chapter eight

Little Coincidences
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeon Raon, as Baekhyun has observed, has a particular way of dressing. Light, pastel and neon colour codes do not exist in her wadrobe. She loves wearing a black leather jacket over black turtlenecks, sometimes striped black and white turtlenecks. Her short shoulder length hair compliments her dark outfits, along with the default stoic face she always has on, when she's not talking to anyone and not watching her favourite shows on the television.

A girl like her, she gives off the impression of someone who shouldn't be messed with. Baekhyun could so use her for his con artist plots, but after hearing her story about how she was scammed, he thinks that she probably has a grudge against con artists. After staying together with her for a month, bickering and sharing little talks with each other (Baekhyun made sure to talk about his life as little as possible), he's grown slightly comfortable with her. Just enough to be able to be less hostile and finally not feel like kicking her out.

Seoul nightlife is super active on a Friday night. A majority of the city youngsters are lining up to get in clubs, waking around with friends or having a toast at local restaurants. In fact, Baekhyun isn't surprised to find himself in a club right now. Hexagon in Gangnam is his favourite club and one of notorious clubs in the area. He's treated like a VIP here and he has a reputation for being one of the most handsome visitors. He can't protest because well, it's kind of true.

Baekhyun's friend also owns this place. Being a con artist is mostly about connections, after all, like how society in South Korea works. If you don't have connections to influential people, you'll hit rock bottom. 

"Baekhyun, you're here, after so long!"

"Oh, Minseok hyung."

Kim Minseok rests his body against the glass railings where the both of them are on the second floor which overlooks the dancing crowd. In his fingers, he is twirling the stem of his cocktail glass. Baekhyun hasn't seen the older male for a month and he notices the new changes in his appearance. Minseok's hair is now an undercut full of jet black curls. This hairstyle suits him more than the blonde middle parting he had last time.

"Great haircut, hyung. It makes you look like a black poodle." Baekhyun snickers. 

"Yah, Byun Baekhyun, you're making me sound too soft. If you go around spreading that, I might kick you out." Minseok laughs and gives him a light punch on the shoulder. It is only a matter of time before he notices the bruises on Baekhyun's face, along with a really obvious, big plaster stuck on his cheek because Raon insisted that it would help him heal faster.

"Woah, what happened to you?" Minseok frowns, concerned. "That looks painful and fresh. You fought yesterday, huh? I didn't know con artists used their fists."

"They don't, most of the time. It's nothing to worry about, I just got in a petty fight yesterday." Baekhyun shuffles under Minseok's stare, wanting to talk about something else now. "Does anyone know you got a new haircut?"

The sudden change of topic is uncalled for, but Minseok understands that Baekhyun must not want to explain who and how he got in the fight. He knows Baekhyun is a secretive person, and rarely shares what happens in his life unless it is really bothering him. 

"Okay, I'm going to kick you out for real." Minseok laughs. 

"You wouldn't do that. I'll ask Lay over there to announce it." Baekhyun says with a playful grin. "YIXING-AH!"

Minseok places his glass on a round high top table near them, slapping a hand over Baekhyun's mouth and pulling him away from the railings before Lay, the club's handsome foreign DJ from China, has the chance to locate the person who has called him.

"Stop, stop, stop!" Minseok releases him. "Woah, Baekhyun, what's up with you today? You're so wild. This is the only club you visit and since you've been gone for a month, I'm guessing you're craving to go crazy. Am I right? Want a private room with any of the girls? A lot of them miss you already. If only you saw how many of them came to ask me where you were last week..."

Baekhyun opens his mouth to speak, but stops. And what you want must be kissing, getting your hands in places you want to touch. I don't get it, while you're at it, take one of them to a motel. Show them how you are in bed, why don't you? The imaginary Joohyuk in his mind is provoking him all of sudden. Stupid Joohyuk. Baekhyun frowns. Although he really wants to prove to Joohyuk that he's going to change for the better, it's ing hard.

He wants the feeling of lips on his skin, feminine arms around his neck, soft fingers his cheek. So many girls in this nightclub will be obliged to give that to him, Minseok can even introduce him to the prettiest ones. There isn't anything holding him back right now. None of his friends are here to condemn him and Minseok knows how Baekhyun likes to roll around here. A single sentence will get him what he wants faster than one can count to five. 

"No, I'll skip. I'm going to go order a drink downstairs."

"Really?" Minseok is a little taken aback at his refusal, but nods. "Careful, it's getting a little wild down there. Make sure you don't get yourself pulled on to the dance floor because it'll be hard to find a way out."

Baekhyun makes his way down and distances himself from the crowds on the dancefloor. Crowds aren't really his thing and he doesn't want to get pulled in like what Minseok has warned him about. He takes a seat at the bar, where he requests for the bartender to surprise him. As he taps his fingers on the counter top, ignoring the flirtatious looks girls are sending him, he spots someone walking his way.

A woman, natural waves of dark brown hair, standing at five foot five. The minimal makeup on her face adds more to her beauty. Men have claimed she's even gorgeous when barefaced. She's walking to him in a tight fitting black dress that shows off her slim figure, and Baekhyun gulps.

"What do you want?" Baekhyun looks over at her with a straight face.

Mijin, the woman who Baekhyun spends the most time in the private room with, smiles at him. "Baekhyun, I haven't seen you here for awhile." She places a hand on his shoulder, moving in to attempt to kiss him.

Baekhyun turns his head the other way, taking his ready cocktail in his hands. "I've been busy with a lot of things. What about you, did you find any other guys better than me?"

"If I did, I wouldn't be following you right now. There's no one like you around here." Mijin walks beside him. "I'd say Minseok's better than you, but he's not flirty at all. Geez, what's the use of owning a club if you're not going to make moves on anyone?"

"Hyung's not a womanizer. He likes to have fun, but he doesn't find that type of thing entertaining."

They arrive at the second floor where Minseok is back to staring at the energetic situation downstairs. From the corner of his eye he can see them coming and he turns to look at them, half surprised to see Mijin with Baekhyun.

"Mijin?"

"Minseok," Mijin winks, "I see you changed your look. Smoking hot as always."

"It takes a lot of hard work to look this good." Minseok laughs while side eyeing Baekhyun, probably saying with his eyes, what is she doing here?

Baekhyun sips on his cocktail. "Mijin, you should go. Minseok and I are busy."

"Sending me away so soon? What a bummer, Byun Baekhyun." Mijin circles her arms around his neck, closing the distance between their bodies. He is a few seconds too slow to react and before he knows it she's kissing him. Baekhyun doesn't close his eyes, he lets Mijin kiss him aggressively. It is a sloppy and wet kiss with no feelings and he doesn't wish to move his lips so he can make this worthwhile because he has no desire for her at all, no matter how popular with the men she is. He is only complying because he doesn't want to cause a scene by forcing her off of him.

Baekhyun holds her shoulders, gently pushing her away from him. He gives her a cold look, his lips in a firm line. "Enough. Just go, Jung Mijin."

"You've never been like this, Baekhyun." Mijin points out, sighing. "Fine, I'm going to do my own thing. I can sense that I'm unwanted here."

Mijin leaves in a sour mood which Baekhyun could care less about. When has that women not beem sour after not getting her way? Minseok stands with him at the table, holding out his glass. Baekhyun manages a smile for the older male and clinks their glasses together.

"She's kind of right, Baek. I thought you'd kiss her back, but you're different today." Minseok examines his expression. "Something bothering you?"

"Huh?" Baekhyun blinks. "It's fine, I'm just not in the mood for Mijin today. Her kisses are getting sloppy, I can see why you don't respond to her advances."

"You shouldn't respond to her too, act like how you did today. Mijin's pretty, she has the looks but she's not loyal."

"You're right on that one. Hey, hyung." Baekhyun isn't quite sure how to put it and scratches the back of his neck. "Has a girl ever cried in front of you?"

Minseok raises his eyebrows at the younger boy's question before giving it some thought. "Good question, does it count if we're watching a sad movie?"

Baekhyun stares at Minseok, unamused. "No. So have you?"

"Actually, now that I think about it, I've never been the reason for a girl's tears." Minseok says. "I don't stoop so low as to make a woman cry. It's just horrible to see someone crying because of you, isn't it? But I guess it depends on the situation."

"Yeah," Baekhyun agrees, forcing a smile and setting his glass on the table, "hyung, I'm going to the bathroom for a bit."

 

 

 

Raon finds herself sitting across Joohyuk at a famous noodle restaurant around the area. The restaurant is quiet since they're a little early for dinner and the place is barely filled. After giving the waiter their orders, she grabs the chance for her to examine him while he's distracted by the other delicious things the menu has to offer. She can definitely see why Joohyuk advertises for cafes, his visuals are up to par with Baekhyun. It's not like she was oblivious of the girls pointing at him when they entered the restaurant earlier. 

What am I thinking? Baekhyun isn't handsome... pfffft! Who am I trying to kid... Where in the world does Byun Baekhyun make all these hot friends anyway? There's Joohyuk, Taehyung, and the other time with this guy called Joongi who dropped by at his place? Woah, he was really handsome, I should've talked to him... All his friends are so nice but he's so different from them. Sometimes, he can be such a jerk.

"Sorry we got off on a bad start last time, I was a bit taken aback." Joohyuk laughs, rubbing his neck. "We're friends now, okay? Don't make moves on me though, I have a girlfriend."

"Don't worry, I'm fine with being just friends." She responds, not disheartened at all at Joohyuk's relationship status. She wonders how his girlfriend feels having a handsome boy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter