seventeen

Little Coincidences
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

a/n: back after a long absence, enjoy~

 

Baekhyun never paid attention to those words Raon had told him the first time they met. Ever since then, the thought of erasing memories have never crossed his mind, not even once. He finds it absurb that someone so ordinary as Jeon Raon claims that she has some sort of superpower, but throughout the time they have spent getting to know each other better, Raon doesn't appear so ordinary to him anymore. She is definitely more than that, with her eccentric habits and overly optimistic mannerisms. Perhaps it is just something that graphic designers have after designing so many fictional game characters with over the top personalities. 

But once again, the phrase I can erase memories escapes her lips. Baekhyun thinks the girl is playing games at first since she is drunk, until she grabs ahold of the man's arm. They have already caused quite a scene in the restaurant to the extent where the waiters have seemed to stop serving midway, still holding plates of unserved chicken. Her fingers clench tighter on the man's arm and nothing happens for the next twenty seconds. The only unusual thing is that the man, instead of causing a commotion, is still with his eyes fixed on the ground. 

Baekhyun knows that now would be a good time for them to leave, but he stays. He wants to see whether all of this is real or not. He glances over at Taehyung and Joohyuk who are focusing on the scene too. Finally, when he fixes his eyes on the man again, he comes back to his senses. There is no longer the same expression of cockiness dislayed on the man's face. His eyes are opened wide, alarmed at his unfamiliar surroundings as he scans around the place. He turns around to look at his friends. His friends are expecting him to know who they are, since of course, this shouldn't be real, but what he says next...

"Where am I?"

Baekhyun grabs ahold of Raon's wrist right away. "Taehyung, Joohyuk, let's go. We're leaving."

"Huh, already?" Taehyung frowns, getting up from his seat and following behind.

"Wait! Today is my treat   I haven't paid yet," Raon fumbles with her purse, however Baekhyun keeps pulling her to the point where everytime she gets close to opening it, he tugs her hand again. 

"That isn't important right now. You can pay me back later," Baekhyun tells her strictly, slapping a hundred thousand won bill on the counter before they exit the restaurant, out on to the freezing streets.

Taehyung and Joohyuk come out shortly after, confused at Baekhyun's sudden hurriedness. The both of them are waiting for the older male to say something.

"Sorry, but you guys can take a taxi home, right?" Baekhyun asks them. 

"Mhm," Joohyuk nods, "no problem. I'm sort of sobered up, I guess? I'll take one with Taehyung. And hyung... about Raon   Back there, do you think   "

"I don't know now Joohyuk-ah, I really don't," Baekhyun runs his hand through his hair. "I have to investigate about it at some point, but now I have to bring Raon away from here before people come out and start asking questions."

"I see, alright. Maybe you might want to look in to it. You two should go now," Joohyuk musters up a smile, waving at them. 

Baekhyun forces a smile in return, Joohyuk can probably see that it's fake. He starts to lead Raon to where he parked the car, which is nearby. Thankfully, she isn't completely wasted so she can walk steadily enough to not fall every three seconds. After helping her in the car and settling in his own seat, he rests his head against the headrest, letting out a huge sigh of relief. 

So she can really erase memories after all. She's been living with me for more than two months, was it really not that obvious? Then again, she did mention it when we first met but I thought she was lying. Baekhyun leans over towards Raon to help her buckle her seatbelt. How can she still fall asleep in this situation? He stays in that position for awhile without pulling away. He stares at her sleeping face, smirking when he can hear her faint snores. The first thing that came to his mind when that thug really lost his memories moments ago was that he had to get Raon out of there. He wanted to protect her first more than anything else, like how she wanted to protect him back there.

"Don't mess with Baekhyun..." he repeats her words, a smile finding it's way on his lips. "Raon, you're really something."

Baekhyun pulls away, buckles his own seatbelt and turns his key in the ignition. They arrive at a nearby convenience store in no time where Baekhyun exits the car for a minute to buy a bottle of water, as well as something for himself. When he returns, he uncaps it and presses the cold bottle on Raon's face.

Raon's eyebrows furrow together as she stirs awake, squinting at him. 

"Drink this, it should help you sober up. Your throat must be dry from all that unnecessary talking."

She takes the bottle from him, taking a big gulp. "How'd we get here so fast? And where did Taehyung and Joohyuk go?"

"I sent them off, they're fully capable of finding a way home by themselves. As for us, you know how it is. My muscles are sore as hell from having to lug you with me to the car," Baekhyun massages his arm.

"You didn't have to lug me," she huffs, "I'm perfectly fine when I'm drunk, I act as if I'm sober!"

"You're horrible at convincing people," Baekhyun shakes his head, looking out the window at the occasional passing car, bothersome thoughts lingering on his mind. "Hey, do you remember what happened at the restaurant?"

Raon rubs her face. "I drank too much beer, everything is too hazy. I probably wasn't in my right mind back there. Why? Did something happen?"

"No, nothing. We just... drank and talked, you know, the usual," he drums his fingers on the wheel.

"Oh," she says simply, gulping her water.

Quietness settles in the confines of Baekhyun's car. It's getting a little awkward now with neither of them continuing the conversation. He looks over at Raon just as the girl turns her head to also look at him and at the sudden eye contact, Baekhyun immediately turns his head to the window, feeling his heart beat erratically in his chest. There's something wrong with him, he is sure of it and to say that it has nothing to do with Jeon Raon is an outright lie. 

"Crazy question, but say by chance, if I was in a fight and were to almost get punched by someone, what would you do?" Baekhyun doesn't look at her when he asks.

"I'd stop them of course, even if they look intimidating" she starts soft, lifiting her head to look at him, "because I don't want to see you get hurt."

Baekhyun returns his attention to her, or rather this time, her lips. "What do you think of me? Honestly."

"W-what kind of question is that?" she stutters, hesitating for a bit. "I think you're... charming. You're handsome, ask anyone on the street and they'll say so, women must think you're perfect. But that's not the Byun Baekhyun I know. The Byun Baekhyun I know is not the most perfect human, he gets conflicted with his emotions  often and doesn't always know what to do, he's not used to asking people for opinions on his personal problems. He's very curt at times to the people around him and may have hurt them, but it has never once been intentional. I think he only does that because he looks like he has suffered a lot from a young age and to protect himself, he acts this way so people don't hurt him."

Not once has Baekhyun taken his eyes off of her the whole duration she is telling him this. She had been smiling warmly the minute she began talking and even now there is the same smile on her face. She hasn't known him since he was a child but the fact that she has managed to get everything spot on from staying with him for two months says something. All this time she must have observed every little thing about him and Baekhyun feels guilty for not knowing more about her, for once thinking that she was a nuisance leeching off of him. 

"What do you think are the chances of you falling for me?" he leans towards her from his seat, one side of his bum almost lifting. When his face is inches away from her, he notices the bewildered expression Raon has on her face. Her lips are quivering, as if she is afraid her whispers will graze his face. His eyes fixed on hers, he lets out a soft hum, "or have you already fallen for me?"

"N-no?" She squeaks, holdi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter