SIX

EGOISM

It was a pleasant cafe, warm, clean and friendly, perfect place for Rae In to spend the evening. She’s a regular and this cafe will always be her favorite place. She put aside her Adidas backpack, a pile of untouched college assignments and ordered a cup of milk bubble tea. She chuckled, felt so related as she read the quotes hanged in the walls; ‘I’m not everyone cup of tea, that’s the great part because I don’t have to be’.

 

The waiter brought it and she took out a photo album that still unwrapped from the pocket of the bag and printed polaroid photos and started to organize it. The memories flooded back as she looked through the photo album. Some of it was from the engagement party, wedding day, family event and the last one will be the ones that they took during their visit at Namsan Tower, their first ever date.

 

Will you leave me Sehun?’ She sigh softly.

 

Rae In always thought that life is full with chance of meetings. Everyday without realizing it, we pass people whom we should know. For example, at this moment in this cafe, we're sitting next to strangers. Everyone will get up, leave, and go on their own way. And they'll never meet again. And if they do, they won't realize that it's not for the first time. Just like when she met her first love two years ago. A tall guy with sharp jawline, flawless pale skin, being the most quite person in his group. For the first time in her live she believed on what people have said - love at the first sight.

 

The cafe windows wrapped all the way around the second floor, which gave a beautiful panoramic view of the outside. She like to observe people. That’s when she saw a group of guys seems having fun talking to each other while heading inside this bubble tea cafe, she spotted some familiar faces.

 

“Look who’s here! Hello Rae In! Nice to meet you here!” The guy with red cap noticed her.

 

“Hi Chanyeol! Hi EXO! What are you guys doing here?” Rae In smile when while greet the others.

 

“We are going to grab drinks before going to the practice later. Hey what are you doing here? I never knew that you like bubble tea as much as Sehun!”

 

Rae In about to reply Xiumin but stop in track when suddenly Sehun appear behind them, with a girl that she never saw before beside him. She quickly put the photo album in her backpack before he could see it. That girl is pretty and they look so good together. The reality hit her as she compare herself with the girl that linked her arm with Sehun right now. There are too much different between them. It wasn’t that exaggeration when Rae In felt like potato standing in front of angel like her. She wonder if she is the one who called Sehun the other night.

 

“Hey guys, mind to introduce her to me? Hi my name is Park Seolla. Their childhood best friend. I just moved to SNU” That unknown girl spoke.

 

“This is Jung Rae In. She’s our friend in campus. And she is also Sehun—“

 

“—my fr—friend as well” Sehun cut Baekhyun words in no seconds.

 

At that moment she could only fake her smile and shake that girl hand. It was hurt to heard that from his mouth. Especially when Sehun avoid to look her in her eyes. As if all the things he said wasn’t a lie. Clearly he didn’t want Seolla to know who Rae In is in his life. But there is nothing she could do. All this while she was having a one sided crush on him and of course she couldn’t be more surprise than this to know that he actually only regard her as his friend.

 

That would be the answer to Sehun being different past days. Soon he was online every night until one or two in the morning. Sometimes he would wake up in the middle of the night and go back online. He would shut down the phone screen when she walked in. In the past, he used to take the laptop to the living hall with him and they would both be on their laptops, side by side doing assignments together. He stopped doing that, slipping off to his bedroom instead and closing the door leaving her alone. He started closing doors behind him. She was steeped in denial, but her body knew that he was changed.

 

She already asked him but only to received ‘it’s none of your business’ from Sehun. They barely have dinner together and the only times when he spoke to her is when to inform that he’s going to be back late. Betrayal was what she felt, her heart broken not just by a guy she was in love with but also by, as she once believed, a best friend. After all, the sweet memories that she once experienced during past weeks, was it only a game play by him? When she already expected that the happiness of their marriage will bloom more, she might need to think that twice.

 

My life is so pathetic. Even the radio is mocking me’ Just in time, the radio in the cafe play a perfect song for her; So Far Away by Agust D.

 


 

She always enjoyed being in the background while sitting in a lobby of the faculty, watching people. However, lately she felt sometimes people watch her. It is uncomfortable as people recognize her by as the bully victim of Min Ah, who was expelled from the college. Some of them are kind too, when they actually brave enough to face her and say sorry for believed the rumors about her before. One moment before, she didn't want them to recognise her but when they did that, she glad.

 

“Aigoo what a pity to saw pretty girl like you sitting here alone. Hey sister in law, are you okay?” Baekhyun knock her off from the day dream.

 

“Hi Baek. I’m good. Hey are you in the middle of skipping classes or what? I saw nobody here except you” Rae In replied.

 

Later she found out that he was actually purposely skipping his class because he said that the ongoing class is too bored for him. What an excuse. They casually talked for several minutes under the tree where the bench is located. Baekhyun was actually already known her even since she was bumped into Sehun, her first ever encounter with EXO.

 

He always noticed this little girl by the windows at the bubble tea shop alone, wonder why he never saw Rae In with other friend. And later he found out that they are in the same major in SNU. He always make effort to be friend with her and that’s make her feel most comfortable with him in EXO. No feelings attached, Baekhyun sincerely just want to be close to her as a friend and not more than that. Now she have become his best friend wife, he glad that they can be more closer.

 

“I don’t know if I’m the right one to tell you this Rae In. You better ask Sehun yourself”

 

“You know that I can’t get the answer from him right? I don’t know Baek. I had no idea what’s going on”

 

He understand much how Rae In felt right now. She was clueless as hell. Last time he checked that her relationship with Sehun was in a good condition but for past days he noticed that how awkward their interaction is. Sehun now rarely talks about her, unlike usual when he couldn’t even be in peace because he was to worried about his wife. Seolla, she must be the reason why acted like this. Unable to hold anymore, he burst out to tell Rae In the truth. How Seolla met them and everything started.

 

Back in years ago when they were still in high school, she was transferred to the school that EXO attend and they become friends after that. They are close to each other especially Sehun. Back then Seolla family was died in an accident and its happened that during that time Sehun always be there to comfort her all time. He used to like her but they never in relationship because before college about to start, she decided to go to France to studies fashion there. Leaving him behind. Since then Sehun rarely talks to anyone beside EXO because he thought that everyone will be leaving him just like her.

 

“I couldn’t simply make a conclusion just like that but I know that Sehun has something for you Rae In. It just matter of time”

 

“I wish I could believe everything you have said Baek. Thank you for your words tho” She sigh.

 

“I hope you don’t give up on him. He’s your husband after all. That girl, she just someone that he used to know. You gotta fight for your right girl. Come on! You go girl! The ice princess that I know isn’t weak like this!”

 

She hope that at least Baekhyun words could motivate her to be more stronger. She take a walk to the next building, heading to her Literature lecture just then she bumped into Sehun in the hallway.

 

“Oh sorry. I didn’t see you coming. I’m sorry—- Rae In?!” Apparently Sehun had no idea what was in front of him.

 

“What now? Can’t even recognize your own wife? Or perhaps are you forget that you actually married Oh Sehun?”

 

His eyes widened almost choked with the choice of her words. He was about to reply, but again he was speechless when Rae In open .

 

“Chill Sehun. I’m just kidding” And she left.

 

His heart is hurting as if he was stabbed by a knife just now. Everything that he heard was clear, he knew that Rae In wasn’t joke about that. She literally hurt for everything he had said in the cafe yesterday. The things back at home is the worst. He felt so bad to her until he can’t even face her. He will be back late or avoid any conversation with her when both of them were at home.

 

He didn’t know if what he did was right but Seolla shouldn’t know that she is his wife at least for this time. It was too shocked for him when he found out Seolla is back In Seoul. Especially when he already have his heart for Rae In. A part of him telling him to just ignore her and be with his wife but another part of him telling him that this is probably a chance for him to get back with Seolla. After all she came back here for him.

 

“Sehun? Hey what were you thinking about? I’m just right here in front of you” Seolla whined.

 

“Sorry. Something came up to my mind” He unwillingly replied.

 

Sehun took her to the Japanese restaurant in the mall for lunch. She’s been talking to him all the time but sadly none of them were heard by Sehun. Instead, he look out of the windows staring at the sight of Namsan Tower. Where he had a memorable memories with Rae In there. He had to admit that all these silent treatment between him and his wife only make him missed her more.

 

Walking through busy road of Hongdae, Seolla took the chances to intertwined her fingers with Sehun. After she comeback from France she noticed that he has changed. He didn’t cherish her like he used to be and he also didn’t pay much attention to her when they are together. They come across the convenient shop, where Rae In was in there having a soju alone.

 

“Isn’t that girl from bubble tea shop?” Seolla pointed at her direction, caught Sehun attention.

 

“Hey Seolla I guess that I have to go now. I’m sorry that I couldn’t spend much time with you. There, ride that taxi and go back home. I’ll call you later”

 

Soon after she leave, Sehun made his way to enter the shop. Rae In look a bit tipsy from the bottles of soju that she drank. He knows that she will be leaving if she found out Sehun is there so he decided to watch her from far. Rae In wasn’t a heavy drinker and have a low tolerate for alcohol. He observes her quietly from where she stood while having her ramen. She looks so innocent there playfully looking outside of the windows smirking to the sight of couple that walks through the pathway.

 

Rae In then strolls around the place before heading back to home. Well it wasn’t in her plan tho to be that drunk and unable to walk properly. Thanks God she didn’t drive her car because apparently she wasn’t that sober to be driving. Sehun couldn’t stand anymore and start approaching her.

 

“Hey boy—gulps. Hey— you look like Sehun!” Rae In said in the middle of hiccups.

 

She was to drunk to even realize that it is the real Sehun in front of her. He even piggyback her to his car. She mumbled randomly along the way something nonsense like how dragon should be alive now or talking about her bias in BTS, Sehun found its cute. Rae In would never show this side of her when she’s sober. Soon after that, she was drifted to sleep in the car when they arrived home. Once again he had to carry her to their apartment upstairs. She will not remember everything that Sehun had done tonight but this is the least thing that he could do for treated her so bad.

 


 

Each morning she wake up with him on her mind and pain in her heart. It’s been few days. Their apartments that once felt like perfect home to her has become more cold with the unspoken resident in it. As humans, we’re wired to experience love and affection. But for every action, there’s an equal and opposite reaction. Just like being in love, we will also exposed in getting a heartbreak. A broken heart is one of those experiences that all of us as humans can share, yet you can only experience alone.

 

“Don’t forget about the event tonight”

 

“I know Sehun. I’m not someone who will forget about the promise that been already made tho. I’ll be there by my own. See you there” Rae In said and quickly leave the house.

 

It might sound ordinary for a woman to find out her husband cheating on her, but not if Rae In is the woman and it’s arranged marriage. On what basis that she should expect when their marriage wasn’t built in the name of love at the first place. She can’t simply asked Sehun to be loyal with her when he was arranged to this marriage without his consent as well. She can’t force him to stay with her. He probably still in love with Seolla.

 

Driving her Mini Cooper she speeds off to the nearest shopping mall to get her a dress for the event. Hell, her mood is absolutely off to be in dinner event tonight but as an obligation as daughter in law of Oh Group household she need to be there. Passed by several shops, nothing has caught her attention but then she stop in front of the small kiosk that sell hand made braided bracelets. She took one of the display product, she thought that it will be so suitable for Sehun. He always likes these kind of bracelet.

 

Why can’t I just stop thinking about him?

 

Wearing a Burberry navy blue off-shoulder dress, a pair of white Louboutin with matching clutch from LV she step into the extravagant hall hand in hand with Sehun. Before she arrived just now, he managed to text her to wait for him in the main entrance. It would be weird if people saw them coming separately especially Mr and Mrs Oh. Sehun didn’t want to put his life in line when his mother found out that he is in the bad situation with his wife.

 

The guests greet the couple along their way to the VVIP table that been set up for them. Some of them congratulate him for the success opening of their new branch in Busan and some of them even compliments Rae In for looking very stunning. She can’t help but blushed. Sehun admit that she’s beautiful as usual but tonight she is exceptionally looking so hot and y. It probably the after effect of not being close to her for this past days. The sensual tension is slowly driving him crazy.

 

“I’m so happy seeing them reunited again. Isn’t that lovely?” Suho commented looking at them.

 

“Yeah Rae In deserves to be treated like that. That is the spot that she could only fit in, as his wife” Baekhyun remarks his words purposely.

 

It was a bit tense in the table that they sit. EXO and Seolla was there as well at the event, to support Sehun in his new business branch launching. Their members aware that Baekhyun has slipped about their marriage to Seolla, but that guy looking away as if he didn’t made any mistake. Soon or later in the night he know that Seolla will found out about Sehun so why don’t he tell her beforehand?

 

Meanwhile that girl couldn’t hide her disappointment through her face along the night. Her instincts always tell her that Rae In have something special with Sehun but she didn’t want to be noisy about that. She noticed how worried Sehun was when he found Rae In in the convenient shop other night. She is also a girl and she noticed the sadness through Rae In eyes everytime they were bumped to each other. Rae In also didn’t show any sign of likeness to the her when she was in Sehun.

 

It was the time for the dance of the night. The music change to something slower to bring out the romantic mood. The light dimmed slightly and suddenly the spotlight was focus on Sehun and Rae In. The audience clapped for them when his mother ushered him to take her to the center of the hall to dance. He got the signal and kneeling in front of her before took her hand and kiss it. They are now ready for the dance.

 

“I—I don’t know how to dance Sehun” Rae In whisper in his ear.

 

“It’s fine. Just lean on me. We will go slowly okay?” Sehun reassure her in his husky voice almost make her forget that they were in argument.

 

They started slowly. Her hand were put in his chest while Sehun had one of his arm lingers around her waist and the other were in the back oh her head. He then softly take her into his embrace, kissing her crown. They were drown in their own world ignoring everyone in the hall. It’s something that they both been missing - each other warmth.

 

“I still care about you Rae In” Sehun said still hugging her.

 

“I don’t know whether to believe that or not. I don’t know you anymore Sehun”

 

“God. I missed you so much. I’m sorry I couldn’t give you any answer right now. I’m so confused”

 

“Is it that easy Sehun?”

 

She couldn’t stand anymore and slowly leave him at the dance floor. She didn’t care about anything anymore. Luckily it happened when everyone didn’t give attention to them anymore. Sehun chase her from behind and when she trap in the end of hallway he back hugging her.

 

“Please Rae In. Stop. Look at me”

 

She turn around, her head still keep looking at the ground. She can’t look Sehun in his eyes. It wasn’t only hard for her, but for him as well. He couldn’t stand looking at his wife hurting like this. He promise her that he will settle this things soon. A phone call suddenly interrupted them. They were in the middle of discussion when Kai told him that Seolla is leaving the event. He reached to his limit, unable to decide whether to stay with his wife or leaving to find Seolla.

 

“Just go to her Sehun. I’ll be fine. I have my car to get home” Rae In convinced him.

 

There is no way that Sehun will leave her alone but the thought that Seolla suddenly missing worries him too. He couldn’t even explain everything to her as well. She just found out that he is married and she might be heartbroken as well. No matter how much he said that he wouldn’t be leaving Rae In alone tonight, at the end after she told him to get off, he made his move from the place try to reach for Seolla.

 

Rae In steps getting heavier to her car. The night should end soon, everything is too much for her. The pain is unbearable, her heart felt as it was ripped apart. It was hurtful to let someone go for someone else. She could stop Sehun from leaving but she couldn’t do that. As much as she loves him she cannot be selfish. Just for this once, she thought maybe, just maybe she could believe Sehun words and wait for him. Even though she’s the one who have to bear the pain.

 

That night will be the coldest night ever in Seoul. It is two in the morning and the rain is pouring. Leaving Rae In alone in the car heading back to their apartment. It seems like she had done something bad in her past life and tonight is where she get punishment from God. Her car was stopped in the middle of highway, stranded somewhere in Seoul district. The engine probably has problem somewhere that she couldn’t even spotted. It was more saddest when the door was automatically locked and she was outside of the car. She had to call Sehun for help. ‘Hello’ she said, ‘Hello’. No one was there in the line.  She hung up. All the lights went out, thats when she realized that her iPhone was already out of battery.

 

“What else could be wrong this time?! My life is a and it will never change! My husband left me, my car wasn’t working and even my fcking phone is died! Just let me die already! My dad were right. I’m such a bad luck!!” Rae In shouted out of nowhere.

 

Cold and wet, tired and exhausted she made her way along the path through the city, with the hope that she will survive. The rain got harder as Rae In walked alone in tears. Her first tears after so many years, and it is because of him, Oh Sehun.

 

 

 

 


A/N: It took me several days to write this chapter because I want to make it so sad that it could hurt our heart too ㅠㅠ Lol sorry if I overmade Sehun to be like real here but here is the gift you! A chapter poster of y Sehun that will give you a nosebleed ㅋㅋㅋ

Note: this fanfic will be a short story (I have the plot for 10 chapters) so it probably reaching the end soon. I might be posting few bonus chapters too but I couldn’t promise you that. Meantime, I hope you enjoy it and tell me how this chapter is! xx