Daddy And The Gangster - Chapter 15

Daddy And The Gangster

Woohyun hurried through the hospital corridor until he arrived at the room guarded by two men in black suits.  He took a deep breath, preparing himself for what he might discover before opening the door.

He stepped inside and looked towards the bed to find the small figure lying there.  As much as he found the child to be annoying, they were still family.

"He's just sleeping," a voice spoke.

Woohyun turned his head and saw Sungyeol standing by the window with his back to him.  In his rush, Woohyun had not notice his brother standing there.

"Imagine waking up to a house full of dead bodies," said Sungyeol, still looking out the window.  "That would traumatise any child."

Woohyun almost seemed relieved that Ahi that the child was unharmed.  He reached out a hand and gently rubbed the sleeping child's head.

Sungyeol let out a deep sigh before he turned around to face Woohyun.  "The media won't report it.  I've made sure of it."

Woohyun listened as Sungyeol spoke without any sign of emotions on his face that he wondered if his brother was even remotely sad about the situation.  "How calm you be so calm?"

"In this line of work, you have to be prepared for this kind of thing.  It could happen anytime," Sungyeol replied.  "I'll put more men on you.  After all, we're probably next."


It had been several days since they last met.  Sunggyu had tried to ring Woohyun several times but his calls were left unanswered.  Though he had left numerous messages he was yet to receive a reply.  Perhaps Woohyun was avoiding him though he hoped that that was not the case.  He did not know where Woohyun lived so he could not go to look for him.  His only other option was to wait for him at the park, hoping that Woohyun will show up.  He was worried for Woohyun and wanted to make sure he was alright.  Come rain or shine, he was determined to wait.

Time passed and still Sunggyu waited.  Haji was getting tired of playing but Sunggyu wanted to continue waiting.  Sunggyu looked up and noticed the grey clouds rolling in.  As much as he wanted to wait for Woohyun, he could not risk getting Haji sick.  It was only then that he saw a familiar face approaching.

"Can you please take Haji home first?" he asked the woman.

She sighed.  "Sunggyu, you've been waiting for days and you even returned home looking like a drenched cat.  Why are you torturing yourself like this?  Is it worth it?"

Sunggyu smiled.  "Yes."  


Woohyun seemed lost in thought as he wandered the streets.  A lot had happened in just one night.  He wanted to clear his mind.  Only when he felt the first drops of rain did he blink back to reality.  He glanced around and found himself by the park.  Why was he here?  He had told himself that he had to stay away, that it was for the best yet here he was.  It was though his feet had a mind of it's own.

He was about to turn away until he noticed a familiar figure sitting on a bench.  He glanced over to the playground but did not see the child.  As the heavens opened, people hurried for cover yet the man remained seated.  It seemed he was waiting.

Woohyun took a step forward but managed to stop himself before he got any further.  As much as he wanted to run over there and seek comfort in the man's embrace, he couldn't risk it.  He turned to walk away when he overheard the owner of a newspaper stand talking to a customer.

"He's at it again.  Always sitting there on that bench until nightfall," the owner sighed, shaking his head in pity.  "It's almost been a week.  Whoever he's waiting for is probably not going to come."

"If he keeps waiting then there's still hope," said the customer.  "If he gives up then it's over.  That person he's waiting for must be very important to him."

"Well, he's going to get sick if he keeps this up in this kind of weather."

Woohyun's heart sank when he heard their words.


The rain poured down.  Despite being drenched from head to toe, Sunggyu remained seated.  He couldn't leave.  What if on the off chance Woohyun turned up and he was not around?  He wanted to see Woohyun.  He wanted to hear Woohyun's voice.  He wanted to hold Woohyun in his arms.  For all that, he was willing to wait.

"Why are you still sitting here?" a voice scolded.  "Can't you see that it's raining?"

Sunggyu raised his head and looked at the figure in front of him.  He managed a smile.  "I was waiting for..."  He collapsed before he could finish.