Games

Bleeding Sapphire Blue

 

Eunhyuk POV

 

"H-Hyuk...what a-are you look...ing at?"

I turned away from the window, carefully wiping away the tears that threatened to reveal their existence to Kyuhyun.  The last thing he needed was to see the one he loved in pain.  For our maknae, I had to be strong.

"Nothing," I said, smiling convincingly at my younger.  "The view from up here is pretty cool."  I said this while gesturing to the window.  We were on one of the higher floors and were able to see the exact spot where the sun rose and set.

In truth, the view was quite the opposite.  I leaned against the wall that faced Kyuhyun's bed, providing the support that I was unable to provide for myself.  I rested my head against the cool brick of the hospital interior.  Closing my eyes, I tried to block out the world that collapsed painfully upon my existence.  Behind my closed lids, however, I simply found more pain,  remembering looking down at the bridge where Donghae was in the wrong man's arms; where he was, once again, just out of reach.  The image burned itself into my memory, refusing to allow me to forget that I would never experience mutual love.  Just one-sided heartbreak.

"Kyuhyun, can I ask you something?"  I didn't know what I was going to get out of asking him this, but I had to know...

"Of...c-course," he said, replying with energy while also grimacing at the pain that talking caused him.

"Why do you love me?"  I smiled when I saw the shock that clouded Kyuhyun's every feature. 

"B-Because...be...cause," his face contorted as if his was searching, wracking his brains for a valid reason.  "I-I don't know.  I n-never...thought a-about...it."

"Are you sure you love me, then?" I inquired, crossing my fingers, hoping that his answer would somehow free me from pretending to love him back.  My belonged to someone else, and pretending otherwise wasn't going to change anything.

"Yes!"  His voice, so tired and weak before, was suddenly strong and confident.  His face glowed with compassion as he said this.  The look in his eyes drew me forward.  I found myself reaching out to hug him.  I didn't love him.  Not the way he loved me.  But I would follow along with it until he regained his sanity and figured out that Sungmin was really the one he loved.  What was there to lose?

There's nothing to lose...except maybe your relationship with Sungmin.

Guilt coursed through my body as I remembered the shocked, confused look that had masked Sungmin's face when Kyuhyun said he loved me.  I had wanted so badly for Kyu to take back those words, for the accusation in Sungmin's eyes was all too evident, as much as he tried to hide it.

My arms dodged the various tubes and wires that all but strapped Kyuhyun to the bed.  I held him in my embrace, running my hand lightly over his soft hair.  His tense pose relaxed with each passing second, my touch bringing ease and relief to his body and mind.  I heard him sigh in happiness as I joined him on the small hospital bed, careful not to displace any of the scary-looking equipment. We were side by side, my arms holding him to my chest.  I didn't know what made me do it.  Did I feel sorry for Kyuhyun?  Or was I doing it just to get back at Donghae for allowing Sungmin to touch him; hug him; love him?

"H-Hyuk.  Let me tell...you a sec...ret," Kyuhyun whispered into my ear, his voice, though in pain, playful.

I inched my face forward, trying not to shake the bed in the process.  I kept my gaze down, knowing that if I looked up, I'd be tempted to push myself away from him.  Our faces were so close, I could feel his warm breath brush up against the side of my cheek.

Without giving me time to pull away, Kyuhyun leaned in slightly and pressed his broken lips to mine.  He ignored the tubes that ran along the sides of his face.  He ignored the fact that the nurses that were scattered around the room were beginning to stare.  The feelings he put into that kiss were not feelings I was used to.  It was sweet...nice...There was something behind the kiss, though, that I failed to recognize.  It was almost apologetic.  I felt his gentle kiss brush my heart for a fraction of a second before releasing me from my state of shock and pulling away.

"K-Kyuhyun," I muttered, wiping my lips quickly on my sleeve, not caring if that would offend him or not.  The kiss was nice.  It was wonderful.  But it was with the wrong person.

"I," Kyuhyun said, a cheeky grin breaking out along his face, his voice barely breaking a whisper, "don't actu...ally l-love you."

My brain seemed to freeze as I looked into Kyuhyun's teasing eyes.  What?  What was he saying?  Had he officially gone demented?  First, he said he loved me.  Now, after kissing me, he said he didn't?

"What are you talking about?"

"I-I figured...that if I re...leased Sungmin for even a l-little bit, he would m-mend his relation...ship w-with Hae.  And then m-maybe...you and Dong...hae would f-finally real...ize...how much you n-need and l-love each other."

"So...you...you," I couldn't process what he was saying, let alone form succinct sentences.  I wasn't sure whether or not to believe what Kyuhyun was saying.  Everything, all of that stuff about him loving me, was a plan?  To...what?  Mend our relationships with each other?

"Kyuhyun," I said, looking him right in the eye while forcing my voice to sound confident and determined, "what the hell is wrong with you?"

I slid off the bed and backed up, my mind still reeling from the shocking realization that it was all an act.  That Kyuhyun still loved Sungmin.  That I was still free to express my love for Donghae, despite everything he had done to me; despite all the promises I had made to myself.

"You almost died.  You're in a hospital bed, practically fighting to simply speak, and you put your relationship with Sungmin on the line simply for the sake of our relationships with Donghae?"

Disbelief colored every tone of my voice.  He really went through all of that for Sungmin?  I wanted to laugh at the absurdity of his plan.  He really thought it was going to work?  Love wasn't that easy.  It's purpose of existence was usually to stab people in the back.  I didn't find any reason why it would be an exception this time around.

Kyuhyun gave me what looked like a nod of affirmation.  His face was calm and passive, but his eyes betrayed his thoughts.  The deep brown of his irises were littered with qualms and doubts, and I didn't blame him.

"Aren't you scared," I said questioningly, "that Sungmin and Donghae will..." My voice drifted off, my mind elsewhere; focused on that painful mental image of the pair of them standing on the bridge, embracing each other in an obvious act of friendship and...something more?

You're psyching yourself out, Eunhyuk.  Don't think like this.  You need to think positively.  Sungmin loves Kyuhyun, Kyuhyun loves Sungmin.  Donghae loves...

"H-Hyuk...I'm sorry if...w-what I did upset y-you, b-but," he said sadly, "if this is...what w-will m-make Sung...min happy, I d-don't give my...self any o-other choice..."

The flow of emotions that entered my sphere caught me off guard.  Seeing that Kyuhyun would go this far for the one he loved; knowing that Kyuhyun would go to hell and back for Sungmin really unnerved me.  What it really possible to love someone that much?  I flinched internally at the thought of what Kyuhyun would do if Sungmin and Donghae's relationship mended a little too well.

"You love Sungmin."

I wasn't waiting for confirmation.  I wasn't trying to ascertain whether or not that statement was true or not.  I simply had to verbalize it in order for my own brain to wrap itself around the truth of it.

"A-Always."

The love that saturated every second of his reply warmed my heart.  It was comforting to know that, if not my own, there was still some love to be found in the world.  And it made me smile just knowing that the remaining love left on the earth belonged to two people that truly belonged together.

You'll find your match someday, Eunhyuk.  In fact, it seems you already have.

I turned away again to look back out the window.  My hands the brick wall that framed the thick glass, picking at the loose specks of brick.  The bridge was empty, save for the few patients and doctors that milled across its sturdy platform.

A sharp intake of breath had me turning, once again, to Kyuhyun.  His face, so at peace and painless just moments before, was twisted in agony, sweat appearing on every surface of his skin.  Panic engulfed me, my eyes not able to move quickly enough over my younger, who was doubled over in complete and utter excruciating pain.

"Kyuhyun!  Cho Kyuhyun!"  I ran to his side, my hands fluttering uselessly along his frame, trying and failing to find the source of his anguish.

"Someone help!" I screamed, newfound horror and fear enveloping every nerve in my body.  "Somebody!"

Nurses converged on the bed, their frantic muttering filling the silence like the hum of a motor; annoying and distracting.  Their buzzing surrounded the sounds of Kyuhyun screams of pain and the sobs that wracked through me.  I was thrown into a pit of chaos.  I didn't know what to do.  All I could do was simply watch as Kyuhyun spit up huge amounts of blood.  All I could do was stand, petrified, and watch as Kyuhyun's life began to trickle away with each passing minute.

Kyuhyun, you may be evil.  You may to the craziest things.  You may be completely insane.  But those are the things we love about you.  For us...for Sungmin...just hold on a little longer.  You've come this far.  You risked your own heart for the sake of your lover's happiness.  Surely you can risk not giving up hope for the sake of your family.  Please.  Just hold on a little longer.  I'm praying for you.

As Kyuhyun fell unconscious, all I was capable of doing was to send mental messages to the other members.  My mind screamed everything while my mouth refused to waver even slightly  from its continued stillness.

God, I'm begging you.  Don't let our maknae die.  I don't care about anything else right now.  I don't care if I never find love.  I don't care if Donghae finds love in someone other than me.  Just let Kyuhyun live.

I was left like that; crying a river of pain, loss and sadness; standing frozen as I watched my brother drain of life right before my eyes; praying to everything and anything that Kyuhyun would have the strength and will power to simply live a little while longer. 

Long enough to prove to the world that his life was worth living, and that the love that still remained between him and Sungmin was strong enough to last a lifetime.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: You guys must be pretty frustrated with me...the drama is never-ending, is it? *sigh* I'm running out of ideas.  I feel like I'm unconsciously avoiding any sort of happy ending with each new update XD BUT i am looking forward to the steamy/sweet/romantic scenes between your OTPs :P hopefully, that's something to look forward to *gets distracted and goes on itunes to listen to "Blue" again* OMGOMGOMG THAT SONG! I AM IN LOVE WITH THAT SONG<3 AND DAESUNG'S HAIR OMGGGGGG<3333............................sorry bout that.  im really tired and hyper and haven't been getting much sleep AT ALL.  School and life have both been pretty y lately *scratches head* I wonder what would happen if I dropped out of school to become a part-time fanfic author and a kpop idol XD HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA its nice to dream.........anyway, hope you all liked the update! As stated in every single chapter previous to this, I LOVE comments and appreciate subscriptions :) I love you all MWAH<3