Daddy And The Gangster - Chapter 6

Daddy And The Gangster

"What the hell happened to you?" Dongwoo asked when he saw the sight of Woohyun's bruised face the next morning.

Woohyun shrugged casually.  "Nothing."

"If it's a fight, you should have called us," said Dongwoo.  "Are you alright?"

"Fine," Woohyun replied.

Dongwoo sighed.  Judging from Woohyun's one word answers, Dongwoo figured that Woohyun probably didn't want to talk about whatever happened last night so he dropped the subject.  "Are you going to pick up the kid today?"

Before Woohyun could reply, the teacher stepped in the door.  He sighed when he saw the sight of Woohyun's bruised face but said nothing.


As usual, the young man stood at the door to greet the parents who had come to pickup their children.  He was surprised when he saw a tall man in a business suit step through the door.

"I wasn't expecting to see you today," said the young man.  "I thought you said that your brother would be picking up Ahi from now on.  Did something happen?"

The man shrugged.  "One minute he tells me he wants to pick up Ahi then the next he tells me he's busy," he said, letting out a sigh.  "Anyways, I missed you.  Did you miss me?"

The young man's face flushed with embarrassment as he quickly glanced around, hoping that no one else had heard their conversation.  Despite his numerous attempts to tell the man that he was not interested, the man continued to persist.  "Ahi's waiting for you."

The man glanced at the little boy playing in the back of the room before casting his eyes back on the young man standing in front of him.  "No, he's not.  He's busy playing with Sungjong there."


Sunggyu was helping Haji put coat when he glanced at the door and saw the two people talking.  He was disappointed to see the tall man standing there.  If the man was here to pick up Ahi, that would mean that Woohyun was not coming.  He wanted to go over their and ask about Woohyun but he thought against it.  After all, it would seem strange for him to ask about a boy he barely knew.  For an old man to ask about his brother, he wondered if the man might think that he was weird.


As usual, after going to the supermarket to buy their groceries for dinner, they stopped by the park.  After spending some time pushing Haji on the swing, Sunggyu took a break on the bench while watching Haji play on the slide.

"Daddy, is Ahi going to come play with me today?" Haji asked after coming down the slide.

Sunggyu glanced at his watch.  If they were going to come, they would have come by now.  "I don't think so," he replied solemnly.

Haji pouted.  "Why not?"

Sunggyu forced a bitter smile.  "I don't know."

"Sunggyu!" a voice called out.

Sunggyu looked up and saw the woman approaching them.  He was glad to see her.  "Can I ask a favour?  Are you able to take Haji home with you first?  It's getting cold out here."

"Sure," she replied.  "But what about you?"

"I just want to stay here for a little longer," he replied.

The woman nodded understandingly.  "Come on Haji, let's go home."


After spending the evening with his friends, the group of boys passed by the park.  Woohyun gave a quick glance towards the swing set but did not see anyone.  Of course they won't be here, he thought.

He was about to turn away when his eyes caught sight of a lone figure sitting on a bench beside the playground.  When he recognised the figure, he came to an abrupt halt.  "There's no way," he muttered to himself in disbelief.  "Why would he?"

Dongwoo, noticing that Woohyun had stopped walking, turned around to see him looking towards the park.  "What's wrong?  What are you looking at?"

"Nothing, you guys go ahead," said Woohyun before he left them and entered the park.


Sunggyu glanced at his watch again before letting out a resigned sigh.  "He's really not coming today," he said as he lowered his head and looked to the ground.

"What are you doing here?" he heard a voice ask, much to his surprise.

Sunggyu looked up with a gleam of hope in his eyes.  "I was waiting for you."