Daddy And The Gangster - Chapter 1

Daddy And The Gangster

"Hey, I heard we have a new teacher today."

"Well, I hope it's a hot chick."

"Yeah, no more old geezers."

The group of boys chatted excitedly until they noticed the quiet boy sitting there.  The boy was staring aimlessly out the window and seemed the least bit interested in the conversation.

"Woohyun!" one of the boys called out.  "Earth to Woohyun!"

Upon hearing his name, the boy jerked out of whatever trance he was in and looked at his group of friends.  "What?"

"What are you busy daydreaming about?" asked one of his friends.

Woohyun shrugged nonchalantly before leaning forward to rest his head on his desk.  "I'm tired."

"Didn't you sleep last night?" his friend asked.

"Was busy," he replied.

"Doing what?"

"Catching rats," came the murmured reply.

"Rats?" his group of friends asked in surprise and confusion.  "Your place has rats?"

"Mm."

One of his friends chuckled, seemingly amused.  "So, did you catch them?"

"Mm."

Their conversation was cut short when a man in black rimmed glasses walked in the door and stood at the front of the room. The classroom fell into silence as the students turned their attention at him.

"Good morning everyone, I am your new teacher starting from today," the man announced, much to the disappointment of the boys.

"Oh well, the new teacher is not a hot chick but at least he's a hot guy," one of his friends remarked casually.

Woohyun sat up and gave his friend a questioning look to which his friend shrugged in response and flashed him a smile.  He cast his eyes to the front of the classroom to look at their new teacher.  His eyes narrowed and a frown etched upon his face when he saw the man standing there.

"How annoying," he cursed under his breath before resting his head back down on his desk.


At lunchtime, the group of boys gathered at their usual spot on the rooftop of the building.

"I wonder if he's single?"

"Who?"

"The new teacher."

Woohyun cast his friend a look.  "Please don't tell me he's your type."

His friend smiled.  "Everyone's my type."

Woohyun sighed.  "I wouldn't if I were you."

His friend frowned.  "Why not?"

Woohyun was quiet for a moment before replying.  "He's old."

His friend laughed.  "He doesn't look it," his friend replied.  "Anyway, I don't know why you don't like him.  He's the only teacher who hasn't called you out for sleeping in class."


Woohyun was relieved when the final bell rang at the end of the day.  While the group of boys made their way out the door, discussing where they should go hang out, Woohyun's phone buzzed in his pocket.  He glanced at the name of the caller and let out a sigh before answering it.

"Yeah?" said Woohyun.

"Is that any way to answer a call?" the voice on the other line asked.

Woohyun let out an exasperated sigh while rolling his eyes.  "What do you want?"

"I need you to go pick up Ahi," replied the voice.

Woohyun frowned.  "That's your job."

"I'm in the middle of a meeting right now and-" The voice stopped abruptly only to be replaced by the sounds of loud bangs in the background.  Moments later, the voice returned.  "I'm not going to make it back on time.  I've already rung the daycare centre and told them that you would be coming.  Make sure you pick him up."

The call ended before Woohyun could utter another word of protest.     


After parting with his friends, Woohyun begrudgingly made his way to the daycare centre.  He stood at the gates and watched as the parents left with their children.  After everyone had left, he finally approached the entrance and stepped inside.  He was met by surprise when a little boy bumped into him and fell back.

"Haji, I told you not to run," a voice called out.

Woohyun looked down at the child and then at the man approaching him from behind.

The child raised his head and gasped when he recognised Woohyun.