Notes and Tears

Elevator Girl

Everybody loves it when they're done with exams right? Everyone celebrates it, some go home and rest their brain off and some party with friends to rejoice after all the hell they went through. Seulgi, Wendy, and Bogum were sitting on a bench near their campus. It was late afternoon so there were not that much people around.

"What do you want to do?" Wendy asks the two, "You wanna watch a movie? Eat out? What?" They've been here for at least 30 mins not knowing what to do, all they knew is that they wanted to celebrate the end of exams together. 

"How about we crash at Wendy's place and drink a bit." Bogun suggests leaving the two jaw dropped. Bogum, the all great honour student,  asking to drink. They know they're old enough to drink and they did drink before but they never expected this. Bogum chuckles at their reaction. 

"What? I want to celebrate too. Plus we deserve this! This is the end of our 3rd year." Bogum says. Which was correct, they'll be going to their 4th year, their last year. They already given all their projects and papers, and they just finished their exams. They don't have to worry about anything, only until they'll see their grades will they worry their witts out.

"I mean I'm all up for it but.... you drink!?" Seulgi exclaims.

"There's alot of things you don't know about me Seulgi." Bogum replies before standing up and checking the nearest store that could sell alcohol. Don't worry they're not really planning to go all out with the drinks just enough to go tipsy and feel light headed, after all they're responsible students. 

"Wait... why my place?" Wendy asks, while pointing at herself.

"Because you live in the dorms, I live in a Suite where there is strictly no alcohol allowed inside,  and Bogum lives with his family." 

"Do you want to invite Irene?" Bogum asks suddenly,  leaving Seulgi confused. '

What? Why does he want her to come? Not that I don't mind her joining but... Bogum and Irene?' 

Seulgi did notice that Bogum would give off questions about Irene in their conversations but Seulgi merely shrugged it off.

"No sorry, Irene dislikes beer." Which was the truth, Seulgi joked about bringing Irene to a club one day but instead of laughs she received an angry Bae talking about how alcohol isn't good and giving her a sermon about it.

"Mhmm ok then. Let's go!!" Bogum marches forward as if he wasn't saddened that Irene could not come but a smirk appeared on his face with a glint of happines in his eyes.

_________

"Oy! Seulgi, I told you not to drink didn't I?" A stern looking Irene was trying to keep hold of a drunk Seulgi as they entered the elevator. She had to bow and excuse themselves infront of the staff members when they saw a very drunk Seulgi swaying and laughing outside the building. Luckily for them they were the only ones at the elvator considering the fact that it's near midnight! 

"You're making me lose sleep Kang, you better make it up to me. After all you're the one that told me sleep is important." Irene sighs as she places Seulgi near the wall for her to lean but Irene's hands never left Seulgi's shoulders, holding her for support.

"Do you wanna know (hic) why elevators are amazing?" Seulgi says quite slowly and quietly. 

"Sure?" Wondering why Seulgi was talking about this now. Irene thinks Seulgi is one of those drunks that spill out their secrets and truths.

"It's because I get to meet alot of people while in the elevator. Doesn't matter if it's a short time or not, I get to know somebody even if it's only a bit. I get to be part of their day. I get to say 'hi' or ask 'how they're feeling?' Isn't that wonderful?"

"Yeah, it is." Irene says with a smile,

Suddenly Seulgi moves forward and Irene had to catch her to stop her from falling and hitting her head. Seulgi burried her face onto Irene's neck inhaling her sweet lavender scent. Irene could no longer hold Seulgi by her shoulders so instead she wrapped her arms around the taller one's waist.

"It's also the place where I got to meet you." Seulgi whispers. Irene heard it and her face was getting hot.

*Ding*

They were at Seulgi's floor but Irene just closed the door and pressed her floor number with Seulgi still passed out hugging her small frame. Irene plans to bring Seulgi to her room instead, making it easier for both of them. She doesn't know where Seulgi's keys are and she's too sleepy to find out where. She hugs back, only by a bit; not wanting the girl to wake. Irene ends up wondering why is her heartbeat beating differently. She looks at Seulgi and smiles,

'Cute'

 

_________

 

Seulgi wakes up to find out she's not in her room. Panick filling her mind.

'Where am I? What happened last night? Am I kidnapped?!'

She takes a look around the room and finds out she's in Irene's room. She looks upon the desk across her seeing a glass of water, pills, and a purple note

 

Drink this, it should help you feel better :)

 

After following the instructions, Seulgi ventures forth to the kitchen and sees another purple note.

 

Breakfast is in the microwave heat it up :P

 

Irene was a wonderful cook (is there anything she couldn't do?), Seulgi's pretty sure Irene could do any job she wanted and still manage to excel in it in everyway. After eating and washing the plates she walks to the couch and again seeing another purple note making her smile. 'Irene and her obssesion for purple.'

 

I'll be back by 6pm, your stuff are by the door. If you plan on leaving pls lock the door and tell me. If I come back to find my place dirty you're dead! -_-

 

Seulgi checks the clock hanging on Irene's wall, it read the time 9:51. What time did she get home? Doesn't matter anyways, she decides to herself she'll stay till 11. She'll write a post-note for Irene and give her something as appreciation before she leaves. So now what do for 1 hr and 9 mins?

Seulgi never looked around Irene's place, she visited time to time but she was mostly just at the couch, living room, or kitchen. So why not explore a bit? 

She skips the kitchen, since she's been there too many times and goes towards the bookshelves that are by the walls. Irene reads alot of books, from school books, to novels, to workbooks, to comics, to bed time stories. It's an amazing collection but Seulgi doesn't feel like reading so she turns her attention elsewhere. There's not much in one room/condo, it only contains: 1 bedroom, 1 living room, 1 kitchen, and 2 bathroooms. But this is Velvet Suite, the room's beautiful as it is.

She goes to living room and looks around and notices that their are no pictures what so ever of anyone or anything, not even a painting (this is excluding all the game and movie posters in Irene's bedroom).

No one can deny that Seulgi is curious about Irene and her family, especially by the fact that they barely meet. So she couldn't help herself when she went towards the bedroom (she gave a short bow as if saying excuse me for entering). Her room was really neat, besides the unfolded blanket and ruffled bed since Seulgi didn't fix it after waking up.

The desk near the window was covered with stacks of paper. Seulgi saw that some were filled with codes and numbers for computers, she skipped that since she did not want to see numbers when she just woke up minutes ago. Other papers were game designs and character designs, 'Did Irene make this? This looks amazing!' and by the sketches Seulgi could already believe that whatever game it was would be a great success. 

Lastly, there were business papers.............business papers? 

'I thought Irene didn't pursue business?'

Seulgi picks up a paper, it was sent for Irene but it doesn't mention her name. Nor did it show Irene wanting to give a reply, all these papers seem to have been touched but not read, and Seulgi knew she shouldn't continue looking through her things, until a paper with a paper clip was sticking out. She takes it out of the pile.

It was letter sent from Daegu from a person who named himself/herself.

 

B. Y.

 

She doesn't read the letter but goes for the thing attached to it by the paper clip. It was a photo, an old one. Seulgi sees a family of 4. The parents were in one side giving an emotionless expression while two young girls were beside each other, the taller one holding the shorter one's hand. The shorter girl was smiling brightly like a kid on Christmas, the other girl tried to smile. Her smile was was caught on the photo but through the eyes you could tell that it was fake smile; it didn't need a detective to find out who this family was. It was the Baes.

Irene still looked pretty in such a young age, the girl beside her must be her sister. Seulgi decides not to pry further. And fixes the stack of papers and decides to  give Irene a gift, how about baking her a cake? Hopefully Irene doesn't mind her using her ingredients, she'll pay for the stuff she used.

So she walks to the kitchen and scans for the ingredients for a cake, after collecting them all and looking at the internet for instructions, Seulgi gets to work.

______________

Who knew baking a cake could be so hard? By the time it was already 10:47, and Seulgi managed to put the battered cake into the oven. Seulgi looks around at her surroundings, everywhere was a mess. There was batter spread around the kitchen table, utensils everywhere, and.....was that flour on the ceiling? Don't ask how it got there.

The bear looking girl decides to rest awhile on the couch and clean after, so she washes her hands and falls on the couch with eyes closed. She left her phone on the counter so she couldn't see the message that appeared, 

 

Irene, your friend :)

Heyyy, u haven't txted me yet so I think yur still there. I'll be visiting and cook us some lunch. (^-^)

______________

Seulgi was having a nice dream about food, there was a part in her dream where there was this big grill and so much meat was getting cooked on top of it. But she smelled something wrong, she smelled something getting burned (real burnt) and there was suddenly this awful noise. But the smell and sound wasn't a dream, Seulgi opened her eyes to see the oven with smoke coming out and making a beeping noise.

'The cake!!!!'

She immediately runs to the oven and grabs mittens to open the oven. She gets hit by a cloud of smoke and quickly grabs the cake and puts it away. She looks around for a fire distinguisher and picks it up to put out the fire. With all the commotion she couldn't hear the sound of someone entering.

"YAH! SEULGI WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" Irene's voice cut through all the noise and stops Seulgi from doing whatever she was doing. Seulgi slowly turns her bead to face Irene and gives of a nervous smile.

"H-hi?"

Seulgi got kicked out, she was ordered by the older girl to go outside. But she was never told to leave, so she patiently waits outside the door so that she could explain and apologize for what happened.

"You can come in now." Irene says through the door, and once Seulgi enters she sees a spotless kitchen awaiting her and an angry Irene.

"What were you trying to do? Burn the building down? You're lucky it wasn't a big fire or that the smoke sensors did not pick up the smoke or else everyone would be put into panick because they think that their building is on fire!!!"

"I-im sorry,  I didn't mean for that to happen. I wanted to make you a cake because you've been so nice to me and after baking I felt really tired. I accidentally fell asleep and when I woke up it was burning and I tried to put it out but you came in and yeah." Seulgi says saddly, she didn't like it when Irene was mad.

Irene turns her way to look at the cake, which was pretty burnt and somehow managed to survive to be eaten. She was angry at Seulgi but she knew that she meant well with her actions.

"I told you if I came home-I mean back and find the place dirty you're dead." Irene says and Seulgi felt even worse.

​​​​​​"But if you're dead no one can help me eat the cake plus it would be tiring to hide your body." Irene motions for Seulgi to sit while she gets plates, forks, and knife.

"You take first bite since it's for you." Said Seulgi, 

"Do you want me to die, this looks like it can kill me. We eat it together." 

As much as Seulgi wants to tell back that her baking skills were not that bad (which they are) and she wants to defend herself. She decides just to follow the older one's order. They take a bite of the cake.

"..."

"I-it's crunchy, alot of burnt parts but still edible. As much as I love your gift we can get cancer out of eating burnt food." Irene says but she continues eating her slice.

"How about I just buy you a cake?"

"Mhm, that would be better."

After Irene and Seulgi finish their slices they throw the rest of the cake in the trashcan.

"Why are you back here early? You said you'll be back by 6." Seulgi questions,

"I guess you didn't read my message, I was worried about you. I thought you would feel unwell when you woke up. I wanted to stay with you but I had to go to work we had a deadline due today."

"I'm so sorry."

"No its fine, I wanted to go back anyways."

They sit together on the couch and talk about stuff until they both had to leave. Forgetting all about what happened earlier and both left with smiles.

_____________

Today is the day. The day of all days! They're receiving their final's grades. All students are scared out of their minds. Everyone is talking to their friends, rediscussing their answers and exams. Seulgi was with her friends in the corner waiting for the professor to come in. Seulgi was not at all scared infact she was excited but that went all down the drain when a professor came in and called Seulgi to go to the Principle's office.

Scared was not the word she'd use to describe what she's feeling right now. She was down right terrified. She didn't do anything wrong right? She's always been a good student besides her tardiness, she's was safe. So it has to be about her grades.

"Please come in, Ms. Kang." The tone of the principle was sad and disappointed, that meant bad news for Seulgi.

"I'm going to get to the point, all your grades have dropped and has come to the point where we cannot help you, we have no choice but take away for scholarship."

Okay. What the hell. How could this happen? All her grades improved, she recalled all her tests and none of which has she failed or even got a low score. Nontheless her heart broke.

"Haha..... you're joking right? Sir?" She could only think of this as a joke, she won't accept it. "But I haven't gotten any low remarks or scores, you can ask my professors they know my grades. They know that I was never failing."

"Ms. Kang, we'd only call you here when we were sure of your grades. We rechecked everything and all the results have come out low. This has been happening for awhile now your are not the first, students with scholarships have been failing and we had no choice but to let them go."

"Sir! Please, I need this scholarship! My mom has a hard time with money and I can't burden her with the school's enrolment and payments. Please you can't do this." Seulgi is already pleading with tears streaming down her face. This scholarship was her ticket to a good future plus the school year was already ending.

"I believe I can. As much as I would love to make you stay it would be unfair to the other students who had lost their scholarships. You are not the only who needs it. I'm sorry but the decision is final. Goodbye Ms. Kang" the principle points at the door as a way to tell her to leave.

She runs out the office. She runs out of the school. She runs. She doesn't care if she was being rude to the principle by barging out of the office but she couldn't think straight.  Her head was spinning and her heart ache so badly.

____________

Seulgi was inside her room, she ignored all the whispers and calls from the staff members (her friends) and walked up the stairs till she arrived in the 18th floor. She dropped to her knees once she went in and cried her heart out. 

Why did this happen to her? Did she do something to deserve this? Why does the world hate me?

How could she tell this to her mom? Her heart would break just as much as Seulgi's. She doesn't want her mom to worry about her and with this her mom would just do about anything to help her daughter. She can't have that, she's supposed to help her mom not the other way around. Her whole world was crashing down.

*Ring* *Ring*

Seulgi fetched for her phone to see Irene calling her. She doesn't know why she wipes her tears and takes a deep breath before answering the call.

"Hey Seulgi, I'm at the Suite right now. How's your-"

"I-irene?" Her voice cracked and shoot it did not come by unnoticed by Irene.

The phone call ends.

____________

Irene never ran as fast as this. She was NOT an athletic person yet she finds herself running down 16 flight of stairs just because she heard the weak voice of Seulgi. Something was wrong, really wrong and she had to do something about it.

She was almost to Seulgi's floor when she ran out of breath and felt dizzy. She breathing really fast but ignored all of this and continued running. Irene was not weak, she'll run around the city for Seulgi. Seulgi who was all smiles and joy doesn't deserve to be sad.

She opened the door to find Seulgi on the floor crying, and it broke her heart. Irene wrapped her arms around Seulgi giving her a hug,  because this is all she could do. Irene doesn't know what to do but she whispers words of comfort and hugs Seulgi.

Irene brought Seulgi to her bed and she was still hugging her as they lay down. She can't help unless she knows the problem. So she asks,

"Do you want to tell me what happened?" Irene rubs the crying girl's back.

​​​​​​"I-i lost my scholarahip." And more tears came out

​​​​​​"Wha-that can't be right. You're the smartest person I know." Irene was shocked and her mind was filled with confusion. What could she do? She can't just tell the school staff that they were wrong and put Seulgi back, and it's not like they'll listen to a game developer.  She could only come up with one thing.

​​​​​​"I'll pay for it, I'll pay for your education." Because that's who she really is, a rich girl with alot of money. Might as well spend it for good.

​​​​​​"N-no I can't have you do that, that's not right." Seulgi declines.

'Why? This is for her, why doesn't she accept?'

"How is it not right? I'm your friend. I WANT to help you."

"I'll feel bad, I don't want to burden you."

​​​​​​"But you can't carry all of this on your own. Let me pay for you. It's the least I can do for all the kindness you've shown me."

​​​​​​"That's not a reason why you should do it!"

​​​​​​"Money can't buy happiness or kindness, Seulgi. Your acts are worth more than that, you my friend are worth more than anything."

Seulgi is stunned by her words and but goes back to decline her offer.

"If you don't accept me paying for your education, if you won't allow me to pay them to let you stay. I'll buy the whole university if I have to."

"..." Buy the whole university?  Impossible but with Irene it's totally possible.

"I'm paying for you and that's final. Now go to sleep."

It was only 5 pm but Seulgi does fall asleep but not before hugging Irene really hard and saying sorry and thank you.

As much as Irene liked to stay with Seulgi more she had to go to her university and fix things. She promises that she'll find out the truth behind this because no way did Seulgi just fail like this. There's something bigger to this. Irene kisses Seulgi's crown before leaving and Seulgi is left alone sleeping.

____________

​​​​​Seulgi wakes up and to find no Irene beside her. Irene really helped her yesterday, she comforted her and gave words of encouragement.  And now she's paying for her tuition, Irene is the best person on earth. Seulgi decides that she has to make up for it, she'll find a job to pay her back even if it takes long.

She sees a purple note stuck on the wall

Good morning, bear! Hope you'll feel better today, I'll visit your classroom at lunch. Don't feel too down, think ahead. You may be suffering now but I promise you that you'll be happy in the future. Seulgi, fighting.

That was enough to make her day.

________________

Seulgi arrives in her classroom and everyone seems to be normal, they're all talking about their grades and class. So it's either they're faking it or they just don't about what happened, but normally things like these tend to travel fast. She walks to her friends and she's met with concerned faces.

​​​​​​"Hey, where were you? After you were called you didn't come back. Nothing bad happened right?" Wendy asks

"Yea​​​​​h, we got dismissed really late so we went to principle around quarter to 6. And he says there's nothing to worry about." Bogum continues

​​​​"Everything's fine just something at the Suite happened,  nothing to worry about." Seulgi lies, she's not sure if she should share it with them. They are best friends. She'll tell them later when the time is right.

School goes by normally and by lunch Irene comes to her classroom just like she said she would. Before she gets to her Wendy and Bogum go to her first. 

​​​​​​"Unnie!! What are you doing here? Seulgi says there was a problem at the suite. We're you asked to go back from work? Seulgi was excused yesterday. "

​​​​​​"U-uhh...." Irene looks at Seulgi confused, "Yeah I did go back, a room flooded."

"Wha? In what floor?"

"The....24th" Irene answers

"But why do you have to go back, isn't your floor higher? "

"It was a big flood."

The 3 students chuckle at her answer, "Irene-noona you don't have to lie to us." Bogum says

"Sorry, I don't recall there being a problem at the suite." Irene then sees Seulgi doing small gestures confusing Irene till she got the message. "Ah, there was inspection. They do that now, they check up on us and our rooms."

"O~kay, anyways Irene is going to treat me lunch so we'll be going." Seulgi hooks her arm around Irene's.

"I am?" This earns Irene a jab on her ribs "Yeah, I am.  Bye guys." 

"Ah, how was the exams by the way?" Irene asks

"Bogum's sad because Seulgi has higher grades than him." Wendy laughs while Bogum looks grumpy. 

"He's not used to be being in the top 5, Seulgi's top 3. I'm top 10." Wendy says. Wow this is some smart group of friends. Irene glances at Bogum and sees him very annoyed, she pulls Seulgi and says her goodbyes.

"You said you'll pay for me to stay, not to make get such high grades." Seulgi says when they're out of earshot. They continue walking out of the campus.

"You probably did get a high grade though. I just increased by a bit." Irene shrugs.

"Bogum and Wendy went to the principal-" Seulgi got cut off when Irene suddenly stopped in front of her. Seulgi sees Irene's expression and sees that she's in deep thought. 

"Can we finish this later?  Let's eat lunch!" Irene says gleefully but in truth her mind was elsewhere since this morning. But she made sure to visit Seulgi just to see if everything was fine, she didn't expect to eat lunch together.  But since it's already happening might as well go with it, besides Irene liked spending time with Seulgi.

 

 

_________________

Hello! This chapter seems to be longer than the past ones. But here it is, sorry for any errors, comment what you like. I pray that I can improve in writing for u. :))

BTW Joohyun's bday is so near, I can't wait

TT-TT