016 - Sacrifice

[HAITUS] Friends.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Here’s your schedule. Meeting at 9am with the board of directors in Japan, and another at 1pm with Mr Kobayashi, Mr Ito and Mr Gong.” Mr Lee briefed Myungsoo once he got on the car at the airport. He nodded, still reading through the files to make sure that he’s got everything down. “Mr Kim-”

“Don’t call me that, it’s awkward. Just call me Myungsoo like when I was younger.” Mr Lee has seen Myungsoo grown from a baby to a young adult since he worked in the house for almost 20 years. He’s almost like an extra family member to him.

Both of the meetings went smoothly. They were welcoming of Myungsoo which made him less nervous. However, he didn’t want to be known for only being ‘the CEO’s son’. He wanted to prove himself, especially since he was tasked with this.

For the next few days, he worked non-stop, pulling all-nighters almost every day. Woohyun and Chorong were already in Japan but he hasn’t had the time to meet them. Even though the problem was serious, the process wasn’t as bad as Myungsoo thought it was going to be. The employees were very effective and he was given a lot of help and advice by the experienced. He would be frowning and expressionless the whole day but a single text from her would light his face up.

 

Naeungie: I miss you :(

Naeungie: Work hard and come back <3

 

He quickly replied with a heart and “Me too :(“ before anyone else could see it. “Mr Kim,” Mr Gong halted Myungsoo in his steps. “The topic we were having, shall we discuss more over lunch?” He asked. Myungsoo nodded.

 

 

 

“…Yes. I think that this is plausible.” Myungsoo stated.

“Good.” Mr Gong continued, “By the way, Mr Kim, I have… something to ask you… In private.” Myungsoo asked Mr Lee to leave politely, to Mr Gong’s request.

“I hope to speak to you now as your father’s friend, a shareholder and as an elder.” Mr Gong said. “Do you know about the company’s crisis?” He asked straightforwardly.

“Yes.” Myungsoo responded with a serious tone. He overheard his father’s conversation with the CFO over the phone. His father was shouting, angrily. It was very unlike what his father is normally. Judging from how Mr Gong wanted to speak to Myungsoo in private, he could see what’s coming next.

“You’re going to ask me to marry another chaebol.” Myungsoo stole Mr Gong’s words. “How did you-”

“Predictable. But sorry, no. I’m not going to do so.”

“If you care about the company, you will do so. PQ Industries, the largest manufacturer in Asia. Their founder, Mr Park, has a granddaughter. She’s around your age.”

“No.” Myungsoo remains stern.

Mr Gong scoffed. “It sure is nice to be young and hot-blooded.” He folded his arms across his chest. “You said you know about the company’s crisis. I believe you don’t know the seriousness of this. Business isn’t a playground. The shareholders are starting to be skeptical about your father. The stock and sales are dropping-”

“It is normal, it’s not the sales season now. Fluctuations are to be expected.”

“It’s hit a new low this time and some major shareholders and investors are negotiating to pull out. Here’s the statistics.” Mr Gong pulled out a file and placed it on the table.

“Marriage won’t solve everything.”

“KID! You’re being very persistent. I’ve been in this industry for as long as you’ve been alive. Marriage is the strongest legal bond to nail down investors and shareholders. It solves almost all the problems. This is business we’re talking about. Love doesn’t exist. If things don’t go your way, you sacrifice insignificant things to make it go according to your will. This time, it’s your little girlfriend.”

“DON’T CALL HER THAT.” Myungsoo slammed the table and shot up in anger. His fists were clenched tight. Mr Lee rushed in as soon as he heard the noises. “Is everything alright, Mr Kim?”

“I know you’re a smart kid, Myungsoo. Make the right choice. Call me by tomorrow if not, I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter