Goodbye

Bleeding Sapphire Blue

 

Kyuhyun POV

 

I was floating.  I felt weightless, as though I were being suspended in midair.  Everything was frozen; time had stopped.  I felt a light brush of wind lap up against my skin, creating the urge to wrap my arms around myself.  No action followed my effort to do so.  The connection between my thoughts and my actions had been momentarily severed.

I was distantly aware of the sound of an ambulance, its sirens wailing and screeching, piercing the silence that surrounded the rest of my consciousness.

I had to get up.  I had to reassure myself that everyone was okay.  That I was okay.

My lids fluttered open and I stared up into a starless sky.  The dark emptiness that met my eyes leered down at me.  It pointed and laughed at me.  It teased me.  It taunted me and told me that I wasn't going to live; that I would last no longer than another minute at most.

I forced myself to turn my head.  It seemed to be the only body part I was capable of moving.  Eunhyuk was beside me, holding my hand, crying and praying.  A thin trail of blood trickled down the side of his upraised arm.

As I stared up into Eunhyuk's face, my vision blurred over.

I was suddenly back home, running down the hall with my new backpack, excitedly anticipating my first day of elementary school.

I was singing in the high school talent show, admiration and applause surrounding me, the biggest smile permanently engraved onto my face.

I was on stage with Super Junior for the first time, feeling the happiest I had ever felt in my life.

I was in Sungmin's arms, his soft voice telling me how much he loved me.

And I was back on the ground, paralyzed, unable to move.

My thoughts ran down a stray path, zeroing in on Sungmin, just as I had left him before leaving for Kiss The Radio at Sukira.  He had been sleeping soundly, curled up in the blankets, the worried lines that had creased his face smoothing out into silky perfection.

I can't die.  I can make it through this.  For my family, for Super Junior, for Sungmin...I have to endure.

I couldn't be sure whether or not my silent prayer would be answered.  With each passing second, I fell deeper and deeper into an abyss of nothingness.  Within that abyss, however, I was all too conscious of the physical pain.  I tried to sit up, forcing my arms to move up and support my weight as I righted myself.  The fire that at my ribs made me want to scream out loud in complete and utter agony.  As I collapsed back down onto the hard concrete, my mouth opened in a soundless scream; no sound came out.  My voice was broken; dead.

No.  Not that.  You can take anything but that.  Don't take my voice.  You can have my legs, my arms, my heart...even Sungmin.

That last thought made my insides flinch in reluctance to admit it.

But don't take my voice.

I closed my eyes, the reality of my situation sinking into the realms of my rational thought.

So this is really what it's like to die. 

Death in itself, I realized, wasn't a scary thing.  It was peaceful.  Instinctual.  The real pain of death was knowing what I was leaving behind.  I was leaving my family, my friends, my passion, my heart, my life.  It wasn't walking into the arms of death that scared me.  It was walking out of the capable hands of life.

Feeling happy, feeling alive...I realized that I would never feel those things again.  I wouldn't feel that rush of pure joy whenever I sang on stage with my fellow band members.  I wouldn't feel that overwhelming sense of bliss whenever my lips brushed those of Sungmin.  All the things that mattered to me would be just out of reach.

With a jolt, I realized whose pain would be worse than my own.  Sungmin, whose first love had just walked out of his life.  Sungmin, who had entrusted his heart to me to protect and cherish.  Sungmin, who was oblivious to how close I was to leaving his side.  My heart broke at how sad he would be to lose yet another loved one.  I could only imagine his depression, hanging over him like a looming storm.  I couldn't bear to think of him so helpless; so alone.

I felt a single tear tread a path down the side of my face, mixing with the blood that pooled on the hard, stone ground.  It was time for me to go, and I would leave - regretting more than I should, taking nothing with me.

Goodbye.

The last image that colored my thoughts was Sungmin's beautiful, dazzling smile, eyes warm and welcoming.

And the world engulfed me.

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N:  What do you guys think?  Did I describe death well enough?  Or do you not think Kyu will die?  Hm....I wonder what I'll come up with next *waggles eyebrows* (is waggles a word?  you'd think i know the answer to that with my reasonabl large vocabulary, but nope).  Hope this wasn't too painfully short.  I promise I'll step it up once I'm done with crazy school and life and .

Please continue to subscribe and comment~ I'm really glad you all are enjoying this so far! Your satisfaction is my first priority! Love you all!<3