Chapter Thirty

Hogwarts: A History ✫*゚Completed
New and Old

After the date with Ed (during which they did buy all her new school supplies in addition to a few extras), the rest of Rajani's summer is spent in bouts of intense boredom broken up by the occasional letters from her friends.

By the time September first arrives she's about ready to burst. Her homework had been completed weeks before, and even Sahana's OWL textbooks have done as much as they can without Rajani actually understanding the last bits of theory or being able to practice anything practically.

So it's a relief to push her trolley through the barrier between Platforms nine and ten and hurry through the bustling platform to the train.

Her parents had just dropped her off out front at her insistence, "I'm a prefect now, so I need to look professional and adult so the first years will trust me.", so she's able to immediately look for Ed, who'd promised to meet her on the platform and show her where the Prefects' car is.

She doesn't spot her boyfriend right away, but she does run into Lenox and Clary, who are standing on the platform with their parents.

Clary waves at her cheerfully. "Hey Raj." She greets once Rajani is close enough to hear her over the bustle of the platform. "Mom, Dad, this is Rajani, she's the one I covered for last month. How was the date?" She grins teasingly and Rajani feels a faint stab of jealousy at how relaxed and playful Clary seems to be with her parents.

"It was fantastic, thanks for asking. Also as the new prefect I'm pretty sure I can take points for sassing me."

Clary laughs. "Oh good, so glad power hasn't gone to your head." She teases.

"Did you have a good summer?" Lenox adds, resting a hand lightly on Clary's shoulder in a clear indication for her to reign it in slightly. She leans lightly into the touch.

Rajani shrugs. "It had... ups and downs. Mostly a lot of flat if I'm honest. I get why Sahana moved out as quickly after graduation as she did, that house is stifling."

"Speaking of stifling, we should get to the prefects' car before all the good seats are snagged." A familiar voice adds, and Rajani grins as she turns.

"Ed!" She hugs him and greets him with a kiss that may or may not be more enthusiastic than it strictly needs to be.

"Missed you too Raj. Hey Clary, Lenox. Cute outfits, did you match on purpose?"

The two blush slightly, and Rajani can't believe she didn't notice that her friends were dressed in the same colors. She laughs.

"It is cute, but really guys?" She can't help but tease.

Clary sticks her tongue out. "More efficient than trying to off his face every time someone new comes by to announce his taken status."

Lenox turns bright red and Rajani can feel her own cheeks warming but she refuses to be too embarrassed by her public display of affection from a few moments before. "You're just jealous. I'll see you guys at school, yeah?"

She and Ed head towards the front of the train, pushing their trolleys ahead of them.

"So you already told me you didn't make Head Boy, but do you have any idea who did? They're in charge of coordinating all the prefects, right?" Rajani questions once they reach the front and Ed starts hauling their trunks onto the train.

"I mean, I figure it's probably Bill and Willow, but who knows? You don't have to be a Prefect to be made Head Boy or Girl so it could be literally anyone from our year, and I don't know anyone from the other Houses well enough to judge if any of them is better for the role."

Rajani raises an eybrow as she steps onto the train, taking their pets' carriers while Ed struggles to drag the trunks along. "Really? That seems a bit odd, but I suppose it makes sense. People can mature between fifteen and seventeen." She muses. "Still, how often does that actually happen?"

"Once every couple of decades is how I understand it." Ed offers. "Dunno when the last time was though, so I couldn't give an actual statistical number or anything." He nods at one of the compartment. "This is it. Welcome to the biggest compartment on the train."

Rajani is actually rather impressed by the prefect compartment once she's able to peer around her boyfriend and get a proper look at it.

It's most notably incredibly roomy inside, with space for all the prefects and then some. Ed gets help from the male Hufflepuff prefect from his year, and the two of them swap easy grins once the job is done and Ed returns to Rajani, who's hovering near the doorway, feeling a bit awkward and invasive. She notes that she's the first one from her year to have arrived - everyone else seems to already know each other.

Ed places a hand lightly on the small of her back and nudges her into the room. "Willow, this is my girlfriend." He announces to one of the three Ravenclaws huddled around an Exploding Snap deck.

The ravenette not playing glances up and grins. "Hey, I've heard things about you. Welcome to the club. Leave your bias at the door and we'll get on great." She swings her legs around and offers a handshake. "Willow Kiddell, Head Girl and I think you probably know my little sister Holly, she's hard to miss."

"I have a vague recollection of someone yelling about wand wood during some of our first year classes." Rajani confirms dryly and accepts the proferred greeting, shaking firmly. "And as long as everyone else leaves the bias we'll be good."

Willow sighs. "Workable. Well, make yourself comfortable, socialize, these are the people you'll be working with for the next year so I'd recommend finding something to talk about with them."

"I'll introduce her." Ed says quickly, pulling Rajani along with him. Willow waves a few fingers at their departure and turns back to the Exploding Snap game.

"So that was Willow, like she said. The two she was with were John, seventh year Ravenclaw prefect, and Iris, one of the seventh year Hufflepuff prefects. Adrian was the other seventh year from Hufflepuff, he helped with the bags." He nods to the broad brunet in reminder. "He's pretty chill, real fun to patrol with. You're more likely to be with the fifth or sixth years though."

"Hey Ed, this one of the new snakes?" A curious voice questions from the entrance of the carriage. Rajani vaguely recognizes the boy standing in the doorway, his trunk gripped in one hand as he twists rather awkwardly to try and keep the hold while also addressing Ed.

Ed grins. "Yep, this is my girlfriend Rajani. Raj this is Trevor, sixth year Slytherin."

"AKA the one you want to be paired with for patrols." Trevor says, a wicked grin on his face. "Nice to meet you Raj." He finally gives up on his trunk and sweeps into a low bow, taking Rajani's hand and kissing the back of it. She can't help but laugh.

"Nice to meet you Trevor." She affects a curtsey once he's stood up again. Ed pulls her pointedly against his side once she's straightened up, and she grins at the slight show of possessiveness.

"Where's Lucy? She's usually one of the first in." Trevor observes to Ed, who just shrugs.

"Probably upset about not getting Head Girl, you know how she is. What about Gabi?"

