FOURTEEN

EGOISM

The sun did not shine on that day. When the rain is falling on the weekend all she want to do is to do some cuddling with her husband on their bed. The view outside of their bedroom are getting better since they have move to a new house. Cuddling is the perfect cure for those tiring and exhausting week they had in works. Rae In love when her day starts by seeing him and he hugging her, everything falls exactly into place. She just want to hold Sehun tight every single chance that she can get and to keep him as close to her as she possibly can.

 

Her head still on his chest, his arm around her. Sehun kiss her crown inhaling his favorite vanilla scent from the shampoo that she used. He has memorized everything about her. Her scent, her favorite shower gel, her favorite Victoria Secret body lotion and it is mostly brought by him too. Rae In was and still his favorite teddy bear that he love to hug, only to tighten his grip as if she is going to leave him. 

 

Sehun shower her with lot of morning kisses before dropped the last kiss on her forehead. “Good morning love”

 

“Good morning Sehun” She close her eyes again, not bother to get up. “Can we just stay like this?” 

 

“Aigoo Rae In you are just like a little girl” He smiles at her. “How was your week?” 

 

“Terrible. I had patient blood splashed into my face in the ER” She feel disgusted just by imagined it again. “How about yours?” 

 

“Had few issues with the contractor who suddenly broke the agreement” He told her. 

 

“Ah I see”

 

She didn’t bother to continue their conversation on works anymore. Their career were like black and white, day and night. It was too much differences and there is no mutual understanding that they could related. With Sehun in property business and Rae In in the medical area, it is the path that will never cross to in any situation. Instead of trying to blend with the story, they will just simply nodded to each other and be a loyal listener to each other work conflict.

 

They are at the peaks of the career now; both are very successful at respective work. Sehun has achieved what he want for the Oh Group, as the company has getting more recognized in Asia as the lead of property business and Rae In are just taking over the Vice President position in her family hospital while being a doctor. As busiest as the might be, they always sneak a few moments to spend together. One thing that never changed in their marriage. Most importantly is they tolerated well on each other time and respect their work.

 

“I would love to cuddling with you for the whole day” He said. “But we have lunch appointment together” 

 

“Oh no! I almost forget about that!” She quickly leave the bed. “We should get ready now”

 

“You mean by showering together?” He smirks at his wife. 

 

She shook her head sending some glares to him. “In your dream babe”

 

As they have promised, they went for lunch appointment at the Four Season Hotel. Rae In sweetly wear a flower summer dress with a pair of Jimmy Choo high heels and Birkin Hermes limited edition handbag. She definitely know how to dress up properly in a public, especially when she have a lunch meeting with Sehun future investors in a high class hotel. Carrying both of her family and her in-laws name, she looks elegant with her looks.  

 

Sehun always proud of her. He said it for few times but he didn’t mind to say it again. She has became a great woman with amazing personalities. Maybe that is how she raised by her family, so polite and presentable for formal meeting and Sehun praise her for being so helpful in every meeting with his potential business partner. He had nothing more to say but thankful for making him the luckiest man ever to have a wife like her. 

 

“You guys are such a lovely couple” Mr Sang, the future investor said. 

 

“Thank you Mr Sang” Sehun said. “Same goes to you too”

 

“How long have you guys been married?” It’s time for his wife to asked. 

 

Rae In politely replied, “7 years to be exact” She smiles. “We...sort of getting married during our college time” 

 

“Oh! No wonder you guys look so young!” Mrs Sang getting more excited. “How about your children?” 

 

“We....still don’t have any” Sehun voice are getting slower this time. He saw Rae In already had her head fix on her plate, getting away from Mrs Sang question. 

 

Mr Sang glares his wife sending a message to not asking further. “Honey, you shouldn’t talk too much” 

 

“It’s okay Mr Sang. We didn’t mind that” Rae In gathered her courageous to answered. 

 

“I’m sorry for that sweetheart. It’s okay...you guys are still young and still have a lot of time. Don’t worry alright?” She pat Rae In at her back. 

 

Rae In saw a hint of disappointment in her husband face. She knew exactly what he felt, of not getting children after so many years. This is all about her.

 


 

Rae In cook his favorite steak for the dinner. For these past days Sehun haven’t had any proper home meals as he being busy in the office. Pickup the fork and knife, he began, but then he stopped. The steak was left untouched. Something was bothering him. There are few things in this marriage he rely on. But when the doubts come back, it started to shakes his beliefs. From hope it turned to disappointment— where his expectations doesn’t give his desire return. Sometimes it just don’t go as he has planned. 

 

“Babe are you okay?” He didn’t respond. If he spoke, he would tell her the truth, that he was not okay at all. “Sehun?” She asked again. 

 

“I’m full. I’m going to bed first” He said.

 

She stopped him from leaving. “Tell me what is wrong with you” 

 

“How about you tell me what is wrong with you Oh Rae In?” She seems confused with his question. “Why you didn’t tell me that you are still on pill?” 

 

“Sehun thats—“ She lost her words. “You don’t want to have child with me, is it?” He interrupted her. 

 

She shook her head immediately. “No! That’s not the reason! It just....it just—“

 

“I’ve been waiting for 7 years Rae In” He sigh. “Alright then do what you think is right for us. I’m going out” 

 

He stormed off the door just like that leaving her alone in their mansion. She has been waiting for him the whole night, but end up overslept at the couch till morning. She woke up with a blanket on her body, she remembered that she didn’t have one last night. That’s when she realized that it must be Sehun who put it on her. She quickly went to their bedroom to look for him but he wasn’t there. She saw the clothes that he wore last night were already in the laundry basket. It only means one thing— he left again. 

 

Rae In couldn’t concentrate on anything. That feeling that she was not necessarily sad but just feel so empty. What have her done this time? She never meant to hurt him, especially over a matter like this. She love him more than anything else in this world. Her selfishness that make him upset, that make Sehun disappointed with her. She had cried over a broken heart before. She knew what that felt like and it totally didn't feel like this. She hurt him but she was the one who in pain. 

 

They said the key of happiness in marriage is the child— typical answer that most of the people agreed on. But does it really valid? Like how about those who doesn’t have on? Didn’t they happy just like the other married couple? This is very sensitive issue as the answers actually depend on that person personal perspective. Sehun and Rae In have a mutual agreement on not to have kids until she finished her studies and residency. He didn’t mind to wait as he wanted his wife to focus on herself first. 

 

But that was before. Rae In are now has became a doctor yet he think that nothing should be the barrier for him to have his child that will carry the Oh surname with them. She knew that it was her fault. She should have told him that she was still on birth control pills. She should be the one who said it, not when Sehun is the who found the pills that she secretly put in her drawer. Rae In had a battle with herself, she just hope that one day he could understand it. It will be lie if she said she doesn’t want a child, she really want it. But she just not ready for it. On so many factors. 

 

“Madam, you have a guest downstairs” Rae In sheds her tears when her maid called. 

 

“Hello my lovely Rae in!” It was her mother in law who came. “Thank you for coming omma” 

 

Mrs Oh looking around the house, “Where is Sehun?” 

 

“He went to meet his client” She lied. She doesn’t want her mother in law to know that they were arguing.

 

Rae In watched her mother in law with full of admiration. She is a lovely woman, just like her own mother. Her eyes are getting teary by remembering how she her late mother will be the one who calm her down when she got into fight with her father, to reassure her that everything will alright, to tell her that she can be anything if she set her mind into it, that she will be a successful woman one day. Both of them are the example of a good mother. Which make Rae In think again, can she be the one?

 

“Omma” She reached for her mother in law hand. “I love you”

 

Rae In couldn’t hold it anymore, she sobbed into her mother in law embrace. “Oh God! Are you okay?” She was softened at Rae In crying face. 

 

“I’m sorry that I couldn’t be a perfect wife for your son” She said in between her tears. “I’m so sorry” 

 

“My dear, there is no such a thing as perfect in this world” Mrs Oh patted her back. “Do you have any problem with Sehun?” 

 

“Omma I know that you guys are upset with me......I should give you grandchildren by now” She lowered her head. 

 

“We could only plan Rae In. This is all God works. Nothing matter beside your own happiness” She said. 

 

“I’m just thinking that I might not ready to be a mother” Rae In replied. “I lack on so many things” 

 

Her mother in law shook her head. “I believe you can, dear. Sehun believe in you too. You are great woman and I believe that you will be a good mother to your kids. You have to believe in yourself”

 


 

Rae In sat at the last row of the seat at the auditorium. Observing the orientation for the new intern. She chuckles, remembered her bittersweet two years during the residency. The new intern are getting their ID badges with the proud on the face, seems very excited to started their residency in this hospital. Well, it just too early to say that they are going go have a great time. Just like everyone, they are eager to get to work, to become real doctors with the M.D after their name. 

 

They might be nervous as hell but they have a common goal; they want to achieve, help their patients and most of all— to survive this residency. The auditorium were used for the whole week for the orientation. They've been talked at for hours upon hours about residency and hospital policies, the importance of their own health, and most importantly is not to make a silly mistake like not to accidentally stick themselves with needles. Rae In have seen the worst case before.

 

“Ah! It such a pleasure to have our Vice President with us today!” A senior doctor, one of the speakers said. 

 

Rae In made her way down to the centre of stage to greet with everyone. She didn’t meant to interrupt their event, she just went there for a quick visit before heading back to her office. It just wasn’t her luck when suddenly they noticed her in the auditorium. She didn’t want them to feel uncomfortable with her presence, that’s why she quietly sat there.

 

“To all new interns of Jung Hospital, let me introduce this amazing lady. Bu-HuiJang Nim (Vice President) Dr Rae In” 

 

“Hello everyone” Rae In return the bow. “Please be comfortable. Just call me Dr Rae In”

 

The voice are getting louder since everyone started to whispering with each other. They talked about her humbleness despite of being the Vice President at the hospital. Since she started working here, she has been the topic that most of the staff gossiping about. It’s mostly about her getting the doctor title because her family influences— which is wrong. She did it by her own. It just that she got the position at this hospital because she is the heiress of Jung Medical Group. Something that she can’t even reject on her own will. 

 

Rae In herself didn’t believed that she actually has reached at this point, with her position while successfully recognized as a doctor. Her dream has come true. She has made it through and realized, in retrospect that she are very well trained. Whether that is thanks to her evil supervisor, or despite all the crap during her residency, it's hard to say. But it's one of the factor that helped her to become what she is right now. Never thought of saying this, but Rae In quite thankful for having Dr Choi as her mentor. 

 

“I’m sorry to interrupt your session Dr Rae In” A nurse nervously relaying the urgency message to her. 

 

“There is an emergency in VIP ward” She added.

 

“What’s that?” Rae In asked. “Isn’t any other doctor available?”

 

“Unfortunately that patient requested for you doctor” That nurse making a worry expression. “...........and he’s making a scene upstairs”

 

Rae In had the biggest influential in the hospital that didn’t required her to work much but she still want served for the patient. That is what she have in mind when she started to sign in into medical industry 6 years ago. Being a Vice President might be her task that she have to do for her family but she thought that her responsibilities towards the community are more important than that. And as a doctor, she have to be ready in whatever situation. Especially to be alert for emergency. 

 

Handle a general ward are hard enough for the doctor but being assigned to this ward are beyond above. The challenges are more into taking care of their wellbeing properly— to make sure they have the best services while being admitted. This floor is where everything based on business goals and extra privileges that the patient get due to the amount that they paid. Most of the cases around her specialty at the VIP ward are taken care by Rae In, a special consultation from the Vice President itself. 

