Truth

Bleeding Sapphire Blue

 

Sungmin POV

 

I regretted broaching the subject of his father.  As we walked slowly back toward the main wing of the hospital, Donghae's face was a mask of misery.  I pretended not to notice the wetness that was slowly starting to creep out of the corners of his eyes.  I knew better than anyone how much Donghae blamed himself for his father's death.  Bringing it up now was one thing that I knew would never lift his mood.

Our footsteps echoed along the empty halls of the first floor corridor.  I studied Donghae's face as we approached the elevator that would take us back up to where Kyuhyun and Leeteuk currently resided in their own separate rooms.  Guilt washed over me as I realized no one was with our leader; everyone had been worried about our maknae.

The elevator doors swung open to reveal a panic-stricken, half-crazed Eunhyuk, each and every breath leaving his body with painful wrenches.  The grief that stripped his face of all life found me rooted to the spot, confusion sweeping its way through my mind.

"Eunhyuk...what happened?" Donghae put into words what I could only think.

"K-Kyuhyun...Kyuhyun...His lung got p-punctured by a...broken r-rib.  H-He can't...talk.  Or breathe," Eunhyuk gasped, doubling over on himself to try and catch his breath.  He was completely winded, more from shock than actual exertion of energy.

My own breath seemed to get stuck in my throat as Donghae pulled me hurriedly into the elevator, grasping my frozen arm tightly.  I was grateful that he was there to keep me from falling, because I knew that under these circumstances, I never would have been able to do so on my own.

Kyuhyun, why do you have to do this to me?  Do you really want to leave me this badly?  Do you want to see my die alongside you?  Don't you know that my life is only worth living when you're next to me?  I don't care if you love Eunhyuk.  All I need is to see your smiling face every day.  All I need is some hint of reassurance that you're happy.  How am I supposed do that when you're dead?

It took far too long for us to reach our destination.  As soon as the elevator doors pulled back, I sprinted down the hallway, Donghae and Eunhyuk struggling to keep up with me.  I ran for my life; for my heart; toward the person that would be the judge of whether I made it through another day without succumbing to the hands of depression and misery.

As I ran, the world seemed to slow and time seemed to lag.  I pictured myself as the main character of a movie, running in slow motion to my awaiting destiny.  I could almost hear myself narrating my own thoughts to accompany the painstakingly slow scene of the drama.

"I had already gone through this once before; gone through thinking my one and only was dead and gone.  What kind of evil world would this be if I were forced to endure that again?  Once was more than enough."

I could just imagine the melodramatic music that would surround me, the agonized voice that rang with pain and loss and sorrow engulfing any other sound.  It was like I plunged myself into my own movie; a movie that followed the wanderings of Lee Sungmin, the man who's heart would be forever broken.  The man who would never know love quite like what had existed between him and Cho Kyuhyun.  The tragedy; the horror; the heart-wrenching grief - they were all perfect elements for my miserable storyline.

"Dammit, Cho Kyuhyun!"  My voice rang out, shrill and clear, as I entered the hospital room.  Nurses looked up in alarm at the yell which escaped me.  It was full of fear and anger and torment.

I shoved through the crowd of doctors that surrounded Kyuhyun's bed.  My heart finally broke with one last painful crack as I fell to my knees, the sight of my dying lover too much for me to handle.

"K-Kyuhyun.  Kyuhyun.  I lied.  I'm sorry," I sobbed and moaned into the bed sheets while I grasped his cold, dead hand. "I lied.  I don't love Donghae.  I love you.  I'll only ever l-love you.  Please.  D-Don't leave me."

His lack of response sent me over the edge.

"Cho Kyuhyun, you damn bastard!" I screamed at the world.  I barely registered the cautious hands that tried to soothe my anguish.  "Don't you dare leave me!  Stay here with us.  Don't let go.  Whatever you do.  Don't let go."

"S-Sungmin...he's not going to wake up."  Donghae's miserable voice cut through my numb senses; just enough for me to understand what he was implying.

"Shut up!"  Kyuhyun would wake up.  I knew he would.  He would get his lung fixed up and he would be fine.  But just in case he got any stupid ideas about giving up...

"Kyuhyun!  If you die...I...I'll break up with y-you!"  My voice cracked on the last words, my scream strangled by my reluctance to accept the ridiculous truth of what I had just said.

I could feel the remnants of my heart falling onto the hard, black surface of pain, the shards scattering and wedging themselves into any of my exposed emotions.  Each and every stab of pain that was aimed at my feelings put me into a greater state of shock.  No tears flowed down from my eyes.  No more profanities left the tips of my lips.  I was numb.  Numb to the reality that Kyuhyun really was leaving me.

As I lifted my head, my eyes traveled unseeingly up and down Kyuhyun's empty face.  The void where my heart used to be gave off an unfamiliar pulse as his eyes fluttered open, brown eyes whizzing past my face and towards Eunhyuk.  His mouth twitched into what I assumed was the shadow of his usual impish grin.  Like he knew something that no one else did.

Though his mouth turned down again almost instantly into that grimace of agony, I could pinpoint flames of amusement burning in his anguished eyes.  Even as he lay dying, he was still our evil, playful, wonderful maknae.  Only him; only Kyuhyun would be able to look up at our faces smiling, knowing that he was an inch from death.

My eyes widened at his gaze fell upon me, his face relaxing into an expression of pure love.  If I had any tears left to cry, they would have been sizzled away by the warmth that flooded my body at the sight of Kyuhyun's peaceful expression.  I opened my mouth to speak, but Kyuhyun was able to mouth something to me before I had uttered my first word and before he tumbled again into the hands of fate and the crushing darkness that stood side by side with heaven and earth.

"I love you, too."

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: I feel like I'm dragging this on much more than necessary...BUT I CAN'T HELP IT! The feelings need to be described perfectly and with each new chapter, I keep getting disappointed with myself...UGH writing is difficult, as much as I love it >.<  So what do u think guys?  Do u think I'm capable of killing off my bias?  You'd be surprised at the things I'm able to do when I put my mind to it :P It's up to you whether you want to think Kyu is dead or not.  All I know....is that the angst will be over soon and haehyuk AND eunhae will fall into place PRETTY soon...or i could just be lying to you in order to keep you on the edges of ur seats XD Anyway, love you all!~ Have a wonderful day<3

p.s. i wonder if i can get to 150 subbers and 5500 views by wednesday. Think it's possible?