twenty nine

Little Coincidences
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Being a con artist, Baekhyun has met dozens of millionaires from young to old, of various nationalities. Out of those loaded conglomerates, Li Yifan has got to be the most good-looking. With his distinctly oval face, dyed blonde hair pushed back, piercing eyes and sharp nose. He is exuding an air of confidence from head to toe. Baekhyun almost wonders if he himself is even looking presentable enough. Sitting at this long wooden table across from him is the mastermind behind the technology responsible for a large percentage of China's economic growth. 

Baekhyun is sitting in the middle, Taehyung on his left and Joohyuk on his right. Yifan flashes them a welcoming smile, setting down the menu on the table after they have placed their orders. Out of habit, Baekhyun's eyes start analysing this interesting figure sitting before him. How Li Yifan is feeling, what he may be thinking or perhaps hiding, he wants to deduce all of this through observance. Surely, he must be somewhat aware of the ropes in the criminal world if he knows about them.

"So the rumours are true," Yifan breaks the silence in fluent Korean, causing Baekhyun's eyes to stop shifting. "People around me, or should I say, well... my Korean partners, told me the best con artists in the country were three youngsters in their early twenties but I didn't believe them."

"Business partners?" Baekhyun questions which wipes the smile off of Yifan's face. "I assume not. You see Mr. Li, the syndicate world is very secretive."

"Hyung, what are you trying to do?" Taehyung whispers with widened eyes, realising that the male next to him is starting to get provocative a little too early.

Yifan smirks, leaning back in his hair. "You're trying to imply that the only way I would have known about the three of you would have been if I was associated with any form of illegal associations, no?"

He's fast, being able to pinpoint the exact message behind all these words... This time, Baekhyun decides to not answer, allowing Yifan to continue. 

"You're smart, Byun Baekhyun," he tells him as if he hasn't already known. "But for now what's important is the reason as to why I have picked the three of you to do this work for me. We should discuss that first before anything else."

"The bracelet, am I right?" Joohyuk asks once for confirmation. "We have everything settled. Baekhyun here will seduce the heiress to Shinhwa Group."

Now, this gets Yifan's attention. He seems to be extremely amused at this with how he leans closer, gesturing his fingers for them to near their faces too. "Seduce? I like where this is going. Is that how you will get the bracelet off of her?"

Before they answer, the waitresses enter with the dishes. They are traditional Korean dishes, elegantly plated and displayed in the middle of the table, waiting to be eaten. But none of them dig in yet, they remain silent until they are the only four left in the room once again, and continue their conversation from there. 

"Yes, it should be fairly easy," Taehyung reaches for the food, stuffing them in his mouth first to the bewilderment of the three males older than him. "I managed to get ahold of the layout of the house through the Korean Estate Database. Hacking surveillance cameras is no problem. We're just concerned with the arrangements, you said you would take care of them, right?"

"Of course, I already have your names on the list. Baekhyun, you will be the CEO of an affiliate company of Dacheng Innovations. At this dinner, you will not be Byun Baekhyun. You will be Lee Hajoon of Micro Tech and as for the other details, you should fully capable of brainstorming something." Yifan's eyes look at him in a sort of inquisitive manner, as if his eyes are speaking on his behalf. 

"Yes, we can do that," Baekhyun replies with an air of confidence, "but how sure are you that we won't get caught?"

"Let's just say..." Yifan trails rather dully, "Park Areum is well known for being quite an airhead. Her ual appeal is the only thing she has to offer, from what my Korean acquaintances have told me. And your looks will distract her enough. You don't have to worry so much. Just make sure that she leads you somewhere with no security cameras."

Baekhyun doesn't take in the indirect compliment from Yifan, he is too busy calculating. He will let Joohyuk bump in to her while she is holding some champagne, and if she seems to be on the verge of falling he will take her hand to steady her. His flirtatious facade will attract her to him in a matter of a few sentences. Sure she can't be that much of an airhead to notice his ulterior motives, perhaps he should let her have a few drinks to keep her guard down just in case. As he plans this, the uneasiness inside him manifests in to guilt. He is going to be having another woman in his arms while the woman he loves will probably be on her bed and staring at her phone, waiting for his message or anything from him at all. But this is the only way he can give up everything related to the syndicate world.

He never imagined that a time like this would come. He thought he would have at least continued being a con artist until his thirties, but he doesn't want to live this way any longer. He also wants to get Joohyuk and Taehyung out of this because he knows they can acheive much greater things with the potential they have.

"So, I will expect to see the three of you at the event?" Yifan asks them. "If so, then let us begin eating. Shall we?"

The three of nod their heads in an instant, before Baekhyun reassures him with seriousness. "We'll do whatever it takes to get that bracelet in our hands."

"I look forward to it. I have high expectations from the three of you."

 

 

 

On the night of the grand mission, Baekhyun find himself outside the Daebak Soft building. He has thirty minutes to spare before he needs to be at Shinhwa's grand venue at their main hotel branch situated on the other side of the city. He had been arguing with Joohyuk about wanting to see Raon, much to the younger one's complaints that he would have all the time in the world to be with her after doing what they need to, but Baekhyun has always been an expert at negotiating. That is why he's waiting by the car while Joohyuk and Taehyung have the windows down to annoy him.

"Would it kill you to wind the windows up?" Baekhyun crosses his arms as he leans against the car, giving them an annoyed stare. 

Joohyuk opens a bag of chips (did he specifically buy that to watch them?) and shakes his head. "No, no. We have the right to have our windows down and humiliate you because you're the one who insisted on c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter