Chapter Fourty-One

Hogwarts: A History ✫*゚Completed
Lifeline

Ana actually somehow succeeds in getting her mother to invite Jerome and his family to their New Year's Eve party, and even better Jerome offers to come two hours early to "study" with Ana.

She hasn't told him about her motivation for asking him to do so, but she rather doubts he'll mind not studying as much as she'd convinced her mother they would.

Luckily for her Jerome is still a Ravenclaw (even if he is a rather unique one) and he'd already worked out that they wouldn't be doing much as his bag when he arrives is more filled with snacks than actual work. He hands her a licorice wand once they've both settled in her room and set up a few textbooks and parchments so they can pretend to be working if either of Ana's parents look in on them, though she rather doubts they will. Winona Vulchanova takes her parties very seriously and Ana rather doubts she'll be seeing her mother at all until after midnight.

"Thanks." She accepts the offered candy, not worrying too much about spoiling her appetite and the night will be a buffet-style serve-yourself affair. "So you obviously realize we won't be studying."

He laughs. "There's no way you aren't already finished with all our break assignments." He points out. "I wouldn't say no to some Apparition practice if we have time, but I assume you've got something you want to talk about?"

Ana on the wand as she ponders how exactly to phrase her dilemma. She still hasn't told a soul about her realizations two weeks prior, not even Alec who's still in quarantine in Peru (and yes she's still illogically worried even though the Macmillans have since been sent confirmation of Alec's wellbeing by the Curse-Breakers' Society). Ultimately she decides that it's only Jerome, and nothing she says could be taken poorly.

"I've discovered I may have a crush on Alec." She announces, popping the wand back into when she finishes and watching Jerome expectantly.

His response is not the surprise she'd expected - instead he grins. "No offense Ana, but I kind of already knew that. It's great to hear that you know it now though - have you told Alec?"

With anyone else she might have been irritated. She still is, slightly, but she supposes that she had guessed Jerome's crush, which really was a much bigger deal, so she can't logically be annoyed that he knew of hers.

She shakes her head, her tone a bit clipped now. "I have not. The letter is written but I only discovered all this due to the fact he's in quarantine and cannot return home for the winter holidays."

Jerome immediately looks concerned. "Quarantine? Is he-"

She doesn't let him finish. "He's fine, it's preventative. There have been some cases of smallpox in the area so naturally everyone is being quite cautious. I intend to learn more from Mrs. Macmillan tonight."

Jerome exhales thankfully. "Well that's good news at least. Perhaps he'll come home over the summer instead, especially if you're confessing right away like that. Do you think I could read the letter? I mean, if you're comfortable with that." He adds hastily.

Ana glances at her door, then goes to her desk and pulls the letter out from the drawer she keeps all her correspondence with Alec in. "I got him a Christmas gift as well." She adds as she hands the parchment over to Jerome. "A top-quality bag to keep his finds in when he's out in the field. I'm not sure if it's impersonal but I'm not much for gifts."

Jerome suddenly perks up. "Oh my gosh that's right! Ana, I still haven't given you your birthday gift!" He puts the letter to the side for a moment to rifle through his bag before triumphantly pulling out a box. "Okay, here you go! Let's say it's for Christmas too." He jokes before going back to the letter. "This is really good so far, by the way."

Ana shrugs and focuses on opening the gift. She honestly doesn't care what Jerome thinks of the letter, she doesn't intend to change it as she knows Alec will understand it, even if it turns out he doesn't reciprocate her feelings.

When she finally gets the box open she can't help but laugh faintly. "I see why you needed to wait." She observes, holding up the self-refilling inkwell to get a better look at it. It's rather standard but Jerome has clearly had it customized as the whole thing is decorated with black cats in a variety of poses. She also notes with appreciation that the cats even have her grey necklace marking.

Jerome looks up, half smiling but clearly nervous. "I hope you like it. I considered jewlery but I figure nothing is going to replace that pendant of yours."

Ana taps said necklace lightly. "That would be correct. This is wonderful Jerome, now I can keep one in my bag and one on my desk here so I don't have to cart it back and forth from Hogwarts every holiday. And I quite like the touch with my animagus form."

He beams, looking quite relieved. "Oh good! Anyway, here's your letter back. I think Alec would be awfully stupid to not respond positively to that."

Ana shrugs, returning the letter to it's proper place. "It doesn't matter, I plan to maintain the friendship regardless." She says, trying to keep any uncertainty out of her voice. She does have to admit that the idea of Alec rejecting her isn't one that sits comfortably, but she also privately doesn't think it's very likely. Why else would he have been corresponding with her for so long if he didn't see her with some kind of affection.

"I should tell you that Alasdair will be at the party tonight." Ana thinks to mention an hour later when they're both preparing to join the bustle that's slowly rising from the floor below them. "He and I don't speak much anymore but we do often end up pushed together by our parents for things like this."

Jerome shrugs easily. "I think as long as I don't point out the questionable direction he's taking the Quidditch team in I should be fine." He grins. "And really, I can't imagine him choosing to acknowledge me much at all, Alasdair is one of the snakes who mostly keeps to himself."

Jerome heads down first so Ana can switch dresses into something slightly more festive than the rather plain black frock she'd had on for the rest of the day.

She actually finds a rather nice formal gown - black of course, but with silver ts - that she's never worn before and opts to slip it on, adjusting her pendant so it's prominently displayed on her chest and heading first to the restroom to check her hair and then to the floor below.

She doesn't see Jerome right away, which doesn't surprise her in the least. He's officially the shortest person among the Ravenclaws in their year since Amelia's growth spurt just before the break, and she wouldn't be surprised if he was the shortest boy overall in their year as a whole.

She weaves through the crowd, politely responding whenever anyone addresses her and unfortunately getting pulled into a conversation with Mrs. Flint about Marcus's tutoring. Her student is standing next to his mother and looking distinctly uncomfortable in his dress robes.

Ana doesn't really have all that much to say to Mrs. Flint - Marcus still struggles in school but since she started regularly reminding him that he could be removed from the Quidditch team if his grades don't stay up he's been putting in more effort. However that doesn't stop his mother from going on, addressing each of his classes in turn and making both Marcus and Ana increasingly uncomfortable.

Finally Ana spots Jerome and bids a quick goodbye to Mrs. Flint, citing a need to go say hello to her friend. She bids Marcus goodnight as well though she only gets an annoyed grunt in return.

"Ana, there you are!" Jerome grins as she walks over to him. He's leaned up against the wall near the drinks table along with a much younger boy who's very clearly related to him. "This is my brother Terrence."

"I go by Terry." The boy says, holding out his hand. "But Jerry says that you're not big on nicknames."

Ana shrugs and accepts the handshake, privately pleased at the manners the nine year old is displaying. If the Boot brothers' parents are as well behaved she thinks they might start getting regular invites despite their blood status, which she wouldn't be averse to at all.

"Ana." She introduces herself in return. "And I'm perfectly alright with nicknames so long as I learn them right away. I only knew Jerome from a distance for several years and as such I can't reconcile him as Jerry in my mind."

Terry tilts his head, clearly rolling the logic around in his mind. "I suppose that makes sense. Still, what if someone was quite insistent? Would you use their nickname then? Mum always says that habits can always be changed with a bit of effort."

The party turns out to be one of the best New Years' celebrations she can remember. She stays with the Boot brothers the entire night, debating a wide variety of topics and being privately impressed at how well young Terry actually keeps up - even better than Jerome at times which both boys laugh about.

When the ball drops Jerome smacks a kiss onto Terry's cheek, grossing his brother out, while Ana merely rolls her eyes at their antics. She does briefly wish that Alec could have been there, but she resolves firmly that in a year's time she'll be sharing New Years with him. She's waited this long, one more year can't possibly hurt anything.

There are only a few days after the party before Ana returns to Hogwarts, and she uses them to once again trying to send Alec his letter, which has now been returned twice by the owl post. She's rather hoping it will work this time, as the total cost of the single package has become rather ridiculous.

Perhaps she should look into getting a personal owl.

Finally the fourth arrives and Ana heads back to school. She sits with Amelia and Shaun as well as Jerome on the ride back - the latter of whom is tactful enough to not mention that he'd seen Ana only a few days prior - and listens politely as they share stories about their Christmas breaks.

When it's Ana's turn to speak she merely shrugs. "It was average I suppose. I went shopping with my mother, did the assigned homework. Nothing spectacular."

Jerome does give her a slight side-eye but she'd already decided not to share her Alec-related discoveries with Shaun and Amelia - frankly she's not close enough to them to feel that sharing such personal information is particularly warranted.

Amelia ends up speaking the most, talking about how her parents reacted to meeting Henry for the first time.

Ana tunes out at that point. She frankly still doesn't understand Amelia's relationship with the Hufflepuff boy and rather doubts it will last past Hogwarts, if that long, and as such has no real interest in hearing about how it's going.

She refocuses on the conversation again when the upcoming Apparition test is brought up.

"So how difficult is the class? I'm starting it next week." Shaun asks partway through Jerome's fretting about his passing the exam. "I've heard mixed reviews from the upper years."

Ana shrugs. "I'm not certain you'll have the same professor as we did, but he's alright.

"Terrible about answering questions though." Jerome adds. "Be ready to do a whole bunch of reading on your own. I'm just thankful we had that Hogsmeade outing and break to practice."

Shaun grimaces. "We technically get Easter I suppose, for anyone who's of age by then. Still, I feel like you lot have an easier time of it than we will."

"I feel like all of you have an easier time than I do." Amelia grumbles. "The bloody test is on May twenty fifth for the second class and I turn seventeen on the twenty-sixth so I have to get my license over the summer."

"You still get to take the class though, right? Everyone else is taking the second section." Jerome double-checks and all three of them nod.

Personally Ana isn all that concerned about when and where she gets her apparition license - in her line of work she'll be utilizing port keys far more frequently - but she must admit that doing things earlier is almost always a better option, so she does feel a bit badly for Amelia.

They arrive at Hogwarts just as it's getting dark out and head immediately for the Great Hall and the return Feast.

Things fall into a familiar routine as school properly starts back up, and Ana is just getting comfortable when an owl drops a package in front of her on Tuesday morning the week after they all get back.

"Still talking with that Curse-Breaker?" Amelia asks leadingly as Ana picks up the package.

"Of course, there are plenty of new discoveries being made every day. And whenever Curse-Breakers monthly doesn't adequately explain something he's quite good at answering my questions." Ana responds.

Honestly she's amazed she manages to keep her voice level and flippant - the package isn't the one she'd sent being returned yet again. This one is from Alec. Which means he's gotten her confession.

She curses how late the mail arrives as she can't return to the dorm room to open the letter until after Arithmancy ends, which isn't for two hours.

She's not too proud to admit that she's rather distracted in both Arithmancy and Charms before it, and even Aidan notices despite the fact he's lived with his head in a textbook since the start of sixth year.

"You feeling alright? If you wanted to study together I have a free period right now." He offers as they exit the classroom. "I was going to look over some notes for Defense Against the Dark Arts but-"

Ana waves dismissively. "No worries, I'm quite secure in my capabilities in each of my classes at the moment. I actually require the free period for a personal matter, though perhaps we could study some other time?"

Aidan gives a half-shrug. "Of course. I'm pretty much always in the library these days so come join me some time."

Ana nods and then finally heads back up to the Ravenclaw Tower, tearing open the letter as soon as she reaches the privacy of the dorm and thanking Merlin that neither Evie nor Amelia decided to spend their free time here.

She doesn't notice she's shaking until she unfolds the letter, and though she tries to force herself to stop there's still a slight tremor no matter how much she tells herself the answer doesn't matter.

She skims the top part of the letter quickly, looking for the point where he begins addressing her admission.

I have to admit I was surprised when I read your confession.

Not a great start, but she pushes on, restraining herself from reacting until she's read the full response.

When we first met I mostly saw you as Alasdair's friend who was kind of fun to mess with. But since we've been talking more directly I'm glad that he met you. You're smart, and beautiful, and passionate in a reserved way that I think most people miss. And perhaps this is all a bit sappy but I don't want you to think I'm saying yes simply because you put me on the spot.

Honestly Ana hadn't even thought about that until just then, but she's glad Alec thought to address it as it seems like something that could have come up later down the line.

Which is to say, of course, that I've been falling in love with you for a year now and I would be more than happy to finally do something with those feelings. The entire camp is being put onto mandatory leave in March - just tell me when Hogsmeade weekend is that month and I'll meet you there.

Yours,

Alec

Ana looks at the sign off and can't help beaming. She rather likes the sound of 'yours'.

Myr would never tell his sister, but in the end he never works up the courage to go up to Amanda and ask her out.

No, instead she strides up to him in the middle of the Great Hall two weeks after school starts up again and informs him that he's adorable but the awkwardness is getting to be a bit much and he'll be taking her to Hogsmeade this weekend.

He thinks he likes her even more after that fiasco, even if it does mean his Housemates mercilessly about it for the rest of the week. But Amanda more than makes up for it by smiling at him every single time they cross paths in the hallway.

He does still feel a little odd about their age difference - yes she's turning fifteen before he turns seventeen so it's not quite two years but still - but Cadi's scolding keeps him focused. Plus, worrying about his date trumps having to think about his Uncle Cyril possibly marrying his mom and legally becoming part of the family. Or think about why thinking about it makes him feel a bit sick to his stomach.

When the Hogsmeade Saturday arrives its snowy and miserable outside and Myr worries that the weather could cause the date to go horridly.

Brandon is no help at all when Myr mutters his concerns to the room while the boys are all getting dressed.

"The weather doesn't matter, if it's going to crash and burn it'll do that all on it's own. Trust me, I had the longest relationship of anyone here."

It's weird to hear him talking openly about Franziska, but the two had apparently made up over the break and are back to being friends. Myr doesn't quite understand it - Brandon had been crushed when Franziska broke up with him - but he supposes it's better than having to watch Brandon glare at every happy couple in the castle.

Now it's Drake doing the glaring, though he's doing more to try and hide it. He's even successful on some days - usually after a good Quidditch practice or a day when they don't have any classes with the Hufflepuffs.

Hogsmeade days are inevitably bad ones though. He's sulking in his bed and passes on going to breakfast at all when Charlie asks him when he's planning on getting up.

The boys exchange glances before leaving him to his wallowing.

"Didn't she break up with him at the start of the summer? How is he still so mopey?" Remi asks, probably loud enough that Drake can hear him through the door that Brandon hasn't completely closed yet.

Charlie smacks him upside the head. "One day you'll have your heart shattered and feel like an arse for that comment." He says in lieu of a reply.

Remi makes a face. "No way, I'm just never going to date. I'm gonna hunt monsters!"

"Hey Charlie I found your soulmate." Brandon laughs, indicating Remi with his thumb.

Charlie feigns injury. "How could you say such a thing? I could never love anyone who hunts my babies!"

Myr just laughs and tunes out Charlie and Remi bickering over the right way to deal with dragons, a common debate in their dorms these days.

The girls are already in the Great Hall, and Holly and Fiona drag Myr into the seat between them before he can protest.

"Okay, the clothes are fine considering it's winter so you've got to dress warm." Holly declares after staring at him long enough that he starts getting uncomfortable. "So what's your plan?"

Myr blinks at her and Fiona's expectant looks. "Uh... plan? She asked me though." He points out, suddenly even more nervous than before. He has a rough idea of things they could do but he hasn't really outlined anything specific.

Fiona tuts. "Myr you can't just assume. She took the step of asking you, you ought to have planned at least a little." She scolds lightly. "Now then, I don't know that much about - sorry, what was her name again?"

Myr sighs. "Amanda. And I can't say I know much about her either, that's why I figured we'd just get butterbeers at the three broomsticks and talk or something. Maybe Madame Puddifoot's if she prefers tea. I can ask on the way over you know." He knows he sounds defensive but he really doesn't need them freaking him out this close to the date.

"That's a good start." Evera pipes up from across the table, and Myr finally reigsters that with Nabila sitting next to her he's been completely surrounded by the Gryffindor girls. "Always ask what she wants to do next, but offer options. That way you're both accommodating but also don't seem passive. Considering she asked you out she could definitely be nervous that you're only going with her because she was pushy."

From what he's seen of Amanda Myr doesn't really think that would be a problem, but he forces a smile at Evera anyway. At least she's being helpful instead of just interrogating him.

Then all too quickly breakfast is over and he's nervously waiting for Amanda outside the Great Hall. To his surprise Melody walks over instead and introduces herself.

Myr shakes the offered hand. "At the risk of sounding creepy I actually know. Is everything okay with Amanda?" Something twists in his guts as he asks - is she sick? Did she decide she doesn't actually want to go out with him?

Melody immediately shakes her head. "Oh no! No sorry, I didn't mean to worry you." She assures him quickly. "Ames got caught up in another debate with Harrison over Muggle technology. She'll be out soon, I just wanted to meet you." She hesitates, and then adds, "So you can tell us apart?"

He nods. "I couldn't say why, but yeah, you look different to me." He responds.

Melody beams. "I see why Ames was attracted to you. Oh, here she is, you two have fun!" She waves cheerfully and skips away down the corridor to meet up with a few other Hufflepuffs.

Amanda shakes her head as she watches her twin leave. "Alright then. Sorry I'm late, and sorry if Mels was weird."

"She was a perfect lady." Myr responds with a nervous smile. Amanda hasn't done anything drastically different with her appearance, but the sight of her is making Myr's mouth go dry. "Unlike the twins Gryffindor was stuck with." He says it without thinking, and to his relief Amanda laughs.

"The youngest Weasleys, right? Only first years - I don't envy the prefects having to clean up after them." She comments as they begin walking down the hallway towards the pathway to Hogsmeade. "Just yesterday they pranked Filch in his own office, did you hear about that? They'd dropped a dungbomb on one of the third year potions classes and then dropped another on in Filch's office when he was giving them their punishment. It was pretty ballsy but also got them a full month of detention. That brother of theirs was beside himself."

Myr knows exactly which brother she's talking about - Percy had chewed the twins out for a good hour when they got back to the dorms, grinning like a pair of cats who got the cream.

"Percy acts more like their mom than their brother at times." Myr acknowledges. "Still, they do keep things lively in the Tower so there's that I suppose. What about Ravenclaw, any drama there?"

Amanda grins knowingly. "Wouldn't you like to know. Though honestly it has gotten a bit bland since that one girl in your year stopped setting things on fire at random. That was kind of funny."

The conversation peters out then and Myr desperately tries to think of something else to say. His tongue feels like it's glued to the top of his mouth, and they go a few minutes before he remembers his conversation with Fiona and Holly.

"So, uh, since it's so cold I thought we could just get a butterbeer or some tea when we get to Hogsmeade?" He manages to stutter out.

Amanda's cheeks have been turned red by the chill, and she pulls her scarf down from over her nose so she can reply. "I think I can get on board with that. How about Madame Puddifoot's tea shop? Melody says her stuff is really good but I've never tried it. No one to go with you know."

Myr nods, thankful that Amanda doesn't seem that bothered by the fact they hadn't spoken much. The rest of the walk is made in silence, both of them opting to hide behind their scarves in an attempt to ward off the wind and the snow.

Amanda shakes out her hair when they finally arrive at the tea shop. "I admit I've never come to Hogsmeade during the winter." She says once her scarf has been unwrapped from her face. "I think I might have had the right idea."

"Well then tea will be even more welcome! Table for two?" A plump, entirely too cheerful woman bustles up to them happily. Myr figures she must be Madame Puddifoot.

"Yes ma'am, thank you." Amanda replies cheerfully.

Madame Puddifoot beams. "You can just put your cloaks right over here and follow me." She gestures to a rack that already hosts several cloaks and scarves. Myr makes sure to put his cloak on top of Amanda's so they can find them again before following their host.

"This place is quite cute. I see why Melody likes it so much." Amanda comments once they're settled and Madame Puddifoot has left them to puruse the menu.

"You mentioned you haven't been before." Myr remembers. "Why is that?"

Amanda had just begun to return to her normal coloring as they warmed up, but instantly her cheeks refill with color. "Well, it's sort of a date place." She admits. "And I've never had a date and I don't just want to come in by myself or with my sister so." She leaves it at that, clearly rather embarrassed.

Myr shrugs. "That's fair. It's sort of the same reason I've never come here either." He offers her a smile, which she returns full force.

And Myr things that maybe this date won't go so terribly after all.

They end up trying a bit of everything at the tea shop and then make some purchases at Honeydukes. Amanda wants to go to Zonko's but Myr admits his discomfort with the shop and so they instead retire to spend the rest of the trip at the Three Broomsticks, sharing a slice of chocolate cake and just getting to know each other.

Amanda is the one who brings up the upcoming Ravenclaw versus Slytherin Quidditch match, and Myr is very happy to hear that she's a big fan of jocks.

"It's one of the reasons I asked you out." She admits. "I've seen you play and it's really amazing to watch."

"Do you play?" Myr asks curiously, and she shakes her head regretfully.

"No balance." She laughs. "Though trust me I'm always trying to improve. I like flying, but the coordination you need to actually play Quidditch is a bit beyond what I'm capable of."

"We should go flying sometime." It's impulsively said, and Myr almost immediately regrets it. Is he being too presumptive? The weather is definitely going to stop them from flying for at least a few months so he's not just assuming a second date he's assuming many more dates. Enough to constitute a relationship even. He's not sure how many dates that would be exactly but he can't imagine there's an unlimited number you can go on with one person without committing to something more serious with them.

It feels like ages before Amanda replies, though a glance at the clock shows it's been less than ten second. "That would be awesome! You should show me some of your Beater tricks!"

Myr takes a moment to recover from his internal panicking but he manages to put together a reply that he's pretty sure Charlie and Laurel are ghost writing in his brain. "You'd just use them to help Ravenclaw."

Amanda laughs so Myr doesn't have to murder his roommate and ex-captain for drilling tactic secrecy into his brain just yet. "Fine, you caught me. But seriously, I'd love to go flying sometime, once it thaws out a bit. I honestly don't envy our poor team having to play the snakes in the snow. Do you think they'll try cheating again like they did against you guys?"

They're back in safe territory and Myr latches onto it, possibly rambling a bit in his desperation to not say something that will make Amanda storm off and declare she never wants to talk to him again.

Which some part of his brain tells him is ridiculous but a larger part keeps loudly worrying about it for the rest of the afternoon. However Amanda doesn't leave. In fact, Amanda keeps leaning closer as they chat, giving him that smile that started this entire mess. And it's only making him more nervous.

They're quiet on the walk back to the castle, hiding from the elements behind their scarves. But halfway back Myr feels something bump against his cloak and glances down to find that Amanda's hand has slipped out from under her cloak and she's gripping his lightly.

Nervously he slips his own hand out and she grabs it.

He's still worried, but he thinks that maybe the date might have gone well. And maybe he's definitely going to ask her if she wants to go watch the Ravenclaw-Slytherin match together next weekend.

Rajani is quite pleased when break finishes and her friends return to Hogwarts. She doesn't even mind that both Clary and Lenox are still mostly avoiding her - she's just happy to be back in her familiar environment with her familiar friends.

When asked how her break was she mostly just talks about practicing for the upcoming Apparition test, though she does admit to Queenie that she's not sure she'll be staying next year.

"It's so boring here. At least at home I can meet up with you and Eugene." She complains as the two girls sit on Queenie's bed. Rajani is doing most of the talking while Queenie reviews color schemes for the wedding.

"That is true, I missed you this break. I'd say we'll have to make up for it this summer but alas I'll be in Peru." Queenie laments.

Rajani laughs. "Poor you, having to travel the world and see ancient ruins."

Queenie laughs as well.

Trevor is back as well and Rajani takes full advantage of the fact she's gotten on good terms with both Tabs and Terrence in order to patrol with him at least once a week.

"Your power has gone to your head." He teases her one night after they've finished their patrol (admittedly twenty minutes later than they should have), "Tabs and Terrence are going to catch on eventually."

"I'm sure Terrence already knows, being a Ravenclaw and all, and he's still fine with it." Rajani replies flippantly. "And are you really complaining? You're getting quite a bit out of this arrangement as well after all." She adds with a sly grin.

Trevor laughs. "You've got me there."

Rajani kisses him goodnight before turning towards the dorms, but she pauses when she catches sight of movement in her periphery.

Thinking Trevor might want to say something else she turns, but instead of her boyfriend finds Clary hunched over by the fireplace, clearly trying to make herself invisible.

It had been a great patrol and a better day, so Rajani feels confident enough to invite herself over to sit next to her dorm mate.

"Hey Clar, what are you doing up?"

Clary very obviously turns her head away and clears . "Nothing, just sitting, good night."

Rajani can hear in her voice that she's been crying. But it's also quite evident that she doesn't particularly want to talk, and if the crying is over what Rajani suspects it might be she probably isn't the best person to be offering comfort.

"Alright then, goodnight Clary. Don't stay up too late." She says, maintaining cheerfulness as she gets up and heads up to the dorms, leaving Clary to sulk by the fireplace in peace.

The next morning she gets confirmation - Lenox had broken up with Clary just before curfew, while Rajani was on patrol with Trevor. Neither Queenie nor Eugene has exact details - Queenie heard about it from Nia who had a front seat to the drama and Lenox hadn't been wiling to talk about it much with Eugene or the other boys in their dorm the night before.

"Still, I hope Clary will feel up to talking soon. I know we all saw it coming but still." Queenie says quietly, glancing over at the end of the table where said teen is poking forlornly at her plate. "That can't be easy."

Rajani thinks back to her own breakup with Ed and sighs. That hadn't exactly been a fun experience and it had been a completely mutual decision. She can't imagine what Clary must be feeling. Or how much she might hate Rajani for being tangentially responsible.

"I'm glad I've got patrol tonight, hopefully Lenox will fall asleep before I get back." Eugene mutters as the three of them head towards the library. None of them has class but the common room has been Clary's haunt so they've unanimously agreed to avoid it until things have settled more.

Apparently they're not the only ones with that idea, as Alasdair and Cadfael join them not long after they've found a table in one of the quieter corners of the library.

Cadfael takes the seat next to Rajani and pulls out his Transfiguration textbook, looking over at her questioningly. She pulls out her own in response, giving him half a grin.

Studying with Cadfael has become a lot more common in the past year, even if he is taking a lot more classes than she is this year (and yes, she is irritated that he passed Ancient Runes and she didn't but she's not letting it stop her from working with him on other subjects).

The day passes, and Rajani manages to get through it without any interaction with Clary or Lenox. This is made rather simple by the fact she only has one class on Thursdays and it's Transfiguration which Clary isn't taking. And Lenox handily is trying to avoid her as much as she wants to not deal with him so they get through class unscathed and Rajani retires to the library to study with whichever of her friends happens to have a free period at the time. Trevor comes by a few times as well, during which her studying efficiency drops dramatically. Not that she's complaining.

In fact, it seems like her day might just be drama-free despite the breakup when Eugene pulls her aside after dinner with a guilty look on his face.

"No." Rajani says immediately. "My day has been shockingly enjoyable, don't ruin it."

"It's... not? I don't think it is." Eugene insists, plastering on the million dollar smile that has half the faculty falling over themselves to help him. Rajani just frowns, unimpressed. He sighs.

"Could you take my patrol shift tonight? I know you had one yesterday and you're with Tabs tomorrow but Lenox is freaking out. We're doing a guys' night kind of thing." He blinks at her pleading and Rajani sighs. It technically won't ruin anything at least, it'll just be a bit annoying.

"Fine, but only because I'm the most amazing friend in the world. Who are you partnered with? I should tell them that we're swapping."

Eugene beams. "It's with Jemma! Thanks Raj, you're a doll!"

"And you're a slimy little rat." Rajani grumbles. She really should have asked who the patrol was with first - spending at least an hour walking with Miss Future Head Girl isn't her idea of a good time.

Still, she had agreed, and she'll definitely be able to use this to get a favor out of Eugene later so she sighs again and looks around for her fellow Prefect.

She spots Jemma chatting with a group of younger students and she grimaces before pushing on a smile and walking over.

"Jemma, do you have a minute?"

A few of the younger years look scared of her, and she's actually pretty pleased with that. But she ignores them and stares down Jemma instead, who gives her a smile.

"Of course Rajani, just a moment?" She asks, and it's the sort of tone most people just can't say 'no' to.

It makes Rajani want to punch her in her perfect teeth. Just a little bit.

"Sure, I'll wait by the entrance." She says instead before spinning on her heel and striding away.

Jemma takes a little over a minute to wrap up whatever nonsense she's conducting with the kids, and Rajani is getting rather impatient when the blonde finally joins her.

"Hey! Sorry, what can I help you with?" She asks, beaming despite the fact she looks quite frazzled.

Rajani suppresses the urge to roll her eyes. "No help required, thanks. Eugene and I are swapping patrols so you're with me tonight."

Jemmo tilts her head, clearly confused, but she's smart enough to not ask. "That sounds fine. I'll meet you by the portrait of Sir Cadogan then?"

Rajani merely nods and heads off. She needs to put her books away before the patrol and she frankly doesn't want to have to talk to Jemma any longer than she needs to.

Eugene is still waiting for her outside the Great Hall. "Seriously, thanks. Do you want me to take your shift with Tabs tomorrow?"

Rajani waves him off. "I actually almost like those patrols, Tabs isn't so bad if you know how to handle her." She gives Eugene a grin. "I'll just hold onto this for some future date."

Eugene groans. "Fine, that's fair. You better not stick me with anyone annoying though, since you like Tabs so much."

"I only said almost, and you're getting my next round with Saundra." Rajani snipes back, grinning.

Eugene groans dramatically as they make their way to the common room, and Rajani ends up talking Prefect business with him (and Gabi, who had been studying by one of the windows until she overheard their conversation) until she has to leave to meet with Jemma.

The blonde is (of course) already waiting by the portrait, attempting a conversation with Sir Cadogan though she's failing rather miserably.

"Don't bother, portraits are all two-dimensional." Rajani greets her blandly. "You'll never get him thinking about anything but the glory of battle."

"'Tis indeed glorious!" Cadogan exclaims from the wall. Rajani ignores him.

"We should get going. Which route are you on tonight?"

"Gryffindor Tower." Jemma supplies helpfully. "So I didn't want to press in front of the younger students but why the switch?"

Rajani glares at her. "None of your business Finnegan, it's personal."

Jemma folds her hands behind her back as they walk. "My apologies." She offers after a moment. "I hope all is well but I won't press. I know personal business is-"

"Yes, yes, very touching. I was supposed to be spending the evening with my boyfriend so please understand if I don't feel like speaking with you right now." Rajani interrupts. It's not exactly a lie - her and Trevor likely would have spent the evening together despite not technically having any plans to - but it's still mostly said to get Jemma to shut up.

It thankfully works, and they walk in silence for over half of the patrol before the trouble starts.

Jemma hears it first - shouting near the Gryffindor Tower. She signals to Rajani before running off towards it.

Rajani takes a more sedate pace when following her patrol partner, so when she arrives Jemma is already neck-deep trying to sort things out.

Rajani recognizes Marcus Flint - a fourth year Chaser for the Slytherin quidditch team and one of Alasdair's favorites if she's remembering his ramblings about the team correctly - as one of the combatants but the two Gryffindor boys aren't familiar at first glance.

Flint and the stockier Gryffindor have their wands out and are yelling at each other, while the lanky red-head is nervously tugging at the other Gryffindor's arm, giving Jemma and Rajani a look that's an almost amusing mix of desperation and exasperation.

Jemma can't seem to get the two shouting boys' attention so Rajani pulls out her own wand and fires off a Caterwauling Charm. The shrieking very quickly gets everyone to stop screaming and starting cowering, including Jemma.

Rajani cancels the charm and puts her wand away. "Alright boys, wands away. It's after curfew and there's no dueling allowed in the halls regardless."

Both combatants hesitate, though the Gryffindor gives first when the red-head elbows him in the side. Flint only puts his wand away when Rajani glares directly at him.

"Good. Now first of all I'm taking five points from each of you for being out after curfew, so five from Slytherin and ten from Gryffindor." She doesn't give the boys a chance to argue. "Flint you're going to tell me what happened, and you two," She gestures at the Gryffindors, "Are going to talk to Jemma here. Then we're going to all three of you back to your dorms and report this to your Heads of House. I'll have no complaints, you're very clearly breaking the rules."

The Gryffindors follow Jemma a ways down the hall to give their version of events while Rajani drags Flint in the other direction.

"Wood started it. He got a smart mouth about the team. And my mum." He snaps. "I couldn't just leave that!"

"So you challenged him to a duel?" Rajani guesses, unimpressed and not hiding it.

"He challenged me. What am I supposed to do, not show? Slytherins aren't chickens."

"This could get you suspended from the team Flint." Rajani snaps. "Keep your disagreements on the field. And what's with the other kid? I'm remembering Wood a bit now but you didn't mention him at all. What was he, moral support?"

Flint looks away, flushing, and Rajani knows she's hit something that he hadn't shared before.

"I may have said something to the effect that those two are fags together." He grumbles.

Rajani's mind goes blank for a moment, then she slaps Flint. Hard.

"I don't care what you pull on the field. I don't care how many duels you try to have after curfew. But you never. Ever. Go after someone's uality, I don't care how much they piss you off. Wood had every right to be pissed for that comment. I won't tell Professor Snape this time but if I hear about you talking like that to anyone ever again I'm friends with Alasdair and I will have you benched. Are we clear?"

Flint has the decency to look ashamed. "Yeah, whatever. Weasley's not so bad anyway. I'll just deal with Wood on the field."

"There you go. We'll crush them next year yeah?" Rajani pats his shoulder. "You'll be sticking with Jemma and I until we get back to the common room then you go straight to your dorm."

They return the two boys to the Gryffindor Tower and Jemma fills Rajani in on their version of events after they drop of Flint, which match up with Marcus's for the most part though Wood had, of course, claimed that Flint had started things.

"I heard the same, though of course they're all pointing at each other as the catalyst. I propose we tell McGonagall and Snape that we aren't sure who started it and let them met out the punishment as they see fit."

Jemma nods quietly. "That sounds good to me."

She seems a bit odd, but Rajani doesn't think much of it until they've filed their reports with the professors and are about to part ways at the base of the dungeon staircase. That's when Jemma taps her shoulder hesitantly.

"I'm glad you were there today. I don't think I could have handled it that well - Flint never listens to anyone who isn't a Slytherin."

"It's just having a firm hand." Rajani says dismissively. "You would have figured it out." You're the perfect prefect after all.

Jemma smiles. "Thanks, but I don't think so. You did a really good job Rajani. I'm glad we were patrolling together." With that she turns and heads for the Hufflepuff common room.

Rajani blinks, and then shrugs. Jemma is always way too nice, and it's too late to bother analyzing the interaction. So she turns and heads back to her own common room, more than ready to pass out and end the day.

For all the stress leading up to it the Apparition test turns out to not be so bad.

Brandon is waiting outside the Great Hall when she, Evie, and Fitzwilliam emerge after the exam.

"So? How did you do?"

Franziska beams. "We passed!" And aside from that, she thinks, I'm really glad that we're friends again.

Turns out Evie had been correct - just walking up to Brandon and asking if he wanted to sit with them over the Christmas Break had been met with tentative acceptance, and things progressed naturally from there. It's still a bit awkward at times - she's learned that she can't joke about their relationship yet - but overall things are falling back into a more familiar routine and she's glad for it.

"It was easy." Evie declares proudly. She had gone home over the break and as such had missed the official reunion but has, in true Evie fashion, adapted admirably to the new person hanging around their group.

Brandon grumbles. "I start the class next week but I don't turn seventeen until June." He complains. "It that we can't just all get our lisences at the end of sixth year.

"You have to be of age." Fitzwilliam points out quietly. "Otherwise what's the point of even having the liscence? You couldn't use it until you turned seventeen anyways."

"And you'll get to Apparate home right after the test! How cool is that?" Evie adds with a grin.

They don't eat dinner together - with the whole school back they each stick with their own House during mealtimes - but Franziska doesn't mind so much as she gets into a conversation with Aidan and Leona about study habits and which ones are the most efficient.

Roderik asks her if she'll be helping with the weekend study group while some of his friends pester Jemma, and Franziska is still waffling on her answer when one of the Slytherin girls from their year walks over to Jemma and demands a conversation.

Franziska frowns after the girl and glances at Jemma who smiles reassuringly.

"Rajani Misra, she's one of my fellow prefects." She explains cheerfully. "I'm sure it's nothing to worry about."

Franziska still worries a bit, which is why she decides to stay up studying late that night - something she's learned that sixth and seventh years can get away with despite curfew being very clearly violated.

She's glad that she does - for one thing she finally thinks she understands the nonverbal theory they've been studying in Charms for the past several weeks, and for another Jemma looks about ready to cry when she walks into the common room after her patrol has ended.

Franziska immediately closes her textbook. "What happened?" She asks, half standing from the couch. Jemma shakes her head.

"Nothing, it's me. I'm just tired." She says, giving a distinctly unconvincing smile.

Franziska frowns at her. "Do you need to sleep before talking or are we talking now?" She asks in retaliation. "Come on, it's just me. We can talk to each other, right?"

Jemma sighs and settles on the couch a foot away from Franziska. "It really is nothing. Patrol was just rough. A couple younger years were fighting in the halls after curfew and I couldn't get control of the situation which is just frustrating."

Franziska shifts over so she can put a hand on Jemma's shoulder. "I'm sure you were just taken by surprise - you'll know what to do next time, right?"

Jemma sighs and buries her face in her hands, mumbling something that Franziska doesn't quite catch.

"Sorry, what?" She probes gently, and Jemma looks up, strained smile back in place.

"I know, you're right. Just frustrating. We should get to sleep, things always look brighter in the morning!" With that Jemma hops up and heads down the corridor to the dorms, leaving Franziska with nothing to do but gather her books and follow, resolving to check on Jemma again in the morning.

However, when morning comes Jemma is seemingly fine, cheerfully chatting with Cian and Donaghan about their band and a new song that Cian is working on.

Franziska eyes them suspiciously all through breakfast, and she's surprised when Donaghan approaches her after they've finished and most of their classmates head for the library or the common room to study and socialize.

"You stayed up late last night right? Did you see Jemma come in from patrol?"

Franziska is a little confused as to where the question is coming from. "Yeah I did. She seemed down then but she looks fine now?"

Donaghan shakes his head. "She's acting like it but she's still... I dunno, off. You think I should try to talk to her? You seem to know her better than anyone else in the House."

Franziska shrugs. "I think it can't hurt to try. Don't push her obviously, but if you can tell something's bothering her I think she won't be angry about you asking."

Donaghan nods. "Okay. Thanks Frannie."

"No problem, good luck. She was walled up pretty tightly last night." Franziska warns, and he nods in acknowledgement before hurrying to catch up with Jemma and Cian down the hall.

"What was all that about?" Kiera asks when Franziska walks over to join her and Tonks as they head for the greenhouses to study for Herbology.

Franziska jsut shrugs. "He had a question, I tried answering it as best I could. Any more detail than that would be probably infringing on someone's privacy."

Kiera hums. "Fair enough. So who wants to get the venomous tentaculas out because I'm calling not it right now."

As none of them have classes that morning they spend the entire day in Greenhouse twelve, affectionately nicknamed 'the helper house' by the many Hufflepuffs who use it for practical practice, studying the venomous tentaculas (and occasionally annoying the venomous tentaculas) until it's time for lunch.

Tonks and Franziska leave Kiera to pack things up since she hadn't helped to get anything out and walk back towards the castle, trudging through the foot of snow that still decorates the school's grounds.

"I saw you and Brandon are talking again. What's going on there?" Tonks asks, only to immediately trip and fall into a snowbank.

Franziska can't help giggling even as she helps her friend up. "That's what you get for attempting to take over Leona's job." She teases. "Anyway, there isn't anything going on there, we're just friends again. Trust me, I'm not dating him again, that ship has sailed, caught on fire, and sunk to the bottom of the ocean."

Tonks laughs. "Okay okay, I got it." She dries herself off with a flick of her wand and the two continue walking. "Then you're probably free for the Valentine's Hogsmeade weekend? Apparently Kiera and Tyler are going together so I've been ditched."

"So nice to know I'm the backup." Franziska jokes. "But sure, I'll go with you. We can make fun of the other couples." She blinks. "Wait, Tyler and Kiera are dating? When did that happen and how did I miss it?"

