Why This Happened pt. 2

Elevator Girl

"Unnie! Let's gooo!"

Someone calling Irene was outside her room while she was simply minding her own business. Her eyes were fixed and her attention was on the screen. She didn't even flinch when she heard her door being slammed open.

"Unnie! Why are you taking so lo-.... Really?" Yeri came in only to see her older sister busy playing some video game on her computer. She stood there for a few seconds tapping her foot on the floor and before shouting again, "Irene-ah!"

Just as she yelled that Irene finished what she was doing, "Yes! And that's unnie to you!" Irene quickly saved her game and got her things, and rushed outside, Yeri following behind.

"Unnie we're going to be late to school because of you." Yeri whines, she doesn't want to destroy her perfect attendance because of her foolish sister who's obsessed with games. They both enter the car with Mr. Han at the driver's seat, he steps on the gas once the girls put on their seatbelts.

"Like that's ever gonna happen." Irene rolls her eyes as she looks at the gift on her hands. Yeri eyes the wrapped object before asking, "Is that for Joy-unnie?"

"Yeah, it's her birthday today." Irene smiles happily.

"Oh what?! That's today?" Yeri slaps her forehead, how could she forget such an important day. Irene laughs at her sister's panick state and hands her a different gift.

Yeri looks dumbfounded at it. 

"Inside is the gift you wanted to give her, I saw what you wanted to buy when I went to get your dirty clothes. I knew that you'd forget so I bought it for you." Irene says smugly, "I wrapped it myself by the way." 

Yeri was supposed to hug her sister but since the seatbelts were restricting her from doing so she just kept thanking her sister the whole ride, saying that she'd return the favor someday. Yeri was looking at the gift as if it were gold until she remembered something, "I wonder if she'd notice that we'd given her gifts."

Irene raises a brow, "Why do you say that?"

Yeri sighs, "It's just... She's in highschool now, not to mention she moved up a grade, she has a lot of friends and admirers. They probably gonna give her a ton of gifts that she'd probably not care about ours." 

Irene removes her seatbelt and moves closer to the sad girl, she brings Yeri's head to her shoulder and her hair, "C'mon now, you know Joy. She'll be very happy that we got her something besides she likes all the attention." The two sisters laugh at that. "And it doesn't matter how much gifts she gets, it's about who gave it to her. We're her first friends and best friends, our gifts will mean a lot more than all the others."

Hearing Irene's words, Yeri felt better. Joy, with the help of Tutor Irene, was able to move up a grade and now she's only 2 years below the older Bae. She was also being scouted by model agencies, with her height and beauty she had captured the attention of photographers and her fellow schoolmates, she's the IT girl at school. When they finally arrived at their school, the two sisters said their goodbyes before going to their separate classrooms. Irene could see that a bunch of students were crowding around someone, "Probably Joy." Irene continues walking to her classroom.

Luckily for her, despite her shy personality, she was able to make a good highschool friend: Seo Joohyun also known as Seohyun. She was seated beside Seohyun, luckily.

"Oooh~! What's that you got there?" Seohyu  asks as she looks at the gift on Irene's desk. The Bae can feel a lot of teasing heading her way, her friend gets the gift and looks at it. 

"Wow, it's nicely wrapped! It even has a scent." Seohyun comments before putting it back, "It's obvious who's it for." She smirks when she sees Irene cover her face.

"Awww she's getting all shy." Seohyun laughs. The other Joohyun know about Irene's crush on the younger girl, she 'accidentally' read it from Irene's diary, that Irene later burned because she was afraid that someone else might've read it. Let's just say her friend is afraid of fire now. 

"Well you better give the gift face to face because word has it that her locker and desk are filled with gifts." Seohyun tells her.

Irene just nods, "I will give it.... Later though." The two turn their attention when their teacher comes in to start their class. Irene puts her gift away and safe from any harm.

 

____________

Irene was sitting under a tree waiting for a certain chick to come around. The place where she was waiting is rumored to be haunted so not many people go there because they're afraid of what scary thing could appear. Irene's curiosity brought her here (and since she isn't scared of ghosts or anything) and was stunned by the tree's beauty, the atmosphere of the place was calming too. She made it her place that was soon found out by Joy who made it her place as well.

"Irene."

The said girl flinched at the call of her name, she looked up to see Joy standing in front of her. She was all smiles and Irene couldn't help but smile as well. "You took your time getting here." Irene says as Joy goes to sit beside her.

"Well the others made it hard for me to come here and I didn't want anyone follow me here." Joy was munching on some chocolates as she spoke.

"Is that from your admirers?" 

"Uhuh."

"I didn't know it was Valentine's today, why'd they give you chocolates?"

"Because it's a special day today."

"Which is?" Irene asks pretending that she didn't know.

"It's my birthday you pabo!" Joy says before stuffing her chocolate to Irene's mouth. Irene would've laughed at the younger girl's reaction but she had to stop herself from choking on the chocolate. After properly swallowing the sweet food she giggles at Joy who was crossing her arms and eyebrows furrowed.

"I'm just kidding. Happy birthday Joy!" Irene hugs the grumpy girl and tackles her to the ground. They stayed like that for some moments before they realized their position. Irene, who was on top of Joy, had her face really close to the latter so she pulled back before Joy could see her blushing.

*Cough* 

"I got you something." Irene gives her the gift she was hiding. Joy's eyes gleam at the gift and quickly opened it. Inside was a box, and inside that box was another box, and another box after that.

"You're too cheesy with this." Joy said as she had to open yet another box. 

"Just continue."

When Joy opened the last box she gasped when she saw what was the actual final gift. It was two tickets to a Red Velvet Concert, her all time favorite K-pop group. "OMG! Did you actually get me this? How? The concert was sold out in 0.7 seconds!"

Irene just shrugs as if it were no big deal, "Well I guess I was lucky."

There were two tickets inside, "Does this mean I get to bring someone of my choice?" Joy asks.

"It's your gift, your decision." But Irene was kinda hoping that Joy would ask her to go with her, since you know she was the one who got her the tickets and it was really hard to get them. Irene had to go online and find someone who was nice enough to sell the tickets, there many people who did but at a price. Irene ended buying the ticket with two times the price.

Joy tapped her chin, "I was thinking maybe I should invite Sungjae." Joy watched carefully the shorter girl's reaction.

"Sungjae?! The basketball guy? Why him?" Irene didn't like Joy's answer and it frustrates her that she wasn't chosen.

"Because he seems to like me, he's nice and funny, he helped me practice basketball, he-"

"So what? Does he even like Red Velvet?"

"He doesn't have to."

"That's it! If you're gonna give the ticket to someone that doesn't appreciate them or their music, then I'm taking it back." Irene tried to get hold of the ticket in Joy's hand but the taller girl decided to more. She raised her arm as high as she could because she know Irene's too small to reach it.

Irene tried tiptoeing, she tried jumping, she tried pulling Joy's arm down, it didn't seem to work. "Give it back!" When she was able to get a hold on Joy's wrist she smiled thinking she got a chance until Joy pushed and pinned her to the tree, while holding Irene's hand above her head.

Instead of yelling at Joy for doing that, Irene became all flustered and was unsure of what to say. Especially since Joy was leaning closer. "H-hey what are you doing?"

"Remember when we were younger, you told me that you'd date me when I'm taller than you." Joy says slowly, "Well I'm taller than you, will you date me now?"

"I-I ummm" Irene was flabbergasted, she didn't think that Joy would've remembered that and was serious about it. It could be a stepping stone to them getting together if she just answered right now but before she could even get a word out someone came looking for her.

"Joohyun-noona!" The two girls turn their heads to see Bogum smiling at them, well to be specific Irene. The two girls seperated from each other before attending to the boy. Irene walked closer to him while Joy stayed by the tree.

"Oh Bogum-ssi what are you doing here?" She asks.

"Well, I was looking for you of course. I just wanted to say thank you for tutoring me. Because of you from failing I was able get straight As with your help." Bogum smiled his killer smile which would've swooned any girl, but Irene wasn't just any girl. 

"That's no problem. After all that's what a tutor's for, I'm happy for you Bogum-ssi." Irene replies with a genuine happy smile. Bogum just stood there before noticing Joy at the back, "Hi Joy! Happy Birthday by the way."

"Thanks." She waved at him, and his eyes noticed the tickets in her hand.

"Ooh! You're going to the Red Velvet Concert? That's so cool. Are you going too noona? I bought tickets for me and my friend but last minute he said he couldn't make it. So now I have an extra ticket... Do you wanna go wi-"

Irene felt herself being pulled to the side, she was pressed against Joy, "She's going to the concert with me. Sorry Bogum." 

Irene could feel her cheeks turn warm, she felt so giddy inside because she's gonna go to the concert with Joy alone. 'Thanks Bogum!'

Bogum looked down sadly, "Well that's too bad. I'll look for someone else then. Anyways I have to go, but can I talk to you alone noona?" Irene followed Bogum to the corridor and when it was just to the two of them he started talking.

"I know you may see me as a dongsaeng or a tutee, but I really like you Joohyun--noona. Please go out with me." Bogum confesses.

Irene wasn't sure how to respond, "T-that's sweet Bogum-ssi but I like someone else."

Hearing her reply destroyed the hope that Bogum had. He tried covering up with a smile, "I guess I didn't have a chance. But I'm not gonna give up just yet, on the next finals I will be the top of my class and then I will ask you out again. Until then I'm gonna try to woo you."

Irene couldn't even try to tell him it was no use because the younger just left right after. She sighs before going back to Joy, she tells the taller girl what happened.

"Psh! Like hell you'd date him. And get top of the class? He just started getting good grades, like that'll happen." Joy was angry at the fact that Bogum confessed to the person she liked. 

Irene laughs at the younger girl's reaction, "Of course that isn't gonna happen. Besides you're the top of the class, there's no way he'd beat you when I tutored you."

Joy just rolls her eyes before hugging the short girl, "He said he's going to woo you? Well that's not gonna happen not when I'm around. C'mon let's go back to our classes." 

 

And that's what happened, Joy stuck around Irene whenever she could stopping the advances and chances of Bogum. This caused Bogum to be annoyed and grow hate for the tall girl, this lead to him trying to ruin her grades which Irene found out and stopped it. 

They continues their lives, Irene bought Joy her dog, they went out together and bought matching umbrellas: green for Joy and purple for Irene. The older girl bought a yellow one for incase any of them lost their umbrellas and for them to share. They went to the Red Velvet Concert together just like Joy said and they had the greatest time. Well more like Joy had the greatest time. 

They met Sungjae at the venue and all Joy did was talk to him, Irene just focused on the concert and singing the songs. The two were supposed to head back together but Sungjae asked to bring Joy home which Irene hesistantly said yes to.

"Stupid girl, doesn't she know that I wanted to go home with her... Tsk." Irene grumbles as she rides back home. Yeri was busy watching TV when she sees her sister enter the house. Irene just stomps her way to her room leaving Yeri to wonder what happened.

"Did the concert or something?" Yeri questions. But it was as if Irene could hear her or something despite being on different floors, Yeri heard her sister yell,

"IT WAS THE BEST CONCERT EVER. RED VELVET IS THE BEST!" It was followed after by a slam of the door which echoed all throughout their home.

"Then why is she so grumpy?" Yeri asks no one as she continues eating her popcorn.

______________

Irene has been watching, she's seen how Sungjae has been hanging around Joy ever since after the concert. It's been irritating her because that's where she should be, beside Joy, but she doesn't want to be that person that stops their friends from hanging out with other people because of jealousy. 

"If you continue to stare like that I think he'll burn to a crisp." Seohyun interrupts her stare, well more like glaring.

Irene sighs, "I'm not staring, I just so happened to be looking at that direction for a very long time."

"Righhhhttt." Seohyun drags the word with tease. "If you continue to be like this, you're going to lose her."

The doe eyed girl scoffs, "Lose her? Please he isn't even competition." But deep inside she's scared, she knows that Joy and her haven't been spending that much time together because of him, plus people have been shipping them together. She knows that Sungjae is serious about Joy, but what can she do. She's afraid.

"If you say so... I heard he asked her out."

"WHAT!?"

Irene technically screamed that with the way she suddenly stood up and everyone was looking at their direction including Joy. Irene bowed in apology before sitting back down and covering her face in embarrassment. "Did she answer him?" Irene says in a muffled voice.

"Not yet I think." 

The older girl by a few months sighs, she looks up to see Sungjae whispering something in Joy's ear making Irene's blood boil. "Well let's hope she answers correctly.

.

.

.

Irene was running.

She finished her classes only to meet Seohyun with a sad expression, she wondered what was wrong but instead of sad news about Seohyun, she got sad news for herself. Her same aged friend just told her that Joy was on her way to answer Sungjae's confession. 

"Please. Don't let me be too late."

"Please wait for me."

"I don't want to lose you to someone else."

Irene was saying to no one, but she was hoping that her words could reach the younger girl. She participated in relay runs so her running ain't that bad. Luckily for her there weren't that many people in the hallways so she was getting to her destination easier, when she saw Joy's figure from a a far, she could feel hope inside her.

"JOY!"

But before the tall girl could turn around Irene enveloped her in a back hug, she didn't want to see Joy's reaction as she decided to do whatever she feels.

"Don't." She didn't care if everyone in school could see what's happening, she didn't want the taller girl to leave.

"Don't what?" 

"Don't go with him. Don't go with Sungjae." Irene is hugging the girl tighter, scared that she might disappear from her grasp.

"And why shouldn't I? He asked me out. You can't stop me Irene." Irene turns Joy around so that she faces her, she goes on her tiptoes and kisses her.

"Because you're mine." Irene whispers with so much determination and confidence...

​​​​​​Sooyoung ends up laughing while holding Joohyun, "Really? It takes jealousy to make you confess to me?" 

"Shut up." Irene blushes in reply. But when she feels Joy's lips on her she smiles, she didn't care anymore.

She didn't care if others were watching.

She didn't care that their relationship would be looked down upon.

She didn't care that she probably broke Sungjae's heart and chance with Joy, plus countless of other people who had no chance.

All she cared about was that right now in this moment, Joy was hers.

 

__________

Irene was feeling it. She finally got the guts to do it. After months of thinking and support from Joy and Yeri she was going to tell her parents what she wanted.

She was going to pursue her dream of being a game developer, she wasn't going to take any kind of business course. She was taking graphic design, computer science, computer arts, anything that teaches her to reach her dream. She held her breath and prayed to whoever was out there before knocking on the door.

*Knock *Knock

"Come in." She heard her father's voice call her. She went inside her father's office. "Ah, Joohyun. So good to see you, I actually wanted to talk to you."

Irene went to stand in front of his desk, "I want to talk to you about something as well."

Mr. Bae clapped his hands, "That's good. Why don't you start first?" He smiled at his daughter before motioning her to begin.

The teenage girl cleared , "Appa, as you know I'm almost graduating highschool and this is a point in my life where I have to make a big decision about my future. And I've been thinking a lot lately and I got help from Yerim and Sooyoung. I have decided that I-" 

Irene was not able to finish her sentence when she felt her father pat her head lovingly. "I-uhhh..." She was confused why he would pat her like this right now but she didn't hate it or anything. She always wanted to receive pats from her father since she was young because it was his way of showing affection.

"I know what you choose will be the best decision for you and for us. I know you'll make us proud." He says, making Irene sweat, how was she supposed to tell him that she didn't want to take over their company and that she wanted to pursue something else? She felt like she was betraying all what her parents have been doing for her.

"I-I will take Business Management for college. And f-follow your footsteps and continue to make our company better." Irene ended saying, she didn't know why, it just went out . But when her father hugged her and smiled at her she felt like she made the right choice. She could still take a minor in computer arts, she doesn't have to give up her dream entirely, she'll just have to focus on business more. 

"Waaah! I'm so happy, my little girl is all grown up." Mr. Bae pretended to wipe a tear, "Let's celebrate this day, after all you said that this decision is very important. Let's eat out the whole family!"

Irene smiled but she remembered something, "You said you had something to tell me as well."

Mr. Bar snapped his fingers, "That's right! I'm taking a month break from work to spend time with you, Yerim, and mom." 

"Really?!" Irene's shocked face made her father laugh. He patted her head again, "Yup, you better believe it. So your graduation gift is the whole family traveling out to whatever country you want." 

"OMG! Thank you! Thank you!" Irene couldn't contain her happiness and immediately told her mom and sister the great news, she forgot to text Joy about what happened but she could wait.

 

_________

"I'm sorry but YOU SAID WHAT?!"

Irene knew Joy would be shocked but she didn't expect her to react like this. Joy was angry with what Irene had told her about her meeting with her dad, "I thought you told me that you wanted to achieve your dream?" Joy had her hands on her waist while facing the shorter girl.

"I do but rather it being something I would make a living off it's now off a hobby." Irene replies, she's sad of course that she's not doing what she really loves but that doesn't mean she isn't happy with what she'd be doing for her company. Irene's thoughts were disrupted when she felt Joy hug her. She returns the hug and nuzzles her face in Joy's neck in satisfaction.

"I'm sorry that I kinda sound angry, but it's only because I care about you. I don't want you to regret something as big as a college course!" Joy tucks her chin on Irene's head, "If this is what you want then I'll support you."

"I'm so happy that I have a girlfriend like you."

"Anybody would be lucky and happy to have me as their girlfriend." Joy says making Irene pinch her waist, "But I think I'm the luckiest. Because I have someone like you in my life."

"Pfft. Cheesy."

"But you like it."

"Yes I do." Irene separated their hug to look at the younger girl, "How's your modelling gig going? They're treating you properly right?" 

Joy smiles seeing Irene worrying over her, "Everything is going great, I'm getting better at my facial expressions and people are commenting good things about my photoshoots."

"Let's take a photo right now!" Irene took out her phone and gave it Joy because she at taking selfies so she always let's the taller girl do it for her.

"3. 2. 1. Smile!" Irene looks at the photo and frowns, "Can't you smile properly?" She was looking at the supposedly nice photo with Joy showing her double chin.

"But I am smiling properly." 

"We're taking another one." 

"3. 2. 1. Smile!" Irene only glares at Joy when she sees her new pose, her tongue was out and her eyes were crossed.

"Yah! Be serious." She hits the taller girl.

"My fans would love these photos." Joy defends herself, she just wanted to tease the older girl but when she sees that Irene was really glaring at her she stopped. "Okay I promise to do it properly." 

"3. 2. 1. Smile!"

Irene smiles widely as she feels Joy kiss her cheek, the phone capturing it at the exact moment. When they both look at the photo they loved it, Irene went to the three photos and made the first one they took her locksceeen.

Joy was confused, "I thought you didn't like that photo?"

"I didn't say that, I just said to smile properly."

"Then why aren't you using the last photo, isn't that the best?"

Irene nods, "It is but it's ours to keep for ourselves. You're already mine, I don't want others to get any more jealous when they see my locksceen with you kissing my cheek."

"Either way, people don't even know I'm dating you besides those in school. We have to hide our relationship as my career grows, says my manager." Joy sulks because she won't be able to show the world that she was with Irene, well not yet. But she's still young and her manager says she can't ruin her career with a relationship.

"So it's a secret relationship, that's kinda hot." Irene replies making Joy turn red. "Awww you're red, are you shy right now?"

"Nope it's just hot in here."

"Like our secret relationship?"

__________

When Irene caught Joy smoking she felt like she was being a bad girlfriend, how could she not know that Joy was having a hard time and was stressing? Was she so caught up in her classes to not notice this?

Irene was walking towards Joy's home when she saw a fortune teller store, she had time to spare so she went inside. "Welcome my dear, sit down."

A warm voice tells her, it was an old lady smiling at her, yup not creepy at all. Irene sat down and waited till the old lady to give her some cards. She was told to pick 3, so she randomly got some.

"Let's see...

The first card tells me that you are a kind and beautiful person but because of this people easily take advantage of you. You have to be careful.

The second card tells me that you will receive a great pain that will stay with you for very long. You have to protect your heart.

The last card tells me that you will be saved. That you won't have to hurt by yourself, this savior is in a form of a... Bear?"

Irene listened as the old lady spoke, was she making these things up? What she said is scaring her a bit, she paid the old lady and said her thanks before leaving. As she walking a person accidentally bumped her, the person didn't say sorry, but the friend who was following behind apologized instead. Irene couldn't see her face but she saw the bag, it was a bear keychain.

Today has been very tiring, she had to spend all nighters for the past week on their group project which she technically did 90% of it. Really, like it's college! How could people still not help in group projects at this age? What made it worse was that her group got the highest mark and all her group mates make it seem like they did something.

Irene sighs, "Could this day get any worse?" She entered Joy's house, she's been going there whenever it was near the weekend, both their parents don't seem to mind it. The first time she went here Joy was nervous, the taller girl was part of a "poor" family, it was hard for them to even send all their children to school. That's why Joy took her modelling seriously because it pays big. She was nervous that Irene would look down upon her because of the status difference but Irene didn't care about that, it just made her love Joy even more.

She said hi to Joy's younger sisters before heading up to the girl's room. "I'm coming in." She said before entering. She saw Joy lying on her bed her back facing her, "Hey, you tired?" 

Irene sat next to the taller girl and made her face her, she was shocked to see Joy crying. "What the matter? Why are you crying?" She pulled Joy up to hug and comfort her. But instead Joy pushed her away. 

"W-why?'

"Don't come here anymore." 

Irene was stunned, did Joy actually say that to her? "C'mon you don't mean that, tell me why you're like this."

"I don't want you here. Is it that hard to understand?"

But Irene stood her ground, "Yes, in fact I find it hard to believe."

"Then hears something to believe. This is fake. Our relationship is fake. I was bribed by your father to become your friend, so that you wouldn't be lonely and so that I could persuade you to take over his business. Ever since the start, it was an act."

Irene couldn't take in that information, Joy wouldn't joke about this, but she doesn't understand. Why is this happening? Why now?

"I don't believe you." Was all that Irene could say, what else could she say? Was she supposed to believe then and there that her whole life growing up with Joy was fake and planned by her father? It had to mean something, you can't fake forever.

Joy rolled her eyes, "Whether you do or not, it's the truth. Now get out of here before I force you out!" 

Getting scared of Joy's sudden raise of voice Irene got her things and backed away, before leaving the room she said, "I love you..." The door was shut separating two girls with broken hearts, Irene went back to her house while Joy cried in her room.

Irene was hurt, hurt like never before. How could Joy do this to her?..... Wait this isn't her fault, it was her father's fault. Why did he do this to her? To both of them? She marched up to her father's office where she saw both Yeri and him talking at the couch. Her sister was shocked to see Irene's tears but when she was about to go to her sister, her father told her to leave.

Yeri gave a short hug to her sister before leaving the two alone. Mr. Bae stood up and went to stand in front of his daughter knowing full aware of why she was here. "I take it that Joy told you the truth?"

"Yes." Amazingly Irene didn't shout, instead she wanted to clear this mess up as orderly and calmly as possible because she knows if she puts in her feelings she doesn't know what will happen.

"That stupid girl. I told her just to break up with you, not tell you the damn truth." Mr. Bae said spitefully.

"She's not stupid!" 

"Well she is, her family and her decided to bet her life in befriending you so that they could have some money."

"That wouldn't happen if you didn't ask this from them."

He crossed his arms, "I was only thinking of what's best of you. I wanted you to have a friend that you could trust. That I could trust. So when I found out you were dating it was perfect, Sooyoung could easily tell you what to do because you're basically in love with her, she was supposed to lead you to the path towards to me but she suddenly wanted the opposite. She was this close to succeeding too. She was starting to be a hindrance so I told her to break up with you, after all you don't need her."

Irene clenched her fists, how could he do this? What kind of father is he? To think he'd go so far as this just to have her take over his company. But the thing was that wasn't the only thing he wanted, what Mr. Bae wanted was to have Irene as his puppet in the company, he knows when he retires he'll have no power but with Irene he could easily control everything because Irene was a daddy's girl.

"I don't need you. I hate you and I'm not working for the company." She replies.

"You have no say in this. You will listen to what I say, you are nothing without me, you are nothing with Bae Enterprises, you are definitely nothing with or without that useless gir-"

*SMACK

Mr. Bar felt a stinging pain in his cheek, his daughter just slapped him. He was so angry he was about to hit her back but Irene ran out of the room. He shouted for her to come back but she didn't listen, she grabbed Yeri and ran out of the house.

"You're nothing without us too."

 

_________

Joy received a knock on her door, she opened it to see Irene standing outside. She was about to close the door when Irene's small hand stopped her.

"Please listen to me." Joy just let her be, she didn't have the energy to fight back and she badly missed the older girl's voice, it's been weeks since they last saw each other.

Irene took a deep breathe, "I believe you when you say that you paid to befriend me. But you're also lying, I've known you for how many years and I love you, I know when you're lying. Our relationship wasn't fake, maybe it was to you in the beginning but as we got to spend time together it became real. I love you and you love me, that's realest thing to me. I'm here to tell you something...

 

I'm leaving."

 

Irene's last sentence made Joy worry, "Leaving? Where?"

"I don't know yet... But somewhere he won't find us."

"Us?"

"You and me. Let's leave together, I know this is stupid and we're only young but I don't want to live a life as some tool. I was able to transfer a large amount of money to a untraceable bank account that my father doesn't know. We can live off that for awhile." Irene was telling her plan with confidence despite knowing that it wasn't the best.

"What about Yeri? You're going to leave her here?"

Irene shakes her head, "Of course not. I'm taking her with me, she doesn't know about this whole thing yet. She just thinks I had a fight with my dad."

Joy was tempted to go but she couldn't, not when her family needed her right now. Mr. Bae had stopped giving them money and they were now in debt, and as their breadwinner she couldn't leave. "I'm sorry Irene but you should go." Joy removed Irene's hand from the door, her soft hand, the hand that she always held close. 

"I'll wait for you." 

Joy looked at her confused.

"I'll wait for you. I'll stay at the bridge by the river at 8:00 pm for your decision. I love you." After that Irene ran away, Joy just watched as she disappeared from view.

"I'm sorry."

 

_________

Cold. Noisy. Dark.

Those were the three things Irene felt, it was raining hard and noisily. It was already 10 pm and she' been standing their without an umbrella waiting for the taller girl to come. She could feel herself getting lightheaded, she's going to get sick no doubt.

"Please come..." She whispers to herself but she couldn't even hear her own words. She flinches when sees lightning flash and she covers her ears when the thunder booms. She was afraid but she she had to wait, she trusts that Joy will come.

She saw a figure walking towards her and she smiled, but as she saw the person clearer she got scared instead.

"What are you doing here?"

Mr. Bae grinned at her, "That should be my question. You're going to get sick here, let's go home." He opened his arms.

Irene stepped back, "No way."

Mr. Bae just sighed in defeat, "If that's what you want. I don't need you then." 

"What?"

It all happened so fast, her father was in front of her and pushed her off. She fell of the bridge and into the dark river.  Shescreamed for help but it was too late, her screams were overlapped by the waters. And the next thing she knew she was drowning, because of the great fall she felt herself collide with some rocks, she could feel something warm. Was that her blood?

Some fortune teller, is a bear going to swim and save me? I think my future just stopped at the great pain part.

But I can't die not like this. I need to protect Yeri, I need to be with Joy. Don't let me die.

 

___________________________________________________

thank you for subscribing and upvoting my story it makes me so happy. The story has been going on for more than a year and I'm glad that there are people still reading. Sorry if the story seems rushed :(

There are different types of elevators:

Express elevators – They do not service all floors, but instead only selected parts of the building. Most notably they move passengers from the building lobby to the top floor/sky lobby.