Old Friend

Elevator Girl

"I have amnesia."

'Oh' Seulgi thought, well she didn't know how to react. What do you say? 'I'm sorry?' But what did Seulgi do? Or 'I'm sorry to hear that?'... Irene probably heard that line too many times.

But luckily Irene could tell that the younger was having a hard time to respond. So she continued to tell her story. 

"I woke up 2 years ago in the hospital not knowing who I was, where I was, or anything. All I had a was name, Irene. Apparently my doctor told me I was found by the river bank, I was supposed to be dead but luckily someone saw me in the water and saved me."Irene looked at the gloomy sky. Seulgi showed no sign of talking so she continued. 

"I continued my studies and tried to regain my memories. Nothing seemed to come back to me but I do get nightmares about the past or times where a piece of memory would give me a headache. I asked my parents to move me to Seoul and allow me to be a game developer, fortunately they agreed. But I'm known as Irene now..... no one knows how I got this name, but I wanted to use since its all I could remember." She smiled at her name, Irene felt like it held an important meaning. She finally turned to Seulgi with smile shown on her face.

"I'm sorry you had to go through a hard time. Losing memories is a big thing. And thank you for telling me this, that was brave of you. I promise I'll help you get those memories back, better yet I'll help you make new ones." Seulgi said.

"But what if I don't want my memories back?" Irene questioned, "I mean, do I really need it? The only reason why people help me get my memories back is that they get the old me back, they just want Joohyun." Irene balled her hands into a fist.

"What's wrong with me being like this? I don't wanna stress about being someone I don't even know. When I was finishing my last year in college, everyone would try to help me and say that we we're 'friends' before when in reality they weren't. They'd use my amnesia as a way to get closer to me." Irene scoffed at that.

"Then don't change. What matters is what you want. Don't care about the people who have no place in your life, but care about those who do and those accept you as Irene or... whatever your real name is."

"Joohyun."

"Yeah, Joohyun. I think if I knew you before I'd wouldn't mind you having to change. I mean it's not your fault you lost your memories, and.... And..." Seulgi was having a hard time to find encouraging words. This is her first time meeting someone with amnesia.

"Thank you." Seulgi stopped trying to find the right words as she listened to Irene. "You're the first person I've told since I came here and it feels so much better to tell someone you trust." Irene exhaled a sigh of relief and stood up to stretch. "Your words.... even if you were having a hard time to talk about something you don't know. You helped alot."

"May I ask one thing though?" Seulgi asked,

"Sure."

"How come there's no sign of a Bae Joohyun anywhere? Wendy told me she tried to find info about you but there was none. It's like you disappeared."

"Yeah, I was quite amazed Wendy remembered me as Joohyun. How did she know it was me?"

"When she sees something interesting or anything like gossip or scandal she remembers it. She has very good memory." Seulgi explained.

Irene smiled as she imagined Wendy talking ninstop about anything. "Well, to tell you the truth, the reason why there's no Bae Joohyun is because my parents hid me from the public.The accident where I was found in the water.... they say I jumped of the bridge. They said I tried to commit suicide, so what do you think the press will say if one of Korea's best family's daughter tries to commit suicide? They'd think of anything, that maybe my family is a mafia, drug dealers, or abusing me. I mean I should have the perfect life why would I want to kill myself?"

This was no lie, Irene would notice how the press would react to the simplest things about famous people and make a big deal about it. Changing to fit the public's taste and literally changing it to make them look bad. It's saddening and Irene understands if her parents had to cover the accident up, but her entire existence she had no idea. So far it's been a good thing for her,  no one really pays attention to her and all the people that knew her were payed to shut up and not tell anyone.

"Well, I'm pretty sure Taeyong and Wendy has been waiting for their drinks. Here's the money, I'm gonna go to the restroom." Irene gave Seulgi the money before heading her way to the entrance of the arcade. Irene looked up and saw the sign hanging saying "Restroom this way". 

She could hear boys's laughter, she turned her head to see Jisung and his friends. There were 7 of them in total making their way to the entrance, they bowed to her respectively and greeted her.

"Hi noona! Me and friends are finally here. Where's Taeyong-hyung?" Jisung asked,

"He's inside with Wendy." Irene replied, the boys then thanked her and went on their way but Jisung and his other friends stayed behind.

"Noona, this is Chenle, my best friend. Chenle, this is Irene-noona." Irene showed a small nod to the younger boy. "By the way noona, there's this woman at the parking lot who's waiting for you." Irene looked at him confused, Chenle hit Jisung's arm "She's not just 'this woman'! She's one of the greatest models of this generation, Park Sooyoung." 

Upon hearing the name Irene felt like something was up to no good. Irene bid the boys farewell as she made her way to the parking lot, well not really it was raining. So she stayed under the roof and saw Sooyoung, with umbrella in hand, come out of a black Lykan HyperSport.

"What can I do for you Ms. Sooyoung?" Irene asked immediately as the taller woman was now under the shelter from the rain. Irene noticed the woman's clothes, a blue blouse with a white, tight skirt probably on her day off.

"I thought it was a great day to go walking but it started to rain. Such a shame really, the rain's making the day seem so...... gloomy." Was her response.

"Just because it's raining doesn't make it a nice day." Irene replied, remembering the words Seulgi told her when they met.

"But you were never one who liked rain." She said, catching Irene off guard. 

'WTH! How does she know that?! Am i that obvious?She's probably here for payback...did she dig dirt on me or something. What's her plan for coming here? She's gonna kill me for helping Seulgi at court!! But she doesn't know that I helped.... I'm too young to die!! Aishh, I shouldn't think bad of others. STOP'

"Lucky guess. Now answer me, why are you here?" She asked once again keeping her cool. Irene looked like her normal self in the outside but inside she's freaking out man.

"I came to see an old friend. Literally an old friend and a haven't seen her in a long time friend." Sooyoung laughed at her words.

"Yah! You callling me old?!"

Irene exclaimed....but once realizing what she said she covered with her hand. Her response  just came out naturally. But the taller one wasn't referring to her, but she replied back like that, and she doesn't know Sooyoung.....or does she?

Irene's thoughts were disrupted by the woman's laughter and Irene swore it sounded familiar. "I'm sorry, but you looked so angry and cute at the same time." She started patting Irene's head.

And as much as Irene wanted to yell at her for even touching her, she couldn't. The pats, why does it always affect her and the way Sooyoung would do it would give such a familair touch.

"Ooops, now was probably not the time to do that." She retreated her hand and smiled. "You look good in glasses." She complimented.

"Uhhhh thanks? Wait a minute.... stop! You said you came to see an old friend, go to her." Expecting the model to start walking away instead she took a step forward. "I am with her. Hello, Irene-unnie!" Sooyoung gave her a big smile which made the latter more confused. 

"Let me explain first! Firstly, I know about your amnesia, and we actually met before. We were friends despite our back in Daegu. I gave you your nickname, Irene." Sooyoung said quickly but understandably. She gave off this excitement that didn't seem to reach Irene's current mood.

"You gave me a nickname too. Remember?" Upon hearing these words Irene's head started banging like a drum. She almost stumbled down and it the hard, cold pavement if it were not for Joy...........Joy! That was her name.

" Y-Your name, the one I gave you, was Joy right?" Listening to her nickname Joy nodded her head eagerly. But Irene's head didn't stop banging, the pain was still there. Something was there, something important. Irene wanted to reach out to it but she felt too weak to do so.

"Hey, stop trying to remember. Let it come naturally and don't force yourself." Joy said calmly. But seeing that the older was not listening, "Listen to my voice and focus on it."

Joy talked as soothingly possible and Irene listened until the banging was gone. There was sweat dripping down her forehead. "Aigoo, you're sweating." Joy got the handkerchief from Irene's back pocket in her pants and started wiping her forehead. The fact that she knows where it was kept proves that they were indeed friends.

"This isn't my first time hearing somebody telling me 'we're best friends' but you're the only one that sounds believable. If you are my best friend, I have so many questions." Joy returned the hanky back to Irene and didn't respond.

"How come this is my first time hearing this? Nobody talked about you. She never talked about you. You were still a new model by the time I woke up from my coma, so you had time to visit me. Why didn't you?" Irene looked so hurt, so confused. Her life when she woke up seemed so fake, everyone was fake except her family. And now she knows she had a best friend but that best friend didn't even bother showing up.

"I'm amazed you knew about me being still new to the modeling industry during that time. Awww you researched about me." Joy joked but then her phone started ringing. She had to go.

"I'm sorry, I know your confused and you want answers.  I'll tell you, someday. I promise." Raising her umbrella she went back to her car and drove off leaving Irene all one.

'Joy... the name I gave her. She's my bestfriend.' Irene stood still until she started waling to the rain as she tried to comprehend what just happened. And a memory struck her.

 

FLASHBACK <<<

Irene, with her raven hair down and no glasses, was tapping her foot impatiently as she stood outside the car. She was holding her phone really tight and had a very huge urge to throw it away.

Joy, her stupid best friend, wanted to stop by somewhere before heading to the car. She didn't tell Irene where and she still hasn't come back. Checking her watch she noticed that its been 20 minutes already so Irene told her driver to go home ahead and that she'll find Joy herself.

Irene decided to walk around the area and retrace her steps. Finding no luck, she thought of the places where Joy could've gone and thought of one place. There was an ice cream stand near the park where they always go and that's where Irene's feet took her.

Seeing as Joy wasn't there, she started to lose hope and getting scared for her friend. It was really dark and there seemed to be no one around, no animals, and no cars. It was deadly silent besides Irene's breathing. So she tried to call her again, hey 50th try is gonna work right?

*Ring *Ring

Irene could hear Joy's ringtone, how convenient for the younger to always let her volume be all the way up. Irene headed to the sound which was located in a small alleyway and saw the worst thing imaginable. A man was carrying an unconscious Joy in his arms, and he was bringing her to his car!

Despite Irene's smaller frame and low disadvantage she has the fricking courage. Instead of yelling to the guy, she quickly dialled the police and tried to find something to defend her self with. All she found was a dusty old pipe, well atleast she could whack him with it.. so before the man enter the car Irene finally let him know her presence.

"I don't know who you are but please give me back my friend. The police are on their way and I already memorized your plate number. Even if you get away I'm going to hunt you down and kill you myself for what you've done. If I see even a scratch on Joy I'm gonna beat you up with this." Irene sounded deadly serious and the pipe actually looked really threatening.

But the man quickly went inside the car. And was about to drive off but Irene threw the pipe straight at the window. Breaking the glass and scaring the man. The shards of the glass cut the man making him stop from driving off.

Irene ran to the car and checked the back seat and there she was. Joy seemed to not have any pain right now but she wasn't moving.... her breathing it was slow and soft. He poisoned her!! As much as she really wanted to beat him up, Irene  carried Joy out of the car in a piggyback position. She was 10 steps away when she heard the sound of the man walking. She turned to see him holding a gun and looking so angry.

"You b*tch! You'll pay for this!!" He was about to press the trigger but the sound of police cars interrupted them and the next thing they knew police men were everywhere.

Irene brought Joy to the hopsital and she stayed there ever since. The poison was gone but Joy still hasn't woken up. Irene read about the man's attempt to kidnapp Joy, apparently he was told to bring her somewhere and was paid to do so.

If it was up to Irene she would have asked him to be executed. But the man's family kept disagreeing and asking for a trial. But how were they gonna win against Irene? So instead he was left to stay in jail until either his years of jail was over or to give him punishment in time.

Irene could never forget the day when Joy woke up, she was filled with happiness but that happiness died instantly as she saw Joy's tears. Joy was extremely scared and scarred of what happened to her. And Irene was left to console her.

PRESENT >>>

'I helped her.. that man was Seulgi's dad. He tried to give her away for money! No wonder why he knew me. He's guilty not innocent. And I let him go!! But... the Kangs need him, they think he's innocent. So I helped my best friend by putting him to jail but by releasing him I helped Seulgi but hurt Joy....'

Irene's thoughts were going eveywhere. She didn't know what to do,  her head was spinning. All she wanted to do was help but by doing so she hurt someone else. Should she regret or be ok with releasing Mr. Kang from jail?! The rain started pouring really hard and it was not helping her. She just needs someone to hold her, calm her, and tell het everything's going to be ok.

Someome from above must've heard her because Seulgi was making her way to Irene.

"Hey! Wht are you doing there?" Seulgi stepped into the heavy rain, where she got soaked instantly, held Irene's arms and tried to pull her under shelter until she was suddenly wrapped around Irene's arm into a hug. She was going to talk again but she heard Irene's cries and decided to stay quiet. Seulgi started brush Irene's hair and comfort her friend.

Sometimes the best thing to do when somebody is crying is to just let them cry. Don't ask them what's wrong because that'll just make them cry more.

"I don't know what to think or do anymore, Seul. I'm so confused and I just wished that everything just didn't happen. I wish things weren't like this." Irene cried. Irene started to feel tired and dizzy, she was standing in the rain for how many minutes. With a lightening strike and a clap of thunder Irene's world turned black.

 

 

_______________________________________________

Wahhh! :(( I'm so sorry thisupdate took really long. I was really busy and felt really guilty everyday for not updating faster. Hope you enjoyed the chapter, forgive me if it and for the errors. Thnks for commenting, subscribing, and upvoting.

Ill either update once or twice a month. Im not exactly a free person with a lot of time. :(

So for forgiveness imma tell u a fun fact about me:

I actually dislike riding elevators, they give me a headache.