"Well you're spending a lot of time with the Ravenclaws lately." Tonks points out. "But honestly I think only Leona knew about it, and only because she somehow knows everything. Ty and Kiera have always been friends so I guess it was the next natural step for them? I dunno, I was as surprised as you honestly. Mind you I'm awful at that sort of stuff. Did you know one of the older Hufflepuffs tried to ask me out and I didn't know about it until Leona told me a year later? Honestly why people can't just be upfront about what they want is beyond me."

Franziska shrugs. "Not everyone is as unconcerned with their image as you are. Putting yourself out there is hard, especially when feelings are involved." She points out.

Tonks hums. "I guess. Well, whatever, when I like someone I'm just going to tell them, none of this wishy-washy nonsense."

Franziska just shakes her head in amusement. She can definitely see Tonks diving headfirst into romance - she just hopes it doesn't end up getting the Metamorphagus hurt.

Kiera catches up to them just as they reach the castle and Franziska can't resist asking her about Tyler.

Kiera grins, coloring slightly. "Oh well, it's not a date-date, more like a date with a question mark stuck to the end of it? We're just seeing if it would make sense."

Franziska is about to push for more information when she glances to her left and nearly trips over air (a feat usually reserved for the Metamorphagus to her right).

Donaghan had obviously had a lot more luck talking to Jemma than Franziska had if the fact they're currently kissing is anything to go by.

Kiera glances towards where she's looking and grins. "Aw, cute, Donny finally got the girl. He's been pining after her since we were thirteen."

"Didn't she just break up with that other guy?" Tonks asks, clearly confused.

Kiera scoffs. "Sure, almost a year ago. We can ask Leona but I'm pretty sure this is safely out of rebound range."

"I just don't get how it happened." Franziska says uncertainly as the three girls back away and try to not disturb the new couple. "Last night she was a mess and now she's jumping into a relationship? Isn't that generally a poor idea?"

"Her poor idea to execute on. We don't know the full story, this could very well be a great thing." Kiera points out and Tonks grins.

"You just really want them to be together, don't you?"

"Thirteen Tonks! He's liked her for three years, let me be happy for him! It's adorable!"

Franziska still feels a bit of hesitance towards the situation but she's hopeful that Jemma might explain it to her. At the very least she knows Donaghan doesn't have any bad intentions - the kid is way too much of a passive sweetheart for that.

She doesn't get a chance to talk to Jemma until after dinner that night. She looks for the blonde once her History of Magic class is over but the prefect isn't in her usual spots and even Evera and Drake aren't sure where she is (though Drake's sulkiness while responding makes Franziska think he might be actively avoiding information about his ex).

But finally she manages to grab her friend just as they're all exiting the Great Hall that night.

"Hey, can we talk?"

Jemma laughs. "I figured you might want to. Come on, let's find an empty classroom."

They walk in silence for a minute or so before Jemma starts talking, though Franziska can tell it's just to fill the silence.

"So I was tutoring a third year after History otherwise I would have stayed to talk to you then. Her name's Adeline, she's really sweet, maybe prefect material though I know it's probably early to think about that yet. You would like her, I think. You would like a lot of my students though - you already know Roderik right? He says you help him with Charms and Herbology sometimes."

"Jemma." Franziska interrupts, almost amused at the rambling. "Relax. How about here?" She gestures towards one of the empty rooms they're passing and Jemma nods.

The blonde takes a set across from the door, and Franziska sits on the chair in front of her, spinning so she's sitting on it backwards so she can face her friend.

"So. You and Donaghan." She prompts.

Jemma sighs. "He's really nice. And really cute. And I've kind of liked him for a while? But then Drake asked me out and I've told you about Drake already."

Franziska nods, giving no verbal response so as to not break up Jemma's thought process.

Jemma shifts in her chair. "So yeah, I don't know. We were talking about last night and I told him... well, last night wasn't the first time I've frozen up like that. I'm just... really bad at getting people to listen to me when they're angry I guess? I sort of freeze up and panic and all I could think was how both of the jobs I'm considering are really high stress and maybe I'm not cut out for either one."

Franziska is surprised when instead of sighing, Jemma actually smiles. "Donaghan told me that that was ridiculous and that he's seen me take control of situations plenty of times." She tilts her head back. "I don't know. It was really nice to hear someone having faith in me when all I could think about was everything I've ever done wrong when trying to help. So I kissed him. And he kissed back. And... I think I'm really happy about it? I don't know how to tell Evera and Drake but even that isn't really stressing me out yet."

Franziska studies her friend's face for a long moment before smiling tentatively. "Well... it sounds like you've got a lot to work through, but it also sounds like Donaghan is a good person to have around while you're doing that. And he's right, you can take charge, but I've noticed you're best at dealing with the aftermath of things rather than preemptively stopping things. No offense." She adds quickly and Jemma laughs.

"None taken, you might be right. I'm going to keep thinking about it, we have another year and a half after all."

"It goes by fast though." Franziska sighs. "To think, next June I'm going back to Germany permanently. I'm going to miss you guys."

Jemma hums. "I'm going to miss you too. All of you really, we've had a pretty awesome group in our House."

The two reminisce for several minutes before Jemma jumps out of her seat.

"Well what are we doing here moping around? All our friends are waiting in the common room right now - we can go talk to them! We can mope next year after graduation."

Franziska laughs and follows Jemma back towards the Hufflepuff common room. She knows her friend is right but it's still odd to think how soon they'll be finishing school and starting their adult lives. She wonders how many of her friends she'll really keep in touch with after they all graduate - cross-country communication is notoriously difficult.

She does her best to shake off the nostalgia as she and Jemma reach the common room entrance - Jemma is right that they still have a year and a half yet. And Franziska is going to make sure that the memories she makes are worth looking back on.

Jeez Louise I wrote Frannie's section in one shot on Saturday. So this has not been edited whatsoever (even on my 'non edited' chapters I do some quick fixes) since it was literally finished six hours before upload time. Still, a lot happened here and literally all of it is important (I mean, most of it is romance stuff but THERE'S SOME NON-ROMANCE STUFF OKAY). Next chapter will take us to the end of sixth year - and then we'll really be in the home stretch!