Daddy And The Gangster - Chapter 16

Daddy And The Gangster

With a slice of pizza in each hand, he sat at the kitchen table eating as he watched the figure at the kitchen bench.  He didn't say a word even as the person standing there was making such a mess.  After all, the person did buy him pizza for dinner, something which he rarely got to eat.

Haji tilted his head with slight curiosity.  "What are you doing?" he asked before taking another bite from his pizza slice.

"I'm cooking soup so your daddy can eat it when he wakes up," Woohyun replied, while chopping up the vegetables.  "Ah!"  He flinched when the knife accidentally sliced into his finger but he didn't let it deter him.

"Band aids are in the cupboard over there," said Haji, pointing to the cupboard in the corner.

Woohyun walked over to the cupboard and found the band aids.  It seemed the child was slowly warming up to him.  "Thanks."

Haji smile proudly.  "Want some?" he asked, offering Woohyun a slice of pizza.


Sunggyu awoke to the sound of rain pelting against the window.  He slowly opened his eyes and glanced about, realising that he was in his own bed.  He felt something on his forehead and reached up to discover the damp towel.  He recalled what had happened.  In the midst of his memory, he thought he saw Woohyun's face appear before him but he figured he must have been delirious.

Passing out like that, he thought.  I must be getting old. 

He sat up, about to climb out of bed when the bedroom door opened.  He looked up in surprise when he saw Woohyun walk in the door with something in his hands.  Woohyun quickly rushed over to the bed when he saw that Sunggyu had awoken.

"You need to stay in bed," Woohyun scolded as he stopped Sunggyu from getting out of bed.  "You've got a high fever."

"Woohyun?" Sunggyu said in disbelief.

"You need to rest if you want to get better," Woohyun told him.

"I'm fine," Sunggyu protested but Woohyun was having none of that.

"No!" said Woohyun, sternly.

Sunggyu let out a resigned sigh and did as he was told.

Seeing Sunggyu settled back down in bed, Woohyun handed him a bowl.  "Here, have some soup."

"Soup?" Sunggyu looked at the bowl then noticed Woohyun's hands.

Several of Woohyun's fingers were wrapped in band aids.  Sunggyu figured that the boy must have cut himself when he was making the soup.  Not wanting to let Woohyun's efforts go to waste, Sunggyu took the bowl from Woohyun's hands and scooped a spoonful into his mouth.  There was no flavour.  Woohyun had probably forget to put any seasoning.  Despite this, Sunggyu finished the soup, bringing forth a smile on Woohyun's face.

"That was delicious," said Sunggyu.  "Thank you."

There was a brief moment of silence between them until Woohyun took the empty bowl from Sunggyu's hand.

"I'll go wash this," said Woohyun as he turned to walk away.

"Woohyun," Sunggyu called out as he grabbed Woohyun's hand and pulled him back into his embrace.  "You had me so worried."

Feeling Sunggyu's arms around him, Woohyun finally dropped the facade.  He sank into Sunggyu's embrace and let his tears fall freely.  The death of his grandfather and all those in that mansion were a shock to him yet he had held back his tears.  Just like when his parents died, he had bottled up all his emotions.  He had never let anyone see his weak side before.

"My grandfather died," Woohyun finally admitted.

Sunggyu tried to comfort the boy.  "I'm sorry."

After pouring out his heart to Sunggyu, Woohyun finally wiped his tears and looked at the older man.  "Sunggyu, there's something I should tell you about my family."