come to her hospital in a critical state. She knew this is a very serious accident that the nurse talking about. She had many experienced before, red code— it only defined something; it’s the matter of life or death. 

 

She didn’t care about anything else, she was running to the ER as fast she can. Her worried was indescribable and all she could think is to save him. She must and need to save him. All the paramedics from the ambulance who had sent him was gathered around Baekhyun, already giving him emergency treatment. When she reached there, she almost collapsed to the floor when she saw him. His body was covered in bloods, his face has slowly changed its features due to the swelling, Baekhyun are almost unrecognizable. 

 

“Baek, can you hear me?” She quickly checking on his condition. “Did you feel any pain anywhere?” 

 

It must be very devastating for the normal people to hear such a question from a doctor, to her patient who are in almost-dying condition. But this is just a basic procedure of emergency and trauma department in the hospital. Baekhyun was still half conscious when he reached at the hospital but was struggling in keeping his eyes awake. He got no energy left from the amount of bloods that he had lost.

 

“I do—don’t wa—want to die yet Ra— Rae In” His was groaning in pain. 

 

“You are not going to die Baek please bear it for awhile” Rae In had to keep him awake to check throughly for his condition. 

 

“I’m not feeling so good Rae In” He was in a unbearable pain, he told her. Soon after that, he began to loose his consciousness. The medical assistant quickly connect him to the oxygen for breathing aid, an IV inserted quickly and the morphine began to flow.

 

She began an initial exam to detect any risk of life threatening emergencies. Her instincts told her that his injuries was more than what it appeals on his physical. Baekhyun had wearing a C-collar on his neck and he didn’t get any broken hands or legs but somehow he was so in pain. That’s when Rae In suddenly decided to ripped his clothes off and immediately spotted a bruise on his stomach. From her first look, she had confirmed that it was an abdominal damage. 

 

“Damn this is internal bleeding!” She began to panicked. “His bladder or limbs might have damage. I need him to undergo CT scan and Xray now!”

 

She commanded all her teams to quickly perform a visual inspection for external bleeding and to find whether there will be any misaligned bones, and to make sure that his heart and lungs were functioning normally. Internal bleeding was more worst rather than physical pain and it could lead to death if it wasn’t treated quickly. Rae In had ordered all the expert from all department for taking Baekhyun case, to do what they are best at, only to save her best friend. She might have miss used her authority as the owner of the hospital but she didn’t care anymore. Baekhyun need to be saved.

 

“Call his family and perform the surgery immediately!” She told everyone. They stood there, stunned on what has happened. “Are you going to wait till the patient die?! I said now!” The entire ER didn’t need to hear any yelling from her anymore before they started rushing Baekhyun to operation room.

 

She was tapping into her phone nervously, thinking whether to do it or not. But she has to. All in her mind is for Baekhyun to be fine and survive in his battling on his own life. Not even care about the other possibilities, she reached her dial pad started to making a phone call. His friends have to know about this. This is only means one thing; 

 

She need to call Sehun and deliver this bad news. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Late update, lame chapter, enough said. I’m so sorry :(