twenty one

Little Coincidences
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You're still a hundred million won short," the real estate agent, a man in his mid-fifties dressed in a black windbreaker jacket and grey cargo pants, informs him.

"What do you mean? You told me the place was seven hundred million won before. Does it make sense for the price to hike up by a hundred million?" Baekhyun leans back in the leather couch and scrutinizes the man with eyes. "Listen here, you better not bring up this 'oh, it's because our economy is growing so much, it's probably the inflation period' crap. You already used that excuse. Now spit it, mister, how is it possible that the price has gone up so much since the last time I met you, and you told me that the house would be all mine after the last ten million won payment."

"It's... it's... not under my request," the man says, "the landowner wanted to increase it. So if you have any problems, consult her, otherwise just pay up and settle everything at once! And how does a young man like you have so much money? I don't usually get young customers like you, who come up to me on the spot saying you want to buy a seven hundred million won holiday house in Jeju."

"A hundred million won," Baekhyun stands up ignoring the man's nosy inquiries, "that's how much I have left to pay until that house is mine, am I right?" The man nods but before he can ask him another question about his personal life the bell above the door jingles and Baekhyun is gone.

"What a pain..." Baekhyun murmurs to himself, rubbing his neck. He's going to have to ask Joohyuk to take up another job soon, one that will pay well. 

The weather this morning is pleasant, the sky is clear as blue as ever, unlike the grey sky on dull winter mornings. Baekhyun prefers spring over any other season. He can actually walk on the streets withou feeling too hot or too cold and that is exactly what he is doing now. The real estate place is a twenty minute walk from his house so he opted to take in his surroundings this time. 

He passes by a shopping district on his way home, where some men catch his eye. They are quite a distance away from him and they are each holding what seems to be a picture in their hands as they ask people around. He figures that they must be advertising something so he continues walking, until one of them approaches him and at this moment, it is when he can get a clearer look of what they are really doing.

"Excuse me, have you seen this woman?"

That's... Raon's picture. His girlfriend, printed on the pieces of paper in their hands, smiling back at him as if everything is fine. These guys aren't advertisers at all, they're under Kim Woobin. How the hell did they get her picture? 

Baekhyun stares at the picture for a few more seconds, taking the situation in. He makes eye contact with the man asking him and wonders why the latter does not recognise him. Doesn't he realise he is now face to face with one of the country's best con artists, the same kind as him? Then again, these could just be temporary people working under Woobin, lackeys at the bottom of the ladder.

Baekhyun stares at the picture again, masking his emotions behind a blank expression before shaking his head. "No, I've never seen her before."

I've never seen her before. In a parallel universe, maybe, he would have never seen her. But he has seen her in this world, countless times, to the point where he can no longer picture his life if he had not. When the man leaves Baekhyun alone and he is out of their sight, he makes a run for his house. He can only hope that Raon is still sleeping in. 

By the time Baekhyun arrives, his legs feel like they're burning but he can't be bothered when he bumps in to Raon at the entrance. She is surprised to find him appearing in front of her all of a sudden, with his chest heaving as he takes in big breaths. Baekhyun takes her hand, pulling her to him so he can wrap his arms around her. Words cannot express how relieved he is right now. 

"I was looking all around for you. Where did you go?" Raon brings her hands up to pat his back comfortingly.

"Nowhere special. I just went for a run around the neighbourhood," he decides to reply, since he is dressed in sportswear. 

"You're panting really hard, Baekhyun. Did you really have to run that fast?"

"Yeah, because I keep missing you," he bends his head down, resting his chin on her shoulder. "Even when I look at you, I miss you."

Raon laughs as she his head. "Yah, are you like this because you don't want me to move out?"

"No, do I look that clingy?" Baekhyun pulls away to look at her with a questioning gaze. In fact, he never used to be like this. I-I'm becoming soft. 

"Not at all, you're still the chic and handsome Byun Baekhyun everyone knows," Raon grins and Baekhyun can't help but chuckle at her flattery. "Are you staying at home today?"

Baekhyun hums. "Probably. My time is yours until seven. Why?"

"Hyojoo, Jongdae and Boyoung want to hangout. They told me to bring you along for some reason, but I told them that you were busy."

"Where are you guys going?" Baekhyun asks them, genuinely curious. He doesn't remember the last time he has ever hung out with people his age, other than Joohyuk and Taehyung. Junmyeon rarely has time to have some fun, Minseok too, is busy with his club and Baekhyun would rather read a book alone than hang out with Yunho and all those other con artists he met at the dinner. 

"Gangnam   Boyoung said she wanted to go there  " She tells him, frowning a little. "But Gangnam is more expensive..."

Baekhyun widens his eyes. I saw those bastards near Gangnam. "Right! Gangnam is expensive, let's go somewhere else. They won't mind a change of plans, will they?"

"I don't know, they're a pretty stubborn bunch..." Raon bites on her lip, contemplating whether to message them or not. The chances of them agreeing will probably be twenty percent anyway.

"Tell them I'm coming, and I want to go to..." Baekhyun rakes through his brain as he tries to think of a place far from Gangnam. "Insadong.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter