All In a Day's Work

Elevator Girl

"Hello, I'm Irene Bae and I'll be working with you from now on. Please take care of me." Irene does a 90° bow in front of all her other co-workers as she receives a round of applause. It's not everyday that the CEO's daughter is going work with you. After some small talk, Irene arrives at her desk with the others, she doesn't have a big role right now, she opted to start small and rise up the ranks as she works. Plus she doesn't want others to feel as if she was superior over them.

You're probably wondering what happened. Well let's go back.

_____________

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay longer?" Seulgi asks the older girl her luggage is places at the back of the taxi. The weekend is almost over and now Seulgi has to go back to Seoul. 

"I'm very sure, besides you need to go back. I don't want to have you missing classes." Irene replies as she hugs her one last time before she'll leave.

"I can miss a few classes and still ace it." Seulgi boasts playfully earning her a punch in the arm. 

"Whatever smart girl." Irene rolls her eyes and finally waves goodbye to the younger girl, "Call me when you get back, okay?"

"I will. See you when you get back!" Seulgi rolled down the window to continue their conversation. Irene comes closer to the car.

"Yup, I'll cool our favorite tteokbokki!" Irene says with glee and anticipation.

"You mean your favorite." Seulgi pokes Irene's nose. "Bye, Joohyun." Seulgi gives a quick kiss on the cheek and off she goes. Irene watches until she can no longer see the taxi, she takes a deep breath before entering back to her house. Yeri is out at the moment and her parents are home right now. Irene went to her father's study room and knocked on the doors. After hearing a 'come in' she went inside and saw her father sitting on his chair reading a newspaper.

"Morning father." She greets him with a small bow before standing in front of him. Without looking at her he asks, "Seulgi left already?"

"Yes."

"Nice girl, that she is. I'm sorry I wasn't able to say goodbye to her."

"It's okay."

Irene was waiting for her father to look at her but it seems that whatever was on the newspaper was more interesting that talking to her. Irene was hear to speak her mind and tell her final decision, which is until her parents retire or something major happens that causes her parents to step down (ex. Health issues) she will not work for Bae Enterprises.

"I wanted to talk to you about my future." She knows that this will capture he father's attention and it does as she sees him slowly put the newspaper down. 

"Now why would you want to talk about something that you already decided on?" Irene could tell that her father was trying to play oblivious on what she was really talking about.

"Seulgi got me thinking, we visited the company and she said that I looked great working there. That comment made me happy and that's why I'm here to talk with you."

That even though I want to make you proud of me, I want to continue doing what I love to do most. I know that you've been waiting for me to join you and Mom but I think it isn't the time yet. I'm sorry.

These were the words that Irene was going to say, she was so ready, "I am no-"

"You're going to work in the company!" Mr. Bae's enthusiastic voice interrupts her. He stands up with Joy and walks around the table to get to his daughter.

"No! I came he-"

.

.

.

Irene stopped talking entirely, her father who seemed a bit distant when she woke up from her coma, her father who always has a cold demeanor, her father who is always thinking about their business, her father who is patting her head right now.

Irene couldn't get a single word out when she stares at her father's smile, he looks so genuinely happy even though she didn't even get to say what she wanted. 

''Why am I always like this whenever someone does this to me?'

Her father says, "I'm so proud of you." While continuing to gently pay her head. Unknowingly, Irene eyes start to water, it was like her body moved on her own, opened and said the words she didn't want to say, "Yes, I am going to work for the company." But for some reason she didn't seem to hate the idea as much as a minute ago. 

'​​​​​​Why? Why did I say that? Take it back!'

Mr. Bae gives his daughter a tight hug, "Thank you. You don't know how happy me and your mom is about this."

I'm proud of you. 

The words of her father ring in her ears. It repeats in her brain and all Irene feels is happiness, why? Why does he have to say that when it's something she doesn't want to do? Why can't he proud of something she loves? And yet here she is accepting those words and not even bothering to correct him. If it makes them proud and happy, she'll do it.

___________

"Irene-ssi! It's an honor to work with you." A guy comes up to her and offers her a handshake, different from all the other people who are too afraid to talk with her unless necessary. 

She takes his hand, "Thank you Mr..?"

"Suho, Kim Suho." He smiles at her, "When we were told that the daughter of the CEO was going to work with us in Seoul we expected Yeri-ssi but instead you were the one. We didn't know he had another daughter." 

That's right. After the incident her parents made sure to erase any existence of her so that the public couldn't talk bad about their family name or company. "I decided to keep a low profile before going into the business. But this is just part time."

"Part time?" He asks.

"Yes, I actually have a different job. I'll only be here for three days: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday." Suho wanted to ask more about her but they had to get to work. He returned to his desk and gave her a thumbs up and whispered 'fighting' to her. Luckily he was just a few desks away, Irene was happy to have at least someone friendly to her at her new working place.

_________

Irene was knocking on the door to Seulgi's unit. She and Seulgi have been staying in the younger girl's unit since they got together. Irene complained about having to living many floor higher than her when they can just stay together. So now Irene has some things in Seulgi's unit so that she can stay there most of the time, she only goes to her own when she needs some work stuff.

Hearing no reply on the other side, Irene got out the extra keys and unlocked the door herself. It's already night time so Seulgi should be home by now, either that or she's studying out with Wendy. 

'But she would have texted me...'

Irene put her things down and slumped on the couch. She just started working but there was a lot to do already, she had to come up with proposals for the new event coming up and at the same time assist other people. She closed her eyes and tried to rest. Suddenly the lights turned off.

"Hehhh... Is there a blackout?" Irene stands up but she can see out her window that the older buildings had electricity. Was it their building only? She tried to find her phone to use its flash light but she couldn't find her bag in the darkness.

She heard footsteps coming towards her.

'OMG did the ghost follow me home?! Stay in fricking Daegu! I like horror but I don't want it to actually happen to me. Seeing one is different from being a victim with one!' 

Irene was ready to punch the ghost and she didn't care if her hand would go through it, no way she was going down without a fight. When she felt the presence of someone behind her she turned around and swung her arm, and punched with all her strength.

There was a loud sound and the first thing that Irene noticed is that whatever she hit was pretty solid. She blinked once. Twice. And saw a groaning Seulgi cupping her cheek in pain.

"Seulgi?! Wha-" She quickly went to her side and held her wounded cheek. 

"I'm sorry, I was just trying to surprise you." The younger girl's says, smiling at her girlfriend, "I didn't expect this to happen."

"Surprise me with what?" Irene asks, Seulgi pulls her hand and brings her to the dining area, there was small light coming off from 2 candles, and a dinner prepared and all ready to eat. 

Seulgi scratched the back of her name, "I wanted to surprise you with a candle light dinner, you got back from Daegu and started out your new job. And I thought we should celebrate it."

Irene looks at the food and she grimaces, "Did you cook this?" She didn't want to offend the younger girl but the last time and only time Seulgi cooked it almost burned the whole building.

Seulgi laughs and nods her head but Irene doesn't believe her. The raven head walks to the trashcan and opens it, only to see plastic wrappers and containers. "You bought it." It was Irene's turn to laugh. 

Seulgi pouts, "I'm sorry I don't know how to cook. But I promise you that the food I bought is yummy." Seulgi walks closer to the shorter girl.

"Don't worry, I'll do all the cooking for us." Irene says and it makes both of them smile. The two now sit down to eat. They talked about their day, especially Irene's day at work. 

"Are you happy?" Seulgi asks as they wash their plates and utensils, she was worried that she only pushed Irene to doing something she doesn't like. 

"Of course I'm always happy when I'm with you." She replied immediately.

"I meant with working at your company?"

"I'm happy, don't worry." 

Seeing Irene smile was the only reassurance that Seulgi needed, now she didn't have to feel guilty for having to talk with the older girl about her joining her father's company. Everything will fall in place.

"Did you make any new friends?" Seulgi asks as she wipes the plates with a towelette.

"It's not school, I'm not acquired to make friends." Irene sighed, she hates the fact she can't make the first step in trying to get to know others. Being an introvert sure is hard. 

"But you can't be lonely in your job, you're going to make me want to work with you so you won't be alone." 

She laughs, "Finish school first... Someone did talk to me. His name is Suho and he seems nice, I think I'll stick to him if I ever need a friend."

"That's good." Seulgi was done drying all the utensils and plates when she felt water hit her face. She stares shocked at the goofy grin of the shorter girl. "Did you just?!"

Irene smiles with glee, "That's what you get for acting so serious about my work life, c'mon I'm a grown up I can handle myself." She let's water pour into her cupped hands and spray it at the younger girl. 

"Wahh! Don't hit the things I've just dried." Seulgi protects all the plates and utensils before trapping Irene into a hug. After she's sure that Irene is secure in her hands she gets a cup and fills it up with water.

"Seulgi. Seulgi. Seul! Please don't!" She says while trying to get out of the bear's arms.

"This is what you get for punching me and spraying me with water!" Seulgi pours the cup of water right on top of Irene's head. 

.

.

.

The two end up laughing at their own childishness. They both had to change into different clothings. Irene lay down on the bed with Seulgi beside her, "Thank you."

"For what?"

"For this opportunity, I think I can get closer with my parents this way but I was too afraid to take it. I guess it's because I'm afraid. Afraid to be like them, too busy. I was also afraid I'd lose my way, the business world is really scary and different. But now, I'm not afraid because I have you."

"And I'll always be there with you, every step of the way." Seulgi kisses the girl's forhead softly. "I'll finish my studies and I'll help you in every way I can."

"If I get into trouble you mean, Prosecutor Kang I'm in your hands." Seulgi blushed hearing Irene calling her prosecutor.

"Yeah. Yeah. Goodnight CEO Bae." Irene hit her arm instead of closing her eyes.

"Yah! I'm not a CEO, I'm normal' game developer."

"Oops, my bad."

 

_________________________________________________

I'm sorry for the long wait and only giving you a short chapter. Something happened back at home and stuff..... Had to go to hospital for a whole week to visit someone important to me :( so I wasn't able to focus on my work. 

Happy belated Seulrene day :)

Also did you see Seulrene's dance with Hyoyeon?! It's sooooo good!!!

Sry for my mistakes