Daddy And The Gangster - Chapter 5

Daddy And The Gangster

The voice started Woohyun.  He glanced to the side and saw two little boys standing beside the bench, staring at him with curious eyes.  It was only then that Woohyun finally sat up, albeit reluctantly.  There was an awkward moment of silence as Woohyun had a stare off with Haji.  That kid sure knows how to hold a grudge, thought Woohyun.

"Woohyun, I'm hungry," said Ahi while rubbing his stomach.

Upon hearing Ahi's voice, Woohyun broke away from the staring competition with Haji.  "Fine, we'll go grab some takeaway on the way home."

Ahi's face beamed with delight.  "I want fries and ice cream!"

The man seemed a little concerned when he heard what Woohyun and Ahi were planning to have for dinner.  "Do you always eat fast food for dinner?"

Woohyun shrugged casually.  "Can't cook."

A slight frown appeared on the man's face.  "What about your parents?"

There was a moment of hesitation as Woohyun contemplated his answer.  "I live alone."

The man looked at the glum expression on Woohyun's face.  He figured Woohyun had family issues so he did not want to pry any further.  "In that case, why don't you two boys join us for dinner?" he suggested.  "I'm cooking."

Woohyun looked at the man in surprise.

"But daddy, you can't invite strangers to our house," said Haji as he frowned at Woohyun.

"I-" Woohyun began but was cut short by a voice.

"Sunggyu!" the voice called out.

Woohyun glanced past Sunggyu and saw the woman approaching.  His face faltered.  He had forgotten about her.  "We'll pass," he said with a brief smile.  "Ahi likes his fries."

The pair walked away leaving Sunggyu to watch on.

"Who was that?" the woman asked as she came up beside Sunggyu.

"A friend," Sunggyu replied.

The woman looked at him with suspicion.  "Your friend looks like he's still in highschool."

Sunggyu looked at the woman and smiled.  "Come on, let's go home."


Woohyun had tried to mind his own business.  He had reminded himself that he had no right to interfere with someone else's affairs.  He had tried so hard to control himself, yet when he saw the woman again with another man, he could not contain his anger.  When he realised that the man was different from the man last night, he snapped.  He left his friends and followed the pair down the street to confront them .  He approached the man and without a word, punched him in the face much to the man's dismay.

"What the hell?" said the man as he grabbed the side of his face.

Woohyun ignored the man and cast his anger filled eyes on the woman.  "How could you do this to him?"

The woman looked at him in surprise.  "You..."

The man finally recovered himself and approached Woohyun.  "Hey brat, do you know who you're messing with?"

Woohyun was caught by surprise when two men got out of a parked car nearby and grabbed his arms in a lock.  He struggled to break free from their hold but the two men were much bigger than him and overpowered him.  The man stood in front of Woohyun and clenched his fist.  Woohyun felt the man's knuckles connect to his face, once, twice, three times.  He tasted blood when the side of his lips split open.  The man dealt several more blows to his stomach while the woman tried to intervene.

"He's just a kid," she said.  "Please stop or you'll kill him."

It was only then that the man finally stopped and the two men released their hold on him.  Woohyun dropped to the ground, clutching his stomach.

The woman crouched down beside him.  "You're the kid from the park, right?"

Despite the blood trickling down the side of his mouth, Woohyun glared at her.  "How could you cheat on him?  What kind of a wife are you?"

The woman smiled, finally understanding the reason for Woohyun's outburst.  "I think there's been a misunderstanding," she informed him.  "Sunggyu knows about my job."

Woohyun's eyes widened in surprise.

"And I'm not his wife," she added.


In the late hours of the night, a car was driving along an isolated road when it came to a sudden stop.  Their path was blocked by a leather cladded rider on a motorbike.  Without warning, the rider drew out two guns and fired simultaneously towards the car, killing the two bodyguards in the front.  The man in the back seat got out of the car and ran but the rider caught up with him in a heartbeat.

"You obviously don't know who you're messing with," said the rider.

The man looked at the rider.  He was unable to see his attacker's face through the helmet but those words spoken sounded familiar.  "You..."