Daddy And The Gangster - Chapter 2

Daddy And The Gangster

"Daddy, it's the meanie who wouldn't let me play on the swing," said Haji while pointing at Woohyun.

The man quickly came up to the child and ushered him to lower his hand.  "Haji, it's rude to point," said the man.  "You should apologise."

The boy frowned and pouted in defiance before running out the door.

"Haji!" the man called out after the child.  He looked at Woohyun and gave an apologetic nod.  "I'm so sorry about this."

Woohyun opened his mouth about to say something but the man quickly rushed out the door before he had a chance to do so.  "You idiot," Woohyun cursed himself.

"You must be Woohyun," spoke a voice.

Woohyun jolted.  He was too busy worrying about the man, that for a moment, he had forgotten where he was and why he was there.  "Yeah- I mean, yes, I am."

"Your brother rang earlier and said that you would be coming today," said the young man.  "Ahi has been waiting for you."

Woohyun glanced past the young man and saw the child happily playing with another young man who he assumed was also a worker at the daycare centre.  Too busy playing, the child did not even notice that he had arrived.  Woohyun frowned in annoyance.  "Ahi!" he called out.  "Time to go."

It was only then that the child and the young man stopped what they were doing and turned to look at him.  The child frowned, seemingly disappointed to see him.  "I don't want to go!"

"Come on, Ahi," said Woohyun in a frustrated tone.  "Let's go!"

"No!" protested the child.  "I want to play some more."

Woohyun sighed.  "Come on, I'll buy you an ice cream."

The child's face lit up with delight.  "Okay."


After buying Ahi his ice cream, the pair made their way home.  As they walked along the street, Woohyun's phone buzzed in his pocket.

"Yeah?" answered Woohyun.

"Are you still coming?" a voice asked.  "We're waiting."

"Yeah, I just have to drop the kid home first," replied Woohyun as he glanced at the child who was happily eating his ice cream.  "I'll be there soon."

"Woohyun!" Ahi shouted while tugging at his sleeve.  "I want to play on the swings.  Can I go play?"

"No, I don't have time..." Woohyun's words came to a halt when he looked in the direction of the park and saw a man pushing a child on the swing.  He changed his mind when he recognised the man.  "Alright, you can play for a bit."

"Yay!"  Ahi exclaimed.

As the pair were about to head over to the swing set, Woohyun noticed another figure approaching the man and child.  A woman.  The man smiled at her and the child seemed happy to see her.  He saw the man take the shopping bags from the woman and carried them.  After a brief chat, the three of them walked away with the child in the middle holding each of their hands.

Woohyun kept his eyes on them as they walked down the street until they finally entered an apartment building.  A frown etched upon his face.  Woohyun did not know why but he felt disheartened after witnessing the scene.