 

“What is the patient condition?” Rae In asked her nurse. 

 

“Actually he came for consultation” Her answer almost made Rae In cursed. 

 

Rae In annoyed, “What?! Without appointment?” She groaned. “Just who the hell is this person......he better worth my time”

 

The perks of being the VIP doctor is to entertain them no matter now annoying they are. Sometimes they called the doctor just for simplest things when they can actually get help from the nurse in charge. They thought that they deserved the golden treatment as they have labored so much money for the treatment. It’s all about wealth and power. The patient that requested for Rae In are already there. He sat on the chair of the ward lounge with his arm crossed. 

 

“I’m sorry for making you wait Mr—“ Rae In stopped her sentences. “Baekhyun?!” 

 

He smiles, “Hello my best friend!” 

 

“It’s okay I can take this from here” She said to her coworkers before dragging him inside her office. 

 

It happened that the VIP patient is Byun Baekhyun from BC Technology, who actually her best friend too. He’s not even sick, he just put some little drama just to meet Rae In. Forget the mischievous boy from EXO in college, Baekhyun has successfully become one of the CEO in his own company. She remembered how he love to called her princess and be her most favorite listener back then. She glad that they still maintain their friendship after so many years, together with EXO too. 

 

“I swear that if you did this one more time.....I will banned you from my hospital” She warned him. 

 

“You can’t Rae In” He replied. “I’m one of your charity funder.....ah you really need to learn how to treat me better my friend” 

 

She hit his arm slightly. “I’m sorry Byun Sajangnim!” She laughed. “How is your business partner? Its been awhile since I met him”

 

“Chanyeol is fine as always” Baekhyun said while looking around in her office. “You are so busy and don’t even have time to meet EXO” 

 

He pouted. Rae In felt so bad on that. She knew that since she has taking over this position, she barely have time to hangout with them just like they used to. She will mostly spend her time at the hospital or stay at home with Sehun. Unlike before, she rarely follow him whenever he have the gathering with they guys. 

 

“What made you come here?” She asked. 

 

“Ah! I’m here to personally give you this..” He shove an invitation card to her. “My engagement party will be next week and I want you to come!”

 

“Baek! You are getting married?” She was surprised. “Congratulations! I’m so happy for you!” 

 

He furrowed his eyebrows, “Wait......Sehun didn’t tell you?” He made Rae In froze on her seat. “............don’t tell me you guys are in war right now” 

 

“Yeah kind of....he’s mad at me I guess” She sigh. 

 

“Spill it out girl.....you know I have all day for you” Baekhyun said. 

 

Rae In started to spill everything to him. She didn’t mind to share her problems with him because she knew that Baekhyun will never judges her, but instead will be a good listener to her misery. Beside Sehun, he’s the next closest person that she comfortable to talk to. Even her husband aware about their friendship and didn’t mind about that. 

 

Sehun also thankful for having him as their best friend who always help to be the middle man and help them in their relationship. It will be more easier as Baekhyun know both of them so well that he can just give useful advices and suggest proper solutions to their problems. Surprisingly, it worked for most of the times. 

 

“I couldn’t say much....” He sigh. “I don’t even have child yet to give you advice” 

 

“I don’t know what to do Baek” Rae In close her eyes and starting to massage her temple. 

 

He broke the silent. “You love him Rae In? Your husband......you love him?”

 

She stares at him confusingly, “Of course I am! What kind of question is that” 

 

“Then......you suppose to know what to do right now” Baekhyun relayed his hidden message that only make her more miserable. 

 

 

 

A/N: I made another Sehun x OC fanfic. Feel free to check it out! Click on the title below: 

TOXIC (Please please help me review my new story) 

 

Btw, I’m so sorry for the late update. I have to settle few things. Will be updating the next chapter soon....enjoy!