Rajani figures those must be the other female Slytherins they're expecting. She lets the two boys chat a bit as she looks around the compartment for anyone she recognizes. The only other fifth year present are the two Ravenclaws, whose names Rajani honestly can't remember and who are keeping to themselves in one of the corners of the car.

Ed points out a few other people - Bill Weasley from Gryffindor, Tabitha from Hufflepuff, and Terrence from Ravenclaw - but they all blend together for Rajani and she figures she'll learn their faces during the year.

Eventually everyone else arrives just in time for the train to start moving, and Willow and Bill shoo everyone into their seats.

"Alright guys, we'll try to make this as quick and painless as possible so you all can get changed and start patrols." Bill grins easily.  "First of all, I'm going to clear up the misconception that as Prefects you can do whatever you like - that's not true. Disappointing, I know." He jokes and the Hufflepuff prefects from Rajani's year laugh.

Willow rolls her eyes slightly. "What he means is that you may take away House Points when you deem it appropriate, and you may also hand out detentions, again when appropriate, but you may not give points and you may not take points from your fellow prefects. And know that if you do abuse your power it will be taken away."

"What about curfew? We don't have to follow that anymore, right?" Charlie pipes up with a grin from where he's sitting next to his brother. Honestly Rajani only recognizes him because of the familiar resemblance.

Willow sighs. "Each of you will be assigned a patrol route and time. During these patriols you'll be paired with one other Prefect and you're in charge of keeping each other in line. You won't have patrols every night, and Bill and I will need to know when your Astronomy classes are - fifth years especially." She looks thoughtful. "I think that's about everything. We will be patrolling the corridors of the train so that the new prefects get used to it. Your jobs for this are just to comfort any confused first years and help people where you can. All of you need to be back here one hour before we arrive and Bill and I will go over your duties for the Feast tonight. Any questions?"

No one has any, so Bill starts handing out their pairs for the train patrols. Much to both their chagrin Rajani ends up paired with one of the Hufflepuff sixth years - Tabitha, who she remembers Ed pointing out - and Ed ends up teamed up with the female Gryffindor from Rajani's year.

Rajani pauses so she can properly talk to Eugene before starting on the patrol. "Hey, how was your summer?"

He grins and shrugs. "Pretty fantastic, but Queenie wants to tell you herself so we'll probably talk about it at the Feast." He replies. "Also I think your partner is getting antsy." He adds with a laugh, and Rajani turns to find that sure enough, Tabitha is bouncing on the balls of her feet, staring intensly at the back of Rajani's head.

"Ugh, this is going to be great." Rajani drawls bitterly.

Eugene just laughs at her misfortune. "I'd offer to switch but I'm with Willow and like heck I'm giving up a chance to watch the Head Girl in action."

Rajani rolls her eyes at him before finally walking over to her partner.

"So um, hi. I'm Rajani." She introduces herself stiffly.

Tabitha grins. "I heard! You're dating Ed, right? Is it weird dating someone older like that? I couldn't imagine it. Do you want to get changed now or do the patrol first and then change after? Ooh, and I like being called Tabs rather than Tabitha!"

Rajani blinks slowly as she attempts to process the rush of information streaming from her partner. "Um, I, now?" She decides, disliking how it comes out sounding like a question. "Now, we should change now." She repeats more firmly.

Tabitha - Tabs - giggles and hums in agreement. "Meet back here in five then?" She offers cheerfully, skipping off before Rajani can actually respond.

Rajani decides while she changes that she doesn't like Tabs very much. Her opinion is unaffected when the two girls meet up again and the sixteen year old immediately starts prattling away again.

"You'll get used to Prefect duties really fast, and Bill and Willow already are way better than our Head Boy and Girl from last year. It took me a solid month to figure out that we couldn't take points from each other, and it took Arnold even longer. He's my pair, I like calling the prefects from the same year and House as pairs, though I guess that could be weird for you since you're dating Ed so he would be more your pair?"

Rajani bites down on an irritated groan as Tabs continues talking and instead focuses on tuning out her patrol partner as they head down the train. She figures nothing will really come up on their walk down the train so she doesn't really need to pay attention to the cars.

They're halfway down the train, and two and a half hours into the ride, and Tabs still hasn't run out of breath. Now she's on about Quidditch and the statistics for the teams in the new year.

"Lola is graduating this year which super , so hopefully there will be someone in the incoming class who's really good because our backup Seeker is actually one of our Chasers so he's not great at Seekering. Also then we would need a new Chaser. What about the Slytherin team? How are you guys looking?"

Rajani has learned by now that she doesn't actaully need to reply to Tabs, even when the questions are directed at her, so she takes a moment to realize the other girl is actually expecting an answer this time.

"Oh, um, I honestly haven't been paying much attention to the team since I dropped it last year. My friend Lenox is the Seeker though, and he's pretty good."

Tabs beams. "Oh yeah, he's fantastic! You're friends with him? That's really cool! I don't really know anyone on our team, like, I know of them and stuff but no one in my year is on the team so I'm not super close friends with any of the team members."

Rajani sighs softly and lets Tabs return to her chatter, scanning idly back and forth between the cars. She spots her friends at one point, but they're caught up talking with each other and don't notice her passing. She considers stopping Tabs so she can say hello, but decides that she'd rather see her friends when she's not dragging an annoying Hufflepuff around with her.

They arrive back in the Prefects' compartment almost an hour earlier than they need to, and Rajani considers running back to her friends' car but she's pulled aside by a girl in Slytherin robes who looks relieved to see her.

"Oh thank goodness, another snake. I was the first one back and I'm about ready to throw the little Hufflepuff boy off the train." The woman huffs. "Lucy Brown by the way, I'm-"

"Seventh year Slytherin prefect." Rajani finishes with a smile. "Rajani Misra, you probably knew my sister?"

The two girls are joined by the rest of the Slytherins as they come in from their patrols, and Rajani finds that she gets along well with the other Slytherin prefects quite well.

All in all, Tabs aside, she's pretty excited about her new role.

Myr somehow manages to hide the fact about his uncle being their new Defense professor for the entire train ride.

Of course they have more pressing things to talk about, such as OWLs and Charlie and Fiona's promotion to prefect. Both of them pop in on the compartment during their prefect patrols but neither can stay for very long, so Myr mostly spends the ride chatting with Holly, Evera, and Drake.

With three out of four being Quidditch players, that ends up being the topic for most of the ride.

"So Kent says that Charlie is almost definitely the new Team Captain, which will be fun." Evera reports. "Also Kent says not to grow up because being an adult and trying to get a job is terrible."

"With Charlie in charge, I think we might actually have a decent chance this year. Given we get a good Keeper of course." Myr offers.

Holly laughs. "You mean as long as Oliver is actually as good as he says he is." She jokes.

Evera grins. "True enough, though really he's just trying to be better than my brother, so it's not a huge order to fill."

"Harsh." Drake chuckles, though he's a bit subdued. Jemma had arrived on the platform with him but she'd had to run off pretty quickly to join the other prefects at the front of the train, and she hasn't stopped in to say hello. With only an hour left until they arrive at school Myr doubts they're going to see her until classes in the morning.

When they arrive at the station Myr takes a carriage with the same group he'd ridden over with and they continue their discussion all the way to the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall.

Myr nervously scans the front table for his uncle, and spots Cyril chatting amicably with Professor Sprout. He hasn't yet noticed Myr, and Myr is quick to avert his eyes so as not to make eye contact.

They get through the Sorting without anyone noticing, though he supposes only Holly knows what his uncle looks like so he shouldn't be that worried, but then Dumbledore stands up to give the start of year speech, and Myr suddenly remembers that he always introduces the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

Myr keeps his eyes very carefully on the table but he can still here when the Headmaster reaches the introduction despite the rush in his ears.

"And please give a warm welcome to Cyril Greengrass, who will be your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher!"

Myr can see Holly turning to look at him from across the table as the rest of the room applauds politely. Myr pointedly doesn't meet her eyes. This is going to be incredibly awkward.

Finally the speech is finished and the Feast appears on the table. Holly is still watching him, and when Myr finally looks over at her she's smirking.

"Well no wonder your uncle was so excited to meet your school friends." She observes.

Fiona looks over. "Uncle?" She asks, fork paused halfway up to .

Holly beams even as Myr tries to telepathically ask her to not. "Professor Greengrass is Myr's uncle!" She says, loud enough that everyone sitting near them looks over, including a few of the second years who have settled nearby.

Specifically, the two male second years who had previously been engaged in a debate about something or other, as they usually are.

"The Defense professor is your Uncle Myr? Do you think he might give me a pass this year, since I've got Quidditch and all now?" Oliver Wood asks hopefully. Percy Weasley kicks him.

"Honestly Oliver, if you just study before there's a week left to finals you'll do fine. But on that question, you don't suppose he'd be willing to answer some questions after class, or on the weekends do you?" Percy asks shyly.

Myr sighs. "I mean, Uncle Cyril probably would be okay setting up a time you could ask him questions."

"Uncle Cyril? Hey, will you get to call him that in class?" Drake asks curiously. "Ooh, can I get extra credit for being your friend?"

Holly snorts as Myr buries his face in his hands as the rest of his friends begin pestering him with questions as well.

Thankfully they switch to teasing Charlie and Fiona when the two new prefects have to take the first years up to the Tower after the Feast is over.

"They volunteered to do it." Bill Weasley informs the group, sounding amused. "I mean, don't get me wrong they would have had to do it anyway - no one wants the job of herding confused and excited first years - but they actually volunteered before we could tell them they had to do it. It was kind of funny, your year has some very enthusiastic prefects."

"We'll see how long they last." The girl sitting next to Bill drawls. Myr has seen her around the eldest Weasley boy before - he thinks she might be the other prefect in Bill's year - but he doesn't actually know her name. And with her sour attitude he's not surprised he hasn't bothered to get to know her before.

"Harriet be nice. Enthusiasm is a good thing." Bill scolds lightly. "This is why you didn't make Head Girl."

"Who would want to? It's NEWT year, I've got better things to stress about." Harriet mutters, mostly to herself though loud enough that they all hear her.

Bill rolls his eyes. "Right. Anyway, we should head up as well, the firsties are probably getting settled in by now, and you've all got class in the morning."

All the students are starting to file out of the Great Hall towards their dorms, and Myr and his friends quickly join him.

"Seriously though Myr, why didn't you mention about your uncle?" Brandon asks curiously. Beside him, Nabila nods.

Myr sighs. "I didn't know myself until recently, and I guess I just didn't think it was that big a deal."

"Liar, you wouldn't look at me when it was announced." Holly pokes him. "It's cool though, your uncle seems fun and it'll be good to actually have a half-decent teacher for our OWL year." She adds, her tone a bit kinder.

Myr shrugs and stares at his feet as they make their way up to the Tower.

"Flitterbloom." Bill tells the Fat Lady, who smiles broadly and swings open to permit them entrance to the Tower.

"Didn't we have that password our first year?" Evera mumbles, and Myr shrugs at her.

"Only so many passwords?" He guesses, but the repeat does seem a bit odd to him.

When they reach the room Charlie and, surprisingly, Remi are already unpacked and settled in.

"Hey guys, welcome. First years are obnoxious but also there's a little lady Chaser name Angelina and she's my favorite." Charlie greets, hanging off the side of his bed with a grin. "I'm going to give her Jacob's spot next year."

Myr shakes his head lightly. "Don't go making promises when there's still a year left. She may be awful."

"Oliver may be awful but we all know he's going to be the new Keeper." Brandon points out. "Let the new Captain be excited Myr."

They settle down pretty quickly after that despite the teasing - all of them are apparently drained from the trip, and Myr falls asleep just before midnight.

The next morning Professor McGonagall hands them their schedules, and Evera makes a big deal of being disappointed they they don't have Defense Against the Dark Arts until Monday.

"And double potions in the morning." She adds with a groan. "Thank goodness that Arithmancy is first after breakfast, I think I'd die if my very first class back was with the great bat himself."

Myr makes a face, along with everyone else who isn't taking Arithmancy. "Well, I guess we can take the free hour to go over our Potions notes." He suggests tiredly. "I'd rather not go into the negatives with House points on the first morning."

Surprisingly double Potions isn't unbearable, though Myr can't say he wouldn't have chosen literally any other class to be his first one of the school year. He pairs up with Holly, and they do passably on the assignment and have fun chatting while waiting for things to boil and cool.

Afterwards they head to lunch and take a proper look at the rest of their schedules.

"Astronomy at one in the morning, ugh." Evera wrinkles her nose. "And on Tuesdays as well, that's just cruel."

Nabila taps her own schedule lightly. "It would be if we didn't have the entire morning on Wednesdays free." She points out.

Myr glances at his own schedule and starts to reply, but Charlie beats him to it.

"Unless you have Muggle Studies. But even that's right before lunch so it's still a pretty substantial sleep in." The red head observes.

After lunch they have Charms with Professor Flitwick, and they spend the class reviewing everything from the past four years.

"This year are your OWLs, which will cover everything we've every done!" The tiny professor reminds them repeatedly. "So be sure to practice everything, not just the new charms we'll be working on!"

"Oh jeez, we'll have to remember everything from potions too, won't we?" Evera groans. "I'm going to fail that OWL, no questions."

"I think most of us are." Charlie laughs. "Bill says that all four houses are lumped together for NEWT level potions since so few people actually take it. Plus, Snape requires an E or higher, unlike most teachers who just need an A."

"I can't say I'll miss that class." Drake makes a face.

Brandon pouts dramatically. "Are you all abandoning me?" He cries dramatically. "Alone in the bat's lair, probably with a bunch of snakes."

"Not our fault you have some weird love of the worst class." Charlie teases. "Oh, total subject change, but I'm getting the Quidditch pitch reserved for next Wednesday afternoon for tryouts. That okay with everyone?"

"You're the captain Charlie, I'm pretty sure that's your call." Fiona points out. "But yeah, Wednesday should be good. It's not like we're going to have all that much to do during the first week."

"Ms. McKay, if you have time to chat you have time to demonstrate! Come, let's see how your engorging charm looks!" Professor Flitwick interrupts their discussion, and Myr feels his cheeks heat slightly. He's normally much better about staying focused during class.

Thankfully they have an hour break after Charms class, during which they continue their Quidditch discussion.

"Everyone is still going to try out right? I don't think there are any other Beaters as good as you two at school right now." Charlie double checks with Myr and Fiona.

Myr nods. "It would take a lot to get me to stop playing." He grins. "Quidditch was the first magical thing I was actually good at."

"Because of your wand-" Holly starts but Evera smacks a hand over with a laugh.

"We know Holly, save it for Herbology." The blonde grins. "Also we should probably head for Care of Magical Creatures. Kettleburn said we'd be working with nifflers this year and I want to play with them before class starts!"

"That doesn't mean we'll be working with them today though..." Myr tries to point out, but Evera has already jumped up and started rushing for the front door, dragging Drake along with her. Charlie and Nabila are right behind her, with the latter tugging at Fiona's sleeve as she goes.

Myr shares an amused look with Holly and Brandon before the three of them head after their friends.

Because of their early arrival they do actually get to play with the Kneazle from the fourth years' class, but no nifflers are in sight. Remi and the three remaining Slytherins in their class (there had been a fourth but she'd dropped out between third and fourth year) arrive just before three, and Professor Kettleburn sets Charlie and Nabila - the two undisputed best students in their class - to get the Kneazle fed and settled while he starts the class.

"Alrighty everyone, welcome back!" Professor Kettleburn waves his stump arm cheerfully in the air in greeting. "This year is an important one as I'm sure your other teachers have already told you enough times to make you want to pull your hair out! So I'm not gong to bother with all that. Instead, I have a job for you all! There are twenty five Bowtruckles in the trees around us - go find them! I borrowed some brooms from Coach Crowell so feel free to use them in your search!"

Evera nudges Myr with a grin. "Want to bet he just accidentally let them out and figured it was good enough for a lesson?" She jokes as they grab two of the offered brooms and take off to check the canopy.

"I mean, it's good practice either way."

"Found three!" Holly shouts happily from the ground. "Everyone, check the trees with the highest magical capacities first! Bowtruckles tend to next on magic trees!"

Myr glances at Evera. "Do you know how to tell which trees are magical?"

She shrugs. "No idea. I guess Holly's wand obsession might actually be useful outside of Herbology." She jokes.

"Hey Holly, you want to elaborate on how to even do that?" Remi shouts from where he's hovering a few trees away. Myr hadn't even realized he'd joined them in the air.

He can make out the tall brunette shrugging. "Um, it feels magical?" She shouts back, a trifle unhelpfully.

"Ah yes, the feel of magic, I know it well." Evera laughs, and Myr grins.

"I think we might just have to resort to checking everything." He observes.

They do eventually collect all the Bowtruckles, with Holly directing the search efforts with enthusiasm.

"And that's why you should pay attention in Herbology." She announces as they head back to the castle after class. "Though I guess actually we're not doing wand woods, but there's been plenty on identifying magical plants."

"She's right. You guys are boned for the OWL." Brandon adds with a grin.

Charlie punches him lightly. "Like you'll do any better."

"He will. Brandon didn't need my help." Holly pipes up cheerfully. "Nice to know I'll know at least one person in Herbology next year since you're all failing out." She teases.

It's a casual jab, but it actually makes Myr start worrying. OWLs really do determine the rest of their lives, and while he's pretty sure he was planning to drop a few classes the idea of actually failing out leaves a bad taste in his mouth.

When they reach the castle he decides to head to the library. It's never too early to start preparing after all.

Franziska thinks fifth year might be their weirdest schedule to date.

On Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays she has barely any classes at all, while Tuesdays and Wednesdays are never ending back-to-back classes save a short break after lunch on Wednesdays.

Franziska knows it's just a result of how her electives landed, but she's still not used to the schedule even a month into the year.

"Next year will be even worse." Tyler Abbott informs her when she mentions it at breakfast one the first Wednesday of October. "Lola says that dropping classes after OWLs absolute butchers any sense of logic in the scheduling."

"Except for the few crazies who don't drop anything." Leona pipes up wryly.

Jemma tilts her head curiously. "Well if you pass all your OWLs, why not continue taking all the classes?" She points out lightly.

"Well if a class won't help you with your career choices then what's the point of taking it other than stressing yourself out?" Tyler points out.

"Knowledge for knowledge's sake isn't a crime." Aidan offers. "One could take a class simply because they enjoy it."

Leona pokes him. "You sound like a Ravenclaw." She teases.

"Nothing wrong with that." Aidan replies easily. "Though I'm a proud Hufflepuff, even moreso now that I'm a Prefect."

"Same here." Jemma adds with a nod. "I had to talk to four different first years who were disappointed with their placement."

Franziska makes a face. "I'll never understand that, I wanted to be Hufflepuff for as long as I knew about Hogwarts. What's so great about the other Houses?"

"Absolutely nothing!" Henry declares cheerfully, and he raises his glass of orange juice in a mock toast, which they all join in on, laughing.

The moment is interrupted when the tablecloth on the far end of the table catches on fire, and a familar voice shouts the usual apology and, "That wasn't supposed to do that!"

"Someone really needs to take Saundra's wand away, she's gotten worse." Cian grumbles. "She snapped three of my guitar strings a couple of days ago. Thank goodness for magic since those are really expensive to replace."

"What could she have been trying to do that would snap guitar strings?" Donaghan wonders, eyeing the flames at the end of the table warily until one of the seventh years puts them out. "Those aren't exactly easy to break."

Cian shrugs. "Something about duplicating her quills? I wasn't really listening to her excuses."

"Still, you should do something." Tyler waves his fork at Jemma and Aidan. "You're prefects now, can't you do stuff like that?"

"We can take points and give detentions when warranted." Jemma recites. "Which really isn't much."

"I imagine Saundra has already had plenty of detentions, so clearly that doesn't perturb her much." Aidan adds with a shrug.

"Man, what's the point of being a prefect if your powers are that lame?" Tonks sighs dramatically, finally pausing her inhalation of breakfast to contribute to the conversation.

"Ha, I win!" Kiera shouts happily. The two had been competing over who could finish their food faster, which honestly Franziska thinks is gross but they're not sitting near her so she hadn't protested that much.

Tonks sticks her tongue out in retort. "I'll beat you tomorrow." She promises.

They head to class as a group a few minutes later, making their way down into the dungeons. Despite having a boyfriend who's a huge fan of the class, Potions is still Franziska's least favorite lesson, so starting the day with a double block is always rough.

She partners up with Henry once they arrive, and he unfolds his cauldron while she lays out the ingredients for the potions Professor Snape had told them they'd be brewing.

"Did you read the prep last night?" She asks once she's certain the vial of salamander blood isn't going to fall off the table and make a mess.

Henry sighs, though he's smiling ruefully. "Yeah I did. I'm never living last year down, am I?"

Franziska elbows him lightly. "You made a hole through solid stone floor." She teases. "But hey, on the bright side didn't Amelia ask you about it afterwards?"

Henry flushes at the name of his long-time crush. "Yeah. B-but still, it's a bad impression!" He flails slightly and Franziska grabs the salamander's blood just to be safe.

"Calm down Henry, I'm teasing. Oh, on the topic-"

"Don't-"

"You should sit with her in Charms today. And ask her to Hogsmeade." Franziska finishes with a grin. Their whole Hufflepuff class have taken to teasing and pestering Henry about Amelia since the second week of class when he'd literally tripped down the stairs because he'd been watching her instead of where he was going.

"I can't, do you know how embarrassing that would be?" Henry whines. Franziska elbows him again.

"You're fifteen now Henry, and really it doesn't hurt a thing to try. It's not like you're friends anyway, and the first trip is this weekend! It's now or never."

Henry looks over at her, his cheeks still flushed. "But-"

"Sit down." Professor Snape drawls as he sweeps into the classroom, and immediately everyone falls silent. Franziska swears that the temperature drops, and she knows it's going to be a rough class. Snape is in a bad mood.

Snape being sour is nothing new - Franziska is pretty sure he isn't capable of feeling true happiness at this point - but this year he's been particularly irritable. Leona had told them that according to the rumor mill, Professor Snape and Professor Greengrass don't get along at all, which is the reason for the increased moodiness.

Franziska doesn't understand how anyone could dislike Professor Greengrass, who's easily their best Defense teacher since Professor Whits in their first year, but conversely it's Snape. So really it isn't all that surprising he'd hate someone everyone else likes.

Luckily she and Henry manage to make a passable Strengthening Solution, so Snape's irritation falls elsewhere - namely onto Tonks and Kiera who have both always had trouble with the class. Franziska isn't sure why they keep pairing up considering neither of them usually knows what they're doing.

All in all it's not the worst potions class she's had, but she's definitely looking forward to dropping the class after this year.

She leaves Henry in the dungeons along with Tonks, Tyler, and Aidan, while she and the rest of the Hufflepuffs head to Muggle Studies on the third floor.

Professor Quirrell is already bumbling around the room, shuffling some papers on his desk and looking a bit lost. He seems relieved when the Hufflepuffs arrive, closely followed by a few of the other students in the class.

"Ah, welcome, welcome, I have your essays graded!" He greets, his hands fluttering towards the pile of parchment he'd just set down. "You may come find yours in the pile once you've picked a seat!"

Franziska generally likes Muggle Studies, and she generally likes the flighty and distractible professor as well, but sometimes she thinks he doesn't fully think through his decisions before making them. Which is a bit odd for a Ravenclaw.

The class rushes to the front desk to try and find their essay, the first graded one of the year. Franziska sighs and drops her bag next to one of the seats, dropping herself into said seat a moment later.

"You avoiding the crush of people too?" Evie Jones takes up residence next to Franziska, grinning over at her.

Franziska returns the smile hesitantly. Evie hadn't been nearly as destructive the previous year as she had been their first three, but Franziska doesn't share potions with the Ravenclaws and she's heard some stories about those classes from Holly and Nabila. So she's still generally hesitant around the Ravenclaw.

"Honestly, Professor Quirrell is a nice guy but he's got this habit of not fully thinking things through." Her grin becomes slightly self-deprecating. "A trait I share, as you probably know. I'm Evie by the way. We've never really talked before."

Franziska is honestly surprised by the self-aware observation by the brunette next to her, and it's that that pushes her to put out her hand.

"Franziska, though my friends usually call me Frannie. I admittedly have avoided you since I rather enjoy not being on fire."

Evie snorts as she accepts the handshake. "Fair enough. No fire today, I promise. Holly has been a huge help with that honestly, so if you don't trust my word maybe you could take hers."

Franziska is curious how Holly could have possibly helped with Evie's destructiveness, but she's distracted by her essay being dropped on the desk in front of her. She looks up to find Leona grinning at her.

"You're welcome. Hi Evie, mind if I slide in next to you?" The stout Hufflepuff doesn't wait for an answer before squashing herself into the third seat of their table. "I've got your essay too." She adds, dropping the parchment down in front of Evie, who looks surprised.

"What do you want Leona?" Franziska asks with a wry grin at her friend. Leona being nice means she either wants information or has information, and Franziska isn't sure whether or not to be worried about the overly innocent smile the gossip is giving her.

"Oh nothing. Say, I heard you talking to Henry about Hogsmeade. Are you going with Brandon?"

Franziska blinks "Um, yes? Obviously, he's my boyfriend." She replies, becoming even more suspicious at the seemingly innocuous question.

Leona shrugs. "Just checking. I overheard Charlie and Aidan talking with him yesterday and it didn't sound like he was planning to go is all."

Franziska frowns and glances at Evie. She's not sure she wants to be having this conversation in front of the Ravenclaw who's basically a complete stranger to her - even if she's still not quite sure why the discussion feels particularly monumental.

Evie holds up her hands. "I hear nothing, I see nothing. Henry is that cute brunette boy in your House right? The one always giving Amelia puppy dog looks? He should ask her to Hogsmeade, she'd probably say yes. She thinks he's sweet." It's said idly but it's very effective at popping the tension that had started to build behind Franziska's eyes.

She thinks she might have misjudged Evie. Just slightly.

Muggle Studies goes smoothly after that, and Evie ends up walking with Franziska and Leona to the Great Hall for lunch. She then proceeds to invite herself over to the Hufflepuff table for the sole purpose of helping Leona - and the rest of the girls except Jemma - pestering Henry about talking to Amelia.

Franziska joins the teasing for a few minutes before she spots Brandon sitting at the Gryffindor table and quickly excuses herself so she can go talk to him about Hogsmeade. Leona had worried her, and it's not like she and Brandon had actually talked about going to Hogsmeade together - she'd just assumed they would since they always had in the past.

"Hey Brandon, can I steal you for a minute?" She does her best to make her tone as light and cheerful as possible.

She doesn't miss the pointed look that Charlie shoots his friend as Brandon stands up.

"Of course!  Maybe just outside?" He suggests, and she agrees. A bit of privacy would probably be a good idea.

They end up wandering into the courtyard, and the lingering warmth through the crisp fall air does make Franziska feel a bit better.

"So, I was wondering, what are we doing for Hogsmeade this weekend?" She asks, then quickly corrects herself. "I mean, are we doing Hogsmeade? I'd assumed we would but-"

"If you want to then we will!" Brandon interrupts, sounding almost nervous. "I mean, if you want to go I'll go with you. If you want me to."

Franzisk frowns at him. "I mean, I'd like if you came but do you want to? Leona said that you didn't. I don't want to force you Brandon."

He bites his lip. "Well, I mean, we always do Hogsmeade dates."

She shrugs. "Sure, last year when we were still new and getting to know each other. But if you wanted to stay I can go with my friends. They won't mind." She's honestly a little irritated at Brandon's attitude about the situation.

He stares at his feet. "I mean, I was thinking that maybe I could stay and work on this potion but-"

"No buts." She says, intending to sound firm but she can hear herself snapping. "Stay and do your potion. I'll go to Hogsmeade with the girls. Heck, maybe I'll ask Evie if she's got plans, she's surprisingly fun to talk to."

Brandon still isn't looking at her. "Okay, yeah. Sounds good. I'll see you in class?"

She nods. "See you in History. I'll save you a seat." She quickly smiles at him, but she's not sure he noticed with how quickly he's hurrying back to the Great Hall.

She lingers in the courtyard a few moments longer, thinking back on the exchange. It had been weird - Brandon has always been very confident in himself and what he likes, even when it had annoyed her in the past. She's not sure she likes the change much.

Of course, she's not sure she likes Brandon in quite the same way regardless, but she doesn't want to think about that so she hurries back inside to rejoin her friends.

She does end up asking Evie if she has any plans for Hogsmeade during their Charms class that afternoon, and the brunette's reaction is one of shock and tentative joy.

"I, um, no! No, no plans at all." She stumbles over her words, suddenly nervous. "Do you, um, do you have plans?"

Franziska shrugs and grins. "Apparently not. Want to go together? We can raid Honeydukes and check out the new arrivals at Tomes and Scrolls. If that's okay with you."

"I mean, I guess I could go to my favorite shop with you, yeah." Evie's nerves seem to vanish, but Franziska can see her hands are shaking slightly.

She laughs and bumps shoulders with her new friend. "It'll be fun! And we can stalk Henry and Amelia's first date too!"

Evie giggles as well, agreeing eagerly to the proposition. Franziska leaves Charms feeling light as air, only to realize that she has History next.

She does save Brandon a seat, and when he sits next to her things feel normal, much to her relief.

But she still can't shake the thoughts she'd had in the courtyard, and when Brandon asks if she found someone to go to Hogsmeade with she finds herself trying to trivialize how excited she is about going with Evie.

It's an ugly impulse that pushes the white lie, a sense of guilt for thinking she's going to have more fun with Evie than she would with her boyfriend.

But she doesn't want to think about what that means, so she doesn't.

Ana doesn't go on the first Hogsmeade trip of the year. Instead she slips away to the Divination classroom and sits by one of the crystal balls that was left out after one of the classes.

Normally she would have animagus lessons, but Professor McGonagall had given her the week off to visit Hogsmeade. But with just over two weeks left until she can start actually attempting her animagus transformation she wants to get everything in order to start as quickly as possible.

She still hasn't been able to ascertain when the next electrical storm is going to be, much to her continued frustration. She's one of the better students in Divination but that doesn't seem to count for much when she actually cares about what she's trying to divine.

She places her hands around the ball and focuses the way her Baba had taught her, hoping nobody comes in. While not technically illegal, the methods her Baba used were almost definitely based in Dark Magic and Ana doesn't fancy being expelled this close to her OWLs.

The ball heats and she gets a few flickers of what could be lightning before the surface clears up, and she growls under her breath.

"Oh it's no good to let negative energy flow when you seek answers! The ball will become hazy!" A lilting, slightly warbling voice exclaims, and Ana very nearly drops the crystal ball onto the floor in surprise.

"I, this isn't-" She trails off. She absolutely was just using dark magic, and there really isn't a way to hide it if the newcomer has noticed. Though Ana is hopeful that Professor Trelawney might be tipsy enough to have not caught on - her voice certainly indicates that she's not quite sober at the moment.

"What is it you seek? Perhaps I could be of assistance!" The divination professor says excitedly, completely ignoring Ana's stuttering. "Come now, let an expert peer into the depths of the unknown to discover answers!"

Ana supposes she's lucky that Professor Trelawney isn't upset about her using the room outside of class, and she doesn't want to push that luck considering what she might be getting away with. "Um, alright, thank you Professor. I was trying to discover when the next electrical storm will be."

Professor Trelawney nods sagely. "Ah, of course of course! Why, you shouldn't use the balls for that! Come, let us consult the cards! They are best at seeing the future after all!"

"We haven't studied that in class yet Professor. I'm just a fifth year." Ana admits. Card reading is a NEWT level divination subject, and while she's naturally looked over the theory herself, divination is notorious for being best learned through constant practice.

Professor Trelawney squints at Ana from behind her thick, bug-eye glasses. "Well, I suppose you are. Never you mind, I shall ask the cards for you." She flutters off, and Ana remains glued to her seat, unable to believe her luck.

Trelawney returns after several minutes with a box clutched in slightly shaking hands. "Here we are! Now then, what was your question dear?"

Ana bites her lip, watching as the Divination Professor opens the box and begins laying out the cards. "I was hoping to learn when the next electrical storm will be." She replies after a moment. "How do you know how to order them?" She can't help but ask. The books had been terribly unhelpful on that front, using a lot of vague terms and essentially saying nothing with a whole lot of flowery language.

Professor Trelawney blinks owlishly. "Oh, well, when you're as accomplished as I am the cards will tell you. The question directs the cards after all."

Ana nods uncertainly, not quite understanding. "I'm quite excited to learn about the cards next year." She offers. "Divination has always fascinated me."

"Well you either have it or you don't dear." Professor Trelawney informs her, leaning down to eye the cards. "Ah yes, the next electrical storm will be in eight weeks! Is that helpful?" She sounds hopeful, and it makes Ana rather uncomfortable to have a teacher looking to her for approval. It's a disorder in the way things are supposed to be.

"Yes, extremely. Thank you Professor, I'll see you in class tomorrow." She smiles, and Professor Trelawney absolutely beams.

"Why yes! Wonderful, wonderful. I'll see you tomorrow Ana."

Ana nearly trips. She hadn't realized the professor had actually recognized her. "I, yes. I'll see you tomorrow." She repeats, quickly hurrying back out of the room.

The entire experience feels surreal - but at least she has a date now. Professor Trelawney's predictions are far from regularly accurate, but Ana wants to trust her on this. The entire situation feels entirely too unlikely to be a coincidence, and Ana thinks it's a sign. Divination has taught her that much.

"Eight weeks." She reminds herself. She has eight weeks to get everything prepared for her first transformation.

The rest of the day is spent figuring out exactly how she'll need to time everything in order to be ready in time for the storm.

And the next day she makes extra sure to pay close attention in Divination. Professor Trelawney smiles at her as she's leaving, and both Jerome and Shaun take notice.

"Professor Trelawney was all over you today. Asking you for predictions, looking into your love life. I wonder who this mystery man she says is right in front of you could be." Jerome is clearly teasing, but his words cause a wave of irritation to shoot up Ana's spine.

"Oh please, I think I'd know if there was a boy worth my time around here. But it's just you, unfortunately." She snaps back. Jerome laughs.

"Wouldn't that be a nightmare, you and me romantically? I'd be dead in a week." He declares, walking backwards down the stairs towards the Great Hall.

Shaun frowns at him. "Jerry you're going to trip." He warns. "And Madame Pomfrey threatened to make you heal naturally if you did that again."

Jerome immediately spins to face the right way. "Yes sir!"

Ana is happy when they rejoin Amelia for lunch shortly after and she has decent company again.

"We're doing practicals with boggarts today, right?" Amelia asks as soon as they sit down. "I couldn't remember if it's today or on Thursday. Professor Greengrass just said this week but that usually means the start of the week." She seems nervous at the prospect, which Ana doesn't understand. After three year straight of very minimal practical application in their Defense Against the Dark Arts classes she rather appreciates Professor Greengrass going out of his way to give them some hands-on practice with subjects they'd covered theoretically in the past.

Shaun shrugs. "I think that's the consensus, but we're the first class this week so we'll have to wait and see."

"It'll be fun to see what everyone is scared of!" Jerome chips in cheerfully.

"Will it really though?"

Once again Finnigan Marley has managed to sit next to them without any of them noticing, but Ana is proud that she manages to not jump this time. He's been doing this about twice a week - sitting beside them without actually announcing his presence. Ana thinks it's getting to the point of being a step beyond creepy, but she doesn't really care enough to ask him what the heck he thinks he's doing.

Jerome tilts his head, acting like he hasn't just knocked his water over in his surprise at the other teen's appearance. "I mean, I guess some people won't want to face their fears, but Prof Greengrass wouldn't force someone to do that. Personally I'm curious what my greatest fear is - I can't really think of anything!" He laughs, and Shaun rolls his eyes in fond exasperation.

Amelia is chewing at her lip. "Henry said the same thing, but I suppose I'm still a bit nervous." She says after a moment. She'd gone on what she insists wasn't a date during the Hogsmeade weekend, though both Shaun and Jerome have informed her that the Hufflepuff boy she'd gone with was under the impression that it had been one. Regardless of what it had been, it seems to have gone well since Amelia has already name-dropped Henry six times since returning from Hogsmeade and sat next to him during Charms that morning.

Ana decides to add her own two cents. "I think it would be best to engage with a boggart now rather than find out you can't cast Riddikulus properly when facing one in an actually dangerous situation, but I agree that Professor Greengrass would never force a student to do something they aren't comfortable with."

"That's a good point. Getting to practice in a controlled environment probably isn't an opportunity you'd want to miss." Shaun nods.

"Well some things aren't other people's business. We don't even know half the class, and we're supposed to show them our greatest fears?" Finnigan counters pointedly. Shaun shrugs.

"I mean, it's just the Gryffindors." He points out. "They're a harmless lot really."

"Remi." Ana and Amelia respond simultaneously, and Jerome snorts.

"They do have a point there." He observes. "But Remi has been sort of pouty and generally keeps to himself this year, have you noticed? He's like Evie from two years ago, so maybe there's hope."

"Speaking of, where is she? She usually sits with us at lunch." Amelia says, frowning and scanning the table.

"Hufflepuff table. She made a new friend over the weekend." Jerome supplies. "I'm glad, she never really fit with us very well. Everyone deserves to have a good friend they can rely on." He adds happily.

The rest of lunch slips by quickly, and then it's time for their Defense class. Personally Ana is looking forward to it, though Amelia is clearly still nervous about the possibilities of boggarts.

Her fears prove rational - as soon as the last Gryffindor takes his seat the professor pulls a cloth off a large wardrobe with a flourish.

"Ladies and gentlemen, today is a review day. Wands out, anyone interested can have a go at our borrowed boggart."

Ana immediately pulls out her wand, as does most of the class. Amelia conspicuously doesn't move.

Professor Greengrass beams. "Wonderful, it looks like most of you are willing to give it a go! Myrddin, why don't you start?"

Ana rolls her eyes. Professor Greengrass always lets his nephew try out spells first, which honestly has gotten old. At least Myrddin doesn't seem very happy with the special attention either, as he always seems quite embarrassed when he's called out.

"Actually, maybe someone else could go first this time Professor Greengrass?" He suggests, and Ana wonders if he's a bit nervous to face his fears.

"I'd like to go, if that's alright." She speaks up, raising her hand so she can be identified. "I don't mind being first."

Professor Greengrass frowns at his nephew, but then turns to Ana with a renewed smile. "Of course Ms. Vulchanova. Whenever you're ready."

Ana has to slide past Jerome, who shoots her an obvious thumbs up that she really could have done without. She ignores him and steps to the front of the room, nodding to the professor and shifting into a dueling stance.

The wardrobe swings open, and Professor McGonagall steps out.

Ana blinks, genuinely surprised. She'd thought she'd known what her greatest feat was but this-

McGonagall begins to speak. "Ms. Vulchanova, your performance this year has been atrocious. I simply cannot recommend you continue your-"

Ana knows where this is going now, and she quickly shakes off her shock and flicks her wand. "Riddikulus!"

McGonagall is turned abruptly into a shaved cat, and most of the class starts laughing. Ana nods proudly.

"What was she going to say?" Jerome asks curiously as one of the Gryffindors steps up and Ana returns to her seat.

"Nothing important." She replies shortly. No need to tell the world about her animagus studies - her friends may already know, but the Gryffindors don't, and they don't need to as far as Ana is concerned.

Jerome and Shaun both take their turn facing down the boggart, though Jerome ends up extremely shaken when he finds himself looking at the dead body of a young boy.

"My brother." He mumbles, still stunned, once he gets back to his seat. "Terry, I've told you about him. I didn't think... how did you regain your composure so quickly?" He's not really looking at Ana, shock making his focus drift in and out.

She hums. "I suppose your fear is greater than mine." She suggests.

"Could be the whole fight or flight thing too." Evie offers from behind them. She'd gotten the biggest laugh from the class when she'd made a group of deatheaters start dancing around like drunkards, and she still seems to be on a high from it.

"That's a good point." Shaun responds thoughtfully, and Ana figures it must be one of the infuriatingly many Muggle things she doesn't understand.

Defense is her final class of the day, so once it lets out she sets about finishing her schoolwork well ahead of time in order to leave herself space to work on her animagus preparations over the weekend. She's not sure if Professor McGonagall will provide her with the animagus potion, so once her Arithmancy paper is finished - the last assignment she wanted to complete that day - she begins listing out where she could possible locate the needed ingredients.

"You could just ask Professor Snape." Amelia suggests, glancing over at Ana's parchment. Her friends had joined her in the library at some point and are each working on their own assignments. Finnigan hasn't appeared yet, and it's close enough to dinner now that Ana thinks he won't be joining them.

"You could also ask to be poisoned but I find people generally don't want to tempt fate." Jerome replies for Ana, and she simply waves a hand at him in agreement.

The rest of the week goes similarly, though Ana is relieved when Professor McGonagall informs her during their lesson that Saturday that the potion ingredients will be provided when the time comes - Ana's list is measly at best and she has no idea how to find a few of the ingredients herself. Not that she wants to admit that.

She enters the next week with a sense of anticipation. She's always excited for Halloween and her birthday, but this year the day has a particular importance.

In nine weeks she's going to be a full fledged animagus - and she gets to start actually working towards it once she turns sixteen.

It's going to be a good birthday.

Next time on H:aH - Halloween! Quidditch! More Uncle Cyril being a great teacher! Dating! You know, all the usual stuff xD But jeez, thirty chapters already. It feels both really fast and really slow honestly. Anyway, I hope you're all still enjoying my little tale and are looking forward to the developments coming in the next twenty chapters! Goodness knows I'm excited to be at this point!